• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
That is ridiculous and honestly quite offensive to places like Taiwan where democracy works great. Do you think Mainland Chinese are too stupid for democracy or what? The PRC could absolutely work as a federal state with democracy.
I think there might be some sense to that argument because China is just so goddamn big. A democratically elected leader might not be able to please everyone, the place is its own mini continent.

Though they havent even tried so who can say.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
I had a longer post ready but I'm terrible at expressing political thoughts and English is not my native language so I will just say that a difference must be made between the government and the people, especially when the people can't decide of its government.

I don't think anybody here blames the Chinese people for their government's actions

Deleted member 2761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I took it that he is insinuating you fetishized your wife because of her race as do all other white people who marry Asian wives.

That's... Not a very nice thing to say. I hope it's not what he had in mind.

The insinuation is neither about Asian women chasing after visas, nor is it about characterizing your relationship as some sort of fetish thing.

To clarify, the joke is that a lot of white husbands on Era like to trot their Asian wives out as stepstools for their personal opinions about Asian affairs. It's our version of "I have a black friend."

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Japan and the US were to be expected but what's up with Sweden. Why do you guys dislike them so much? Was the sentiment always like this?

Well anyway, Sinophobia is still widespread in the world and on this forum quite a lot too.

Last edited:

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
I had a longer post ready but I'm terrible at expressing political thoughts and English is not my native language so I will just say that a difference must be made between the government and the people, especially when the people can't decide of its government.
The lack of accessibility to Education doesn't help either
The insinuation is neither about Asian women chasing after visas, nor is it about characterizing your relationship as some sort of fetish thing.

To clarify, the joke is that a lot of white husbands on Era like to trot their Asian wives out as stepstools for their personal opinions about Asian affairs. It's our version of "I have a black friend."
Oh, I see.
That wasn't my goal, sorry if it looked like this.

Oct 27, 2017
Don't like China as a country one bit. Don't like their authoritarian government and also how they give the finger to international copyright laws, they don't think twice about stealing everything they see. I'm sure there's plenty of wonderful people in China though.
By the way, holy shit Japanese people really hate China don't they.

Swauny Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't like China as a country one bit. Don't like their authoritarian government and also how they give the finger to international copyright laws, they don't think twice about stealing everything they see. I'm sure there's plenty of wonderful people in China though.
By the way, holy shit Japanese people really hate China don't they.

Japan hates China and vice-versa. They have a long history of wrongdoing towards one another and I doubt that animosity goes away anytime soon.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising that the perception of China has dropped in the last couple years.

From about 1992-2010, the dominant Western news stories praised China for progressively liberalizing their society and for liberalizing their economy. Even if they weren't committed to either, that was the narrative... That liberalizing their economy and markets has brought more people out of poverty, more quickly, than any other time in human history.

China was never truly committed to a liberal society or liberal economy, but Western media caught up to that started in 2010 when the surveillance society became ever more apparent. In the last tow years, media coverage of China from the West has accurately dug up and covered these stories:
  • Spyware/backdoors shipping in Chinese-made devices
  • The total cover-up of the Tienamen Square protests and massacre for the 30-year anniversary
  • China exporting it's surveillance state technology / bureaucracy to dictatorships and autocracies
  • Most importantly, that the Chinese Communist Party has been running a vast genocide and ethnic cleansing campaign on millions of Chinese. This was a story that China vehemently denied for years, but it's been brought to light only in the last 1-2 years.
Ethnic cleansing, genocide, political and cultural mass murder, were things that were hallmarks of the old Chinese Community Party. It's things that only happened during the Cultural Revolution, Great Leap Forward, or in the years that China was closed off from the West. To see a large scale, coordinated, mass murder, genocide, and ethnic cleansing campaign in 2018 and 2019 is something that the West hadn't really thought was possible. And, importantly, it's only come to light globally because of Western journalism and reporting.

The spyware/backdoors/surveillance stuff might not pique your interest if you're a human or civil rights advocate... Maybe you equivocate and say "eh, did you ignore the Snowden revelations...?! Have you ever seen the cameras in London?? Why should this matter??" (even though to any informed honest person the scale of the Chinese surveillance state dwarfs that of every country in the world), but once the revelations about the Chinese genocide and ethnic cleansing campaign started to become common knowledge, it's tough to ignore and you can't equivocate.

Yep. The West mistakenly thought that the liberalization of their economy would lead to the liberalization of society and an increased demand for democracy.

Instead we just helped build up and enrich the most powerful and largest authoritarian regime in modern history. Oops!

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yep. The West mistakenly thought that the liberalization of their economy would lead to the liberalization of society and an increased demand for democracy.

Instead we just helped build up and enrich the most powerful and largest authoritarian regime in modern history. Oops!
there are plenty in the West who still believe that capitalism inherently creates liberal democracy, and if it failed to do so it must be because the government was involved and corrupted it

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Japan and the US were to be expected but what's up with Sweden. Why do you guys dislike them so much? Was the sentiment always like this?

Well anyway, Sinophobia is still widespread in the world and on this forum quite a lot too.
Being critical of the CCP isn't Sinophobia just like being critical of the Israeli government isn't anti-semitism.

As for Sweden: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gui_Minhai

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
I feel sorry for the people, their government is a piece of work.

Dec 24, 2017
Jesus, some of the responses on this thread are going places. Like to an Intro to Asian-American studies class as an example of societal bias and rationalization of said bias when confronted by the targets of the bias.

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017

Sinophobia and hating on the CCP are two different things. I love Taiwan, Hong Kong, I love Chinese food, and Chinese individuals. What I don't like is anyone supporting the CCP regime, mainland Chinese or not.

Oct 29, 2017
My wife is Chinese and I have spent considerable time in China (going again next week). I have met some amazing people there, experienced some amazing things, and overall love it when I visit. I don't agree with the decisions of their government, nor does my wife who is still a Chinese citizen but I still have a favorable opinion of the country as a whole. For those who have spent no time there or have no ties to the country, I can see the Chinese government being the only thing that shapes their opinion.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017

Sweden, along with the other Scandinavian nations, is one of the most progressive nations in the world. Is it really that strange that they'd have a negative view of a country that imprisons and murders its own civilians over nothing and tries to bully the rest of the world with its economic strength?

But no, it must be Sinophobia, even though nobody here or in the poll are implied to hate Chinese people as a whole.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My wife is Chinese and I have spent considerable time in China (going again next week). I have met some amazing people there, experienced some amazing things, and overall love it when I visit. I don't agree with the decisions of their government, nor does my wife who is still a Chinese citizen but I still have a favorable opinion of the country as a whole. For those who have spent no time there or have no ties to the country, I can see the Chinese government being the only thing that shapes their opinion.

There are plenty of great things and great people in, e.g., Saudi Arabia and Israel as well.

When we look at polling or discussions like these, the core issue is always going to be how the nation(s) as entities treat their own people and those of other nations, not about how nice they are for tourists or those with privilege.

Deleted member 4552

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the problem is that when it suits the west to present a united front it calls itself 'the west' to further solidarity. when it is unpleasant to the west to be associated with each other then the west is 'problematic' and the finger pointing begins.

Except we don't, but you Brits and Yanks continue do whatever the fuck you like, insist everyone subscribe to your world view and declare them racist when they don't.

You include me in the colonial past and you can go fuck yourself.

Oct 29, 2017
There are plenty of great things and great people in, e.g., Saudi Arabia and Israel as well.

When we look at polling or discussions like these, the core issue is always going to be how the nation(s) as entities treat their own people and those of other nations, not about how nice they are for tourists or those with privilege.
Yeah, my point that clearly went over your head is are going to have different opinions based on your own experiences in a country. I'm sorry that you aren't "privileged" enough to experience the world and your only opinions of it are based on news articles and era threads but there are good people out there living the best lives they can just like me and you and if you live with them for a couple of months or so you will have a different appreciation for their way of life and their culture. You remind me of my aunt who told me that having a bible in China would get me arrested. Turns out some hotels there have bibles in the drawer just like in the US. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, my point that clearly went over your head is are going to have different opinions based on your own experiences in a country. I'm sorry that you aren't "privileged" enough to experience the world and your only opinions of it are based on news articles and era threads but there are good people out there living the best lives they can just like me and you and if you live with them for a couple of months or so you will have a different appreciation for their way of life and their culture. You remind me of my aunt who told me that having a bible in China would get me arrested. Turns out some hotels there have bibles in the drawer just like in the US. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

Just to be clear: Are you seriously using your personal enjoyment of your visit to China to excuse concentration camps and genocide?

Dreaver

Oct 27, 2017
You clearly are trying to defend China though by your straw man argument of "the West".

What western propaganda regarding China are you referencing?

Also please don't use culture as an excuse for human rights atrocities.

Impressively shit take, well done.

Edit: unless this is parody, hard to tell sometimes
Looks at the polls: why do you think most developed, rich countries don't like China? If you make a poll of the US is "favorable" in i.e. Africa, Middle-East I'm sure you can guess the answer.
China is being seen as a treat to the west because they are not our ally and they will become more powerful than the US.
There's so much negative news about China. To give you some examples: the new silk road and the 5G network. They would "spy on us", I don't think there's proof on that. I would also like to remind you the NSA does exactly the same, but I guess we forgot that already. And yes, all purposefully "creating" bad news is a form of propaganda. And yes, I despise that they exploit people, don't respect human right and have prisoner camps. I hope that will change. That's just wrong.

My point is, If you consider China "purely evil" (fair enough), then also look at a good look at Western politics (mostly US), because some of them are pretty similar "evil". I can recommend Understaind Power by Noam Choamsky and The Shockdoctrine by Naomi Klein). And stop using all the items from China, including your phone because they support exploiting those people.

I'm not going into discussion after this post. It's a waste of time. You can have your opinion, I can have mine (and I don't think they are that far off...)

Last edited:

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

Nah, but you might get disappeared for trying to teach the Quran online.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
there is a Live

Democracy, Freedom, Progressiveness of Speech, Equality are things China doesn't have

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Looks at the polls: why do you think most developed, rich countries don't like China? If you make a poll of the US is "favorable" in i.e. Africa, Middle-East I'm sure you can guess the answer.
China is being seen as a treat to the west because they are not our ally and they will become more powerful than the US.
There's so much negative news about China. To give you some examples: the new silk road and the 5G network. They would "spy on us", I don't think there's proof on that. I would also like to remind you the NSA does exactly the same, but I guess we forgot that already. And yes, all purposefully "creating" bad news is a form of propaganda. And yes, I despise that they exploit people, don't respect human right and have prisoner camps. I hope that will change. That's just wrong.

My point is, If you consider China "purely evil" (fair enough), then also look at a good look at Western politics (mostly US), because some of them are pretty similar "evil". I can recommend Understaind Power by Noam Choamsky and The Shockdoctrine by Naomi Klein). And stop using all the items from China, including your phone because they support exploiting those people.

I'm not going into discussion after this post. It's a waste of time. You can have your opinion, I can have mine (and I don't think they are that far off...)

I never brought up Western countries you did that yourself. If your only contribution to threads like this is stanning for China in the most transparent way possible please don't come back.

Deleted member 41502

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Asking people if a country with the size and population of China is "good" or "bad" just seems absurd to me. Like there's things the Chinese government does that are bad, horrible even, but theres a fucking billion Chinese people. Smart. Dumb. Poor. Rich. Was the survey really "what do you think of China?"

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I think there might be some sense to that argument because China is just so goddamn big. A democratically elected leader might not be able to please everyone, the place is its own mini continent.

Though they havent even tried so who can say.

They could start by letting Tibet and the Uighur region go first. Those places weren't even part of China for the most part of its history.

Maybe even divide the North and South of China. But it'll be hard considering what China is now. Before the large swathes of internal migration in the 80s and 90s, Northern and South China were very different. In the past, they were even separate political entities at times. But for the past 20-30 years, people have moved and intermingle everywhere which has made the national language Mandarin the main language for everywhere. For a long time Cantonese Chinese was the lingua franca of Southern China. You can still hear it a lot in Guangdong, but you definitely won't hear it in Shenzhen which was a newly developed and planned city.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Asking people if a country with the size and population of China is "good" or "bad" just seems absurd to me. Like there's things the Chinese government does that are bad, horrible even, but theres a fucking billion Chinese people. Smart. Dumb. Poor. Rich. Was the survey really "what do you think of China?"
Listen, if we're gonna have another cold war, we're gonna need a new Evil Empire.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I don't think modern societies are well equipped to deal with populations that large when you take into account social media and stuff. It's not always sensible to conflate a population with its government but when you combine 1 billion people and extremely vocal minorities then it becomes much easier. If you can reliably expect some amount of "angry Weibo users" to defend the most absurd shit imaginable then it's easy to see how it affects perceptions.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Well, can you really separate the government from the population? Populace might not have a hand in a decision making and be perfectly fine, good people in a vacuum, but being from the quite similar country, from the political system perspective at least, I can assure you, that state level propaganda, however bad it might be from the outside perspective, does have an impact on a simple folk, the vast majority of people either don't care for the bad things their country does, or support it because of their ultra-patriotic zeal.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I'm not a geopolitics expert, but the correlation on the map seems to be that the more a country has to actually deal with China, the less they like China.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
The Chinese government is shit, but it also sucks how all Chinese people get lumped into one. Some of the stuff I hear sounds borderline racist. We are talking about a country with over a billion people comprised of many different cultures.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018

call me crazy but the world being caught in the middle between 2 superpower bickering is a recipe for disaster. We need a 'third superpower' to balance it out...

it's clear that china will never the the global leader role it seeks to crave while the US's role (& image) as global arbiter is slipping through its finger faster than a Lockheed Martin SR-72 and doesn't seems recoverable anytime soon (no, a change of president will not do that).

i don't know which country can rise up enough to break the current dichotomy (Russia and EU are lost forever IMO, India still got a long way to go).