• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
I cant even play with my friends in most multiplayer games I'm interested in because they either didnt make their first party games compatible with playing with friends or didnt include an online mode at all. I cant even do basic functions from stuff I was doing on the og xbox back in 2004. Their online offering should never have been charging people money. It's one of the biggest jokes in the industry.

I honestly would feel ripped off even if it was free
I understand that, so why have the system if it is that important to you? I don't understand paying $300 for a system that doesn't have any of the features you want. You said it is a ripoff even if it was free, yet you bought a Switch and continue to buy Switch games...I don't get it.

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
There are a lot of legit complaints to be made about Nintendo Switch Online, but the NES game selection is not really one of them, in my experience. Even with the frustrating dripfeed, with the current selection of games that's worth $20 a year alone, easily. I get some people are just sick and bored of NES games, and that's fine, but the 3 and a half Super Mario Bros. games alone are worth $20.

Don't get me wrong though, SNES and Game Boy games need to happen sooner than later. We are hitting bottom-of-the-barrel NES games, with just a handful of good ones left. but I would have always paid $20 even just to access the current selection for a year. There's some real classics there.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
This service isn't worth $2 a month??? When we just got the ability to buy vouchers that can save up to $40 on games over the next year?

Why can't people just...not buy the service? Or sell your Switch if you are that upset with Nintendo. I don't get the criticism vs the cost.

I just think this idea that "sell it if you aren't happy with it" is really disingenuous. I can wish something was better even if I'm having enough fun to continue using it. "Better than nothing" is an excuse to keep from doing better.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Imagine if they took the magic that was in the Wiiu and applied it to the already established Switch. Nintendo would rule the world.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
He's right. Nintendo's drip-feed approach is garbage. So is their intent on sticking to old NES games that no one gives a fuck about. Seriously, Volleyball? I assume they have metrics in place to see how much people are playing these games and that should tell them something, but clearly it doesn't.

Assuming they're going to start drip-feeding SNES games next, at this rate we'll never even reach N64, GBA, DS, let alone GameCube titles before the console dies and the cycle starts anew again. Fucking Nintendo, sometimes...

Searsy82

May 13, 2019
I don't need the games updated with Online play. Release them as is and local multiplayer only and open the fire hose of content.

JustALurker

Feb 12, 2019
I got NSO for free via twitch prime but currently I don't see myself paying for the service Nintendo is offering in the future, especially at the rate they're adding things and how much better PS+/XBLG are in terms of functionality (e.g. Voice Chat, make parties, etc.)

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I can understand complaining about the whole service but calling out the single NES games doesn't make any sense, these are historic games (personally i have no problem with Solomon's key) and there are some great ones.

They've recently released Super Mario Lost Levels which is a classic even from previous Virtual Console iterations.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I understand that, so why have the system if it is that important to you? I don't understand paying $300 for a system that doesn't have any of the features you want. You said it is a ripoff even if it was free, yet you bought a Switch and continue to buy Switch games...I don't get it.
There is a distinction between being unhappy with the system and single player games and being unhappy with the online components and offerings of said system. I only stated issues with the latter, not sure where you got that I was aggrieved with the system entirely

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When you consider how the Wii had N64 games on it's store day 1, it's such a missed opportunity by Nintendo.

I can't fathom why they haven't made a more robust virtual store with their retro offerings.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The NES drip feed games are so rdiculous. All NES, SNES, N64, and GC 1st party games should be there by default.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He owns one and I don't think he hates it at all. He was upset at the stock bs Nintendo was pulling with the original release

Yeah I recall that very well but IIRC he also had it in for the cord length and how he thought the vast majority of games on it weren't worth Jack, he hates Balloon Fight that's for sure.

But it was just a joke anyway.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, it's not great but it's cheap and I just got a free year through twitch so I can't complain. I also only play online with randoms so less of a big deal for me the lack of certain features

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
I just think this idea that "sell it if you aren't happy with it" is really disingenuous. I can wish something was better even if I'm having enough fun to continue using it. "Better than nothing" is an excuse to keep from doing better.
It's a videogame system, it's not life support. People are claiming that Nintendo is being anti-consumer by offering this service, correct? And the solution is to keep buying stuff and keep paying for NSO?
It's not a great service. I held out until I needed it for online play, but even playing and communicating with pals is more of a hassle than it needs to be. I paid for it, it's not great, not sure why the service can't be criticized. Most complaints are typically arguing for general improvements or game options.
No one is saying it can't be criticized, nothing is perfect...come on man. Just my opinion that the value is well worth $2/month. At no time did I say it is perfect or above criticism or that people criticizing are bad people.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I agree that the service is quite poor, but are there any big-hitter first party NES games that aren't on NSO yet?
I guess not, which is why they should move on to the SNES lol
I don't even think this monthly drip-feed is a good thing, regardless. Coming out with, say, ten new games every few months (if they really want this to be a continuous update, even if unnecessary) mixing big-hitters and not-so-big-non-hitters makes a much bigger splash than "Hey, have this three games no-one will play this month".

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
This service isn't worth $2 a month??? When we just got the ability to buy vouchers that can save up to $40 on games over the next year?

Why can't people just...not buy the service? Or sell your Switch if you are that upset with Nintendo. I don't get the criticism vs the cost.
Nope, it's complete shit and we have a right to criticize. Why should I sell my Switch? I want to play games on it, I don't see why wanting very, very basic features like messaging is somehow asking too much

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Charging admission to a crummy service that basically every Switch owner will feel compelled to buy anyways is the best console racket.

Oct 25, 2017
I have absolutely no interest in service based nes games on switch. All I want is to chat and play with friends. Even then, their multiplayer offerings are often bare bones. I'd say it's the worst value service compared to the competitors.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He's right. Nintendo's drip-feed approach is garbage. So is their intent on sticking to old NES games that no one gives a fuck about. Seriously, Volleyball? I assume they have metrics in place to see how much people are playing these games and that should tell them something, but clearly it doesn't.

Assuming they're going to start drip-feeding SNES games next, at this rate we'll never even reach N64, GBA, DS, let alone GameCube titles before the console dies and the cycle starts anew again. Fucking Nintendo, sometimes...
I very much doubt we'll get another reset. Sub services are about adding value over time.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
It's a videogame system, it's not life support. People are claiming that Nintendo is being anti-consumer by offering this service, correct? And the solution is to keep buying stuff and keep paying for NSO?

Yes, because like I said I can both want it to be a little better but still feel the overall game experience is worth it. It's not some binary thing where I have to not play nintendo games at all just because I'm unhappy with their online components.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017

No one is saying it can't be criticized, nothing is perfect...come on man. Just my opinion that the value is well worth $2/month. At no time did I say it is perfect or above criticism or that people criticizing are bad people.

No sweat, sorry if I misinterpreted your post.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the first month in awhile where we got three unique games without one of them being some jack-off's save state of an already released game marked as "special."

Woffls

Nov 25, 2017
London
Eh, you get what you pay for, but there should be a better service available for more money that means I don't have to use Discord to talk to my friends on Mario Kart and wait forever to join the same lobby.

Given that option I might still opt for the current offering because I simply don't care for playing Nintendo games online.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Nope, it's complete shit and we have a right to criticize. Why should I sell my Switch? I want to play games on it, I don't see why wanting very, very basic features like messaging is somehow asking too much
Again, where is anyone saying that no one can criticize this, that it is perfect? Seems I hit a nerve with people, not understanding how you can be so vehemently against a product and yet still support it. Oh well. 🤷‍♀️

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Are people defending Nintendo's atrocious approach to online? Holy shit.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018

I'd say a lot of people unhappy are already not buying the service or not going to renew.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017

God forbid people are critical of system functions but still able to enjoy the system. How the hell is that so weird? I can enjoy Smash Ultimate local single player/multiplayer and still acknowledge that the online service is fucking garbage lol

It's not entitlement to want their online service to at least be passable, good lord.

fuck off jim solomon's key rules

Yeah Solomon's Key is dope. :(

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Yes, because like I said I can both want it to be a little better but still feel the overall game experience is worth it. It's not some binary thing where I have to not play nintendo games at all just because I'm unhappy with their online components.
I don't understand that but do what is best for you.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's terrible for any asking price.

No invites, no voice, no text messages.

I'm not complaining about the quality or age of the free games though. I see them as an addition, not the core service. The free games are the only thing I agree on with people going "You can't expect more for that price."

-> This argument is BS though when applied to all the other failures of Nintendo's online service, such as lack of any kind of communication and methods to easily play together. Let alone actual online quality of gaming. The price is NO excuse for that. If you offer a dedicated paid online service, these are the bare minimum features that should just work, no matter the monthly cost.

Rolodzeo

Nov 10, 2017
Spain, EU
Service is terrible and should've remained free. That being said, is it worth 20€ per year for some people? Sure, but you can't deny the fact that it's as barebones as an online ecosystem can get, and the 3 NES games per month is almost a joke compared to, say, what XBLG offers.

Deleted member 56773

Banned
May 16, 2019
Biggest mistake Nintendo made was 1) not make a real online component to the Switch and 2) not include at least a hundred retro games right off the bat with the online service. If nintendo online was like $10/month, worked like PS4 or xbox, and STARTED at 50 NES, 30 SNES, and 5 N64 and then added several games a month everyone would have flipped out and loved it and they woulda sold even more consoles.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My mind is still absolutely baffled by this sequence of events:

- 3DS Ambassador Program includes emulated GBA games (Minnish Cap among others)
- Nintendo NEVER makes these games available for purchase on the store for the 3DS
- The only way to buy them and play them without emulators or the original cartridge is on Wii U, which is not a portable system, and thus loses one of the GBA's primary features
- They finally make an even more powerful console that is portable and GBA games (as well as all other emulated VC game) are unavailable.

WHY DOES NINTENDO WANT ME TO FUCKING PIRATE THEIR GAMES WHEN I'M WILLING TO PAY FOR THEM?!

I will not be paying for a handheld game on a console connected permanently to a TV, Nintendo. I can do that for free already. If you want me to pay that price, you better make it worth my while, by making those games as widely available on as many platforms as possible, and, ideally, with cross-buy. Kind of like how i can get an nVidia shield and have access to literally all my steam games, or how my Bone X has access to all my 360 games.

Jesus fuck how are they so bad at this.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Its hilariously bad. Those are the only kinds of decisions Nintendo makes regarding online though so at least they are consistent!

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
My mind is still absolutely baffled by this sequence of events:

- 3DS Ambassador Program includes emulated GBA games (Minnish Cap among others)
- Nintendo NEVER makes these games available for purchase on the store for the 3DS
- The only way to buy them and play them without emulators or the original cartridge is on Wii U, which is not a portable system, and thus loses one of the GBA's primary features
- They finally make an even more powerful console that is portable and GBA games (as well as all other emulated VC game) are unavailable.

WHY DOES NINTENDO WANT ME TO FUCKING PIRATE THEIR GAMES WHEN I'M WILLING TO PAY FOR THEM?!

I will not be paying for a handheld game on a console connected permanently to a TV, Nintendo. I can do that for free already. If you want me to pay that price, you better make it worth my while, by making those games as widely available on as many platforms as possible, and, ideally, with cross-buy. Kind of like how i can get an nVidia shield and have access to literally all my steam games, or how my Bone X has access to all my 360 games.

Jesus fuck how are they so bad at this.

No one ever makes you do anything. If you choose to pirate Games that was your decision.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They never offered that and never took that away to make people pay for the service. Again, if people don't like the Switch just sell it or don't buy anything but single player games. Sorry but there are people that bought Anthem for $60, when it was never a good game and had nothing going for it, complaining about $2/month that offers tremendous value.

So people can't complain about Nintendo's abysmal and stubborn online strategy, they should just sell their systems or stick to single player? What the fuck kind of stanning is this.

...what?

Again, where is anyone saying that no one can criticize this, that it is perfect? Seems I hit a nerve with people, not understanding how you can be so vehemently against a product and yet still support it. Oh well. 🤷‍♀️

You are literally telling people to stop complaining or to sell their systems.
You don't get it.

Ossom

Oct 31, 2017
I haven't played any of the games. Only signed up to splay smash in a family sub.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've not defended it but I've stated the service has proven to be worth the money for what you get.

It helps I have little interest in online features.

Welp i'm interested in online features and it's absolute bullshit. NES shit can be emulated everywhere so it's nothing new.

I thought by this point i'd be playing GBA games or something in the VC.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So people can't complain about Nintendo's abysmal and stubborn online strategy, they should just sell their systems or stick to single player? What the fuck kind of stanning is this.

To be fair, it's about as sensible as nintendo's entire online setup. Ridiculously bad service needs an equally bad defense.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
It was bad when it was free on Wii U and weirdly it's even worse when it switched to paid sub on Switch.
Nintendo outdone themselves, at least I got 2 years for free with Twitch Prime and Mario Maker.