• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Can we go together?

• Sorry, i'm a Barbie head

Votes: 130 30.6%
  • Minions are no laughing matter.

Votes: 82 19.3%
  • Reminds me when i went fully transparent to watch Morbius

Votes: 151 35.5%
  • Watching at home (suited up of course)

Votes: 62 14.6%

• Total voters

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
I'm not excusing shit. It's annoying. People seem disconnected from reality of how annoying teenagers act in public, and this time that annoyance showed up at Minions: The Rise of Gru. Fist shaking at the youths is just old ass energy.

My teenage years weren't exactly a lifetime ago and nobody I knew acted like this. It's one thing to be an annoying teenager and something else entirely to show up to a cinema in droves and ruin the experience for everyone else to the point where refunds had to be issued, or cops had to be called to clear out rowdy cinema-goers.

It's disconnected from reality if you think that kind of thing is normal teenage behavior.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
My teenage years weren't exactly a lifetime ago and nobody I knew acted like this. It's one thing to be an annoying teenager and something else entirely to show up to a cinema in droves and ruin the experience for everyone else to the point where refunds had to be issued, or cops had to be called to clear out rowdy cinema-goers.

It's disconnected from reality if you think that kind of thing is normal teenage behavior.

Social Media is the difference. Especially Tik Tok. If we had Tik Tok in the 90's, shit like this would have everywhere back then too.

We did tons of dumb stuff back then, but it was in the shadows and not widespread, like it is today. Meme-type behavior and trends tended to be limited to your particular school.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Social Media is the difference. Especially Tik Tok. If we had Tik Tok in the 90's, shit like this would have everywhere back then too.

We did tons of dumb stuff back then, but it was in the shadows and not widespread, like it is today. Meme-type behavior and trends tended to be limited to your particular school.
^

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
I don't doubt some teens were being rude and awful somewhere but I'm afraid to tell a lot of you that you're getting old and like every generation you are not going quietly into that good night

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
350 16 year old kids (from the same school) dressed in suits descended on our little local indie cinema last night across multiple screenings and completely ruined it for everyone else (mostly parents with their little children), causing complete havoc. CInema staff ended up having to warn other people about what was happening and offered them refunds if they wanted to turn around and go home. Today they have had to put a notice out to say that anyone under 18 won't be allowed in without a parent, offering refunds for anyone who doesn't want to come.

So yeah, really funny (not) until you realise how badly it can effect little indie cinemas.
This sounds more like a handful of kids being assholes, rather than any sort of real problem with this trend. It's kids buying tickets to a movie. The same problem will probably happen next week for Thor.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Would be funny if they weren't complicit in giving Illumination money to make a hundred more of these, honestly kinda still is to an extent but that's the difference that makes it something I won't participate in. The gag of making Morbius trend for a month with incredible memes and then having no one show up to its rerelease was funnier.

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
Fail to to see what's "hilarious" but at least it's better than eating tide pods. It's mostly harmless.

Movies being disrupted by hecklers, rude and/or noisy people is not a new phenomenon, happens all the time.

Is there a tik tok trend to make young adults vote against fascists? France will need it in a few years.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017

yeah a typical friday or saturday night in my home town was high school kids driving around looking for a stupid (and usually harmless) public stunt to pull, unless you were lucky enough to score booze or pot

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Huh... was wondering why a group of about 20 kids were dressed up like that when I was coming out of Jurassic world last night. Had no clue of the tik tok thing

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I have a friend whose going to the minion movie in a suit, and another friend whose going to go wearing a yellow shirt and overalls. Its just harmless fun.

Let people enjoy things.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure that a number of these teens greater than zero made the experience worse for others, but that's teens. Many, many, many teens are annoying as hell no matter the setting. I'm sure all of us here have once been teenagers in our lives and we know what a nightmare some of our peers could be back then. Teens show up to a public place (like a movie theater) and you've got a dice roll of dealing with or without some bullshit, because that's teens in public. Sometimes it's intrusive. Sometimes it's not. Sometimes the teens are respectful. Sometimes they're not. Teens across the country attending a movie in suits as a joke and some of them being assholes is existence in public. Like you could go to the mall today or to a baseball game or to a parade and there's a good chance there will be a set of teens acting like absolute dipshits. That's how it goes. Era's just on it's Boomer shit today by being upset at anecdotal moments of teenagers they'll never meet acting like dipshits for a day. Like the anger is literally angry fist shaking at a younger generation and it should really make people feel ancient as hell.

It has nothing to do with "Boomer shit". I thought my peers were assholes when I was a teen. Teens being teens is such a tired excuse, it was tired for millennials, it was tired for gen x, it is tired for zoomers, and will be tired for whatever the next group is called.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Dressing up and cheering, ok whatever. Throwing bananas and stuff at the screen, nah thats where it crossed the line to being dumb.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
It has nothing to do with "Boomer shit". I thought my peers were assholes when I was a teen. Teens being teens is such a tired excuse, it was tired for millennials, it was tired for gen x, it is tired for zoomers, and will be tired for whatever the next group is called.
It seems like you're very close to figuring this one out. Close the loop.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Out of respect to you because of our interactions elsewhere, that was me dropping it.

Ah sorry, this topic irritates me bc my daughter and I left a movie theater bc a large group of kids were not really watching the movie. Took me forever to convince her to go back to a theater.

Maybe I am being boomer shit. Sorry again.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
Ah sorry, this topic irritates me bc my daughter and I left a movie theater bc a large group of kids were not really watching the movie. Took me forever to convince her to go back to a theater.

Maybe I am being boomer shit. Sorry again.
Nah it's all good. My fault too. I'm being a bit obstinate and irritating today myself.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure that a number of these teens greater than zero made the experience worse for others, but that's teens. Many, many, many teens are annoying as hell no matter the setting. I'm sure all of us here have once been teenagers in our lives and we know what a nightmare some of our peers could be back then. Teens show up to a public place (like a movie theater) and you've got a dice roll of dealing with or without some bullshit, because that's teens in public. Sometimes it's intrusive. Sometimes it's not. Sometimes the teens are respectful. Sometimes they're not. Teens across the country attending a movie in suits as a joke and some of them being assholes is existence in public. Like you could go to the mall today or to a baseball game or to a parade and there's a good chance there will be a set of teens acting like absolute dipshits. That's how it goes. Era's just on it's Boomer shit today by being upset at anecdotal moments of teenagers they'll never meet acting like dipshits for a day. Like the anger is literally angry fist shaking at a younger generation and it should really make people feel ancient as hell.

It's different when a group of 8 teens is in the theater and you expect them to probably be obnoxious versus the majority of the theater being teens attending the movie in jest. When most of the theater is there as a type of in-joke and therefore act obnoxiously during the movie because they're there for a laugh as opposed to actually watching the flick then the movie is ruined for the families that are actually there to see a movie with their kids. Yeah, teens are always obnoxious, but usually they're in their own obnoxious little pods as opposed to taking over the whole theater.

Stath

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Mar 4, 2022
Hahaha whyyyyyyy does this place have a problem with this? This is just young people having fun and making a large social event out of it. These young folks could be doing 1,000 other things that are worse than this to themselves or others. Like damn, this is the "kids loud at the pool" thread all over again.

lol, this is petty as fuck. That was my thread by the way, and even though I still don't believe that the fucking shit that got thrown at me was at all proportionate in there, I have reflected on why people were getting angry at me. There are a lot of parents on this site (I'm not), parenting is hard, and kids need to let loose. I shouldn't have framed it as the kids' or parents' fault when the issue is that I moved in close to an apartment pool and the walls are paper-thin.

But comparing that situation to this one, where a bunch of rowdy and disruptive people are descending on a kid movie (and ruining it for the intended demographic, with many details provided in this thread), is a way different situation than kids going to a pool and acting like kids. But I can't say it's surprising anymore to see people on this site go to bat for nonsense.

the meme is fine, the suits are funny, using the meme as an excuse to be a crappy moviegoer isn't.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017

The only difference between now and then is you have thousands of people to give you the ideas and can film it. This would have been just one group of friends and no one would have known outside the school.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017

Social Media Zoop. In your day you probably had a phone and maybe maybe some dialup. Kids in the modern age can find many douchey kids and make plans thanks to social media.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
Yeah, I am sure the average teenager going in an unconventional outfit with their group of friends to see a kid's movie for a tiktok challenge is not going to be disruptive and annoying about it.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
At the theater right now seeing The Black Phone & The Forgiven. Sure enough; saw a couple groups of people in full suits. Made it easy to know what they were seeing. Haha

JohnsonUT

Oct 27, 2017
I took my kid to this movie yesterday. (Awful movie btw). Saw quite a few teens in there. With and without suits. They were all respectful and genuinely excited for the movie.