• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you actually like the Witcher series?

• No, I don’t like a polished turd

Votes: 83 8.9%
  • Yes, I’m just desperate for a new fantasy series with swords

Votes: 55 5.9%
  • Toss a coin to your witcher

Votes: 451 48.5%
  • My polls trash and I’m a terrible human being

Votes: 340 36.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 30, 2017
South Coast, UK
I think people just gobble up anything netflix produces that looks halfway decent, and this fits the bill because it is thoroughly mediocre. More power to the people who like it, but I don't have a lot of free time to invest in TV series so I would prefer to dedicate it to something with a little more depth or personality when I can.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will say they could work a bit on their structuring. I say a bit because I do absolutely hate shows that force feed exposition)and I like that the show made joke of that). However, It felt like the show didn't do a great job establishing certain timelines and throwing stuff at people too quickly and so certain story beats didn't land as strong as they probably should have. Which also might just improve by attracting better directors honestly.

...Also Nilfgaardian armor, that shit has to go.

And they need to put budget points into costume design.

Yeah the Nilf armor was a really poor choice. I get that they needed hundreds of dudes to be wearing them so they couldn't be as extravagant as the game Nilfs but the scrotum looking armor was a really bad call. Hope they address it.

Thatonedice1

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Working on that also.
We are going in circles, lol. On the most basic level...Pavetta was an adult when Duny invoked the law of surprise. Ciri is a child. I shouldn't have to explain further on why Geralt and Duny would make different choices in regards to that. Also there are further story reason why Duny does what he does (and Duny's role in the story in general) but explaining that would be huge spoilers so I'm not gonna do that.

I feel like the age of the characters in question and the differences in Duny and Geralt's personalities should sufficiently explain why they made difference choices. It's not that complex.
Eh I think at this point let's just agree to disagree. I still like the show though. And I even said I don't think I paid attention the scene that well.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I like it a lot. It's genre fare that's not ashamed to be genre, made by people who obviously like the source material to the degree you can see the good time there having in the shows atmosphere.

it's not Shakespeare and it's not trying to be, just because we get great premium television these days that rivals film doesn't mean every show has to be award worthy and just because it's not a classic doesn't mean it's shit either.

Its an hour long romp in an interesting fantasy setting with cool lore and attractive serviceable actors, and it's fun to boot.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
People getting confused by multiple timelines makes me sad for people's lack of attention span/deduction skills. No wonder shows have to spell everything fucking out.

Status
Not open for further replies.