• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mooki

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to put too much pressure on myself so I'm doing my own little thing. Just a little monster doodles collection.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
So just curious, why is it called Pentober now?

Nvm lol Anyway no time to do this this year I think :(

Last edited:

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
s9W2Umz.jpg

Day 2 - Wisp (of hair)

Kirie

Oct 25, 2017
So I started drawing in July, and have been dealing with my first huge art block ever this past week...so I'm not going by any prompts.. Just doing art as often as I can manage it for pentober, at least hopefully one piece per week.

Week 1 (Ari from Gilded Shadows)

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
So I started drawing in July, and have been dealing with my first huge art block ever this past week...so I'm not going by any prompts.. Just doing art as often as I can manage it for pentober, at least hopefully one piece per week.

It's okay. I live inside my head too much and overthink about what to draw every time I try to do it. I rely too much on drawing from reference images since I worry about anatomy and proportion if it's a human or an animal. Especially if it's drawing from my imagination/automatic drawing. The other day, I was staring at at two blank sketchbooks with all my supplies laid out. Ultimately, I said "Fuck it, I'm going to the first thing that comes to mind on the word half." It was Bruce Timm's Two Face which I'm still working on. While I'm never going to replicate Timm's strokes and pressure 1:1, it's the experience of doing it that's the big takeaway for me. It's in my style but I get to appreciate the design of how he made it.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
I'm never able to commit to these things with any consistency, but I'll try to get a few drawings in this month.

First, a triceratops skull!

de6bf8b-11c2dd6f-2954-4785-9408-50e2adcda70a.png

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Only 4 more to go. I'm determined to at least get a week of stuff in before I fall off. My linework isn't as confident as the master but I'll take it.

Sofo

May 9, 2019
Oslo
It's so cool to see everyone's take on Pentober/Drawtober!

I am following Drawtober2020s promt, the first being Carvings.

Arguably it is not the most original piece by any means, but I am happy I did it and it's the first time I join a challenge such as this (never did I take part in inktober and after the whole plagiarism thing.. well). I mixed it with the current portraiture challenge I was following, so that's my reasoning for it.

Kirie

Oct 25, 2017
It's okay. I live inside my head too much and overthink about what to draw every time I try to do it. I rely too much on drawing from reference images since I worry about anatomy and proportion if it's a human or an animal. Especially if it's drawing from my imagination/automatic drawing. The other day, I was staring at at two blank sketchbooks with all my supplies laid out. Ultimately, I said "Fuck it, I'm going to the first thing that comes to mind on the word half." It was Bruce Timm's Two Face which I'm still working on. While I'm never going to replicate Timm's strokes and pressure 1:1, it's the experience of doing it that's the big takeaway for me. It's in my style but I get to appreciate the design of how he made it.

Thank you so much for the advice! I think overthinking it is a huge struggle of mine (especially with all my anxiety disorders lol). So just aimlessly drawing might be something I need to do for awhile to chill out. Your art is INCREDIBLE by the way, I think it looks amazing!! Honestly everyone in this thread has been super inspiring, I love seeing all of the super creative work in here
Wait... like, started started? With no real experience? And three months later you can draw like this?

AnyQueasyFairyfly-max-1mb.gif

What's... what's your secret?
Oh gosh thank you SO much!!! I'm still very new and have huge imposters syndrome so hearing that has seriously made my month. Honestly...just time. Lots of time. If you look back at the beginning of my instagram, you can see my first drawing (junco bird) and I just kept going and learning from there. Mostly 8-12 hours a day, with a variety of different things I would try new each day. Did a skillshare class, started branching out to various youtube channels (love life drawing is one of my favorites especially!) bought some art books and just...absorbed and practiced constantly.

I'm in my 30s, and drawing art was something I never thought I could do. I thought I was completely talentless, too old to learn, and never actually gave it a shot because of my anxiety+ocd issues. But during the pandemic I figured......why not? I can't go anywhere since I'm immunosuppressed, so I just...bit the bullet and tried it since a bunch of my friends were super supportive. They told me to get an instagram and keep track of my progress. And it's been honestly very freeing in so many ways for me.

Seriously though, thank you again!

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

Days 4/5

Using the same brush but thicker. Not sure if I'm a huge fan of it but wanted to try.

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

This is FANTASTIC for being a beginner, well done!! My hunch is youve focused mostly on faces and from the neck down things may be getting more hairy. Check out the other art threads as places to find helpful resources or just ask me directly if youd like any advice. Keep it up!

Days 4/5

Using the same brush but thicker. Not sure if I'm a huge fan of it but wanted to try.

I can see the improvement and the ambition from these, its good to keep trying new poses, new angles and new expressions, thats the fastest way to get better, to try new things!

HellBlazer

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Oh gosh thank you SO much!!! I'm still very new and have huge imposters syndrome so hearing that has seriously made my month. Honestly...just time. Lots of time. If you look back at the beginning of my instagram, you can see my first drawing (junco bird) and I just kept going and learning from there. Mostly 8-12 hours a day, with a variety of different things I would try new each day. Did a skillshare class, started branching out to various youtube channels (love life drawing is one of my favorites especially!) bought some art books and just...absorbed and practiced constantly.

I'm in my 30s, and drawing art was something I never thought I could do. I thought I was completely talentless, too old to learn, and never actually gave it a shot because of my anxiety+ocd issues. But during the pandemic I figured......why not? I can't go anywhere since I'm immunosuppressed, so I just...bit the bullet and tried it since a bunch of my friends were super supportive. They told me to get an instagram and keep track of my progress. And it's been honestly very freeing in so many ways for me.

You're welcome. But yeah, that's some serious dedication. 8+ hours a day, wow. It's paying off, though. Impressive stuff.

Kirie

Oct 25, 2017
This is FANTASTIC for being a beginner, well done!! My hunch is youve focused mostly on faces and from the neck down things may be getting more hairy. Check out the other art threads as places to find helpful resources or just ask me directly if youd like any advice. Keep it up!

I can see the improvement and the ambition from these, its good to keep trying new poses, new angles and new expressions, thats the fastest way to get better, to try new things!
Thank you so much for the advice, I really appreciate it!! You're definitely right that I've been recently sticking a bit more to my comfort zone, so I should try some new things.

I'll definitely bug you over in the art pub thread if I hit another wall :)

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Oh holy shit! REALLY nice job on this one!

Day 05

Ejl_nINXkAE2WtS

Aww, thanks, man! ☺

This one took way longer than it should because I busted out my rulers for some good old fashioned linear perspective. I really need to move on and catch up. 😅 Maybe I'll transition to digital to try and catch up. That or spend a full day or two cranking out drawings. I set my personal bar too high.

Last edited:

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Thank you so much for the advice! I think overthinking it is a huge struggle of mine (especially with all my anxiety disorders lol). So just aimlessly drawing might be something I need to do for awhile to chill out. Your art is INCREDIBLE by the way, I think it looks amazing!! Honestly everyone in this thread has been super inspiring, I love seeing all of the super creative work in here

Somehow I missed this post but thanks! I'm in my 30s as well but I studied art in undergrad. Community college reignited my interest in art classes. So I took a bunch of art classes as electives, loved it, and pursued it further at a senior public college. When I look back at my old sketchbooks, it makes me cringe at some of the bad art I did. But it's part of the growing process.

I thought I was going to be a big professional artist out of college. But it turned out it's a TON of hard work, discipline, and putting your art out there for the world to see consistently. Criticism also helps but unless you're asking for it, I've learned that people are quite supportive on social media. And having mentors also help immensely. I can get quite shy when it comes to reading comments on my posts. I won't look at it for weeks but it's a dumb irrational fear.

While I'm not making any money off it (I've sold a few small pieces here and there), it makes me happy. And I'm a fairly lazy artist. But the world doesn't reward lazy people I've learned (unless you're rich and come from nepotism). A lot of artists found success later in life such as Van Gogh and illustrator Yuko Shimizu (she has a course on Skillshare).

Keep at it is what I will I say. To quote the poem "Our Deepest Fear", our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. There's a pretty supportive community here so don't be intimidated to continue to post art. You never know who's out there looking at it.

Here's #3. I work slowly to keep up but it's been fun. This one took me longer because I colored it.

HellBlazer

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Starting with characters from The Locked Tomb trilogy by Tamsyn Muir.

So I was wondering what was the deal with all these numbered characters and looked this up... The first thing one finds about it is "lesbian necromancers in space!" which does pique curiosity. Then found this quote, "Throughout, Muir's prose is sleek and compulsively readable. She has a genius for sliding her voice seamlessly from Lovecraftian gothic mode into a slangy contemporary mode without ever undercutting one or the other for cheap comedy. Instead, the contemporary mode makes the cast of characters feel familiar and recognizable, the Lovecraftian horror makes the world feel expansive and terrifying, and the slippage between both powers the book forward" and that actually sounds really great, so... Thanks for the indirect recommendation. I'll add that to my list of things to hopefully eventually read someday when I have time.

Also, cool drawings!

Are all these insect (?) people from something, or...?