• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
pentober_2020_sign.png

Hi, I'm your host, Xavi, also known as the Raging Spaniard (follow me on twitter pls) and I used to work on Star Wars! That's how I introduce myself to everyone now, including my parents

This is our 4th year of a ... um, inking related yearly event on ResetEra! Check out our archive!
Ink(goddamnit)PENtober is an art challenge were you are encouraged to make one ink (traditional or digital) based piece a day during the month of October. Nobody knows who started the challenge, some people say it was Hatsune Miku, but fuck all that because for this years edition we want to highlight the work and contributions to the medium made by Alphonso Dunn. A fantastic inker and educator who deserves much more love and exposure

He is very active on Youtube, this is just one random video I picked, no other reason

He also has two fantastic inking books available on Amazon which you can find here. I would HIGHLY recommend purchasing them and for you to use them throughout the month as a handy guide, you wont regret it.

513aYtNzGxL._SX384_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

81vEqGPv5nL.jpg

For them kids, he is also on the gram

Pentober rules:

1) Make a drawing in ink (you can do a pencil under-drawing if you want).

2) Post it

3) Hashtag it with #pentober or #pentober2020 or do whatever the fuck you want, this shit aint owned by anybody, fuck them cops

4) Repeat

Shameless Self Promoting:

Since I made the thread I'm going to be a total dick and sneak in my Twitter and Tumblr pages where you'll be able to find my entries (as well as this thread, obviously) Last year I had a Fire Emblem: Three Houses theme! I am currently undecided about this years theme, better hurry the fuck up, I guess

Prompts:

Mysteriously enough, there are NO OFFICIAL PROMPTS this year! I think there used to be some in previous year but I dunno, nothing came out for 2020, blame the pandemic, It was probably some white dudes fault though, tbh

In case you need some though, I used my complete brain in order to come up with some prompts. I am a professional in the industry of videogames, I am extremely creative, how dare you, look at that beautiful logo

pentober_2020_prompts.png

Its important to remember that this is ALL OPTIONAL. If you want to skip a day, that's fine! If you want to do something non-traditional, that's great! This is all just an excuse for our little artist community to grown and thrive, we can get to know each other better and help each other fulfill our artistic goals. Do not take this too seriously, the rules are there to help you along the way, not to restrain you!

Other #tobers:
Surely you have noticed a ... variety of October themed drawing prompts. Mysterious! Feel free to use this thread to share your work from those other hashtags or even better, cross them with pentober! Heres some examples
  • #drawtober
  • #OC_tober
  • #monstober
  • #soulstober
  • #witchtober
Theres also #kinktober which, yeah, try to NOT post that one in this thread, but I encourage you to participate!

Also check out some other hashtags such as #DrawingWhileBlack, #VisibleWomen, #LatinxCreate and others. Amplify minority voices as often as you can!

I think that's all the hashtags I've seen related to October, cant think of another one ...

F.A.Q

Mailbox said:
So digital art is acceptable as well?
Don't really have the proper inking tools for analog.

Absolutely! In this day and age there are a million ways to create art! Pen, Tablet, Cintiq, whatever way you want to participate is fine :)

I'm really behind on this, should I quit?

Hell no! Even if you only make one drawing, that's way better than zero drawings. We all have lives and cant always afford the time. Keep your own pace, there's no pressure here.

What tools should I use?

Pretty much anything ink based, even a ball point pen can give you some amazing results. For covering BIG areas with black I personally use a brush pen (this is my favorite and a bargain at that price) or even leave it blank and fill it in Photoshop (not too much to learn from filling darks, its a personal preference)

As is our custom, here are some highlights from the 2019 thread! Fantastic work by all involved and sorry I can't show everyone's work, a lot of you only link through media posts and I cant show them all in the OP

tumblr_pyoyl1GBRc1tu1m2jo1_540.png

Day 1 :D
Too broke to fix my scanner atm, but I still wanted to take part this year, it'll be my first inktober.
Hopefully I'll get to use traditional media during the month though.

Let's do it. I decided I'm going to try and draw baseball players by jersey number to correspond with the day of the month. Hopefully I'm able to make some progress by end of the month as this drawing shows I'm terrible with value in general, especially with pure black and white.

As it works out, up first is #1 Ozzie Smith, my childhood hero. The first Cardinals game I went to I was able to get his autograph. I was in awe.

E0OU0Qd.jpg

Posting the full un-cropped image as promised. Inktober no.3 , you know who.

rJvLz96.jpg

I doubt I'll be able to keep up with Inktober this year, but here are my Day 1 and Day 2 entries (and yeah, Day 2 is just Day 1 colored, but it was for a commission for my friend's son, so I couldn't do more!) Teostra from Monster Hunter World:

tumblr_pyqhj8u30W1tdh40xo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_pys4biIED01tdh40xo1_1280.jpg

Day 3 done with like 40ish minutes to spare!

Rushed the heck out of it and I used markers even though I told myself I wouldn't. I don't learn lol

I'm thinking I'll revisit this one later because I like the idea here, but man, I don't understand perspective >.>

That said, I'm kinda looking forward to day 4. I got some nice 11x17 paper, (which I also used for this day 3 pic), so I can go bigger and I've been thinking about what I'm gonna do for it for a couple days now.

Day 6 -no prompt.

An ink drawing I tried to salvage in Photoshop and just ended up painting over.

ddhq4yy-11c8ae9c-6f0b-47ff-a5c4-5c2ef66162e2.jpg

Days 5 and 6 - Fjord and Beau from Critical Role

days5and6g7j9y.jpg

Other resourceful Era Art threads:
PhotoEra - One photo per day
Drawing a Day
The Art Pub

Thats all! Good luck and HAVE FUN!

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Oh man I feel somewhat embarrassed that I did Harry Potter fan art last year. There may have been signs already by that time, but I wasn't paying attention.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
I was wondering where this year's thread was. I'm unemployed until further notice so I'm at home most of the time. This means I have no excuses not to at least draw something for 30 mins a day. And between an upcoming art show deadline to do some pieces for, it should be fun. I'm mot gonna lie though, I will miss working at NY Comic Con. 😟

This year, I have a drawing tablet so I can practice digital inking in CSP. I plan to at least stick it out for several days straight since I have a tendency to get overwhelmed by the pace.

Maybe I'll start by finally inking that Kiryu sketch you did for me at Anime NYC last year. 😆

Edit: Your tools link contains an invalid link FYI. 👀

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Hm... I wonder if I can find a good ink pen on either Procreate/Clip Studio. I know by default they already have stuff, but gotta find that specific one I like.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Ooh thanks bud, I'll fix that up. Hope the job situation improves soon!
Edit: Link removed as per OP's request.

Thankfully, I have a fixed income and I have health insurance so it's not the end of the world. Living with family also helps.
There are people in much more dire straits than me so I count my blessings. My heart goes out to Californians.
Hm... I wonder if I can find a good ink pen on either Procreate/Clip Studio. I know by default they already have stuff, but gotta find that specific one I like.
It's been recommended in another thread but you can't go wrong with Frenden and/or Daub brushes for Clip Studio. The default pen set is all right but custom brushes have a lot more versatility. I don't have an iPad so I can't comment on recommendations on Procreate. But the Art thread in the OP has a bunch of artists that use iPads + Procreate.

Last edited:

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
I'll be participating in #Soulstober with some people in twitter, drawing anything creepy/Soulslike. So I'll be posting them here too. Can't wait to see what you guys drawn

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My pleasure! This is the right link as the previous one said the page doesn't exist or got moved: https://www.mrjakeparker.com/tools?rq=Tools

Thankfully, I have a fixed income and I have health insurance so it's not the end of the world. Living with family also helps.
There are people in much more dire straits than me so I count my blessings. My heart goes out to Californians.
It's been recommended in another thread but you can't go wrong with Frenden and/or Daub brushes for Clip Studio. The default pen set is all right but custom brushes have a lot more versatility. I don't have an iPad so I can't comment on recommendations on Procreate. But the Art thread in the OP has a bunch of artists that use iPads + Procreate.

Oh, that one. Well, as it should be obvious from the OP Im expunging anything JK related from this thread, so I just removed the link. Thnks for keeping an eye ut, though

I'll be participating in #Soulstober with some people in twitter, drawing anything creepy/Soulslike. So I'll be posting them here too. Can't wait to see what you guys drawn

Oh nice, thats pretty fun. I think I'll be doing a Final Fantasy VII Remake topic this year.

Sofo

May 9, 2019
Oslo
So excited! I'll try to participate this year! Maybe not just following one but several prompts (I guess you could say I like cherrypicking). Can't wait what all of you come up with!

Sofo

May 9, 2019
Oslo
Oh man I feel somewhat embarrassed that I did Harry Potter fan art last year. There may have been signs already by that time, but I wasn't paying attention.
Nothing you should feel embarrassed about, it's a cute piece and you managed to reflect the feel of the characters... JK Rowling on the other hand - she has quite a bit to feel embarrassed about.

ExMachina

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Thanks as always for setting up the thread, RS!

Since I'm stuck taking vacation at home this week, looking forward to having more time for my pieces and digging into Dunn's book.

347ae90a0bcccb2a60a87a3e9d630156017c9bdb.jpg

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Good thing about being in the Europe timezone is that I dont feel like Im going to be late to the party everytime

EjQ2SiGXYAI2wQH

edit: lol of course my dumbass signs it as inktober, old habits die hard, I guess

Last edited:

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia

Here it is, Gwynevere from Dark Souls. There is some 100% close ups on the link.

And nice drawing guys, haven't picked a real pencil for a long time, I shall do it again soon.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
One year already, that flew by.
I had fun being a part of that last year, and you were all very welcoming, so let's go Pentober 2020 !

ExMachina

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Starting with characters from The Locked Tomb trilogy by Tamsyn Muir.

Day 1 - The Second (that's not confusing at all, lol)

1d9dcf025e6ece72abc36645f639c7a58505d901.jpg

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Total noob to drawing, but want to improve. Should I start with stroke practice or what?

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Total noob to drawing, but want to improve. Should I start with stroke practice or what?
You can do whatever you like as long as it's in black and white. Rubbishmonkey had fun with the drawing above. Abstract ink art is also a thing so stroke practice can classify as that.

Have fun, don't be intimidated by advanced and pro artists in here and just do it. Don't be afraid to post it. Art is meant to be shared. Time is both an artist's friend and enemy to quote the Venezuelan artist, Carlos Cruz-Diez.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I just want to get better. I peaked in 3rd grade and it's been a plateau since...

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to try to go deeper into the month this year than usual, instead of falling out after the first week (at best)

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
If there was one thing that was great about this whole plagiarism deal is that I got to find out who Alphonso Dunn is. I bought his book a couple weeks ago and it's fantastic. Inking is my favorite medium and I'm saddened I've never heard about him before. (Still probably won't post my work because I'm bad and life is also super hard at the moment)

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

Hope people like them, even though it's like a million other drawings I've done lol

At this point in trying to find a "style" for me, I think I just need to embrace my tendency to make everything very sketchy. For some reason I just can't stop doing:

Line -> Stop -> Line -> Stop.

For the eyes I've sort of been inspired by the game's art for the FF game, War of the Visions.

I've seen other artists also do similar.

Edit: This may sound stupid, but just to make sure, although the art is digital, which I know is allowed, did I correctly do as asked? Or does the art I posted not count as part of this?

Last edited:
OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Hope people like them, even though it's like a million other drawings I've done lol

At this point in trying to find a "style" for me, I think I just need to embrace my tendency to make everything very sketchy. For some reason I just can't stop doing:

Line -> Stop -> Line -> Stop.

For the eyes I've sort of been inspired by the game's art for the FF game, War of the Visions.

I've seen other artists also do similar.

Edit: This may sound stupid, but just to make sure, although the art is digital, which I know is allowed, did I correctly do as asked? Or does the art I posted not count as part of this?

of course its correct, why wouldnt it be? Good job so far!

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is for Day 2, but I didn't wind up finishing until today.

Caddywompus

Mar 10, 2018
I'm already a day behind but I'm attempting a Heroes Vs Real Life Villains series for this 'tober. I kind of wish I had started with more fitting match ups say a LGBTQ+ hero verus Lindsey Graham. But I can always do a rematch even though it should be no problem finding 31 real life villains. I definitely want to do Korra, Finn and Jake, Pokemon but...

let me know what match ups you guys would like to see. Bill Barr, Ted, Cruz, Rudy Giuliani, so much evil to choose from what heroes do you want to see paired with them.

@caddywompusdesigns

(feel free to shoot me a DM on here or IG if you don't quote me in this thread)

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Question to those of you working with heavy ink and a brush pen: How do you guys keep the ink from smudging? it's driving me nuts on a piece I'm working on now! I've been Googling answers and it says to let the ink dry.

On another note, An artist I follow on Instagram, Veronica Lawlor mentioned doing Halftober for anyone looking for yet another -Tober alternative. It sounds pretty damn cool! This one is more ambiguous with the idea being to focus on one thing i.e. composition, character design, etc. I've also heard of Linktober (you can probably guess what that one is about). I gotta play catch up. I'm going to try to follow the Halftober list and maybe swap in some of the Pen list prompts.
EiDn774WAAA1nt3