• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I never understood banning LGBT. Why wouldn't you want as many people as you can get for the military? The more soldiers, the merrier. Fuck knows I'm not signing up for that shit.

1) Maintain the "image" of the military being a puritanical, manly boys club that so many of the people in charge need for the sake of their fragile egos

2) Work to dehumanize/unperson queer Americans from participating in an area of society that we count as valuing "real" citizens/Americans. "Are you even an American if you don't fight for our country? Hey maybe since you're not qualified to fight for our country, you're also not entitled to a lot of the other rights allowed to free & equal citizens"

Last edited:

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
I mean sure, but the meme coming from people who oppose both parties makes more sense than the meme coming from people who typically enthusiastically support the Republican party.
Painting the other side as just as bad or worse because they mask their problems with social justice is big with them. It's why they like the term "alt-right" and not "shithead Republican that's still going to vote for republicans". Makes them seem more adversarial towards their own party than they actually are. The kind of people who will say "both parties are bad" and then vote for Trump. It's all online argumentative bullshit anyway, but it does exist on the right.

But yes, it does also exist on the left. Which is why I find the whole thing gross. Let's drag the military without using trans people as a prop.

Oct 25, 2017
Painting the other side as just as bad or worse because they mask their problems with social justice is big with them. It's why they like the term "alt-right" and not "shithead Republican that's still going to vote for republicans". Makes them seem more adversarial towards their own party than they actually are. The kind of people who will say "both parties are bad" and then vote for Trump. It's all online argumentative bullshit anyway, but it does exist on the right.

But yes, it does also exist on the left. Which is why I find the whole thing gross. Let's drag the military without using trans people as a prop.

It's not using trans people as a prop? I see a lot of trans people actively pushing these memes themselves, so please, don't erase that.

TuneTuneGuy

Mar 11, 2020
Lots of people in this thread don't understand what not being allowed to serve in the military means. It's called a caste system and America needs to finish getting rid of ours.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
They're terrible, of course. I am not suggesting the next republican president won't redo the ban because they'll be softer on trans rights, rather that particular action isn't a big enough win. I don't think military service is as effective as a scare tactic as bathroom bans or children's athletics. It never seemed like an issue Trump bragged about or conservative media touted as an accomplishment. It just doesn't seem like it gained a foot hold like a lot of the other cultural issues they love to build around.

Though I could maybe see a hardcore Trumpy primary challenger bringing it up during a GOP debate or something.
At least in the conservative areas I've been in, it seems a more common thought to believe that everyone should be allowed to serve, so yes. I don't think Trans representation at least in this regards is a wedge issue for people.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
It's not using trans people as a prop? I see a lot of trans people actively pushing these memes themselves, so please, don't erase that.
If other trans people want to use them then fine. I still don't personally care for it, especially since the only context I've seen them used recently is against my partner from some Twitter randos whose profiles often have MAGA bullshit in them.

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (permanent): Trolling and derailing a thread about trans desegregation over a series of posts. Many prior infractions for trolling, hostility, and inflammatory posting.
Congrats to everyone now able to bomb Muslims as a career

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
But... I literally never said both sides are the same, I said that they have similarities. People who don't believe that literally lack nuance.

Also, please stop talking down to trans people about how they should feel about how they are treated by the parties.

Im sorry if I offended, you have the right to demand more from government no matter which party is in power. But there is a difference between the parties and those memes are very much "both sides are the same", because they literally just show a bomber and BLM/Trans/LGBT flags with the words "republicans" and "democrats". The facts don't back it up, because we know that there are fewer bombings/wars/citizen killings under Dems compared to republicans.

Oct 25, 2017
Im sorry if I offended, you have the right to demand more from government no matter which party is in power. But there is a difference between the parties and those memes are very much "both sides are the same", because they literally just show a bomber and BLM/Trans/LGBT flags with the words "republicans" and "democrats". The facts don't back it up, because we know that there are fewer bombings/wars/citizen killings under Dems compared to republicans.

Pointing out that there is a crossover between the parties that needs to be addressed is not claiming both sides to be the same, it is addressing the similarities and how those in power may use pandering messages to obfuscate them.

Also, I am not familiar immediately with statistics on that last claim. Do you have death tolls that I may look at?

Oct 25, 2017
Can we get some receipts on this please

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
gwoup3bt6yj61.jpg

here's an alt-light/conservative account posting this meme, I think we can agree that plenty of bad faith actors that haven't criticized the military industrial complex are posting these with zero nuance

Oct 25, 2017
gwoup3bt6yj61.jpg

here's an alt-light/conservative account posting this meme, I think we can agree that plenty of bad faith actors that haven't criticized the military industrial complex are posting these with zero nuance
I don't follow conservatives because I don't really give a fuck what they think or say, but okay sure. I don't see what the point here is besides "yeah but also these bad people said the same thing".

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trans and fuck any of those dumb memes minimizing this, and especially cis people defending them.

I never understood banning LGBT. Why wouldn't you want as many people as you can get for the military? The more soldiers, the merrier. Fuck knows I'm not signing up for that shit.

Cruelty is the point

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
I don't follow conservatives because I don't really give a fuck what they think or say, but okay sure. I don't see what the point here is besides "yeah but also these bad people said the same thing".
Because it's a common conservative/alt right talking point to say that liberals use BLM/Trans/LGBT "virtue signaling" as a shield not because they ever do anything meaningful to support them. It's the same as the "democrat plantation" nonsense implying black Dems are voting against their interests constantly because they are "told" they can only be Dems.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trans and fuck any of those dumb memes minimizing this, and especially cis people defending them.
I'm Arab and Muslim and fuck anyone who actually would want to join the institution that has been murdering millions of Arabs and Muslims for longer than I've been alive.

Imperialism is the point, and both "sides" have been doing it.

1. Yeah, and under Obama, drone strikes far exceeded Bush. It's new technology that the military is continuing to invest in. I have no doubt the number will continue to climb under Biden, but I'd be very happy to be proven wrong.
2. I don't see any numbers on your third link but okay I'll take your word for it.
3. Is it supposed to mean anything that the number of Iraqi casualties went down after the war was essentially over? Should we compare the casualty count of Libya and Somalia as well?

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
I'm Arab and Muslim and fuck anyone who actually would want to join the institution that has been murdering millions of Arabs and Muslims for longer than I've been alive.

Imperialism is the point, and both "sides" have been doing it.

1. Yeah, and under Obama, drone strikes far exceeded Bush. It's new technology that the military is continuing to invest in. I have no doubt the number will continue to climb under Biden, but I'd be very happy to be proven wrong.
2. I don't see any numbers on your third link but okay I'll take your word for it.
3. Is it supposed to mean anything that the number of Iraqi casualties went down after the war was essentially over? Should we compare the casualty count of Libya and Somalia as well?
There are two different important indicators here:

Drone strikes (which obviously weren't as prevelent under Bush since the tech was nascent)

Civilian deaths (combined Iraq and Afghanistan)

Drone strikes increased under obama relative to bush but civilian deaths went down. Then under trump, drone strikes increased and they rolled back the obama regulation requiring reporting these numbers once they started striking in Yemen. However you slice it, Bush had worse civilian casualties compared to Obama, and Trump had more drone strikes compared to Obama.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
The news is about making it so that trans people aren't excluded from a profession on the sole basis that they're trans.

You don't need to spare any good will toward the military to understand it's better if careers aren't able to entirely exclude trans people from pursuing them.

Deleted member 2699

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are two different important indicators here:

Drone strikes (which obviously weren't as prevelent under Bush since the tech was nascent)

Civilian deaths (combined Iraq and Afghanistan)

Drone strikes increased under obama relative to bush but civilian deaths went down. Then under trump, drone strikes increased and they rolled back the obama regulation requiring reporting these numbers once they started striking in Yemen. However you slice it, Bush had worse civilian casualties compared to Obama, and Trump had more drone strikes compared to Obama.

Because the Obama admin redefined every male of military age killed as a "combatant" lol. Off course the numbers go down when you change how they are counted.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
The news is about making it so that trans people aren't excluded from a profession on the sole basis that they're trans.

You don't need to spare any good will toward the military to understand it's better if careers aren't able to entirely exclude trans people from pursuing them.

Well said.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
It's also useful to keep in mind that the military will be the largest individual employer of most demographics simply because it's the largest employer in America by far. The military is colossal, and its scope is larger than militaristic operations in other countries.

yep.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Because the Obama admin redefined every male of military age killed as a "combatant" lol. Off course the numbers go down when you change how they are counted.
That formula was from the Bush admin

It is often been reported that President Obama has urged officials to avoid wherever possible the deaths of civilians in covert US actions in Pakistan and elsewhere. But reporters Jo Becker and Scott Shane reveal that Obama 'embraced' a formula understood to have been devised by the Bush administration.

"Mr. Obama embraced a disputed method for counting civilian casualties that did little to box him in. It in effect counts all military-age males in a strike zone as combatants, according to several administration officials, unless there is explicit intelligence posthumously proving them innocent."

But sure Obama is still complicit, just measurably less so compared to Republican administrations.

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
I just don't feel like I'm the mood to be happy since there's so many anti trans legislation bullshit happening in this country. I don't mind the military connotation that much because less discrimination based solely on being trans is always welcome.