• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017

More than half a million Pennsylvanians have filed new unemployment claims during the past week, a record number indicative of the sweeping economic fallout from Gov. Tom Wolf's statewide shutdown in order to slow the coronavirus.

As of Tuesday afternoon, the Department of Labor and Industry had received a total of 540,000 new unemployment claims since March 16, when Wolf first announced the closure of all non-essential businesses, according to a state senator briefed by the labor secretary.

Prior to the coronavirus outbreak, the highest number of first-time claims filed in a week in Pennsylvania since at least 1987 was 61,181 in early January 2010, according to federal labor statistics. The monthly total that year also set the previous record, topping out at 168,159, the numbers show.

A spokesperson for the Department of Labor and Industry declined to comment, saying the official numbers have been embargoed by the U.S. Department of Labor until Thursday, and the state is complying. The governor's office referred comment to the labor department.
www.inquirer.com

Pa. unemployment claims skyrocket to 540,000 since statewide coronavirus shutdown, shattering records

"There are going to be a lot more," says the ranking Democrat on the Senate labor and industry committee.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh is like a ghost town.

Hopefully these people get taken care of or else many won't have homes to stay in.

Viriditas

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Pennsylvanian here. Can confirm, my area is like a ghost town. Normally it's at least a semi-bustling place with a reasonable amount of tourism.

I usually commute by bicycle and it's bizarre to see the weather getting warmer here without a commensurate increase in traffic. I've had the roads mostly to myself lately (not to say that I don't still follow traffic laws/safe biking protocols). It's eerie. But not Erie. Hah, ahah...ugh.

Fortunately the local hospital where I work seems to be taking it seriously. There's a no-visitors policy, outdoor handwashing stations, a testing tent outside of the ER, and they're cancelling all nonessential procedures/trying to free up as many beds as possible. There's information posted absolutely everywhere about COVID-19 and flattening the curve.

I'm counting my blessings to be employed for the foreseeable future, but it's pretty clear at my workplace that we're gathering our strength before the real shit hits the fan.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
yeah, i mean its anecdotal but most of my friends who still live in Philly and my family closer to Wyoming Valley area are pretty much ALL laid off/fired from their positions. i dont know how good Philadelphians are being about social distancing (id imagine Not Very) but im also sure its nothing compared to what its like under normal circumstances.

very curious to what things are going to look like on the other end of this, if such a thing exists.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
I hope the states that are not taking covid-19 seriously get the fuck on board. Otherwise we're going to need shutdowns for much longer than necessary due to their selfishness.

I hope folks get all the help they can through the Congressional bills.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
So with a googled number of near 13m population that's a near 4% spike in unemployment (edit: in 10 days)? Jobs report gonna be crazy.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just outside of Philly and the roads are empty, it's like early Sunday morning every day

Yep, that's Cali too. Can't even get coffee at 7-11 no more, they shut all self serve machines and health department is about to go business to business to enforce the whose essential part with warnings first then possible citations or shutting off of utilities.

AtomLung

Oct 25, 2017
People seem to be taking shit seriously around where I live, but yeah, there has been a frightening amount of job losses.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
This is why judging the economy on the stock market is the dumbest shit ever when a massive % of the country relies on a second or third job (most in the gig sector) to make ends meet. Even then, they don't have savings.

Smoothcb

Oct 27, 2017
Can states who maintain stay in place/quarantine prevent travel from those states who do not?

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So PA and CA alone are >1.5 million.

Doesn't that means we're looking at probably 12ish million or so for the country, best case scenario?

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018

tenor.gif

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
It'll get worse.

Companies can reduce their staffs now without paying for the unemployment.

If you think many companies haven't been planning on using this stimulus as a free chance to dump salaries, I got news for you...

SbnaS

Sep 3, 2018
Allentown here. Along with everyone else I can say my commute to work is much quicker. There are not many people on the roads.

Crimsonskies

Alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
So PA and CA alone are >1.5 million.

Doesn't that means we're looking at probably 12ish million or so for the country, best case scenario?

Some analyst predict total unemployment in the second quarter of 2020 to be 30% which is higher than the unemployment in the great depression which was 24.9%

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, it looks like a lot of places have been re-assuring their employees that they will be re-hired when this is over. From what I can tell, everyone here in PA is very optimistic. No suicidal thoughts yet.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the reasons conservatives want a blood sacrifice for stonks during this pandemic.

The one position they used to justify all of the...let's call it what it is, evil that this administration has done, was always backed up LOLJOBS. Much easier to be okay with the psychological torture of children if you can say "how bout ur 401k tho?" Anyone notice that they've become the most bitter when you reflect that back at them in this crisis? It shows their true colors.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, shit's gonna get wild. Either the economy totally craters or we reopen and the medical system will get totally overwhelmed and people will die. 2020 is going to be a shit year for a lot of people.