• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TK-421

Nov 30, 2017
Death Star
Jul 1, 2020
I've had mine since late August and have been using it at least 4 days a week since it came in. The bike is expensive and you will most likely wait a long time for delivery but with the right accessories its very quick to jump on the bike, pick a class and go.

I would recommend against getting their heart rate monitor and get a different one that goes around your arm instead of your chest. The headphones they bundle in are also not great and I would suggest bluetooth ones that are sweatproof if you have them.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it hard to adjust the bike to accommodate two people of very different heights? I'm 6'2" and my wife is 5'4".

Nov 7, 2017
I've had mine since late August and have been using it at least 4 days a week since it came in. The bike is expensive and you will most likely wait a long time for delivery but with the right accessories its very quick to jump on the bike, pick a class and go.

I would recommend against getting their heart rate monitor and get a different one that goes around your arm instead of your chest. The headphones they bundle in are also not great and I would suggest bluetooth ones that are sweatproof if you have them.
Yea their heart rate monitor and headphones are trash

I use an apple watch with the blue heart app to connect it to the bike for HR monitoring

BuckRogers

Apr 5, 2018
Is it hard to adjust the bike to accommodate two people of very different heights? I'm 6'2" and my wife is 5'4".

Super easy to do, just remember the settings.

We've had a bike for a couple of years, it's been great. I never rode it until the lockdown, but I've gotten good use this year.

We just recently bought the tread too. I love that thing. Incredibly expensive, but by far the best treadmill I've used, including commerical ones. I love the way the belt feels for running.

My only issue is I do wish they'd just allow you to watch Netflix or something on the screen. 90% of the time it's fine, but every once in awhile I just want to bike/run and not have to do a class. I understand, given their business model, why this isn't an option.

Yeah, my wife has the heart rate monitor and it seemed pretty bad, there are a lot of better options out there and she uses an arm one now.

And I'll insert a plug for aftershockz headphones (the Air are the ones I currently use). They're bone conducting, so you can still hear while wearing them, they're sweatproof, they're comfortable, and I've found them pretty reliable. I sweat a lot, and have ruined a huge number of headphones over the years, but these have lasted pretty well.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really relevant to the OP, but I find it amazing that Peloton launched into the stratosphere this year due to COVID after the media and blue check marks lambasted them for their holiday advertisement. Turns out, women want Pelotons. Huh, how about that?

While Twitter is hilarious and has interesting takes, I've stopped taking it as an example of what anyone thinks in the real world.

A bad commercial doesn't mean shit to most people, I don't think. Not to mention that traditional gender roles are likely still common.

Jul 1, 2020
Yea their heart rate monitor and headphones are trash

I use an apple watch with the blue heart app to connect it to the bike for HR monitoring
I could only get blueheart to work correctly once out of the 7 or 8 times I tried it. I bought a Scosche Rhythm+ because I was spending too much time trying to get all of the Bluetooth devices on the same page.

Mirado

Jul 7, 2020
I despise the idea of being forced into a bike subscription or having it plugged in, so I went with the Keiser M3i instead. They are running a black Friday deal where they bundle in a bunch of accessories including a bluetooth converter that supposedly allows you to use different apps (even including Peloton's if that's your fancy). I've heard grumblings that it's a bit flakey but someone's apparently done some work on basically building your own using a Raspberry Pi, so I may look into that if it turns out to be a pain.

It won't be here for a bit but I'll try to do a review once it is in case people are looking for more alternatives. If we're going to be stuck in quarantine, we might as well get fit.

Mirado

Jul 7, 2020
Holy shit i just saw the price of these things. Jesus.

Yeah, I kind of had that revelation when I realized one of the most expensive purchases I made in 2020 was for a bicycle that doesn't move, but I can't go to the gym and you can't really ride a bike in winter around here without feeling miserable, so $2k for spinny furniture it is.

Jul 1, 2020
Holy shit i just saw the price of these things. Jesus.
And that's after they dropped the price $350 on the regular bike. Their view on the price is that you would break even after 6 months if you rode 3 or 4 days a week compared to premium spin classes in a studio.

Personally I think the fact that I paid so much for it makes me want to use it consistently to get my money's worth.

SmittyWerbenManJensen

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
These bikes are good, but I have a $400 Sunny bike that works just fine and am in better shape than all of my friends/family that have a Peloton. More expensive equipment does not necessarily mean better results. It's all about how hard you push yourself and adhere to a proper diet.

If you can comfortably afford one of these bikes, then that is awesome, but I still don't know if I would ever spend that much money on a piece of exercise equipment.

Apr 25, 2018
Just pulled the trigger on Bike+!!! Very excited to join the community and have some fun! Was honestly ok with the price as I remember in the mid 90's bowflex and Nordic track where $5k+

WillRobBanks

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just pulled the trigger on Bike+!!! Very excited to join the community and have some fun! Was honestly ok with the price as I remember in the mid 90's bowflex and Nordic track where $5k+

Congrats!

We have a regular bike coming on the 4th (hoping it's on time)! We're totally new to cycling. I'm not new to fitness but focus on strength training. I've had an extreme lack of cardio during covid so we decided to go for the bike. Hope we get really into it. We have the shoes, weights, and heart monitor ready to go

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wow, very glad I saw this thread. I starting thinking about buying the peleton treadmill this week. I like the idea of slats but 2k less for a non-slat model is enticing. Does anyone know if they are still on track for 2021 release of the cheaper model?

Oct 27, 2017
My wife and I are considering getting the Bike+. If you go the financing route, do you get charged instantly or when the bike arrives? We don't want to be paying for something that we won't have access to for possibly 10 weeks.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
My wife and I are considering getting the Bike+. If you go the financing route, do you get charged instantly or when the bike arrives? We don't want to be paying for something that we won't have access to for possibly 10 weeks.
Affirm collects the first payment after about a month, IIRC. I believe Peloton also has a message somewhere on their site that basically says it's entirely possible that you could be paying for your bike before you ever receive it.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
What's the word on Apple Fitness + and a spinning bike vs this?
Peloton still has a way deeper catalog. They just have more time doing it. Also better music apparently.

Wow, very glad I saw this thread. I starting thinking about buying the peleton treadmill this week. I like the idea of slats but 2k less for a non-slat model is enticing. Does anyone know if they are still on track for 2021 release of the cheaper model?

March 30th.

I'm tempted honestly, but don't the space. I'd have to fit in my living room.

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
I'd get a Bike+ but the Peloton trade in rebate is kinda shit value. So just sticking with my OG Bike.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Personally I think the fact that I paid so much for it makes me want to use it consistently to get my money's worth.
That's the marketing for a lot of high end gym memberships too. If people pay a lot then they use it to get their money's worth.

Exercise bikes have been around forever. A lot of them, especially used, are incredibly cheap. If a person needs to spend a lot to motivate themselves to actually use it, then that's what they have to do.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I'd get a Bike+ but the Peloton trade in rebate is kinda shit value. So just sticking with my OG Bike.
You could probably get way more money Facebook marketplace btw.

That's the marketing for a lot of high end gym memberships too. If people pay a lot then they use it to get their money's worth.

Exercise bikes have been around forever. A lot of them, especially used, are incredibly cheap. If a person needs to spend a lot to motivate themselves to actually use it, then that's what they have to do.

For me, I actually loved spin classes at studios before Peloton. So Peloton is actually cheaper.

But yeah, if don't like spin, not worth it. I'm also a music fan so that helps a lot with the enjoyment factor.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
March 30th.

I'm tempted honestly, but don't the space. I'd have to fit in my living room.

Nice, I'll def wait then and compare the two models. I'm going to have to move stuff around in my home office to fit it no way the wife would let me put it in the bedroom or living room lol. It might be nice to take some meetings while getting in a light jog/walk.

Do you know if the Tread+ will have Apple Gymkit integration I read that Bike + will but the current model treadmill does not?

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Nice, I'll def wait then and compare the two models. I'm going to have to move stuff around in my home office to fit it no way the wife would let me put it in the bedroom or living room lol. It might be nice to take some meetings while getting in a light jog/walk.

Do you know if the Tread+ will have Apple Gymkit integration I read that Bike + will but the current model treadmill does not?
Doesn't look like it. Weird oversight. Maybe they make a last minute change. Idk.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I'm utterly astonished that the old ones didn't have auto resistance. Seems crazy to me given what they cost.

They also should put settings on the video for Roku instead of blurting it out between a bunch of word salad.

They'd have to set it outside the bike themselves, I swear half the trainers aren't even doing what they say to do.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
So this is a stupid question probably, but what happens with this if you don't renew your sub? Does it just become like a normal old exercise bike?

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
They also should put settings on the video for Roku instead of blurting it out between a bunch of word salad.

They'd have to set it outside the bike themselves, I swear half the trainers aren't even doing what they say to do.

To be fair, the trainers are talking the entire time, which is going to make any good workout a lot harder. I don't doubt that the trainers are able to do the workouts they're conducting.

Totally agreed on putting the numbers on screen. My biggest pet peeve is when they rush through calling out the numbers, and then you're just left guessing. Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to have some intern go through after the fact and just put the current cadence/resistance numbers in the bottom corner.

There are some trainers I don't even bother with any more, after getting too frustrated with how they mumble the settings.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017

I don't blame them. It's pretty hard to be engaging and entertainment for at least 20 minutes and also doing the workout in full. Most workup a sweat tho so they are doing something.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While we are on the subject of virtual trainers, why the hell is Zwift etc not on PS5/ XBOXSX? 120 fps, 4k actually nice gfx. Oh man.

I never liked the dedicated virtual bike/ Peloton approach, seems much more fun to use your own bike and put it on a trainer (Wahoo Kickr etc.).

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
While we are on the subject of virtual trainers, why the hell is Zwift etc not on PS5/ XBOXSX? 120 fps, 4k actually nice gfx. Oh man.

I never liked the dedicated virtual bike/ Peloton approach, seems much more fun to use your own bike and put it on a trainer (Wahoo Kickr etc.).
I think theyr'e going after different audiences.

Peloton is more mass market fat loss focused crowd.

Zwift seems more serious cyclist/athlete.

Peloton has those that those classes too. Matt Wipers does those, but they are a small focus on the catalog and they barely have anything over 60 minutes, which is nothing for the serious cyclists types.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
It's kind of crazy that peloton started out 2020 as a bit of a joke because of that commercial.
Well, it was gaining ground before that. The ad was brilliant because it provided free publicity. Twitter is not real life!

Then COVID came and hockey stick growth action. They couldn't meet demand for months.

Jul 1, 2020
I had to wait two months for mine but I don't mind because Peloton did the delivery and I got $350 off since they released the Bike+ and lowered the price of the original bike and they credited you based on your delivery date not the purchase date.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Did you have a regular bike before that? I'm curious if the auto resistance is that big of an upgrade.
I didn't. I only tried both at the store, and we decided to get the Plus after some back and forth. The automation was the seller for me, but got my wife it was the improved screen and audio.

I did my first ride today, with it on, and it's pretty nice.

Does it go to the middle of the resistance band or the top? Basically, is that part configurable?
Middle by default, but if you change it to the top of bottom during your ride, it'll remember for every change.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
Got my Bike Plus on Monday. Loving it and the instructors. Hit my 20th ride today (my parents got their bike in October which I test ride).

Favorite instructors so far are:
Cody, Dennis, Emma Lovewell, Jenn Sherman, and Tunde.

Already hit a 1000cal 670+ ride with Jenn just now. Wow.

Only issues so far were some squeaking (easily fixed with the included tool set), the inability to cast to Chromecast (the phone app can...), and the 2 month delivery, but I can't blame them too much.

Here's to a healthy 2021. If someone could tell me how to follow ResetEra users I'd love to see y'all on the boards.

maxx720

Nov 7, 2017
I just bought and put together my new Sunny SF-B1805. Loving it so far. It's $600 with very smooth ride, magnetic resistance and a 44 pound fly wheel. The downside is that it includes no electronics but I easily bought and added an inexpensive bike computer.

youtu.be

Schwinn IC4 vs Sunny SF-B1805 - Which is better?

Schwinn IC4: https://amzn.to/3mYP4kR (limited)Sunny SF-B1805: https://amzn.to/37ZTJia (in stock)Order Schwinn IC4 direct: http://bit.ly/schwinnIC4 (IN STOCK)...