• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
You should probably save your anger for the people wanting to bailout the industries before families and households.
I can walk and talk. It's simply absurd to me that people that haven't lost jobs, will not lose their jobs are angry at this bill because they might not get a check. It's a level of selfishness I can't comprehend. This bill provides cash relief and unemployment expansion to those that need it and an interest free loan to everyone else, hard to complain about that imo.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Is everyone just ignoring the $2400/month of new UI benefits that combines with existing UI?

Because it's meant for people who are out of work. If you're still working and making over $75k (median household income is in the mid $50ks) the assumption is that you are doing ok.

Exactly, the first 50 posts of this thread feel like either it wasnt read, or its from bizarro land.

In what way in the world is raising UI to $2400 cutting a check, student AND private loan assistance and family sized scaling "Just a bit better than the republican one"? What?

Slow down and read this stuff, because this is light years better.

It's 1404 pages long....
But yea they're just trying to pass something real quick.

Well yeah... This is their job? I don't understand the criticism here. We don't know how long this will last. Getting something like this out the door makes sense. Especially the UI part. Theres never any rule that prevents you from continuing after this. And yes, its big. I suppose they were working on it. A few days ago they were getting the business for not reacting fast enough. Now it turns out they were working. Wheres the problem?

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Forgiveness on private loans is pretty great, helps for those of us suffering who ended up refinancing at some point.

edit: 150k joint filing is a fairly decent cutoff point, my family doesn't hit that, but I make over 75k individually...

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Chances of this passing? Looks to avoid some of the hangups that the GOP would have like UBI and the payments to citizens isn't some huge amount.

The initial money part might pass, but the GoP will try to gut the rest (especially the student loan part, because Bootstraps) and also put in some bailouts and other bullshit.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
The point is to support people who do need it, who have lost their jobs, can't pay for groceries, etc....which also happens to stimulate the economy....with purchases that are actually needed and not...ya know...a PS5 or whatever.

Entertainment is a big part of the economy too, you know.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
A family member of mine just informed me that the republicans are trying to get us relief but the democrats are voting against it. Meanwhile the dems and Pelosi are trying to sneak things into the bill, specifically trying to "pass abortion".

I said, "okay."

I mean what do you even say.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some people in this thread really want free money just because. This money is meant for the unemployed and or people who have lost their livelihood as a result of this, that's why they are expanding unemployment insurance along with this cash payments. If you make 75k a year and you don't lose your job you shouldn't get shit, why is this hard to understand? Personally I make well over the threshold should I get free money just because? Nope I shouldn't. I don't need that money if I don't lose my job because the entire economy crashed, that's the point. I'm sure the bill will have phase outs too like if you make $80k you'll get less and get nothing at say 99k.
You can't personally speak to the situation of every poster advocating for a UBI so I wouldn't make the attempt

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I've paid off my loans and make > $75k, but this is clearly a great bill that would help a lot of people.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
A family member of mine just informed me that the republicans are trying to get us relief but the democrats are voting against it. Meanwhile the dems and Pelosi are trying to sneak things into the bill, specifically trying to "pass abortion".

I said, "okay."

trying to tell them that the gop tying an anti-abortion anvil to the legs of the last bill is what killed it would've been an exercise in frustration, because they wouldn't believe it anyways

Sep 14, 2019
So by gig work, do they mean things like Uber and Postmates?

This helps a lot more people then, I think.

It's still one check, but if they can get this to pass, at least a lot of things, like unemployment, are covered, so next if this goes on longer, then all they have to pass through is checks, no?

Yamajian

Oct 30, 2017
I'm cool with saying people that make 75K and under this year don't have to pay it back. This is a pretty comprehensive plan, so the senate will probably kill it.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I make slightly under 75k and also don't need this stimulus ... but would still like to have the stimulus. I would gladly pour that money back into my local economy to give even more money to people who need it.

Oct 30, 2017
Hopefully some of this gets through. McConnell would have no problem letting the economy crater and people die just to own some libs.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

I said, "okay."

You could link them the government website. Stuff like https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate-bill/3548 is available now and I'm assuming the House bill will be there in some form soon. But I highly doubt that people like that are interested in the intricacies of this situation.

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
People are arguing that a UBI will do that. Do you disagree?
Maybe, I don't know, probably. But this bill will not be a UBI in any shape or form, so why even pretend that it's a possibility. It's completely outside the scope of what Congress (Democratice and GOP leadership) are trying to achieve.

NutterB

Oct 27, 2017
Between my wife and I, the 10k each forgiveness on student loan would be a much bigger deal than any of the 1 to 2 time payments.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I will say there seems to be a ton of unrelated shit in there. The usual pork projects. Don't have time for that even though it's the usual to try to get extra negotiating chips.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
We spend fuckin trillions on military but cant pass this shit? Hope GOP gets wrecked come election day.

Am_I_Evil

Oct 27, 2017
My wife is freelance and currently they have no work for her...would she be covered by the expanded UI?

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty dense when it comes to this stuff, so if someone could explain this to me I'd be thrilled.

What does this mean for someone like me who works freelance on a contract to contract basis with individual clients? Am I just getting that one time check and that's it? Or...?
I could be wrong, but it looks to me like you'll be able to qualify for the expanded unemployment insurance if you don't currently qualify for it as a freelance contractor. The weekly payout for you will be $600+ 25% of whatever your state normally pays out for UI capped at 26 weeks, you'll need to provide proof that your income in the last 6 months is more than $2500 or that you lost work cause of COVID though. If you're unable to provide proof UI will payout $300 a week if you contract covid, take care of a family member that gets it, or attest that you're unable to find work due to restrictions caused by the pandemic.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
How does this cancellation of student loan monthly payments affect the PSLF program? Is this cancellation something you can opt in, or will everyone's loans just be suspended instantly? Because I'd rather just keep working toward my 120 payments and not have it extended indefinitely.

But I can't balk at $10K worth of payments; that's approximately 33 (almost 3 years worth) of my payments right there. But that just invites another question: can this $10K be distributed over time, or is this just a one-time $10K payment? Because if it's the latter, then it doesn't help me at all.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Entertainment is a big part of the economy too, you know.

And yet it is not even remotely comparable to essential necessities....like food, clothes, transportation, etc.

If someone is spending their UBI check on a $500 console...they didn't need the UBI check to begin with. Owning a new console at launch price is not a necessity, nor is it required to boost our economy.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I make 75k and I recently paid off all my loans, shucks.

Ah well I didn't really need it that bad

Sep 14, 2019
Sorry for all the questions:

If you work for Postmates/Uber and making significantly less, can you file for unemployment?

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
How does this cancellation of student loan monthly payments affect the PSLF program? Is this cancellation something you can opt in, or will everyone's loans just be suspended instantly? Because I'd rather just keep working toward my 120 payments and not have it extended indefinitely.

But I can't balk at $10K worth of payments; that's approximately 33 (almost 3 years worth) of my payments right there.
Right now you have to opt in to the forbearance. This one doesn't specify, but it's hard to imagine the government would refuse payments.