• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017

twitter.com

Sahil Kapur on Twitter

“THE PELOSI CASH PLAN: • $1,500 checks for individuals • $3,000 for joint filers • Extra $1,500 per kid up to 3 • Maximum $7,500 per family • Universal for those w/ taxpayer ID # (includes seniors, unemployed) • Individuals making $75K+ in 2020 will pay some/all of it back”

- Minimum of 10k student loan forgiveness

4UclG2S.jpg

100% unemployment insurance wages with expansions for gig workers and the self employed.

15 days of early voting and no excuse absentee vote by mail for everyone attached to grants.

Last edited:

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
seems like its still just a one time payment? no expert, so i'm not sure how effective this is.

MrGiraffe

Feb 27, 2020
This seems good in that it also dodges the nasty question of whether or not only citizens get it.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the best they've got.

Gee I wonder why they fucked the dog so hard on the easiest political layup in fucking history.

Oh but we aren't allowed to talk about that here.

captainzombie

Nov 29, 2017
What is the point if some of it/all has to be paid back even for those at $75K+? Is that for individuals or those with families, this kind of stuff isn't helping anyone if I'm reading this correctly.....but I might be misinterpreting it.

Oct 27, 2017
Why not UBI instead?

I assume you need to move fast, so bogging down a response with a complete overhaul of the economy in a single bill, would invite infighting, when all you're trying to do is convince 3-4 GOP Senators to grease the wheels of commerce before we're all boiling shoe leather and cooking sparrows on curtain rods.

Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't trump saying $1,000 in April and another $1,000 in May?

Is this just one payment?

Edit: Found it.

"In a memorandum, Treasury proposed two $250 billion cash infusions to individuals: A first set of checks issued starting April 6, with a second wave in mid-May. The amounts would depend on income and family size."

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
That's cool. If its a one time thing they must not be seeing the upcoming future cause this shit ain't lasting for just a single month.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously something is better than nothing, but a one time payment is not going to be enough.

Hopefully it passes, but I don't think it will.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
all of these plans keep coming out, but every time they are getting shot down. More refinement needs to happen, but the powers that be have got to get their heads out of their asses and take action.
Which it absolutely will considering most places aren't locked down.
I gotta say, even with a lockdown there's chances Of it still getting out of control. I live in Ohio, so a lockdown is going in effect at midnight tonight. But for me, nothing is changing. I work for an essential field, so I still have my normal 5 days. Gas stations and groceries are open, and tons of other places have exceptions. It's almost silly.

Oct 27, 2017
Odds are (assuming this passes or a variant of this passes) they'll do this same horse and pony show each month so they can get political credit each month for passing a new stimulus.

Yeah, it would become a 'continuing resolution' scenario where institutional inertia takes over and no one is willing to stop handing it out

Oct 27, 2017
It's a larger lump sum than previously talked about but yea, making it one time is super dangerous. Especially when we go BACK on lockdown (which seems like a good possibility) and conservatives will push back against a second stimulus. I feel like going monthly for a couple/few months would cause less pushback overall.

Edit: I can't read, this does have long term benefits in unemployment.

People are overlooking the vote by mail part. That's really important
Woah, definitely did.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i feel like instead of passing something that'll continue monthly, they'd rather just fight over what plan to implement every month

what a pain

captainzombie

Nov 29, 2017
The 75k threshold is way too low especially considering high cost cities are being hit the hardest

That is the same issue that I have with this as you do. Looking at the top 10 cities that have been hit the hardest and they are some of the most expensive places to live in the United States. Yet they want people to pay some or all of it back with the 2020 taxes.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Odds are (assuming this passes or a variant of this passes) they'll do this same horse and pony show each month so they can get political credit each month for passing a new stimulus.
Which frankly, doesn't seem like the worst outcome. This needs to pass immediately if it's going to do any good, and if it gives Congress an additional month to hash out terms for additional stimulus - that's at least potientially a workable solution. Read the situation month by month, rather than trying to pinpoint an end date before the peak of the crisis has even begun.

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017
What is the point if some of it/all has to be paid back even for those at $75K+? Is that for individuals or those with families, this kind of stuff isn't helping anyone if I'm reading this correctly.....but I might be misinterpreting it.
It's helping the people who get laid off? The people who are still working and getting paid don't need the aid as much.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
seems like its still just a one time payment? no expert, so i'm not sure how effective this is.
It's a one-time stimulus supplemented by an expansion of unemployment insurance and other increases to social safety programs and state aid.

I assume if this passes and we're still in the shit a month later we pass another one?
No, it expands unemployment so you basically make your full salary anyway if you get laid off.

Did you miss the $600/week unemployment assistance too? Or did you just need to rush to shit on the Dems here?
And that assistance is on top of regular unemployment (meaning most people can be covered for 100% their salary).