• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Trolling Over Multiple Posts in this Thread
Sor
tumblr_pbc8l4dSeB1qinla4o1_400.jpg
Sorry you don't understand. I can try to use smaller words next time?

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It clearly is flawed since it generated the wrong result. (Or fine, it generated the right result since it generated all possible reults, but the probability for it was far too low)The question is how could it be improved to be more accurate?

If I tell you that the next roll of a dice has a 16.6% chance of coming up "6" and the roll comes up "6", would you say that my prediction was far too low?

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Sor
Sorry you don't understand. I can try to use smaller words next time?

Have you tried digging up, instead?

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If I tell you that the next roll of a dice has a 16.6% chance of coming up "6" and the roll comes up "6", would you say that my prediction was far too low?
Obviously you had a 100% chance of landing on a 6 because that is what happened.

*hits head with iron pan and cartoon birds fly around me*

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There is a 100% chance of rolling a 6 on a six sided die where every side is a 6.

JCX

Oct 25, 2017
I am shocked people on a gaming forum have such horrible understanding of odds. Haven't we all been screwed by a crit or like hydro pump not hitting despite having 80% accuracy?

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Lol. No he didn't. He had a 100% chance of winning because he did in fact win. The fact that your data told you he only had a 25% chance to win means your data was wildly innacurate.

If I gave you the full list of everyone who voted and who they voted for, you would be able to tell me who won with 100% accuracy.

That's what these methods are trying to predict. The fact that they got it so wrong means their methods were flawed. There is no significant random chance involved here like there is in a sporting event. I intended to vote for Hilary and I did in fact, vote for Hilary.

Leviathon007

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think I understand what he is trying to say. Don't really agree, but here it goes.

He is saying that an election is not random, aka the results are complete before we go to the polls. This is of course not really accurate, because people can change their minds over time, but whatever.

So, given that information if we have 10 people, 6 for Trump and 4 for Clinton, then there is a 100% chance Trump wins. Now if we ask 4 of them months before and happen to ask 3 Clinton and 1 Trump, we would say it is 25% chance. But since the results were already determined, that is incorrect.

Ok, now I might be crazy.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think I understand what he is trying to say. Don't really agree, but here it goes.

He is saying that an election is not random, aka the results are complete before we go to the polls. This is of course not really accurate, because people can change their minds over time, but whatever.

So, given that information if we have 10 people, 6 for Trump and 4 for Clinton, then there is a 100% chance Trump wins. Now if we ask 4 of them months before and happen to ask 3 Clinton and 1 Trump, we would say it is 25% chance. But since the results were already determined, that is incorrect.

That's not how any of this works and people damn well know what megatron is saying. The 25% chance was building in Margin of Error. And guess what? The results were within THE MARGIN OF ERROR. More accurate to say as an example, you had 10 people 3-4 for Trump 6-8 for Clinton, for Trump to win, he'd need 4 and Clinton would need 6, and Trump's four have to be the exact right 4 people, and Clinton's 6 would need to be the exact wrong 6. but it wasn't certain that Trump would hit his high end and Clinton her low, in fact it was unlikely. Thus, the unlikely result we got was Trump losing the popular vote and winning the electoral college by a minuscule amount of votes.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Back on track,

it sure is convenient that Trump is holding his press conference at the same time the Intel committee gets the whistleblower complaint.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand

Odrion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

How about saying that the statistics says Hillary will win and there's a 25% chance of these statistics being wrong?

Leviathon007

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That's not how any of this works and people damn well know what megatron is saying. The 25% chance was building in Margin of Error. And guess what? The results were within THE MARGIN OF ERROR. More accurate to say as an example, you had 10 people 3-4 for Trump 6-8 for Clinton, for Trump to win, he'd need 4 and Clinton would need 6, and Trump's four have to be the exact right 4 people, and Clinton's 6 would need to be the exact wrong 6. but it wasn't certain that Trump would hit his high end and Clinton her low, in fact it was unlikely. Thus, the unlikely result we got was Trump losing the popular vote and winning the electoral college by a minuscule amount of votes.

I fully understand this. Was just trying to understand the mind of a madman.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017

Confidence intervals not even once.

Guess what? When somebody has a 33 percent chance of winning, they will win 1/3 times. People need to deal with statistics. Blows my mind nobody can grasp it.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so dumb when it comes to this stuff and I feel like - especially today - the news is moving incredibly fast...but...do we have any details of what is actually in the whistleblower report or is that what we're waiting on? How many people (in positions of importance) have now read it and when can we expect anything to come of it?

Thanks!

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so dumb when it comes to this stuff and I feel like - especially today - the news is moving incredibly fast...but...do we have any details of what is actually in the whistleblower report or is that what we're waiting on? How many people (in positions of importance) have now read it and when can we expect anything to come of it?

Thanks!

that's what we're waiting on. it was just released to the committee and we're waiting to see what it is and how much of it was released

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Confidence intervals not even once.

Guess what? When somebody has a 33 percent chance of winning, they will win 1/3 times. People need to deal with statistics. Blows my mind nobody can grasp it.
I know people with doctorates who got them in fields where they never even took a single college course on statistics who get the absolute basics wrong. It's incredible. It almost needs to be a high school course or something.

Sometimes I like to use the example of shuffling cards. Any time I shuffle cards, the final shuffle had an 8x10^67 chance of winding up that way. And yet, those results are meaningless. It doesn't tell you anything. I use that a lot of times when people try to get metaphysical with stuff like "What are the odds that Earth would have wound up in the Goldilocks Zone!?"

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Thanks!
We know the call was a trigger, and we have a massive amount of public information on this situation- https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/09/24/full-trump-ukraine-timeline-now/

Unlike the Russia stuff with Mueller, this was all basically in plain sight because they're stupid.