• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands

giphy.gif

Can't wait. That's going to be a right ol' shirtshow....

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
is this just an inquiry or is it the real deal
6 Committees have been authorized to investigate everything within their particular jurisdictions. Basically once the committees are done they will gather their findings and write up a list of Impeachment Charges. Then the House would vote on that. Then begins the Senate side of things.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Really want to know more about the Ukrainian ambassador and what happened and all involved.

Hmm. Who exactly in the State Department? Remember: Giuliani wanted our Ambassador in Ukraine fired, and Pompeo complied by withdrawing her several months ahead of schedule. Today we still have no Senate-confirmed Ambassador in Kyiv.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Giuliani was poking around in Ukraine as early as like November 2017. I think they have been trying to work the Biden/Ukraine angle for awhile now. Likely Poroshenko did not trust Trump and with this new President they felt they could potentially strong arm him more so got aggressive.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Giuliani was poking around in Ukraine as early as like November 2017. I think they have been trying to work the Biden/Ukraine angle for awhile now. Likely Poroshenko did not trust Trump and with this new President they felt they could potentially strong arm him more so got aggressive.

He and others would have also been in it deep with information involving Manafort and Cohen before he turned. And I'm still extremely interested in the "old" stuff like this:
Sens. Bob Menendez of New Jersey, Dick Durbin of Illinois and Patrick Leahy of Vermont wrote in the letter to Yuriy Lutsenko that a recent New York Times report said his office "effectively froze investigations into four open cases in Ukraine in April, thereby eliminating scope for cooperation with the Mueller probe into related issues."

Ukrainian investigators had been tracing money paid to Paul Manafort, who would later become Trump's campaign chairman, by figures in the political party of pro-Russian Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych, the Times reported. Yanukovych was ousted from power in 2014. The decision to halt the investigations came at a delicate moment for Ukraine, as the Trump administration was finalizing plans to sell it anti-tank missiles called Javelins, the Times reported.

The May 4 letter requests that Lutsenko answer three questions, which include inquiries about whether the office did attempt to "restrict cooperation" with Mueller's probe and "if so, why?"
It also asks if anyone from the Trump administration encouraged "Ukrainian government or law enforcement officials not to cooperate" with Mueller's investigation, and if that probe was "raised in any way during discussions between your government and US officials, including around the meeting of Presidents Trump and Poroshenko in New York in 2017," a reference to Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko.

Mueller is investigating Russia's attempts to influence the 2016 US presidential election and is looking into any potential ties between Trump campaign associates and Russia's efforts. Trump has repeatedly denied any collusion.

There's a clear pattern of abuse of power and mob thug tactics employed on a worldwide scale. Petty tyrant bullshit.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would be honest.. even if this bastard snake snakes his way out of this, I hope the stress fucks him up so much, and even other GOP challengers piles more stress on him.. until.. we just don't have to deal with him in 2021 and beyond.
Really. really hope all this is meaningful.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Does this mean he will finally be gotten rid of? Or when all this whole thing ends and is investigated yet again by that time his term will be up anyway as these things take months or years so what's the point of removing him when he doesn't have much time left? This should have happened at the start? What's the point now?

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
An inquiry. It's not the same as impeachment proceedings. Not at all.

It's not the same because it's a PART of impeachment proceedings. It's just a different stage from the other parts like formation of impeachment articles and the house vote on every article, which isn't guaranteed to happen in impeachment proceedings and thus should not be our focal point at the moment.

And impeachment proceedings officially started 7/26 when the judicial committee petitioned the court for grand jury material. Nixon playbook.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I can't see him surviving this. I believe that the Democrats were trying to give him time to gang himself when he thought he could get away by leaving him alone.

I think he's done and things will get better. Things always get better.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Would love to see this low energy idiot grilled in a courtroom for 12 hrs straight . I suspect he couldn't last 30 minutes without incriminating himself.

Not familiar with the impeachment process, will he be grilled like hillary was for benghazi e.t.c ?

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Funny how all of this might line up with Bolton's resignation and his comments that his side of the story will come out

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
How hilarious this will be if this takes Trump out and Biden isn't even the Democratic nominee.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
How hilarious this will be if this takes Trump out and Biden isn't even the Democratic nominee.
Going after Biden, the current frontrunner, was more about demoralizing voter turnout than specifically crippling his campaign. "See? Russia was a nothingburger, it's the Dems who are actually corrupt."

Also, Trump probably thinks the Warren Native-American thing is enough to tackle her candidacy. And I'm sure his team has contingency plans for any Democratic nominee.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Would love to see this low energy idiot grilled in a courtroom for 12 hrs straight . I suspect he couldn't last 30 minutes without incriminating himself.

Not familiar with the impeachment process, will he be grilled like hillary was for benghazi e.t.c ?

Everything visible is going to happen in House committee investigations. It's unlikely that they'll be able to get Trump to appear before them. But they had better broadcast everything they want known, because as soon as they officially vote to file articles of impeachment, this moves to the Senate for trial.

Unfortunately, this is another area where the Constitution is not specific enough: it does not explicitly say that the trial must occur. Mitch McConnell arguably has the power to decline to have the trial at all, or to limit it in various ways. Though any reasonable interpretation would determine that the Senate is obligated to do so, based on the intent of the framers, the language is not forceful. Much like the language that allowed McConnell to fail to have hearings on Obama's Supreme Court nominee ("the Senate shall", not "must"), this is open to partisan interpretation. Meaning that, in today's political environment, it only applies to Democrats.

I fully expect the Senate to either refuse to hold a trial, or at least some lesser form of quashing it, like blocking any witnesses called by the Democrats, or only voting on the least damaging articles of impeachment.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Those panicked stream of pundit videos on Trump's twitter are absolute perfection. He's a scared.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017

Not hilarious, but perfect. I thought about that before going to bed, it gives Biden an out when/if Warren bruises him in the polls. "Oh, as a focal point of the impeachement inquiry I feel it is the more responsible thing to put country over personal ambition and not run for President, so everything from our side is 100% above board, unlike the criminal in chief." Or something. Word it to make sure you make yourself look clean as possible and self-sacrificing instead of a loser. Might even boost his cred with voters, is a great story for the stupid media circus and help him really push people to the polls for the eventual nominee.

Edit: Waking up to like 20 notifications thanks to the truck crash gif 🤣 Like a reverse dog pile or something.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
no, they are in a red state already, the voters would vote in the antiChrist if he had a red mark on the ballot
We just had an Alabama state senate race not long ago where a Democrat won. If a deeply conservative state has a breaking point where it flips. I feel a lot more of these battleground, less conservative states have breaking points as well.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of surprising turn from "harsh words" to "we're starting impeachment". Glad to see reason finally come forward, but I dread the senate's part in this process.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
I wonder if some Reps in the Senate will have a sudden moment of sanity and would be willing to throw Trump under the bus.
The republican party has a lot of really rich people and popular media personalities that can easily cause any republican to lose their primary, and selflessness isn't exactly something that fits with republican ideology. That's the biggest reason why republicans wont budge an inch on anything.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
We just had an Alabama state senate race not long ago where a Democrat one. If a deeply conservative state has a breaking point where it flips. I feel a lot more of these battleground, less conservative states have breaking points as well.

Agree. Even McConnell himself is vulnerable (hence the news today that he wants to do a unanimous Senate motion demanding the whistleblower report).

We can't assume the GOP will be with Trump no matter what, although I still think it's likely McConnell does some procedural fuckery to avoid a vote or minimize how many GOP Senators have to go on record if Impeachment ever reaches the Senate.

We just had an Alabama state senate race not long ago where a Democrat one. If a deeply conservative state has a breaking point where it flips. I feel a lot more of these battleground, less conservative states have breaking points as well.

Exactly.
Nobody can tell me that 100% of the Reps love Trump. Especially that there might be a tipping point where he's not useful, but actually more harmful with his actions for the Republican party.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Giuliani is in full I am taking you with me if I go down mode. The State Department involvement has been known for sometime though to what extent was always a question. They openly admitted they had opened channels for Giuliani to talk to people in Ukraine as Trumps personal Lawyer.

Giuliani is just dumb. He's always oversharing about shady stuff, even when he's legitimately trying to defend someone.

Dec 31, 2017
Really just crossing fingers that something substantial comes from the inquiry. If it backfires on dems closer to the election, hooboy

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
I feel like Democrats aren't giving enough respect to impeachment as a political process instead of a legal one. I could see how this might be the easiest slam dunk yet of the Trump scandals if it was fought in the court room, but this fight is in the public and I really don't think there's that many swing voters and non voters who care to be offended on behalf of Biden or Ukraine.

Maybe I'm missing something. I just can't figure out why this is the scandal that activated the party.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Democrats aren't giving enough respect to impeachment as a political process instead of a legal one. I could see how this might be the easiest slam dunk yet of the Trump scandals if it was fought in the court room, but this fight is in the public and I really don't think there's that many swing voters and non voters who care to be offended on behalf of Biden or Ukraine.

Maybe I'm missing something. I just can't figure out why this is the scandal that activated the party.

Three things, off the top of my head:

1) It's legitimately illegal 2020 election interference, so it kills the "wait until the ballot box" argument against impeachment.

2) It's very much stepping on the Congress' toes, insofar as the White House has no authority to withhold a whistleblower report.

3) It's a simple, cut and dry narrative of an illegal act, with confessions in the media from Trump and Giuliani.