• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna post this here too for you guys:

So apparently the guy who created Doom 64 EX (which is basically a great remastered PC port of the game done voluntarily as a fan a couple years back), Samuel Villarreal, is also the same guy who worked on Turok/Turok 2 remastered (for steam/xbone/switch), and is the senior programmer at Nightdive Studio.

He's currently retweeting the PEGI Doom64 rating:
AWH9bvs.png

And the studio is currently present at Quakecon retweeting images he takes referencing Doom 64:
9e5yRS0.png

PLEASE PROCEED TOWARD THE HAPPENING BUNKER

C2m9Ep3.gif

I'm really glad this is likely going to be based on the EX version.
With Kaiser retweeting this and posting these tweets...yeah I believe it even more now.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
What was the framerate back in the day? Mabye it was that lol.

from the DF analysis of all DOOM versions last year:
ut there's another version we also recommend checking out - Doom 64, one of the finest technological achievements for Nintendo 64, arriving within days of the staggeringly bad Saturn game. Doom 64 was developed by Aaron Seeler Productions and Aaron worked alongside John Carmack in building the hardware renderer used for the game. Remarkably, this makes Doom 64 the first 3D accelerated conversion of Doom. It takes full advantage of the N64 hardware, enabling effects and techniques never seen before in the Doom engine. It runs at 320x240 and, unlike other versions, operates at a rock solid, locked 30 frames per second.
This is the most fluid console conversion of Doom ever released, and taps into the N64's bespoke technology, supporting bilinear texture filtering and introduces effects such as fog, moving skies, advanced lighting and higher colour depth. It also features a brand new selection of maps crafted specifically for this version: these are tough, well-made maps that channel everything that makes Doom great. This version is an essential buy for Doom fans - it's basically a full-on hardware accelerated sequel to Doom 2 and as such, stands apart from all other ports.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
What was the framerate back in the day? Mabye it was that lol.
It's 30fps and one of the smoothest games on N64. In fact, it looks smoother in motion than vanilla Doom on a 60hz monitor due to the fact that 30 divides evenly into the refresh rate while vanilla is 35fps (designed for 70hz) so there's judder on 60hz screens without relying on a source port that works around this entirely.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm going to be that guy and ask it. Why isnt' Doom 64... you know the previous Nintendo 64 only game... not rated for the current Nintendo system if it's getting a port? Here's hoping it's just a yet to be rated thing.

Happy regardless for everyone who gets to play it but weird lol.
It's coming, don't worry. A similar thing happened yesterday when we only knew about Doom 1-3 releasing on Switch and then it ended up releasing on all consoles. Same thing here.

Kiru

Oct 25, 2017

from the DF analysis of all DOOM versions last year:
It's 30fps and one of the smoothest games on N64. In fact, it looks smoother in motion than vanilla Doom on a 60hz monitor due to the fact that 30 divides evenly into the refresh rate while vanilla is 35fps (designed for 70hz) so there's judder on 60hz screens without relying on a source port that works around this entirely.
That's interesting. I'll have to replay it and see how it goes this time around. My memory is from 22 years ago.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I have never played it but I did remember the box art at my local rental store back in the day. I always thought it was a Doom port till years later finding out it was essentially a sequel to Doom II. I hope this is real.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I'm going to be that guy and ask it. Why isnt' Doom 64... you know the previous Nintendo 64 only game... not rated for the current Nintendo system if it's getting a port? Here's hoping it's just a yet to be rated thing.

Happy regardless for everyone who gets to play it but weird lol.
It's coming, don't worry. A similar thing happened yesterday when we only knew about Doom 1-3 releasing on Switch and then it ended up releasing on all consoles. Same thing here.
see my post on page 1:
Platforms are irrelevant as all of today's DOOM games are only listed for PS4 and PC despite releasing on everything (or being already out, like PC).
EAcLqFbXkAAS8DI.jpg
and:
It's everything, ignore the platforms in the thread title. It's a quirk of how PEGI submissions work.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Think it's possible that if DOOM 64 comes out that it will have multiplayer? I would love to play it in CO OP ( with harder demons)

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
after the game had a sort of popularity renaissance i checked it out through 64EX honestly was a little meh on it. kind of felt like something was lost along the way

proper PC port would be ace. hell i may even get it for ps4 since it was made with an analogue controller in mind, and i'm pretty spartan about not playing shooters on console

Last edited:

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
This game shares sound effects/design choices with the PS1 DooM port right?

Those SFX still give me nightmares to this day.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
It never had co-op or any form of multiplayer and the forum posts abou people trying to get 64EX's to work in co-op aren't encouraging for any console ports of that.
Well that doesn't give me much hope lol...

after the game had a sort of popularity renaissance i checked it out through 64EX honestly was a little meh on it. kind of felt like something was lost along the way

proper PC port would be ace. hell i may even get it for ps4 since it was made with an analogue controller in mind, and i'm pretty spartan about not playing shooters on console

I really hope it's more faithful than the other Doom 64 PC ports (I think currently Absolution is closest to Doom64 and even then it's not exactly the same)

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
What's our guesstimation for Switch if Switch is on the table? 10 bucks? 15?
Well the price comes from the publisher and they locked themselves into 5 for D1 and D2 and 10 for D3 but Turok from NightDive was 20 and clearly would look to be a seemingly more complicated reworking. But I also don't see them pricing this higher than a D3 port so either they'd go halfway with 7 or also go with 10. 5 would be insanely unreal (ignore pun) but also they seem to be fine going with the "old" looking game for 5 and D64 looks like 1+2.

That's way too many random numbers in one post :)

Please re-release the Quake games next!

I want that Quake 2 64 version too.
Yea ... whenever they decide to bring Quake back or celebrate it in a meaningful way :)

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Think they'll announce this at the end of Quakecon? Sometime tomorrow perhaps?

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I hope this comes to Xbox One, as well. DOOM 64 is my favorite game in the series.

once more for you too:

see my post on page 1:
Platforms are irrelevant as all of today's DOOM games are only listed for PS4 and PC despite releasing on everything (or being already out, like PC).
EAcLqFbXkAAS8DI.jpg
and:
It's everything, ignore the platforms in the thread title. It's a quirk of how PEGI submissions work.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
I really hope it's more faithful than the other Doom 64 PC ports (I think currently Absolution is closest to Doom64 and even then it's not exactly the same)
Absolution is no way the most faithful. Doom 64 EX is a straight up 1:1 port of the game to PC. Everything is the same as the N64 version, just optimised for the PC platform and KB/M controls. This official version is going to be an updated Doom 64 EX you have to pay for.

abracadaver

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Can't wait for Doom64 on Steam
Will unlock all the achievements just like with the Blood Remaster. So much fun to play them again

Old FPS = Best FPS

You can't replay stuff like Metro Exodus or Wolfenstein 2 without being bored to death and annoyed by the neverending cutscenes

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Doom 64 is special

It's atmospheric as fuck and has the series first genuine jumps and scares.

I love it

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I never realized how much this was a full fledged Doom 3 back in the day. Doom 3 is like Doom 4, and Doom 2016 is like Doom 5, and Doom eternal is like Doom 6.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
what if after they announce it they also announce a physical collection with all 4 games? some people who already bought 1-3 will be pissed.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
Some people are talking on here like this is confirmed. I mean is it pretty much a dead cert? Are we gonna lock it in? Are we all to enter the happening bunker?

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Doom 64 is easily one of the best N64 games, best FPS games, and straight up best games of all time.
It's indeed one of the best game on N64.
you can read it on wikipedia. It was made by midway. It wasnt even called Doom, they put the name for brand recognition. They wanted it to be a launch title, but id software who were supervising the project said the game was shit so they reworked the levels.

I never liked the game myself, at all

True art is divisive!

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
I played Doom 64 EX a couple years back just after playing Doom 1 and 2 for the first time, and it's my favorite of the classic Doom games by a good margin (hell its probably my favorite Doom game period). I think the level design is easily the best of the three, and I also prefer how it looks and the industrial ambiance audio over the blaring midis of the first two games.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
If this were to be a closing Quakecon surprise, when would it be? What time does it end today?

cmbsfm

Jul 13, 2019
If this isn't at Quakecon then I'll be in the boat of it being an tied announcement with Smash x Doom