• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

philipnorth

Oct 31, 2017
Looking forward to the album and even more to seeing them this july here in the Netherlands. Already got my ticket as a bday present from my wife and kids

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
A new Pearl Jam song made me feel something, which is probably a sign that they're doing something right.

I wouldn't say I love everything about it—I don't know that Ed's voice is well suited to this type of track, especially the first half—but, though I'm never the sort to accuse musicians of phoning it in, this is the first time in a really long time that it sounds like they're trying. They're going outside their comfort zone and doing new things for the first time in decades, and I applaud it.

Plus when it gets right down to it, the track is pretty bumpin'. When the synths first kicked in I just about spit out my drink. Synths! In a Pearl Jam song!

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
Just listened to "Dance of the Clairvoyants" and it sounds so much like Talking Heads, it's crazy.

I wish David Byrne and the rest of them would reunite for a new album. :(

Oct 28, 2017
I really dig the new single. It's definitely something new-ish for them which is refreshing after Lightning Bolt. Not a bad album but incredibly bland.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Heard the single on the radio, seems more like a Talking Heads song than Pearl Jam, eh. Sounds like they used a drum machine ffs

Edit: Beaten haha but glad I'm not the only one who thought that!

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
That couldn't be more Talking Heads inspired if it tried. I'm assuming that was their goal because even Eddie is aping David's singing style.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't selected for the ticket pre-sale. That sucks. I couldn't log in because Ticketmaster wasn't working. I guess I'll try to nab tickets when they go on sale to the general public tomorrow but that seems even more unlikely. I really don't want to spend a fortune for second-hand tickets considering the base price is already $100.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Heard the single on the radio, seems more like a Talking Heads song than Pearl Jam, eh. Sounds like they used a drum machine ffs

Edit: Beaten haha but glad I'm not the only one who thought that!

Supposedly, Matt Cameron composed the beat with electronic drums, then when the song was actually recorded he did so with a regular kit, very dry. According to Stone, the hi-hats on the actual mix may still be electronic, but the rest is real drumming.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Digging the new song and scored tickets to see them in St. Louis via the Ten Club presale yesterday! Wish they'd play Atlanta, but willing to travel as they've been my favorite band since Ten came out when I was in middle school and I haven't seen them live since 2013. I put in for Baltimore as well, but didn't get into that presale.

Gouty

Oct 25, 2017
Can you even imagine how awesome it would be to spend an afternoon listening to the new PJ, in Dolby Atmos, while drinking tequila with members of the band? Jesus, I'm having a hard time imagining anything better.

As far as that Dolby mix is concerned, hopefully it doesn't go to waste and a lossless bluray is made commercially available.

OP
OP
Ryno23

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

Well they released a THIRD music video for the single lol Think this is the final complete one or something

Song has really grown on me, I dig it, was kinda iffy at first

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
I was never much of a Pearl Jam kid in the 90s, but damn I really dig this single. Vedder sounds like a mix of Rob Dougan and David Byrne now, and I'm all about it.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Pearl Jam was my favorite band back in the early 90's. Like, by far. I had tons of bootleg cassettes of shows up through the Vitalogy days. I kind of fell of around Yield, and haven't really been that into them since, but that new single is great. Obviously they're wearing that Byrne influence on their sleeves. Even my finacee who has never liked Pearl Jam is like "that is a great song". I really hope the single is reflective of the sound of the album. Would be very interested in checking it out if that's the case.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The new single is pretty damn good. Has a good amount of energy to it, and an addictive rhythm to the chorus vocals.

Really nice production too. The bass and guitars sound so crunchy and full.

This is going on my current playlist immediately. Very cool.

peteykirch

Oct 25, 2017
Listening to Dance of the Clairvoyants it's like Pearl Jam turned into a bad Talking Heads tribute band.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
superblood wolfmoon is the most power metal nonsense title I've ever heard of in my life

slightly disappointed it's just another pearl jam song

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity, something I'd written, and wondering if fellow PJ fans agree or disagree -

"As a long-time fan, one who counts Pearl Jam as their favorite band, the group goes in waves. And fans adhere to those waves. You've got -

1) The Ten purists. It's a great album, a bone fide classic. But it's the only one that sounds like it. The purists like only it and hold "Jeremy" as the best thing they ever did. All Pearl Jam fans like Ten, but some Pearl Jam fans only like Ten.

2) Then there are those who loved No Code. They are also unique, mostly only liking Ten and No Code. No Code is a bit...ponderous. It's like people who loved Bush's Razorblade Suitcase or Live's Secret Samadhi, someone who came to a band in a special moment but didn't continue.

3) Beyond that, you get the ones who went hard on Vitalogy and Yield, albums that went wide abreast of mainstream tastes. They had great songs, but lots of experimentation that could feel aimless.

4) There's a very specific, older subset of fans who grooved to the stretch from the self-titled album to Backspace to Lightning Bolt. There's a lot to like there, but there's also a decade+ of songs that sound like generic rock radio. It was an "elder statesman" phase.

5) And, finally, you get into the diehard, the kind who ride or die for Vs., Binaural, and Riot Act. These are really mature albums, complex and varied in their sound but very accessible. These are albums that don't sound like anything else Pearl Jam did, not like anything other bands do."

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Out of curiosity, something I'd written, and wondering if fellow PJ fans agree or disagree -

"As a long-time fan, one who counts Pearl Jam as their favorite band, the group goes in waves. And fans adhere to those waves. You've got -

1) The Ten purists. It's a great album, a bone fide classic. But it's the only one that sounds like it. The purists like only it and hold "Jeremy" as the best thing they ever did. All Pearl Jam fans like Ten, but some Pearl Jam fans only like Ten.

2) Then there are those who loved No Code. They are also unique, mostly only liking Ten and No Code. No Code is a bit...ponderous. It's like people who loved Bush's Razorblade Suitcase or Live's Secret Samadhi, someone who came to a band in a special moment but didn't continue.

3) Beyond that, you get the ones who went hard on Vitalogy and Yield, albums that went wide abreast of mainstream tastes. They had great songs, but lots of experimentation that could feel aimless.

4) There's a very specific, older subset of fans who grooved to the stretch from the self-titled album to Backspace to Lightning Bolt. There's a lot to like there, but there's also a decade+ of songs that sound like generic rock radio. It was an "elder statesman" phase.

5) And, finally, you get into the diehard, the kind who ride or die for Vs., Binaural, and Riot Act. These are really mature albums, complex and varied in their sound but very accessible. These are albums that don't sound like anything else Pearl Jam did, not like anything other bands do."
I'm a very weird case, I think. I love Ten and Yield, worship Avocado, and really don't care all that much about most of the rest.

I still consider myself a big fan, though.

nomster

Oct 27, 2017

I like this, but vs. really does sound like Ten. It's very early 90s sounding too and full of good singles. Wouldn't lump it in with binaural and riot act. I also think there are more yield and no code fans and lots of Vitalogy only fans. My hot take is vitalogy is way overrated.

Deleted member 58401

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 7, 2019

I don't know. I like the first three categories, but especially No Code and Yield as a pair. I also have a soft spot for Binaural. That's where I stopped, though.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
I like this, but vs. really does sound like Ten. It's very early 90s sounding too and full of good singles. Wouldn't lump it in with binaural and riot act. I also think there are more yield and no code fans and lots of Vitalogy only fans. My hot take is vitalogy is way overrated.

Ooooh, I'm with you on Vitalogy but often lack the courage to say it; I love a good half of that album, but what the fuck is even the point of 8 minutes of "Hey Foxmophandlemama"?

Where Vs. kind of bridges a gap for me is that it's musically complex in a way that Binaural and Riot Act attempt. It's more playful - think of "Rats" versus "Elderly Woman Behind a Counter in a Small Town" - but as sonically diverse. Hell, even Riot Act is playful - think "Bushleaguer" and "Thumbing My Way". My biggest caveat with Binaural is it lacks playfulness; that's a deadly serious album.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Also, I'm a total charlatan whose faves are Vs., Binaural, and Riot Act, so I'm predisposed to assume those are the best, deepest, and most artistic choices.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I still have no idea what to expect from this album. The first two songs don't have much in common. I like both, but like the first a lot more, despite its relative lack of Pearl Jam-ness.
I'm a fan of most of their catalog. The big exception is No Code. I don't like any of the songs on that.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I'm picky. I dunno if I like any album front to back, but there's always a good handful of songs on each that make each release worthwhile. Some albums lean more on the end of what minor cuts I would make, others are on the end of what few songs I would keep. There's something about their albums starting with Avocado where Eddie's delivery in the rock songs changed in a way I don't like. Can't very well explain what it is though. Might be something in the production to, but it's offputting. Thankfully, I haven't noticed it in this new album.

Anyway, if I had to pin it down to three favorites, I suppose I'd go Yield, Binaural, and TeVsCodeOlogyn

Don't get the No Code dislike. Even if you're not big on the style experiments, stuff like Hail Hail and In My Tree are certified jams. You know the type.