• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
I think it needs to be said, once again, Peacock is in this scenario because Comcast hasn't really decided to embrace streaming as the future of NBCUniversal. Were they to do so, Peacock would be seen in a very different light. People forget how big NBCUniversal + Sky is, the lack of appealing content is entirely because of this half-hearted approach.

Agreed with this 100%

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
Had a free 6 month trial to Peacock recently and literally never watched anything on it. Logged in a few weeks before it expired and tried to find something to watch but there's nothing compelling on that service whatsoever if you've already seen The Office.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
I see a lot of analysis saying subs are flat because there were no major events in Q2, yet Wrestlemania was in Q2

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
ZERO new subscribers?

Shouldn't a couple poor dumb bastards have ACCIDENTALLY subscribed or something?

Jesus, I almost feel sorry for this large heartless corporation.

Almost...

Last edited:

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
ZERO new subscribers?

Shouldn't a couple poor dumb bastards like ACCIDENTALLY subscribed or something?

Jesus, I almost feel sorry for this large heartless corporation.

Almost...

Its possible they might have gotten a small gain but small enough that it wouldn't be worth mentioning. Its also possible they lost a small amount of subs. It wouldn't have stayed exactly the same.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Peacock has a good back catalog. One of the better ones of the streaming services, IMO. I just think their original content is super weak generally speaking.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly?

Work with a Paramount to combine it with P+ as a joint venture. That would actually be a pretty good second-string service.

They actually have the right to force Disney to buy their share of Hulu in 2024. They haven't promised to sell.
I don't think paramount need it, unless nbc want to be the junior partner. Paramount+ is doing well enough and they have been very good at pumping out original content.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Apple+ is $5/month, in 4K Dolby Vision and has several of the best shows in TV today. Don't sleep ok it if you can.

It also has virtually no revenue and a catalogue of shows that don't perform well outside of the US aimed at a very narrow demographic.

Ultimately it's Tim's vanity project so maybe nobody cares, but all it is doing is burning money significantly faster than Peacock is.

maxx720

Nov 7, 2017
I have Peacock free as I'm, not by choice, am a Xfinity customer. It honestly sucks. There's nothing on there I want to watch and the heavy promotion of The Office means I don't even open the APP.

It was helpful to find out I didn't care about WWE anymore, though.
I'm on the range boat. It's free but it sucks so it's rarely used.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I have Peacock for free only because of having comcast cable (I know, I know - have it because need a landline and it's cheaper to bundle web, landline, and cable then al a carte web and phone).

I have watched a movie or two and a few innings of Sunday morning baseball. The kids have watched some stuff, but it's generally the last place I'll go for anything. I definitely would not pay for it.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
It also has virtually no revenue and a catalogue of shows that don't perform well outside of the US aimed at a very narrow demographic.

Ultimately it's Tim's vanity project so maybe nobody cares, but all it is doing is burning money significantly faster than Peacock is.
It's a little hard to say Apple TV+ has "virtually no revenue" when Apple doesn't break out TV+ revenue separately from their "Services" revenue, which has gone up dramatically in recent years since Apple started their services push with TV+, Arcade, etc.

One person's "vanity project" is another person's long-term play, I guess. The goal of TV+ isn't really to get people to give Apple $4.99 a month for TV+ specifically, the goal is to be a value add to get Apple Music users to switch to an Apple One services bundle – or better yet, to get Spotify users to consider switching to Apple One.

Apple certainly seems satisfied with the performance of TV+ so far, with them continuing to ink long-term deals for the service, like Friday Night Baseball or the ten-year deal they just signed with MLS.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
It's a little hard to say Apple TV+ has "virtually no revenue" when Apple doesn't break out TV+ revenue separately from their "Services" revenue, which has gone up dramatically in recent years since Apple started their services push with TV+, Arcade, etc.

One person's "vanity project" is another person's long-term play, I guess. The goal of TV+ isn't really to get people to give Apple $4.99 a month for TV+ specifically, the goal is to be a value add to get Apple Music users to switch to an Apple One services bundle – or better yet, to get Spotify users to consider switching to Apple One.

Apple certainly seems satisfied with the performance of TV+ so far, with them continuing to ink long-term deals for the service, like Friday Night Baseball or the ten-year deal they just signed with MLS.
Yeah plus, their shows have gotten more word of mouth over Peacock's fare.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Out of the two Ps, Paramount + seems like the one that will survive or thrive the most. Between Yellowstone, both new and old Star Trek, Halo, and legacy content from Nickelodeon, they have a much more secure IP base for both the domestic and international market.

Peacock also has the problem of not being international. NBCUniversal has so much of its content already signed off to other major streaming services, that it would be very hard for them to launch successfully outside of the U.S.

That and also, uh, NBC or the image of NBC's Peacock isn't really a thing outside of the U.S. They would have to rename it Universal + or something.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not surprised this service is tanking. I started a trial to check out Rutherford Falls and Bel-Air, and the app on my PS4 is one of the worst I've used in a while. The subtitles barely work, when I pause a video the screen transitions into an advertisement. Netflix and Hulu have had working UIs and subtitles for at least a decade, why are so many of these big studio streaming services apps still so rough around the edges?

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like Peacock. I use it for Premier League, all Law and Orders. It also has some good stuff too; We Are Lady Parts, Girls 5 Eva, Supernatural Academy (Watched with my cousins and it was quite good), The Girl in the Woods. I hope it doesnt shut down.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
It is a tragedy that We Are Ladyparts got stuck with this sinking service. Any chance other service picks it up?

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
Out of the two Ps, Paramount + seems like the one that will survive or thrive the most. Between Yellowstone, both new and old Star Trek, Halo, and legacy content from Nickelodeon, they have a much more secure IP base for both the domestic and international market.

Peacock also has the problem of not being international. NBCUniversal has so much of its content already signed off to other major streaming services, that it would be very hard for them to launch successfully outside of the U.S.

That and also, uh, NBC or the image of NBC's Peacock isn't really a thing outside of the U.S. They would have to rename it Universal + or something.
Ironically, Yellowstone is on Peacock (from a deal made before Paramount+ and before Yellowstone blew-up)

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I think the worst thing about it is that Peacock actually has an incredibly designed UI and generally just feels great to use, but there's still not much on the service that makes it worthwhile to pay for…

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't see it going anywhere. It's one of those "too big to fail" things. It will exist in some shape or form. Premier League, Olympics, WWE, etc…they're not just going to go, "alright we quit time to shut it down." Because they need to house this content.

What was a massive bungle though was how they handled the Olympics. Every stream should have readily been available live.

Also, they have a piece of brilliance there with their Eurovision coverage. They need to do a better job of advertising for it on regular cable.

Oct 25, 2017

Paramount+ has Star Trek, Peacock doesn't have anything like that.

walkinfast

Aug 24, 2019
I think the worst thing about it is that Peacock actually has an incredibly designed UI and generally just feels great to use, but there's still not much on the service that makes it worthwhile to pay for…

Guessing they really thought everyone would just flock to it just for the existing catalog (The Office, for instance) that put up huge numbers on Netflix.

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019
The name is fucking awful peacock lol

Universal play or something would have been better anything else lol

bremon

Oct 27, 2017

Tim's vanity project consistently ranks among the highest quality shows in our household. We have Disney, Netflix, Apple and Prime, and Apple is probably 2/3 or more of what we watch. Library keeps growing and lots of it is great. Seems like a longterm play to grow One subs and it's doing a hell of a lot better than Arcade is. Lot of shows on Apple that people are sleeping on because "lol Apple, I didn't even use my free trial" or "it's a wasteland" which was true when it launched but isn't anymore. As someone who cut cable over a decade ago it's nice to be able to which some baseball now and then too. I must be part of a narrow demographic though, and an extension of the US market.

Oct 31, 2017
Honestly?

Work with a Paramount to combine it with P+ as a joint venture. That would actually be a pretty good second-string service.

Joint Ventures are tricky. IMO Comcast should join Sony in being a content provider. However that could also be tricky right now. Sony got in at the right time and got paid, but streamers will be a bit wary now in their licensing and content expenditure. However things like The Office, Parks and Rec, and of course new theatrical movies will fetch some good revenue for them. Peacock should strictly be a companion to Xfinity users. Either that or go all in on streaming. Half assed attempt is not gonna cut it.

They actually have the right to force Disney to buy their share of Hulu in 2024. They haven't promised to sell.

It is a put/call agreement. Comcast can force Disney to buy. Disney can force Comcast to sell.

Floor value for Hulu in Jan 2024 is 27.5B. Either can call an arbitration if value for Hulu is not agreed on (it won't be. There have been reports they are in arbitration now). It's similar to the agreement with MLB for 15% of BAM. Disney/CMCSA can always renegotiate, but I find it unlikely that DIS will not want to complete the acquisition, even with Mature content coming to Disney+. The only analyst I have seen calling for Disney to buy Hulu (at a discount nonetheless) to Comcast is Rich Greenfield. His reasons have me dumbfounded for why Disney would do that have me dumbfounded. Hulu is still very valuable with Live TV and possibly a licensor for 3rd parties and Indies.