• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
It'll be interesting to see if AEW responds. I could easily see AEW PPVs on HBO Max after this.

Doubt it. AEW PPVs are, by most accounts, doing better than expected and they are still a developing brand so the extra revenue is going to be needed for the time being. Unless Turner/WB has some type of control over the product (I don't know if anyone knows for sure), it'd be counterintuitive.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I'm stuck on Comcast, so I guess I get this for free.

Though it's the 4.99 version, so does this mean there will be ad breaks during PPV?

If they actually have live PPVs, I don't see how they could do that. In the VOD after its aired, sure. I believe WWE PPVs have also actually had internal ads for awhile now, too, at least I'm told. I haven't watched one in forever.

mtel

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder if Comcast would ever consider buying WWE outright. While I'm sure Vince wants to run the company for as long as he lives, it would be interesting if they did some sort of hostile takeover after an inevitable stock drop after his passing. I read somewhere that WWE actually are saving money by not touring at the moment, so perhaps even that could be reduced if they wanted them just as a media brand. All of this is very unlikely, but I'm sure someone at either company has thought about this during this deal making.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I wonder if Comcast would ever consider buying WWE outright. While I'm sure Vince wants to run the company for as long as he lives, it would be interesting if they did some sort of hostile takeover after an inevitable stock drop after his passing. I read somewhere that WWE actually are saving money by not touring at the moment, so perhaps even that could be reduced if they wanted them just as a media brand. All of this is very unlikely, but I'm sure someone at either company has thought about this during this deal making.

I'm pretty sure Vince and the combined McMahon family own enough of the stock itself that a hostile takeover would not be possible, though I don't know that 100% for sure. Either way, I would be shocked beyond shocked if anything like that happened while Vince is still alive. After he goes, though, I think just about anything could happen

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I actually find this deal weirdly intriguing. I haven't been subscribed to the WWE Network in 3-4 years now and it seems like a lot of the issues I had with it then are still problems now but now that they've offloaded some of the pad I'd be curious to see if we see more archival stuff get added on a regular basis again?

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I don't watch any WWE programming but whenever I see a review or whatever of an episode of RAW on Youtube it always looks absolutely fucking wretched from the single pic they use in the video link.

A blonde girl with pigtails cosplaying Harley Quinn on a swing or something?!

What the fuck am I even looking at here?!

Garbage.

Welcome to WrestleMania 37, brought to you by Baconnaise, and that episode of The Office where they find a joint in the parking lot.

Fixed.

I haven't seen many episodes of The Office.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
I actually find this deal weirdly intriguing. I haven't been subscribed to the WWE Network in 3-4 years now and it seems like a lot of the issues I had with it then are still problems now but now that they've offloaded some of the pad I'd be curious to see if we see more archival stuff get added on a regular basis again?
I wouldn't count on that

Oct 25, 2017

Doubt it

The service has been pretty wretched for archive stuff for quite some time. It's cool it has a ton of old promotions but it's awful for historical story type following.

People were subbing for the ppvs and the old stuff rarely charted well iirc

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
These shitheads keep on falling upwards

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
The pandemic was the best thing to happen to WWE money wise freaking hell. How is this company making more money with declining ratings every year!?
These shitheads keep on falling upwards

Vince and company basically cashed in their long-standing relationships with various media conglomerates in an era where everyone is scrambling to have enough content to justify having a streaming service

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering how the integration in to Peacock is going to go. The rare times when I subscribed for a month or two showed me how terrible the discoverability already is for their back catalog. The people who use the network for its historical library of shows and promotions will probably end up even more pissed, lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Columbus, OH
So does that mean you'll be able to watch Raw and NXT live from the Peacock app now?
Raw will probably remain on the USA Network for the foreseeable future but NXT is anyone's guess right now. This streaming deal is happening as the NBC Sports Network is going away with NASCAR and NHL moving to USA. Some of which will be on Wednesdays.
There's a chance WWE *could* move NXT to Peacock in the same timeslot to continue to act as a spoiler for AEW Dynamite, even if it means less viewers overall. (Plus they could spin it as just another network change and not a step back, since it wouldn't be returning to exclusively streaming on their app.)
I can see the smaller streaming services eventually getting eaten up by bigger ones over time.

WWE Network has a ton of content to say the least, but they never hit their target. I believe they expected 4 million but never got above 2.
They had a lower ceiling than they ever wanted to admit with wrestling fans but there did seem to be an effort to reach out to indies and make the WWE Network a broader wrestling streaming service from at least some people in the company. I think it's easy to see why that never took off if you look at WWE's history with just about any other wrestling company they've done business with in the last 40 years. (Acquire, erase, take credit for.)

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
A BILLION DOLLARS for five years of WWE Network subscribers.

Huh.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get why they would get rid of the standalone app. Shit is already clunky to browse through, can't even imagine how cluttered it would be on Peacock.

Good news is i get the 4.99 sub for free through comcast. So 4.99 for PPV and ad free Peacock ain't too bad.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's a bad deal. What this signals more of, to me, is that NBC does not think it's likely that they're going to expand their NFL coverage after negotiations this spring. There was some talk that NBC was going to make a play for FOX's NFC lineup of games.

The golden goose of television is "live" events, whether it's sports or scripted. It's one of the few things people will regularly tolerate long ad-breaks for.

Thinking more about it, $200m/year for an exclusive streaming provider isn't very much. Seems like a good deal for NBC. WWE is probably happy to stop outsourcing development for WWE Network services.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's a bad deal. What this signals more of, to me, is that NBC does not think it's likely that they're going to expand their NFL coverage after negotiations this spring. There was some talk that NBC was going to make a play for FOX's NFC lineup of games.

The golden goose of television is "live" events, whether it's sports or scripted. It's one of the few things people will regularly tolerate long ad-breaks for.
The problem is that WWE has been shown to be much less resistance to the DVR effect than real sports.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Welcome to WrestleMania 37, brought to you by Snickers, and The Office

Nah, they'd never water it down with shitty product tie-ins like that for a cheap buck.

hhhmania29.gif

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that WWE has been shown to be much less resistance to the DVR effect than real sports.

Yeah, of course, it's still far behind the NFL, NASCAR, golf, etc., but it's also leagues ahead of anything else that NBC is streaming on Peacock, which... for the most part, seems to have been shows that haven't been on TV in 15 years.

4 highly watched live PPV's a year, and 8 other ... kinda watched live PPVs a year ... is a good get for them.

Dick Ebersol also has that 40+ year relationship with Vince and has always been eager to land live pro wrestling if the price is right. This seems like a pretty good price. Who knows maybe they'll bring back Saturday Night's Main Event

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
So doing the math at $1 billion for 5 years at $4.99 each, NBC needs 3.3 million new subscribers a month, which is basically double what WWE has right now.

I have no idea how that makes any sense with record low RAW viewership on USA.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how many of those 1.1 million suscribers came from the US? Still kinda wild that the network is being absorbed with a much bigger catalogue of services and at a cheaper price, it kinda shows how the network wasn't really good value unless you are really into wrestling

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Literally every advertisment I have seen for Peacock- be it on TV, or sent to my e-mail, or promoted tweet, etc- has said nothing about the service other than "Watch The Office". If nothing else, this is at least...something..... that NBC can use to try and sell their service

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
So doing the math at $1 billion for 5 years at $4.99 each, NBC needs 3.3 million new subscribers a month, which is basically double what WWE has right now.

I have no idea how that makes any sense with record low RAW viewership on USA.
The numbers are worse than that. Of the 1.6 million network subscribers, only about a million are domestic (which is what peacock is getting) and quite a bit of those are free or reduced trials. They will lose money on this WWE deal

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
I'm wondering how the integration in to Peacock is going to go. The rare times when I subscribed for a month or two showed me how terrible the discoverability already is for their back catalog. The people who use the network for its historical library of shows and promotions will probably end up even more pissed, lol.
This is literally my only concern. Otherwise, they're saving me $10 a month, since I already have peacock.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
1 Billion for a 5 year deal doesn't seem like that much given theres already an existing userbase for the service and its a vast amount of content including new stuff every month.

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
This actually isn't that bad of a deal. Vince gets the MONEYYYYY MONEY YEAH YEAH WWE gets to expand themselves from their own network into a much more "mainstream" one, and we get choices in how to watch with the tiers

Hell I have Xfinity so I should get the premium for free.

I was nervous when I read the headline since I thought it was gonna be the shitty ESPN+ UFC deal but I can't think of too many issues with this besides consolidation

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
They're really trying to make Peacock a thing, aren't they? It's gonna be difficult for them to escape from being a meme tier streaming service. Anecdotally speaking, I don't know a single person IRL who has a Peacock sub.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
2 years WWE-free and I don't miss it at all.

However, I DO miss easy access to all of the legacy content. Love watching random old Saturday Night Main Events or Legends Of Wrestling roundtable shoots.

chazwick

Nov 2, 2017
I think it's worth it. Will only help the service grow.
Yeah the deal works from both sides. WWE will make more money with less expense now and gets access to 30 million new eyes, while Peakcock gets constant live events, another thing to try to retain there existing members and a million new members.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
This deal is good money, but all WWE needed was even less incentive to give a shit about their product.