• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. Ppl forget competition is good

every single time with these dumb ass posts. honestly, if you're still making these braindead posts a year into the existence of EGS, the problem is with you.

Left: "lack of competition", right "competition" thanks to epic

img_20190406_182514_6q7kxt.jpg

below: same game, after it stops being epic exclusive:

cXrLqIu.png

the connection of your argument to reality is about as much as trump's regular brain diarrhea, and you need to stop regurgitating the same nonsense that has 0 thought or truth behind it.

you might think my reaction is over the top. but clearly you don't hang around in threads like these, because your exact argument is made in drive-by by dozens of posters every single time we have this thread. it's really annoying for the pc gaming community to have to go over the same exact talking points made by people who put 0 thought into it and make 0 effort to engage in the longer conversation, spending like a dozen posts per each time someone makes this nonsense argument. it derails threads, it pushes out the community with what amounts to low effort trolling. do better, engage with the conversation if you actually want to post your hot take.

Last edited:

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Competition that benefits customers is good.

Good: Decent sales and promotions
Bad: Paying money to prevent competing stores from selling a damn game.

There's a big difference, and not all "competition" is beneficial to the user.
You are right on that.
The thing about "competition is good" mantra is that the idea is that competition will push both sides to become better by adapting and doing new things.
Sadly, the problem is that in the PC market, none of the "competitors" except for GoG have tried to actually compete in that sense. There is no "competition" when the store launches in a state worse than the previous big competitior nearly 10 years ago (EGS) or has not had any big improvement in nearly 10 years (uPlay and Origin). None of those stores are pushing the market leader to improve, they are just happy to stay stagnant and add no extra value to the platform while "competing".

What new thing has EGS brought to the customer that GoG and Steam have to react to? Nothing. Even Origin brought better refund policies! The only competition is forcing people to use their store, which would only point to Valve that maybe just moneyhatting is good (its not).

TDLR: Competition is good mantra is based on actually having a competition that benefits the customer. Stop using that.

viral

Oct 25, 2017

Believe me, most people who buy games just buy them to play them. Achievements are nice, and the trading cards are good for getting some money back, but not having these aren't dealbreakers. Stuff like BPM and extended controller support can still be used on EGS games if you add them to Steam. Would it be better if everything was on Steam? Sure, but they're not, and I don't really see the point in rioting against it when the stuff you lose is so miniscule.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
This is really saddening. I heard that so many PC Community people left Era because of how much trolling they were being thrown and now the groups are splintered.
I really love how despite half-killing the PC Gaming community, forcing it to change the name and making it so that they should have no issue going to the PC Gaming OT, where everything is quite chill, only one or two of the EGS fans post there. Because of course.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Something positive that i could say about EGS is the fact i can play the games without starting the client. It would be real progress if Steam followed this feature. But Valve doesn't seem to care.

That's not up to Valve I think though it's up to developers. Plenty of games from Steam can actually just be run by the .exe themselves without Steam running. Mostly older titles though and the shortcut Steam creates will launch Steam I'm sure. Unless you mean some kind of authentication built into the .exe to run without the launcher but that seems like more layers of DRM. Another thing that Valve doesn't stipulate but devs seem to default to have Steam DRM active even when GOG versions don't hace DRM. Kinda annoying but not in Valves hands I think.

Also with Epic launching games without the launcher did something happen with Control that messed around with that? I thought Control was getting forced to run through the launcher because of expansion release not working without it or something. It kinda reeks of half assed implementation rather than a design philosophy.

Oct 25, 2017
Believe me, most people who buy games just buy them to play them. Achievements are nice, and the trading cards are good for getting some money back, but not having these aren't dealbreakers. Stuff like BPM and extended controller support can still be used on EGS games if you add them to Steam. Would it be better if everything was on Steam? Sure, but they're not, and I don't really see the point in rioting against it when the stuff you lose is so miniscule.
I think you may wanna double check the on that assessment

And remember just because you don't use those features, doesn't mean there not popular

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
That's not up to Valve I think though it's up to developers. Plenty of games from Steam can actually just be run by the .exe themselves without Steam running. Mostly older titles though and the shortcut Steam creates will launch Steam I'm sure. Unless you mean some kind of authentication built into the .exe to run without the launcher but that seems like more layers of DRM. Another thing that Valve doesn't stipulate but devs seem to default to have Steam DRM active even when GOG versions don't hace DRM. Kinda annoying but not in Valves hands I think.

Also with Epic launching games without the launcher did something happen with Control that messed around with that? I thought Control was getting forced to run through the launcher because of expansion release not working without it or something. It kinda reeks of half assed implementation rather than a design philosophy.
Neither Epic nor Steam force/prevent DRM-free releases, unlike GoG which is the only store that forces DRM free (their best feature). Thing was that Epic DRM was trash and most things avoided it like a fire, but now it is a thing that actually fucks up with Steam integration as shown in YL.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I disagree with the main talking point. They've tried to create goodwill by giving free games but it doesn't change the facts. It's a business and I get it but so many more advanced features are on Steam and it still annoys me and I've held well against buying anything exclusive to EGS.

I did get World War Z for 5 for the kids. I'm not buying fully priced day 1 games though.

MattEnth

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Competition is good mantra is based on actually having a competition that benefits the customer.

I'll defend "competition is good" for a moment.

Not all competition needs to immediately benefit the consumer.

In Epic's case, they are inside a supply chain. Game developers make the games. Epic markets and distributes them.

The Steam/Epic competition is absolutely good for game developers, who are seeing more revenue and more exposure. They are getting a bigger piece of the pie.

The 12% vs 30% cut is huge, and I'm sure the exclusivity payments are also huge. That money gets reinvested and, eventually, benefits consumers.

What was Steam/Valve investing their extra 18% in? What benefit was that money providing consumers?

And I agree with Epic's strategy of exclusives. I agree because of Discord and Twitch's failures. Neither could actually compete as a storefront despite having everything you think you'd need from a competitive positioning standpoint.

So if Discord and Twitch fail as alternative storefronts, and there really isn't much "feature differentiation" as an ecommerce and distribution platform...

... then exclusives are the only way to enter the market.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

In Epic's case, they are inside a supply chain. Game developers make the games. Epic markets and distributes them.

The Steam/Epic competition is absolutely good for game developers, who are seeing more revenue and more exposure. They are getting a bigger piece of the pie.

The 12% vs 30% cut is huge, and I'm sure the exclusivity payments are also huge. That money gets reinvested and, eventually, benefits consumers.

What was Steam/Valve investing their extra 18% in? What benefit was that money providing consumers?

And I agree with Epic's strategy of exclusives. I agree because of Discord and Twitch's failures. failure. Neither could actually compete as a storefront despite having everything you think you'd need from a competitive positioning standpoint.

So if Discord and Twitch fail as alternative storefronts, and there really isn't much "feature differentiation" as an ecommerce and distribution platform...

"absolutely good FOR SOME game developers", those that get the golden ticket while the big majority gets a "sorry curation" that brings us back to the late 200Xs, where all indie developers were begging for more openness. Sure, it is good being one of those few game developers that get the ticket, but the big majority just goes back to seeing everything from the window.

What is Steam/Valve investing their extra 18% in? They offer more payment methods that can cost up to 15% of the cut, which EGS makes the people pay for.
What is Valve investing in? Free software that helps every single developers.

Discord also had exclusives. It failed because it tried to compete 1 to 1 with the market leader without offering something new. Epic only is not "failing" because they have even more money to light up on fire.
Now, why didnt GoG fail? Because they had something that made them unique, a DRM free policy that enders people
Why isnt Windows Store failing now? Because they have something that makes them unique, Gamepass a good service that makes it more palatable.
What is EGS doing? Nothing unique, only forcing you to use it.

You cannot bring "competition didnt work" for Discord or Twitch without addressing how bad their stores were and how they didnt bring anything unique.

Last edited:

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I do think it's quite telling that I haven't seen any indie developers publicly wanting to get their games on EGS, which suggests that it's not been particularly successful at selling games.

Oct 25, 2017
You can really tell which people actually have any experience in PC gaming, when they exclaim EGS for their free games, as if they were the only ones to do so.

Or the free games let them 'discover' new games, when all of them so far, have been the top indie games of the past few years.

Not paying much attention for supposed "PC gamers"
wat

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017

The stuff you lose not having a game on Steam is minuscule, because Steam still has you covered when you're using Stores with no features.

Isn't it great when someone put the customer first?

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
That money gets reinvested and, eventually, benefits consumers.

You make a definitive statement that the money gets reinvested and benefits customers with no evidence. It would not always be the case. Then you seem to imply that Valve are not reinvesting money into their store to the benefit of their customers with added features. Something seems off to me here, could you explain a bit more.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
If all that people really cared about those features that much, every game not released on Steam would have been dead on arrival. That's clearly not the case, so it's a safe bet that most people really don't care about them.

there aren't that many egs success stories though. BL3 did alright, Satisfactory too. Can't think of anything else. RDR2 was relatively a disaster (400k only)

LordDraven

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
User Banned (5 Days): Trolling over series of posts
every single time with these dumb ass posts. honestly, if you're still making these braindead posts a year into the existence of EGS, the problem is with you.

cXrLqIu.png

the connection of your argument to reality is about as much as trump's regular brain diarrhea, and you need to stop regurgitating the same nonsense that has 0 thought or truth behind it.

you might think my reaction is over the top. but clearly you don't hang around in threads like these, because your exact argument is made in drive-by by dozens of posters every single time we have this thread. it's really annoying for the pc gaming community to have to go over the same exact talking points made by people who put 0 thought into it and make 0 effort to engage in the longer conversation, spending like a dozen posts per each time someone makes this nonsense argument. it derails threads, it pushes out the community with what amounts to low effort trolling. do better, engage with the conversation if you actually want to post your hot take.
Business common sense bud. Competition is good. If you fail to see that then your loss. I won't be replying again to you. Cya!

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
You can really tell which people actually have any experience in PC gaming, when they exclaim EGS for their free games, as if they were the only ones to do so.

Or the free games let them 'discover' new games, when all of them so far, have been the top indie games of the past few years.

Not paying much attention for supposed "PC gamers"
Well , I cant buy every game that comes out. And not every game catches my attention. And some games I think I just wouldnt like them .

Gamepass and EGS let me figure that out by playing some games I wouldnt have bought .

I guess I'm not PC gamer enough . lol

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
there aren't that many egs success stories though. BL3 did alright, Satisfactory too. Can't think of anything else. RDR2 was relatively a disaster (400k only)
World War Z and Satisfactory are the two EGS games that I'd happily call unqualified EGS success stories. I think had Borderlands 3 launched on Steam, it could have matched Fallout 4's concurrent peak of 400k+, so I'm hesistant to call that a success.

I do also find it pretty telling that WWZ and Satisfactory remains the only two EGS exclusives with explicitly stated sales numbers. I have a theory that Epic disallows the publication of sale figures until any advance and/or sales guarentee is met, which would then imply that the rest of the EGS exclusives hasn't broken even for Epic.

Last edited:

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017

This is pure speculation.

Take Rune 2 for example. A game Epic paid exclusivity for, yet the game released in an unfinished state with the developer going to Bethesda and the publisher looking for someone to finish Rune 2 - while it's available for purchase!

Where did that money go?

Or 4A not even knowing that Deep Silver/Koch Media cut an exclusivity deal with Epic, for the game they were working on. Whose pockets were lined on that one?

But that benefits me right?

Epic can't even sell gift cards because their cut is so small that they can't eat the cost of the fees that Valve does.

It's been extensively talked about in regards to all that Valve does, while Epic does nothing but fragment the market to entice people to their store.

That's not benefitting me.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
PC gaming is better for sure, but not because of Epic

MS is back to Steam
EA is back to Steam
Bethesda is back to Steam
Destiny 2 is on steam
So-called journalists continue to embarrass themselves with the EGS.

Can't wait for more hot takes from Nathan Grayson and PCgamer.
Epic's biggest 'success' is that their business strategy managed to drive a wedge between developers and customers.
All facts.

This article is shit and whoever likes it should feel bad about supporting this fake journalism from PCWorld.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
lmao what sort of discussion is this.

Honestly I'm kind of surprised they replied, posts like that usually just drive by with "actually competition good" and never come back, but I guess it's worse if they come back and triple down on the nonsense. And I guess I was right with the trump logic callout because the response really did sound like him

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I mean, nothing says they absolutely have to enter the market and I don't think anyone really asked them to. I'd honestly argue it's completely redundant since the market was growing at a steady pace without them and it's not like the market they entered is lacking in competition. I don't think it's much of an excuse just because it's perceived as "well... it's the only way of doing it so it needs to be done". It's still not something I'll personally encourage or see as a net positive for the industry.

I'm really curious what the plan is long term. Whenever they drop the exclusives, how will they compete? Will they ever be able to compete without exclusives?

Last edited:

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
EGS is fine. It's a storefront, not as fully-featured as Steam but slowly working on it, and just another place to buy a game. Liking/hating it is no different than having a favorite screwdriver. It's ok to have a favorite screwdriver but pledging undying loyalty to it seems a bit strange.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
if you have used the GamePass app on PC, you would know it's not even a threat
Personally speaking if game pass used "normal files" like steam and worked as easily as steam. It hink it would be the biggest challenger against steam.

cXrLqIu.png

This post should be pinned by mods henever epic is the thread's title

And I agree with Epic's strategy of exclusives. I agree because of Discord and Twitch's failures. Neither could actually compete as a storefront despite having everything you think you'd need from a competitive positioning standpoint.

Its obviously you don't follow valve as they heavily invest in the industry. From VR to other libraries that many games use, valve has heavily helped the industry forward. A real example SD G generation gundam crossrays uses steam controller configuration for its controller compatibility.

That said what i want to discuss is the "exclusives are the only way to enter the market." which is not true at all. There are several ways to beat the usual market leader, for example WII beat all expections by grabbing the casual market. My point is a new store doesn't necessarily need exclusives but a few killer features that steam can't replicate in a few months.

For example If I were creating a new strorefront i'd allow for "used" digital games. Being able to resell your library would make the store an instant success with the consumer. These used sales would give money to both the new store and the devs just like steam cards do.

Simple features like when downloading the game libraries such as direct x would be installed (thus stopping the need for the first time setup) and a costumizable UI so that no matter your preferences or your resolution you could have it fit your needs.

IMO if a company really wants to compete with steam there are still a lot of features steam doesn't have that they can push for. But most companies that are "competing" with steam aren't really competing they just want a piece of the pie with the most minimal effort. Look at how much origin and uplay changed in the last couple of years! they basically changed nothing. Look at steam introducing VR, steam controller configuration, steam together,etc.
Uplay and origin barely brough something new to the gaming industry, Why do you think Epic will be the exception?

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
EGS is fine. It's a storefront, not as fully-featured as Steam but slowly working on it, and just another place to buy a game. Liking/hating it is no different than having a favorite screwdriver. It's ok to have a favorite screwdriver but pledging undying loyalty to it seems a bit strange.

Could you quote everybody that is pledging undying loyalty or nah?

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
read the below.
Do you still think your analogy is correct?

cXrLqIu.png

Dec 14, 2019
Personally speaking if game pass used "normal files" like steam and worked as easily as steam. It hink it would be the biggest challenger against steam.

This post should be pinned by mods henever epic is the thread's title

Its obviously you don't follow valve as they heavily invest in the industry. From VR to other libraries that many games use, valve has heavily helped the industry forward. A real example SD G generation gundam crossrays uses steam controller configuration for its controller compatibility.

That said what i want to discuss is the "exclusives are the only way to enter the market." which is not true at all. There are several ways to beat the usual market leader, for example WII beat all expections by grabbing the casual market. My point is a new store doesn't necessarily need exclusives but a few killer features that steam can't replicate in a few months.

For example If I were creating a new strorefront i'd allow for "used" digital games. Being able to resell your library would make the store an instant success with the consumer. These used sales would give money to both the new store and the devs just like steam cards do.

Simple features like when downloading the game libraries such as direct x would be installed (thus stopping the need for the first time setup) and a costumizable UI so that no matter your preferences or your resolution you could have it fit your needs.

IMO if a company really wants to compete with steam there are still a lot of features steam doesn't have that they can push for. But most companies that are "competing" with steam aren't really competing they just want a piece of the pie with the most minimal effort. Look at how much origin and uplay changed in the last couple of years! they basically changed nothing. Look at steam introducing VR, steam controller configuration, steam together,etc.
Uplay and origin barely brough something new to the gaming industry, Why do you think Epic will be the exception?

Used digital games would create a nightmare for publishers and developers. I hope it never happens.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Amen. Seriously, Steam did more this year than EGS, and that is with EGS having a ton more of "easy" things to add. And you can see GoG and MS trying a different approach actually worked well for them, as they looked for niches they could grow to have a base from the beggining.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I realized I have 71 EGS games, well actually 73 today now that two more games are up for free. I'm loving it.

Oh wow, today was actually 3 games. Darksiders 1 and friggin 2 + Steep. Dude!

Last edited:

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

This is the candidate for the worst and hottest hot-take of 2020 and we're only few hours in.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

What happened to that Epic trello board, I remember them putting all the upcoming features and things they were supposed to implement in 2019?

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I really love how despite half-killing the PC Gaming community, forcing it to change the name and making it so that they should have no issue going to the PC Gaming OT, where everything is quite chill, only one or two of the EGS fans post there. Because of course.

Maybe it's the adversarial relationship that was created. I've been called a shill, astroturfer and not a real PC gamer for supporting EGS. Same thing for journalists and indie devs I follow. The current community feels unwelcoming.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's the adversarial relationship that was created. I've been called a shill, astroturfer and not a real PC gamer for supporting EGS. Same thing for journalists and indie devs I follow. The current community feels unwelcoming.
"The current community feels unwelcoming."
You mean after doing everything to be welcoming for you you decide it is not good enough. Ok. As I said, maybe you should try joining it instead of just saying it is unwelcoming.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
You imagine developers will be thrilled at getting a minuscule cut of a small fee vs the regular 70% cut of a full priced sale?
putting like that yes they will not be thrilled.

That said I think that it is only a matter of time before digital goods are seen like physical ones. As a consumer it makes 0 sense on why i can sell X physical edition but can't do the same for X digital edition. EU has "lawed" in refunds for digital goods, i think trading/selling licenses will be the next logical step for consumer rights.

Assuming the above will happen in the next decade I think it would be preferable for stores to stay upfront of the law instead of being forced to do stuff by the law.

Can you explain how EGS is benefiting me as the consumer?
(after you see the images below)

cXrLqIu.png

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Nah. If anyone has made PC gaming a better place in the last year, it's Microsoft.

Giving their players/fans ACTUAL CHOICE where to buy games, PC Game Pass, new Xbox app (so we can bypass the Windows Store), dropping UWP, etc. I hope they continue this streak by allowing mods and unlocking the files for their versions of games next.

Microsoft has done far more for PC gaming that's actually tangible and, most importantly, beneficial, from our perspectives than Epic has.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. Ppl forget competition is good
Competition is not inherently good.

Competition is only good insofar as it benefits the market and the consumer. Epic's form of competition is good for consumers in that they give away free games. It is also very bad for consumers because it reduces the amount of places to buy a game when they purchase an exclusive, in some cases making it so they literally can't purchase a game in their country. It's also bad for the market because it blocks the smaller storefronts, who don't have Epic or Valve money, from selling certain games.

Epic's form of "competition" is bad for PC gaming.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. If anyone has made PC gaming a better place in the last year, it's Microsoft.

Giving their players/fans ACTUAL CHOICE where to buy games, PC Game Pass, new Xbox app (so we can bypass the Windows Store), dropping UWP, etc. I hope they continue this streak by allowing mods and unlocking the files for their versions of games.
Xbox app is the same as Windows Store, it does nothing like "bypass the Windows Store". Otherwise yeah.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Xbox app is the same as Windows Store, it does nothing like "bypass the Windows Store". Otherwise yeah.

But it's easier to use than the Windows Store. The back-end doesn't matter as far as front-facing UX goes, which was mostly what I was referring to.

It's especially more helpful for game pass. Before, finding Game Pass games on PC was a giant pain in the ass. At least with the new Xbox app, they're all front and center.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
That said I think that it is only a matter of time before digital goods are seen like physical ones. As a consumer it makes 0 sense on why i can sell X physical edition but can't do the same for X digital edition. EU has "lawed" in refunds for digital goods, i think trading/selling licenses will be the next logical step for consumer rights.
If this ever happens the companies will just adapt by making everything a subscription or micro-transaction based. It won't benefit anyone in the long run.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
"The current community feels unwelcoming."
You mean after doing everything to be welcoming for you you decide it is not good enough.
This is what I'm talking about when I mean adversarial relationship. I'm sorry you feel your community was personally attacked, but you seem to blame everyone that is not a part of it as the guilty party.

Can you explain how EGS is benefiting me as the consumer?
(after you see the images below)
I do not care to discuss this. My post is not about EGS.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
This is what I'm talking about when I mean adversarial relationship. I'm sorry you feel your community was personally attacked, but you seem to blame everyone that is not a part of it as the guilty party.

I do not care to discuss this. My post is not about EGS.
Nah, I am just fed up of how the community has changed a lot and you just say "confrontational" without ever reading it. You can easily go into the OT and see how calm it is. But hey, it is cool to generalise.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I bought like 4 games yesterday and just like before, after the third one my card started declining the purchases. Please give us a goddamn shopping cart you bastards. It's now 2020 for fuck's sake.