• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
if you have used the GamePass app on PC, you would know it's not even a threat
I would say as it currently is not that much, but is much closer to be competitive than EGS. Still, Steam seems to be wise enough to start allowing subscription on the service, as they will get EA Access this year.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just bought Anno 1800 Gold Edition for $32.74, I feel good about it and that is all that matters. We used to praise Steam sales but can't now because you don't like the store?

The game runs through UPlay so why would this not be a benefit? I'll wait for an actual answer.
It's not because your forced to use two poor stores for it.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Not sure why this thread was bumped? It certainly wasn't to talk about this terribly written and reasoned article. 🤔

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I've used Game Pass on and off on PC for the last couple of months. Had only minor issues, and the sheer value of the subscription trumps any of them.

It's quite great when it works, although I've run into the issue of it not allowing me to install games on most of my hard drives and I don't know how to fix it. I have a 6TB drive, but I can only install games to my tiny SSDs (120-240GB), so I can barely install anything.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The joyful ignorance of goal post moving when people clearly outline issues perceived with the EGS tactics never gets old. The fact I'm happy to have sixty different store fronts does not then lessen my opinion that the EGS is a toxic blob on PC gaming at this time. With regional pricing on top of USD to AUD currency conversion, lacking UI elements expected in modern digital spaces (your library list is just a play button that's it), exclusivity poaching that causes scummy disruption and monopoly pricing and lacking technical support channels because reasons.

The EGS should be a stalwart for gamers to have alternative shopping choices on games across many stores. It shouldn't be abusing Fortnite money but instead focusing it on bettering an open platform that offers choice to the customer.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoying my free games on EGS and my two single purchases (Borderlands 3 and Untitled Goose Game).

If Epic wants to continue paying devs and giving away games, I'm all for it. It has certainly improved PC gaming for me and the only one who has been "hurt" is whoever gamer remains exclusive to a single storefront, which is really silly.
No one has a problem with the positive aspects of the Epic Games Store. If EGS has purely been good for you, then that's good for you.

To an extent it's ok to be ignorant about something, but a year later coming into a thread about something you don't seem to care about, and clearly haven't cared to inform yourself about, just to dismiss and mock people who are negatively impacted by it, is incomprehensible to me.

The "I don't know/care about the negative aspects, fuck the people impacted by them, I got mine" argument is an extremely bad and tired argument.

EGS exclusive games have a tendency to become more expensive, is one thing that people continue to ignore so they can for some reason shit on us who have a problem with EGS. Like, if you don't think losing money matters then please send me some.

I will say that EGS has gotten better in regards to pricing. But whether driven by Epic or publishers, EGS feels much more in control of pricing. EGS is more restrictive in regards to where EGS keys can be distributed, and I have no idea what their various exclusivity contracts dictate. Control isn't available on GMG for instance. Is that a 505 or Epic decision? Who knows? But it doesn't really matter, the end result does.

It's more or less on a case by case basis, and I can only speak for my own region, but if a full priced game is EGS exclusive, it could be €60 until there's a sale, up to 30% more than I'd might otherwise be asked to pay for a non-EGS key. Availability in one of the like three third party stores EGS works with, is not certain, and if it is, the discount you typically get in a store like GMG might not exist, or it might be lower than it would've been for a non-EGS key, which seems likely due to the profit margin for stores being significantly lower for EGS keys. 30% is generally the standard revenue share, it's 12% with EGS.

GMG has to be losing money on EGS keys if their discount cuts too deep. Don't know how that's working out for them. Third party stores getting pushed out of business or becoming unable to offer savings to customers is of some concern, and something I care about because that's how I can afford games. If that stops being an option, I'll either buy less games or I'll go to keyshops. Doesn't seem like a great thing for developers.

But I suppose we're to trust that Epic knows what they're doing. It's good for us and developers, they say. Why wouldn't you trust a company with the expertise and foresight to launch a store without a cart and that triggered fraud detection if people made too many purchases during a sale? That made a roadmap public only to have multiple features pushed back until they eventually took the roadmap down? And whatever else I may have forgotten.

Like I said, I sense that things have improved. I'm not exactly keeping track of all the EGS games, but I know Control was at a decent price during the recent sale, granted it reached that level much later than it probably would've otherwise. EGS is still new, we don't really know exactly how things will unfold, and I'm not investing anything in this platform until I feel I can trust I won't get screwed.

One thing I might relent on though is my decision to not register an account at all. I might perhaps do that if there's a free game I think I'd care to play.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
User Warned: Inflammatory comment
I have a hard time taking the outrage against EGS here in a serious manner when Valve was called out during the HK protestors where they low key supported the regime and that thread got extremely few response or anything here... while every thread on EGS massive amount of poster come in and shot on EGS.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
No one has a problem with the positive aspects of the Epic Games Store. If EGS has purely been good for you, then that's good for you.

To an extent it's ok to be ignorant about something, but a year later coming into a thread about something you don't seem to care about, and clearly haven't cared to inform yourself about, just to dismiss and mock people who are negatively impacted by it, is incomprehensible to me.

The "I don't know/care about the negative aspects, fuck the people impacted by them, I got mine" argument is an extremely bad and tired argument.
Even that would actually be an improvement over what is posted. Because at least it would recognize that people are impacted by negative aspect as they have argued over multiple post with very specific example. It would just be a poster not caring for it as much as he care for his own benefites ( free games or whatever ).
But no, what we get is people ignoring those argument over those negative aspects to portray the opposition only as being platform warrior/fanboy who have zero factual argument for their position.

On another unrelated note, whataboutism is already comfirmed to still be a thing on the first day of 2020. :/

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have a hard time taking the outrage against EGS here in a serious manner when Valve was called out during the HK protestors where they low key supported the regime and that thread got extremely few response or anything here... while every thread on EGS massive amount of poster come in and shot on EGS.

What the fuck do those things have to do with each other?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
All people said it was a shit move. There was no discussion. On the other hand every EGS topic has the concern people calling against the bad evil Steam monopoly, so there is discussion. Same thing with positive Steam news, they just die because there is no discussion.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Then let's take a point in time where game quality/review couldn't be an argument, you could pre order 3 month before the game release, Anno 2205 for 37.5$ thanks to other store selling keys, here Nuuvem.

It's all about how I attain value. I think Anno 1800 with season pass is worth what I paid on Epic. That's the great thing about the PC, there are tons of options out there and I think Epic is also a valid one. Red Dead Redemption 2 is another game I think I did alright on with the Epic sale. Steam has also countered with the timed exclusives so I doubt we will see what we've seen in the past with big AAA games being exclusive on Epic for a year.

The difference being, customers don't pay $15 a month to use EGS

Not sure I follow, Epic has no subscription fees and if I think Game Pass no longer offers good value to me it's not a marriage, I can leave at any time.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I suppose Epic accepting such a huge investment from Tencent must also ruffle your feathers. You know, if we're being consistent here.

What the fuck do those things have to do with each other?

They don't lol

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
While some people worry about communities and shopping carts, I'm discovering and playing great games (free and also some with great prices.. the outer worlds was a steal!)

That's why it changed at least my "PC gaming" for the best.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure I follow, Epic has no subscription fees and if I think Game Pass no longer offers good value to me it's not a marriage, I can leave at any time.
Your original post said "Almost sounds like a Game Pass thread.", my point was MS can take the hit since they still get revenue from the subs, whereas Epic get nothing from people opening the launcher to redeem a free game and then closing it.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Your original post said "Almost sounds like a Game Pass thread.", my point was MS can take the hit since they still get revenue from the subs, whereas Epic get nothing from people opening the launcher to redeem a free game and then closing it.
My original comment was in regards to what ifs. I keep hearing these made up arguments to try and create a negative image of it's too good to be true. Sure one can make up the argument Epic throwing money away but I will take the free games and the deals regardless. Epic is obviously subsidizing potential losses to those devs same way Microsoft is in hopes they can both retain repeat customers. On the PC it's going to be tougher for Epic in the long run.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's quite great when it works, although I've run into the issue of it not allowing me to install games on most of my hard drives and I don't know how to fix it. I have a 6TB drive, but I can only install games to my tiny SSDs (120-240GB), so I can barely install anything.

There IS actually a fix for this but it's a bastard and I cant even remember what it is right now. Its the most stupid unrelated setting in windows 10 though and if you untick the box it will work.

Its been this way for years now and the fact it's not fixed is mind boggling. I'll see if I can dig up the fix for you

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I appreciate how the goalposts have moved from "Epic is going to take over the game store space due to Valve's complacency" to "Well Epic is responsible for all the advancements Steam's made recently so yay".
Right. Lol they gave away free shit. GAME
CHANGER! /s

Personally I haven't played any of the games they gave away for free because I have them all some where else. I haven't had one compelling reason to buy from them over steam considering I can get steam keys cheap from Humble, from Fanatical, etc.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Oh hey I found that fix. Quoting myself from the Outer Worlds thread since I csnt even find the fix via google anymore. Fingers crossed it works for you.

Fix for games not installing on Xbox app on PC

Sorry to be using bold but I figured this may help anyone else who got stuck trying to install. I noticed all games that wont install say they require administrator approval. Despite being on the admin account it still doesnt work.

So here's how to prevent this.

Click the start menu > settings (cog) > accounts > sign in options > scroll down to privacy and uncheck the bottom box (use my sign in info to automatically finish setting io my device...)

Once that's done restart your PC and enjoy actually being able to download stuff finally!

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
While some people worry about communities and shopping carts, I'm discovering and playing great games (free and also some with great prices.. the outer worlds was a steal!)

That's why it changed at least my "PC gaming" for the best.

It's kind of cute how easily people's preferences are manipulated, especially if they don't really care about the long term health of PC gaming

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I highly disagree with the article. Steam hasn't reacted yet, i wonder if Valve ever will. Reasons for this reasoning:
  • There wasn't, to my knowledge, a single feature steam copied from EGS.
  • Steam hasn't launched more new stuff then most previous years
  • Valve is heavily focussed in VR where EGS doesn't compete (in fact it uses valve's tools!)
  • Games talked about in the OT article were from companies that to some extent already invested in steam
While EGS has barely evolved making so many blunders that i don't think i'll ever touch it in a decade.

• made a roadmap- failed most features - removed the roadmap
  • Exclusives...
  • Horrible first sale after it was said they would never have "massive" sales
  • No new features that steam doesn't have
  • Removed anno 1800 and metro from steam store
  • Higher price then steam
  • doesn't allow competition from other stores.

EGS feels like console in the PC platform. Its absolutely disgusting.
I don't think I'd call it disgusting but I think the epic store is certainly misguided.

also, since we are talking about competition I would expect this to work both ways. Epic should be improving their store front. It they aren't. That's a big deal and that's why valve is of afraid of them.

The last thing I'd point out is the backlash to the epic store seems centered around the idea that PC gaming is an open platform while epic, as the poster stated above, is going for a more console approach. I think that's a huge part of the issue. If I was a developer I wouldn't take a money hat from epic simply because the blowback wouldn't be worth it. Look at Shenmue and Borderlands. Games that people we're looking forward to took a real PR beating just because of the store front.

Bottom line, this article is trash and it's really just the guy screaming how great free games are. That's not an industry game changer.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
if you have used the GamePass app on PC, you would know it's not even a threat

I did, in fact, for 3 months.

I played a lot on games on it, had a lot of problems as well. I could say i tasted the entire pc game pass beta experience with its all positive and negative points.

I wouldn't say it's a threat to Steam but it's relevant to the pc scene. I can safely see it as competition and i'm positive Valve and Gaben are taking a lot of notes. It still has much to change, both in functionality and price.

Meanwhile, EGS is still that thing that makes the Steam games release later but also has free stuff to compensate. There's absolutely zero things on EGS that made any progress in the PC gaming scene.

Edit: Something positive that i could say about EGS is the fact i can play the games without starting the client. It would be real progress if Steam followed this feature. But Valve doesn't seem to care.

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
Free games, regional pricing for where I live so games are way more affordable, lotsa good sales

The client could use some improvement, but still overall I like EGS

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Bottom line, this article is trash and it's really just the guy screaming how great free games are. That's not an industry game changer.

It would've been industry changer a decade ago. Epic Store really feels like Steam from decade ago (with more modern UI in good and bad), in that way it is accurate. :P

We all take free games nowdays granted but it's not actually that long ago it was new I think Steam had first one's in 2009 or so, but first were limited to certain hardware. (But both Nvidia and ATI had one). Back then you were lucky to get one free game a year, 2011 portal, 2012 metro 2033, and now we get multiple games a week). Gamepass always has $1 deals (though not permanent ownership), Fun times indeed.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Epic is huge advertiser (similar to big publishers), ad funds literally keep these sites alive, so you might not wanna make those angry for that reason either.
And Valve is big exception as they don't really advertise at all.

And clickbaity articles are good way to get views too.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
There is enough ammunition to criticise Epic and their store without going down the ethics in the video game media route.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
You can really tell which people actually have any experience in PC gaming, when they exclaim EGS for their free games, as if they were the only ones to do so.

Or the free games let them 'discover' new games, when all of them so far, have been the top indie games of the past few years.

Not paying much attention for supposed "PC gamers"

Last edited:

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
You can really tell which people actually have any experience in PC gaming, when they explain EGS for their free games, as if they were the only ones to do so.

Or the free games let them 'discover' new games, when all of them so far, have been the top indie games of the past few years.

Not paying much attention for supposed "PC gamers"
Or when they talk about competition being good and the multistore future, something that has been a thing for... 10 years.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind the Epic Store at all. The free games are nice, and if there is an exclusive I want, the store is not gonna stop me from getting it. I will still get everything on Steam if it's available there. And while the store is pretty barebones compared to Steam, pressing play and playing the game still works, so I don't really see the big deal.

I don't really see the big deal with them paying for exclusives either. The devs/publishers get their money and costumers don't really gett affected other than having to download a new client. The only one who can lose in this is Epic.

Dec 14, 2019
I don't mind the Epic Store at all. The free games are nice, and if there is an exclusive I want, the store is not gonna stop me from getting it. I will still get everything on Steam if it's available there. And while the store is pretty barebones compared to Steam, pressing play and playing the game still works, so I don't really see the big deal.

I don't really see the big deal with them paying for exclusives either. The devs/publishers get their money and costumers don't really gett affected other than having to download a new client. The only one who can lose in this is Epic.

If you use the features Steam has to offer, or care about having all your games in one library, you'll get affected in a big way.

jandg

Banned
Dec 23, 2019

It depends on how many of those features of Steam you need. Losing Steam is like falling back to Windows XP. Sure it's functional and you can get stuff to run, but that's about it.

And you know, it's not that I can't see the value of a competitive store, if it has a hook of it's own. Like GoG's library of old games.

But EGS simply doesn't bring anything new to the market, except for trying to monopolize games and forcing people to use it.

jandg

Banned
Dec 23, 2019
Also, is it just me or is this topic just pissing people off? What's the point?

viral

Oct 25, 2017
If you use the features Steam has to offer, or care about having all your games in one library, you'll get affected in a big way.

Sure, I guess, but that's not exclusive to EGS. MS store, Origins, Uplay, GOG has been around forever, so having everything in one place has already been a thing of the past. I just use GOG Galaxy for it anyway.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
while the store is pretty barebones compared to Steam
costumers don't really get affected other than having to download a new client.
customers don't really get affected
thinking-face_1f914.png

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
We have very specific examples of games which were available for preorder on steam ( and thus steam key on multiple other store ) becoming more expensive ( up to 50% ) than the previous best deal, the second the EGS deal made them remove the game from Steam.
And that's ignoring the ability to use family share to save money on some games ( like I do with my parents and brother ).
And the other features that steam offer (yes I get that not everyone makes use them ).

This is not just another client to download..

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
I have a large collection of games that I probably wouldnt have bought if it weren't for egs.

This is why I like gamepass as well

Have found some great games . If only I had the time to try them all.

X-Peaceman-X

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Article was pretty poor, but yes Epic has become my defacto launcher. Its open more than any other on my PC and i really enjoyed it actually. Steam finally shifted its library view to be more pleasing and Ive used it a bit more in the last few months, but im quite happy with spending my time and money on EGS

Dec 14, 2019
Sure, I guess, but that's not exclusive to EGS. MS store, Origins, Uplay, GOG has been around forever, so having everything in one place has already been a thing of the past. I just use GOG Galaxy for it anyway.

MS now release most of their games on Steam. The same with CDPR, EA, and Ubisoft did it before getting paid not to by Epic. I can still deal with Steam only.