• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
pc gaming in 2018: shitty, bad, sucks
pc gaming in 2019: great, cool, owns

whoa

Nov 8, 2017
Writer could at least look at this before writing article

The author doesn't even claim that most of this stuff wasn't in dev prior, they just have this notion about how they believe it caused them to hurry the timelines along. Maybe it did, maybe it didn't, but it's very much a "here's what I reckon" type thing, and the author doesn't claim it's anything more than that, so it's not like the'yre lying or anything. Kind of wierd to have that as a big tentpole part of your argument though.

Lost Knight

Mar 17, 2019
West Virginia
I just wish Epic had at least made their storefront more feature complete if they were gonna compete with Steam. Steam have had serious issues in the past and still have, let's not get around that, but EGS just feels hollow.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
I am always disappointed by how confrontational and toxic the gaming press is. It's always one thing against another, Epic did the most damage. Valve are vulnerable and should be scared! Epic spurred Valve out of complacency. Valve has built up Steam over many years and turned it into the success it is, and now I'm supposed to thank Epic for this? Get the fuck out.

Yeah, I go with this. As much as I dislike Epic's business approach, I mostly annoyed how the press handled this whole "situation". Just loads of fanboish, "pick a side", trash.

This is a topic that escaleted horrible, including harassment of developers and I put this on writers and articles like this one.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
What an inane article. The contortions certain members of the press go through to make EGS sound good are downright bizarre.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Incorrect. There were plenty of launchers before steam and after steam. Steam was just better and offered a better service.

How exactly was Steam being complecent? They've done literally nothing different expect update the library (but that has been in the works for years) and announce Half-Life 3 (which again I would assume has been in the works for years).

So money hatting exclusives is a good thing now? I guess its good for Epic but how is it good for consumers? I'm still waiting for Control and BL3 to come to steam. How does that help me? Oh that's right it doesn't.

lol. So you don't even know if their money hatting exclusives and giving away free shit worked? How the hell is that an argument?

That could be kids playing Fortnite. So of course they wouldn't have a steam account since you can't play Fortnite on steam and that's the only game they play. Of course there is no way to know since Epic won't tell you and you didn't go out of your way to try verify this so that number could complete bullshit but yet you put in your article anyway. And I'm not even sure know this makes PC gaming better. Its just Epic bragging about how many users they have. That doesn't help anyone but Epic.

Dude, you literally just admitted there is no way to verify this the sentence before when you said this:

You can't say the sales were hurt on steam when already admitted that the low sales on steam had too many variables to say what impacted the sales.

Now here i will agree. Halo being on steam is great for pc gaming but what the hell does Epic have to do with this? MS has been trying to get into pc for years and the deal to get ms titles on steam and more to do with MS and Valve coming together and literally nothing to do with Epic.

Literally no evidence to back this up. Literally making shit up

What a garbage article. Nothing suggested in this article would make anyone believe PC gaming has gotten better over the last year because of Epic. Its just a bunch of assumptions and guesses and assuming everyone is like you and is using epic launcher because of free games. I have not installed Epic on my new machine and don't plan to until they have the features steam does and when they stop money hatting games.
This is basically my response to reading this, such a misleading BS article.

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
This PC World article sounds like an article Sweeney sponsored under the table.

I'm all for multiple front stores as long as they don't lock games to their stores. We all should have the choice to select our preferred launchers. Why do we need to accept a company paying exclusivity for 50+ games to push gamers to use their launcher? Create a great launcher and people will flock there. That's how you compete with Steam. One year later, EGS is still as bare bones as a launcher can be.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, cool. An article claiming Epic paying publishers for timed exclusives is what caused Halo to release on Steam.

Thanks Tim Sweeney

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Was this article written by Tim? Honestly, this take is so baffling. I know now to ignore anything this guy ever writes.

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am glad the Epic game store exists. It has its faults but I've been enjoying the free games.

I will never understand the blind loyalty people have to Valve.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I am glad the Epic game store exists. It has its faults but I've been enjoying the free games.

xBmbOcq.gif

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
What an embarrassing article. Just look at this:
Epic did the most damage by locking down 2019's release calendar though. As I said, Steam was the de facto PC storefront for years. If a game came to PC then it came to Steam, with few exceptions.

In 2019, that couldn't be further from the truth. Epic shelled out a ton of money for timed exclusives. Good ones, too! Many of my favorite games this year, big and small alike, debuted on Epic's storefront—Metro Exodus, Outer Wilds and Obsidian's similarly named RPG The Outer Worlds, Control, and Tetris Effect.

The list goes on, more than 50 titles total, and includes heavy hitters like The Division 2 and Borderlands 3, plus pseudo-exclusives like Red Dead Redemption II.

Did it work? Probably. It's hard to know without concrete sales figures
lmao

"Did it work? We don't actually have the facts but YAY EPIC" 🤦‍♀️

CobaltBlu

Nov 29, 2017
This article is pretty bad. Also I think Microsoft's action and Gamepass have had a much more positive impact on PC market than EGS has.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
These drive bys:

Can only have the same response

As usual, fun to see the folks that jump into the "this is why I hate PC gaming" / Valve bashing threads / Pro-EGS threads, happily painting all PC gamers with the broad brush of "loyalty" to Valve - when most have no such tendency in support of the open ecosystem

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017

Im confused here people haven't brought any good reasons why Epic has *improved* PC Gaming, people just come in and say they got free games yet again how does that improve anything.

Oct 31, 2017
Im confused here people haven't brought any good reasons why Epic has *improved* PC Gaming, people just come in and say they got free games yet again how does that improve anything.
And while their offer was abundant, it's not like Epic invented free games, either.
Basically every major store (Steam, GoG, Uplay, Origin) have been giving away free games every now and then for the last two years AT LEAST.
I remember at some point it got so ridiculous I commented with a friend something like "Jesus Christ, do people who are starting on PC now even need to buy games anymore?"

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I don't see how them giving away free games does much other than devalue those games. Why would I ever buy anything on EGS if I'm just going to get it for free down the road? And if I don't get it for free I wait for the exclusivity window to be up & by them on a steam sale. I don't really see any tangible benefits for PC gamers as a whole outside of some free games. Which hey, free games are great, but nothing exciting enough to get me to boot up the launcher to play anything yet.

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fairly new to PC gaming and honestly, the free games I've gotten from Epic have been pretty rad, especially the Arkham games. So there has been some positive.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Literally the only thing Epic has done for PC is moneyhat exclusives, the one thing Valve has not done. Every other development with their store has been work in progress. Who the fuck writes this shit.
And locking down exclusives is monopolistic by nature, not competitive. Several ofthese exclusives even use VR apis developed by Valve.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
I don't see how them giving away free games does much other than devalue those games. Why would I ever buy anything on EGS if I'm just going to get it for free down the road? And if I don't get it for free I wait for the exclusivity window to be up & by them on a steam sale. I don't really see any tangible benefits for PC gamers as a whole outside of some free games. Which hey, free games are great, but nothing exciting enough to get me to boot up the launcher to play anything yet.

I launch EGS whenever I remember to claim whatever game they have. One I usually already own on Steam, probably through Humble Bundle or something. Then I close it and forget about it again.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
I realize it's an opinion article, but geez, there are a lot of 'I think' followed by literal guesswork/speculation on the author's part.

"Epic Games is creating a Steam rival and Valve should be scared."

Lol.

I'd instead write "Epic Games is creating a Steam rival and Valve should be grateful."

Uh.....suuuuuuuure.

Now that we've reached the one-year mark, I'm not sure whether these giveaways will continue.

A good question - why not ask Epic directly?

Did it work? Probably. It's hard to know without concrete sales figures, and the only numbers we have are almost a year old. At GDC, Epic said more than 85 million accounts were using the Epic Games Store already—and that 40 percent of them didn't have a corresponding Steam account. Pretty impressive.

So....you have no idea, then - especially since Epic hasn't bragged from the high heavens on any sales #'s at all, save for World War Z - and both Metro and Borderlands 3 have some big shady asterisks behind their touted sales numbers. Also, that 'Epic account' is comprised of.....let's say 70% (if not way more) free Fortnite accounts.

Circular reasoning perhaps, but with some deals reputedly topping $10 million, it's hard to imagine Epic would throw that kind of money around without seeing some return on investment. Developers continue to opt in as well, even knowing it's bound to attract negative attention. That too is a decent endorsement.

This is where the article falls apart. Epic wants market share, and thus, is willing to throw dollars at the problem until it goes away. Devs are, like as not, gonna take a guaranteed payout and keep the light on/food on the table over angry Steam fans, with some few exceptions.

Neither of those statements indicates any sort of certainty in Epic seeing a 'return' on its investment.

There are a ton of caveats to those numbers, including the fact that Red Dead's PC version is pretty janky and that it launched on the Rockstar launcher in addition to Epic's storefront last month.

And that you can get it for....roughly half-off (at one point) through the RGL rather than Epic (or Steam), and that the Steam sale just ended, and another one will be coming in ~2 weeks.

In 2019, Valve finally needed EA as much as EA needed Valve—and Epic's improved revenue split gave EA some leverage.

Uh....wat. Lmao, this is certainly a take.

Hell, the entire premise is predicated (seemingly, at least) on two main factors: That Epic's free 56 games are a huge win for the consumer (they're a pretty good bargain, no doubt, but there's not a lot of 'new' items in there), and that Epic has somehow 'forced' Valve's hand insofar as having Valve 'needing' to respond more quickly than they otherwise might have.

The former has some merit, but the latter is somewhat ludicrous.

And aside from those 'free' games, what has Epic offered the consumer? The only thing I can think of off-hand is higher prices, a walled garden, and lack of choice.

Not what I'd call a 'win' for consumers, at the end of the day.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If a meme is born where people thank Epic for solving world issues and improving situations not related to gaming, I will be very happy.

I did enjoy my free games, and since Control is the only game I actually use EGS for, I haven't had many complaints (store with no search functionality being the biggest annoyance.)

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It probably has been a major reason in Valve being more communicative as of late. It may have also encouraged Valve to pursue EA, MS, and Bethesda.
It has brought some short-term stability for some indie devs, but has done absolutely nothing for everyone else.
(I think) Epic supports regional pricing in some regions that Steam doesn't, and as a result has brought benefit to some users.
Other than these three, this fight has not really benefited anyone or anything other than people taking free games and major pubs like Ubisoft with huge moneyhats.
The only reason valve is more communicative of late is because valve actually had stuff to announce, things that have been in the pipeline already for years before.
They still are same old valve, who goes into dark until they actually have stuff to ship and epics impact in this is like a drop on a hotplate.

For me, and I speak just for me, EGS has been a hot mess. The amount of payment issues with that platform made me give up on getting control on launch day and skipped on a few exclusive indies. I never, ever had an issue with steam in this regard.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
Now if we could get epic to make a VR platform, I'm all for that. Steam VR, as cool as it is - needs to be redone - it's still buggy 3 years in. How many times it fails to launch games or freezes up cause it can't close a game is just not ok. Only recently did they make it so scrolling actually worked acceptably with my rift.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Epic better save some of this innovation for their own store instead of giving it all to Valve.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
LMFAO. WHAT benefits? My god. Delusional writers. When you.consider stealing exclusivity so so the game doesnt appear on steam (but it does o other launchers) competition, then you should not be a journalist.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Again Microsoft alone has done more for PC gaming and gaming in general than the Epic Store, lets not quickly forget how they created a universal controller for people with disabilities.

RE1ZcPJ

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
In what way was Valve "forced" to reveal HL Alyx?

I can't be the only one remembering when we heard Valve is going into the VR market and HL being made for VR years ago, right?
Right? I mean to me, it was kind of obvious when they said they wanted more technology to tell immersive stories in half life. 90 percent of ppl seemed to ignore it. I find it baffling as well. But hey, there you are, so it wasnt just me that read it too.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

What blind loyalty? I most everyone will recognize they've got issues. But that doesn't somehow not make Steam one of the most valuable gaming services on PC.

Unfortunately most coverage of Steam has been steeped in this store wars drama and fellating EGS instead of actual continuing issues like moderation, gambling/money laundering, that French lawsuit involving game trading, etc.

Last edited:

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
The only reason valve is more communicative of late is because valve actually had stuff to announce, things that have been in the pipeline already for years before.
They still are same old valve, who goes into dark until they actually have stuff to ship and epics impact in this is like a drop on a hotplate.

For me, and I speak just for me, EGS has been a hot mess. The amount of payment issues with that platform made me give up on getting control on launch day and skipped on a few exclusive indies. I never, ever had an issue with steam in this regard.
I would say that the only thing that I could thank Epic for (or maybe the media love for Epic and the pretty biased descriptions) is Valve being more open about what they are doing and talking more (but they have also started changing internally last year when they stopped recommending not to have Twitter / social media profiles).

i like how people are like "Its just all a coincidence!" Sure Jan.
The level of updates on Steam this year have been on par with last years. Most of them were also linear upgrades from things introduced last year!
MS coming back and trying to win back some PC-rep by coming to Steam has nothing to do with EGS.
EA coming back because they want to have EA Access everywhere possible has nothing to do with EGS.