• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree and think it depends more on the game itself. If your character was tapping at the panels but your arm weren't being tracked, then that'd be an issue... which is why I feel REVII isn't a great nomination for being amongst the best uses of VR with all the various ways it doesn't match up with your actual actions. In the case of something like Elite Dangerous with a HOTAS or Dirt Rally/Project Cars with a force-feedback wheel, I consider these to be better choices for VR immersion due to the tactile feedback provided being what you would expect, and the motions of your hands being something you'd focus on less that what's beyond them. Tracking my hands with an Oculus Touch whilst they float around in the air with no resistance of anything to rest them on the the expected locations is far more of an immersion breaker. Something like the Knuckles controllers combined with the other required standard inputs would be even better (or stuff like the hand trackers used in the Mario Kart VR experience)... but when it's either or - as it basically always would be in a home environment - hand tracking would be the poorer choice.
I'm hoping we can do both one day. Allow for virtual sticks (or wheel or whatever) if you just have hand tracking ala Vox Machinae, and then also have a mode that allows you to use a HOTAS or wheel in conjunction. Would probably need gloves for that.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Really in the mood for PilotWings-like experience. Playing more Ultrawings.

Boy, Ultrawings is the ONLY VR game that makes me slightly sick and it does so every time. I have the medium comfort option, and the big one was I switched from sim to arcade controls. Still feel it.

But it's so good. Got to the part where you have a dart gun and you shoot balloons as you fly. That's so great. I could play a whole game based around that and it'd be worth the stomach result.

NinjaHound

Nov 5, 2017
I haven't had my rift setup for about 6 months. Will be putting it back together to play assetto corsa, anything else worth checking out that I may have missed?

Lakuza

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't had my rift setup for about 6 months. Will be putting it back together to play assetto corsa, anything else worth checking out that I may have missed?

from other suns, fallout 4, LA Noire were in my opinion the big releases in the past 6 months. I still need to get the last 2.
I've also been playing VR Chat since the end of December, also creating my own world for it too so thats made it hard for me to keep up with vr releases this year x_x

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have got
  • Cloudborn
  • Throw Anything
  • LA Noire VR
  • Fallout 4
  • Knockout League
  • Sprint Vector
  • Sairento VR
  • In Death
  • VR Regatta
  • Highway Madness (Free)
  • SURV1V3
  • Subnautica
  • The Perfect Sniper
  • Primordian
  • Battlesky
  • Shooty Fruity
  • Stunt Corgi VR
in recent months

Last edited:

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't try it yet.

The only titles I have played from that list at the moment are Battlesky, VR Regatta, Fallout 4, Sairento and LA Noire VR
Currently I am playing The Wizards VR

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New escape room game announced: The Tale of the Tiny Fisherman VR
http://www.innerspacevr.com/#the-tale-of-the-tiny-fisherman

THE TALE OF THE TINY FISHERMAN is a mind-bending escape game for VR.

You play as Bob, a tiny fisherman puppet. You live alone in your tiny cabin, isolated from the world outside after a ship wreck took your ship and your crew. One night though, you dream of the ocean. How long has it been since you last saw it ?

But as you try to leave your cabin, with the help of some uncanny sidekicks, you realize what lies outside is not at all what you expected...

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
I haven't try it yet.

The only titles I have played from that list at the moment are Battlesky, VR Regatta, Fallout 4, Sairento and LA Noire VR
Currently I am playing The Wizards VR

Understandable, you have your hands literally full of games now. Would be cool if you could share some impressions once you played it though.

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
The Vive Desktop screen has issues with losing mouse input and such and the Steam virtual keyboard can't seem to be able to press the enter key. I can't type in Discord through it (and there isn't a send message button like on mobile). I like using OVRdrop to put a window on my hand for discord but unfortunately I can send any messages other than emoji. It would be cool if you could send keyboard inputs via a sidepanel on a OVRdrop window. At least my desktop woes are mostly solved by the Virtual Desktop steam VR overlay.

Does Core 2.0 on the Rift allow you to "pin" windows in your playspace or do they only exist in your home menu?

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Newly in the market for a Rift here in the UK. Seems like the best option with the included sensors, controllers, headphones and bundled games for a price that isn't crazy. Just trying to find one for under £399, looking back a few months there's been a few deals for less so it seems silly to pay more right now. Anyone know of any deals or suspect any coming up?

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Newly in the market for a Rift here in the UK. Seems like the best option with the included sensors, controllers, headphones and bundled games for a price that isn't crazy. Just trying to find one for under £399, looking back a few months there's been a few deals for less so it seems silly to pay more right now. Anyone know of any deals or suspect any coming up?

The 2 year anniversary is coming up. You'd expect some discounts there

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it is! 2 weeks away? The wait is painful, knowing I could grab it right now. I just don't want to buy one then see a discount a couple of weeks later.

i'd forget about it and avoid this thread for 2 weeks, come back and its either discounted or hasn't been.

They'll definitely do a sale of sort (if not hardware than software) so you'd be saving at some point

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Understandable, you have your hands literally full of games now. Would be cool if you could share some impressions once you played it though.

Alright i just tried it. Its a quick pick up and play game. There are many short missions, and you are often given instruction or description on who, when or what to shoot.

There are some missions where you have to shoot from the back of the van , but sometimes i find myself under the van which I guess was due to the game not reading properly whether i was sitting or standing, but it fix itself when i failed the mission and i retry it

And you really need good eyesight for this. There's this particular level where I have to put on glasses to spot my target.

Shari

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone comment on Sairento's online coop? Does it work good (steam integration?) ?

I'm thinking about picking it up to play with a friend.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Alright i just tried it. Its a quick pick up and play game. There are many short missions, and you are often given instruction or description on who, when or what to shoot.

There are some missions where you have to shoot from the back of the van , but sometimes i find myself under the van which I guess was due to the game not reading properly whether i was sitting or standing, but it fix itself when i failed the mission and i retry it

And you really need good eyesight for this. There's this particular level where I have to put on glasses to spot my target.

Thanks for the impressions!

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just played GORN VR for the first time and I thought I'll be careful, but I still ended up hitting my controllers at the furniture LOL

Lucky Forward

Oct 27, 2017
I've been having a weird issue with SteamVR the last few days. Whenever I'm browsing in Firefox and I follow a link to a story on CNN.com (usually from PoliERA), SteamVR starts up and I get the little black box in the bottom left of my screen that says "Ready (unresponsive)firefox.exe)". It seems to be triggered by the video that autoplays on CNN because my Vive headset lights up the green light and the the CNN audio starts playing over the headphones. When I go to quit SteamVR I get the message "Shutting down SteamVR will also shut down firefox.exe. Do you wish to continue? OK/Cancel" but when I quit it doesn't affect firefox and the pages I have open.

Anyone else have this issue or know of a solution? It's not a big problem, just an annoyance.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I just played The Wizards. It's very mediocre. I hate the gesture controls (flip your wrist to make a fireball), tossing the fireball never goes where I want it to (I tried to throw a fireball at a barrel sitting directly in front of me, and the fireball hit the ground at my feet four times before it hit the barrel), hitting enemies has barely any oomph (a single hit animation not matter where you hit them). I gave up after 30 mins. It's basically Mage's Tale but every mechanic they ape is worse. And Mage's Tale is pretty mediocre itself, just a bit better than this.

The environments looked decent, though.

I have no idea why this is getting 5/5 reviews. VR websites really need to be more critical of product.

TheMadMan007

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's such a bummer people tease VR games so early in development. I couldn't care less about something that'll come out years or even months later. By the time it's out, I've lost complete interest in it, or have had so many other games announced that I forget about it completely. I've been traveling a lot the last couple months so I haven't even had time to do any VR, but my new laptop can run the rift fairly well. Anyone have any good games to suggest that came out in the last two months?

Iorv3th

Oct 27, 2017
I've been having a weird issue with SteamVR the last few days. Whenever I'm browsing in Firefox and I follow a link to a story on CNN.com (usually from PoliERA), SteamVR starts up and I get the little black box in the bottom left of my screen that says "Ready (unresponsive)firefox.exe)". It seems to be triggered by the video that autoplays on CNN because my Vive headset lights up the green light and the the CNN audio starts playing over the headphones. When I go to quit SteamVR I get the message "Shutting down SteamVR will also shut down firefox.exe. Do you wish to continue? OK/Cancel" but when I quit it doesn't affect firefox and the pages I have open.

Anyone else have this issue or know of a solution? It's not a big problem, just an annoyance.

Firefox has a VR mode. Is something on the website triggering it?

I'm not sure because on Rift I think you have to launch it from within the rift interface or click on a vr button on the webpage.

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017
Yo Arthands, thanks for the regular new VR release posts - I wouldn't find out about half this stuff otherwise!

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Did Oculus make the same screw up again? I tried to use my Rift a few minutes ago and got the same message.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to check out Throw Anything. Neat game. You throw items down at zombies scaling various buildings or use items against them. But there's actually a fair amount of gameplay. There's your skill with throwing, but also tactics you learn on what items to use when. There's various opportunities like a copy machine that duplicates items. It's just fun to attack the zombies.

It's really satisfying to use a heavy item on a long column of zombies that has built up, knocking many down.

They definitely were a bit inspired by Job Simulator in many aspects throughout, although without the audio humor - seems to be a Japanese developer. [edit - scratch that, despite some Japanese text somewhere, 1/3rd the dev's Twitter follows are Korean]

After 45 minutes I've only finished one level and could see myself going back to the first level, because there's a lot of great items to check out (in a similar way to Job Simulator).

Last edited:

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
I'm hesitating on what to spend my $15 Oculus credit on. There's a pack with The Climb and Job Simulator that would end up costing me around $15 total, but I'm also thinking of finally picking up Lone Echo. There are probably some other games I haven't considered yet either (I only own UltraWings, I Expect You To Die and Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes so far, as I haven't had much spending money available since getting my Rift).

The two things I'm mainly interested in are a meaty, story-driven experience and games that do the sense of presence in VR really well (I love the Oculus First Contact demo for that).

Any advice for me? :)

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
SteamVR Beta now supports Adaptive resolution (like the one used in The Lab) natively! No more having to fiddle with supersampling settings per game (if you really don't want to that is).
Works for all SteamVR compatible HMDs.

This seems pretty big:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/1661138371528106606
Holy shit these comments lol

eHWUB53.png

Peeps need to get themselves some glasses

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
I'm also thinking of finally picking up Lone Echo.

The two things I'm mainly interested in are a meaty, story-driven experience and games that do the sense of presence in VR really well (I love the Oculus First Contact demo for that).

Any advice for me? :)
You answered your own question :)

It is a bit slow maybe, but still my favourite VR experience by a long shot.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
SteamVR Beta now supports Adaptive resolution (like the one used in The Lab) natively! No more having to fiddle with supersampling settings per game (if you really don't want to that is).

This seems pretty big:

Didn't know that was possible without hardcoding that into the engine of the game, I opted out of the beta branch a few months back because of some performance problems in some games that went away using the regular Steam VR version... it's time to go back in and check it out.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I tried the Oculus playing X-Plane with a manche and pedals, and that was unbelieveable. Flying over the cities that I was raised was amazing. Now I need a PSVR for my PS4. Also tried a few other games but just felt like tech demos.

vermadas

Oct 25, 2017

This seems pretty big:

This is pretty awesome. Might explain why Valve has not implemented positional reprojection like Oculus ASW; with adaptive resolution it accomplishes the same goal of keeping a smooth 90 FPS when performance dips happen.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
This is pretty awesome. Might explain why Valve has not implemented positional reprojection like Oculus ASW; with adaptive resolution it accomplishes the same goal of keeping a smooth 90 FPS when performance dips happen.

I'm going to have to try it tonight, but the Reddit thread seems pretty determined it's simply checking your hardware at SteamVR launch, making a generic observation of what SS level you're capable of running based on system hardware, and applying that. Which is great for tech illiterate people who had a 1080ti and were running at the default SS level. But kind of useless for everyone else. You don't want the same SS level being applied to A-10 VR and to Fallout 4 (which is what this seems to be doing).

vermadas

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to have to try it tonight, but the Reddit thread seems pretty determined it's simply checking your hardware at SteamVR launch, making a generic observation of what SS level you're capable of running based on system hardware, and applying that. Which is great for tech illiterate people who had a 1080ti and were running at the default SS level. But kind of useless for everyone else. You don't want the same SS level being applied to A-10 VR and to Fallout 4 (which is what this seems to be doing).
Hmm... re-reading the announcement, you might be right. That's disappointing.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, just based on the actual announcement, they didn't actually say that the resolution is adjusted dynamically per game.