• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Picking up old VR games sure is showing me how VR options were a bit all over the place.

Skyrim - Seems to have everything, great to play sat down.
Fallout - No height option, vignette when moving is either on or off (unlike skyrim, only shows up when sprinting/jumping/falling), kind of forces you to play stood up.
Doom VFR - No snap turning (smooth turning is there but that starts my stomach churning), teleport forces you to make awkward click on left stick then press up for teleport.

Annoying thing is most of these feel like small tweaks that could "easily" be put in, but alas.

Skyrim and Fallout are pretty average VR experiences, honestly. Bethesda did almost nothing to adapt them for VR, especially the menus which are a real pain to navigate on the Vive wands.

Doom VFR feels like it's on the cusp of greatness. When it works,, it feels SO exhilarating. But a handful of bugs and control issues really hamper the experience, as does the inability to play the Doom 2016 campaign in it.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Skyrim and Fallout are pretty average VR experiences, honestly. Bethesda did almost nothing to adapt them for VR, especially the menus which are a real pain to navigate on the Vive wands.

Doom VFR feels like it's on the cusp of greatness. When it works,, it feels SO exhilarating. But a handful of bugs and control issues really hamper the experience, as does the inability to play the Doom 2016 campaign in it.

You might like the Brutal Doom VR mod if you haven't checked it out already. Some of the most fun I've had in VR. Link if you're interested:

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
The controls are a bit weird on the Vive wands. :\

Buuut it's a lot of fun.

I can imagine, I never really jived with the Vive wands' trackpads for smooth locomotion, been using Touch since the Quest released and haven't looked back especially since the Link beta began. Thumbsticks are the way to go imo.

Good to hear you're still enjoying it though 😊

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can imagine, I never really jived with the Vive wands' trackpads for smooth locomotion, been using Touch since the Quest released and haven't looked back especially since the Link beta began. Thumbsticks are the way to go imo.

Good to hear you're still enjoying it though 😊

I like my Vive, but the wands are definitely the weak point of it. Some games (such as the aforementioned Bethesda games) try to control the menus through the touchpads, and it just doesn't work because they're so poorly set up. Fallout 4 VR is a nightmare if you leave it on the default configuration - Pulling up the pipboy requires you to physically pull your arm up, then navigate the menus with a really weird touchpad config.

I wanna upgrade to the Index controllers eventually, but money's tight. :\

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I like my Vive, but the wands are definitely the weak point of it. Some games (such as the aforementioned Bethesda games) try to control the menus through the touchpads, and it just doesn't work because they're so poorly set up. Fallout 4 VR is a nightmare if you leave it on the default configuration - Pulling up the pipboy requires you to physically pull your arm up, then navigate the menus with a really weird touchpad config.

I wanna upgrade to the Index controllers eventually, but money's tight. :\

Yeah I wish I could just mix and match Index controllers with my Quest as I don't feel the asking price of the headset is in line with my budget and I don't really want to go back to using the Vive after getting used to the Quest's screen. I hope Oculus considers releasing an Index style controller sometime between now and before their next gen of headsets. I feel like I'm definitely gonna be missing out on part of the Half-Life: Alyx experience without the Index finger tracking.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Was using my CV1 rift as recently as last week without issues. Hooked it back up last night to play The Walking Dead Saints and Sinners and noticed that the HMD screen was black despite oculus and steam vr giving positive confirmations on all sensor and device connections(light on the unit itself was white). Uninstalled and reinstalled oculus drivers, used the oculus setup repair function without success, reverted my video card drivers and so on. Audio comes through the rift headphones and moving the unit around shows it's still being registered in games when looking at the monitor.

Internet search seems to suggest that the issue is a faulty rift hdmi cable so I submitted a ticket to oculus but not sure if they will replace it or not.

Any weird trick I missed that someone else used to fix this? Super upsetting so close to the big game

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Was using my CV1 rift as recently as last week without issues. Hooked it back up last night to play The Walking Dead Saints and Sinners and noticed that the HMD screen was black despite oculus and steam vr giving positive confirmations on all sensor and device connections(light on the unit itself was white). Uninstalled and reinstalled oculus drivers, used the oculus setup repair function without success, reverted my video card drivers and so on. Audio comes through the rift headphones and moving the unit around shows it's still being registered in games when looking at the monitor.

Internet search seems to suggest that the issue is a faulty rift hdmi cable so I submitted a ticket to oculus but not sure if they will replace it or not.

Any weird trick I missed that someone else used to fix this? Super upsetting so close to the big game
My graphics card always does this, I have to unplug and reconnect the HDMI cable to make it work.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
So, has anyone done anything interesting with the Index "frunk" yet or is it still just a giant hole in the headset?

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
So, has anyone done anything interesting with the Index "frunk" yet or is it still just a giant hole in the headset?
Other than fans and LEDs not really. The most useful use I've seen out of it is as a place you can plug your controller in to and keep playing if it runs out of battery. I'm all for Valve giving DIY people an avenue for extra customization but I wish they'd lead a little more with their own examples for stuff like that. Honestly, I find it hard to believe there are going to be a lot of good ideas outside of any they thought up in house over the years. And if the idea is that it will be a slot for a future wireless attachment, it kind of sucks it's integrated in a way that's going to make that inevitably look janky as opposed to the way it was in the Vive.

datamage

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if I am restating the obvious, but are you asking what super sample level to use with an index in SteamVR? I dont use an overall SS rate personally in SteamVR, I set it to 100% in the general setting, then in the per game setting I play the game see how much extra bandwith I have then set the frame rate for that game (you will have to remember on this one since there isnt a per game setting yet but I bet its coming). Then after I decide which frame rate I am using I set the individual game setting to the super sample setting I want to keep that frame rate. For example , Beat Saber I run 144HZ and like 120% SS, Walking Dead I run 90HZ and 150% SS, and Skyrim I run 144HZ with Motion Smoothing locked to on (effective 72hz) and 150% SS. My general preference is 144HZ or 120HZ then SS because the at 100% the resolution on the index is still really good.
Dumb question, but the SS setting doesn't take effect until the game is restarted, correct? For something like Skyrim, do you find the forced SS through the Index settings better than the in game SS? Thanks!

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Hey guys. New headset owner here. Are there any good VR Sniper games? Either like a Sniper Elite type thing or Silent Scope?

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Hey guys. New headset owner here. Are there any good VR Sniper games? Either like a Sniper Elite type thing or Silent Scope?
If all else fails just go for H3VR. That's Hotdogs, Horseshoes & Handgrenades. Sniping in VR does suffer from the limited resolution of headsets though, you need a scope to tell what's what at much closer distances than IRL.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
If all else fails just go for H3VR. That's Hotdogs, Horseshoes & Handgrenades. Sniping in VR does suffer from the limited resolution of headsets though, you need a scope to tell what's what at much closer distances than IRL.
Off hand, I can't think of anything that isn't bare bones, but there literally is a Sniper Elite VR coming out soon.

Thanks guys. I had no idea there was a literal Sniper Elite VR coming lol. Sick. I definitely need to check out H3.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
H3 is definitely the go-to game for ALL THE GUNS. The tutorial-ish map (named something like Sample Platter) can help if you aren't familiar with operating some of the weapons.

Patrick Klepek said on today's Vice podcast that he played some game in VR (embargoed so he didn't say what game) that made him cry but he couldn't wipe the tears away because of the headset...

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
Dumb question, but the SS setting doesn't take effect until the game is restarted, correct? For something like Skyrim, do you find the forced SS through the Index settings better than the in game SS? Thanks!
I think most games it adjusts on the fly from what I have seen, I can watch the performance change on FPSVR in real time. From what I remember reading the steam setting is better than in game on Skyrim. I personally use Steam for most everything so i dont have to keep track of what game have an internal slider and which ones dont.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Got to say though these Oculus announcements have been a bit naff, so far it's being showing a UI change for the quest and a new music pack for beat saber. Oh well two more days to go, here's hoping we get dates for stuff like Echo Arena on quest, MOH and Phantom Covert Ops.

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Large parts of a talk with Jeri Ellsworth formerly of Valve was posted to the Valve News Network channel that goes into some of the details about why and how hardware development started at Valve. She was actually part of an AR team, but there is a good deal of talk about VR. It's all stuff that's been public before, but laid out nicely for those who've never heard about it. It's really impressive how crappy of a person Abrash was and emphasizes one of the reasons some people today still don't trust Oculus and Facebook. Besides the corporate drama it also has interesting contrasts between what VR and AR is about and what the goals of these two teams were.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
OK, I've been trying to make sure everything is set up properly for next week, but I keep running into a weird warping issue with my Index. The entire game world seems to distort a little and warp as I rotate my head horizontally, regardless of fit. Tweaking IPD and turning off motion smoothing seem to have helped, but it doesn't eliminate it. I'm guessing it might also have to do with base station visibility since I'm using the 1.0 stations, but I don't know an easy way of visualizing what the base stations see. There used to be a "room overview" mode, but it seems to be gone. Any ideas?

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Large parts of a talk with Jeri Ellsworth formerly of Valve was posted to the Valve News Network channel that goes into some of the details about why and how hardware development started at Valve. She was actually part of an AR team, but there is a good deal of talk about VR. It's all stuff that's been public before, but laid out nicely for those who've never heard about it. It's really impressive how crappy of a person Abrash was and emphasizes one of the reasons some people today still don't trust Oculus and Facebook. Besides the corporate drama it also has interesting contrasts between what VR and AR is about and what the goals of these two teams were.

I've heard a lot of the big points of her time and exit there but not a lot of these details. Very interesting. Kind of thread worthy IMO. Thanks for posting.

Some interesting notes for those who can't watch:
  • The hardware team(s) formed as an initiative from and reaction to Gabe being worried about Microsoft locking them out of Windows. He figured if they were going to start this up, they might as well go big and work towards the entire family having a great time on Steam in the living room. This lead to research in AR and VR (and I would assume Steam Machines etc).
  • They basically had an unlimited budget.
  • They had AR prototypes where you could spectate DOTA and where people could be the AI director in L4D dropping enemies and health packs down while someone played on the TV.
  • Things were great for a few years during the research phase but broke down when teams split off to try to productize things. Huge divide between research people and everyone else with the Makers and prototype people "stuck in between".
  • Valve had waveguides long before Magic Leap or Hololens and they had figured out how to make an AR set for a few hundreds of dollars (essentially what became TiltFive).
  • Jeri felt with the right marketing and distribution the AR tech they were working on could net them $200 million in the first year, but the first response was that that's 0 billions of dollars. The attitude from the money side was that it had to be worth around that or be able to make Steam more "defense-able" in some way.
  • As mentioned, Abrash and the VR team kept trying to "squash" the AR team and Jeri believes he was a big part of pushing them out (just months before they jumped ship to Oculus ironically).
  • Her and others warned about sharing their tech so openly with Oculus but everyone assumed they'd HAVE to support Steam because where else would the games be?
  • Jeri usually gave demos for people coming through for all the hardware stuff (AR, VR, Steam controllers, etc) and she was the biggest proponent of 6-dof wands for AR/VR. When demoing to John Carmack, he expressed that nobody wanted 6-dof controllers and everyone would be playing AR/VR on the couch with Xbox controllers. Because Abrash was buddies with Carmack there was a huge friction internally about anything having to do with wands at that point (my note: probably why Oculus Rift launched without motion controllers).
  • Was very confused about being laid off since months prior at the Hawaii trip Gabe had literally stood her up in front of everyone and expressed that she was one of the most important hires they had.
  • During the meeting with Gabe where she was told she was being let go she suggested to Gabe that he let her have the AR tech she'd been working on and Gabe said "ok". If I understand correctly it only cost her $100.
  • She appreciated Gabe's bluntness while working with him since she always knew where he stood. They're on good terms and he's come over to try TiltFive AR and he gave his endorsement.

Last edited:

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
I've heard a lot of the big points of her time and exit there but not a lot of these details. Very interesting. Kind of thread worthy IMO. Thanks for posting.

• The hardware team(s) formed as an initiative from and reaction to Gabe being worried about Microsoft locking them out of Windows. He figured if they were going to start this up, they might as well go big and work towards the entire family having a great time on Steam in the living room. This lead to research in AR and VR (and I would assume Steam Machines etc).
  • They had AR prototypes where you could spectate DOTA and where people could be the AI director in L4D dropping enemies and health packs down while someone played on the TV.
  • Things were great for a few years during the research phase but broke down when teams split off to try to productize things. Huge divide between research people and everyone else with the Makers and prototype people "stuck in between".
  • Valve had waveguides long before Magic Leap or Hololens and they had figured out how to make an AR set for a few hundreds of dollars.
  • Jeri felt with the right marketing and distribution the AR tech they were working on could net them $200 million in the first year, but the first response was that that's 0 billions of dollars. The attitude from the money side was that it had to be worth around that or be able to make steam more defense-able in some way.
  • As mentioned Abrash and the VR team kept trying to "squash" the AR team and Jeri believes he was a big part of pushing them out (just months before they jumped ship to Oculus).
  • Her and others warned about sharing their tech so openly with Oculus but everyone assumed they'd HAVE to support Steam because where else would the games be?
  • Jeri usually gave demos for people coming through for all the hardware stuff (AR, VR, Steam controllers, etc) and she was the biggest proponent of 6-dof wands for AR/VR. When demoing to John Carmack, he expressed that nobody wanted 6-dof controllers and everyone would be playing AR/VR on the couch with Xbox controllers. Because Abrash was buddies with Carmack there was a huge friction internally about anything having to do with wands at that point (my note: probably why Oculus Rift launched without motion controllers).
  • Was very confused about being laid off since months prior at the Hawaii trip Gabe had literally stood her up in front of everyone and expressed that she was one of the most important hires they had.
  • During the meeting with Gabe where she was told she was being let go she suggested to Gabe that he let her have the AR tech she'd been working on and Gabe said "ok". If I understand correctly it only cost her $100.
  • She appreciated Gabe's bluntness while working with him since she always knew where he stood. They're on good terms and he's come over to try TiltFive AR and he gave his endorsement.

Thank you for this summary. In hindsight, it's kind of amazing how many mistakes were made to get to where we are now.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
OK, I've been trying to make sure everything is set up properly for next week, but I keep running into a weird warping issue with my Index. The entire game world seems to distort a little and warp as I rotate my head horizontally, regardless of fit. Tweaking IPD and turning off motion smoothing seem to have helped, but it doesn't eliminate it. I'm guessing it might also have to do with base station visibility since I'm using the 1.0 stations, but I don't know an easy way of visualizing what the base stations see. There used to be a "room overview" mode, but it seems to be gone. Any ideas?
Maybe the distance between the lenses and your eyes is the problem? Certainly sounds like your FOV isn't quite right and I guess having it too far or too close could be a problem?

• Valve had waveguides long before Magic Leap or Hololens and they had figured out how to make an AR set for a few hundreds of dollars (essentially what became TiltFive).
  • Jeri felt with the right marketing and distribution the AR tech they were working on could net them $200 million in the first year, but the first response was that that's 0 billions of dollars. The attitude from the money side was that it had to be worth around that or be able to make Steam more "defense-able" in some way.
  • As mentioned, Abrash and the VR team kept trying to "squash" the AR team and Jeri believes he was a big part of pushing them out (just months before they jumped ship to Oculus ironically).

Sounds like this is Valve's informal hierarchy at work again with decisions being made by who's friendly with whom.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
That's disappointing to hear about Abrash and Carmack re: Ellsworth. She deserves a lot more credit for ushering in this era of VR for her being so gung-ho about 6dof controllers. Makes me give side eye to Gabe for giving in to Abrash for pushing her out but I don't think we'll ever have all the details regarding that. Maybe time to tap the author of that Oculus+Facebook tell all book to do one on Valve's VR history. Something tells me Valve wouldn't give him the same level of access Facebook did though wrt internal e-mails :P

As for Oculus news this week I hope we get a date for Lone Echo II but not holding my breath.

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017

Alo81

Oct 27, 2017
Just made a thread for the new HL1VR mod update, its a HUGE improvement.

The mod originally released at the end of last year and was pretty janky. Now, with the latest update, it runs incredibly smooth and is much, much less finicky.

I just played it until my controllers died. Really awesome way to experience the game for the first time, highly recommended.

Hot tip if you play: Controllers all come by default unmapped. Use SteamVR's built in controller binding to load up one of the existing ones others have made.

Link to website to download.
Reddit post for new release.
GitHub link to source.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Maybe the distance between the lenses and your eyes is the problem? Certainly sounds like your FOV isn't quite right and I guess having it too far or too close could be a problem?
The relief knob does also kinda help, but in order to get rid of the issue it needs to be so close that the lens edge is touching my eyes, which isn't great. I'm also having some tracking issues, which makes the removal of the room overview tool even more annoying.

Even more annoyingly, I'm also running into the same thing I had with my Vive where there's some kind of subtle difference in brightness between the two eyes. It's a lot more subtle this time around, but I definitely noticed it during the start screen of Alyx: the rubble was fine in one eye, but i couldn't resolve details in the other.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I remember downloading demos from the Oculus dowload portal for my DK1. I remember loading up the hillside villa and my mind being blown. Oh how far we've come.
Oculus-Tuscany-Demo.jpg

It's really crazy to think about going from that to Half Life: Alyx. I love VR.

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
Hey all - I'll be loading up Alyx for the first time. Super excited as I know it's been well-received but I'm going in blind. I've somehow avoided a lot of the info out there so I'm posting here instead of the OT for obvious reasons.

One Question - are there more weapons than the pistol and shotgun?

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
How is The Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners? Looking to play something now that I've finished Alyx and am looking at it. Does the game have a teleporting option?

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody else is having Texture resolution issues in HL Alyx?

The game defaulted to the second highest performance setting but it still happens even if I put the textures to ultra... Basically the resolution of the textures will go up and down all the time... Sometimes they will look great and high-res and other times they look like a big blurry mess... A bit like when the old Unreal Engine 3 games would load the level before loading the textures...

I am playing on a Quest with Link Cable on a GTX 1080 with the latest drivers.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
How is The Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners? Looking to play something now that I've finished Alyx and am looking at it. Does the game have a teleporting option?
It's very good but I don't think it does anything but smooth movement? I usually don't try or look for other options so I'm not sure on that.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Anybody else is having Texture resolution issues in HL Alyx?

The game defaulted to the second highest performance setting but it still happens even if I put the textures to ultra... Basically the resolution of the textures will go up and down all the time... Sometimes they will look great and high-res and other times they look like a big blurry mess... A bit like when the old Unreal Engine 3 games would load the level before loading the textures...

I am playing on a Quest with Link Cable on a GTX 1080 with the latest drivers.
lower the textures, the blury textures aren't the lower resolution textures, those are probably placeholders for it to stream in your ultra textures and your PC might not really be up to it.
My PC (i7-6700k and GTX1080) defaulted to low preset, and the game still looks gorgeous, and no texture streaming issues.