• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
I agree. Although I try to picture what the game would be like without a physical body and ... I think it would be fine? I mean the whole physics sandbox was what the devs were going for, and if that's the artistic direction they want then who am I to judge? But I think the game would be far more enjoyable if only your hands had physics.

I feel like I mention H3VR like every other post I make in this thread, so I'm sorry if I sound like I'm shilling for that game (I only kind of am - it's awesome!) but I like how that game implements physics. Basically if you're holding an item or weapon, it has full physics and will interact with the environment, but say, the billy club in your waist band wont get stuck on walls until you grab it and hold it - hope that makes sense. It would really tighten up the way Boneworks plays.

I also l can't stop thinking of Boneworks as "Weeble-wobble Simulator: 2019" now thanks to your post.
Yeah having just the hands interact with things would be fine. Having the environment jostle my characters body around any time I bump into something was nauseating, I hated climbing in Boneworks because your guy just weeble wobbles all over the place, bouncing about, and his arms can get stuck in shit, or it would push my face into whatever I'm trying to climb and make it hard to see, it just made me not want to explore the levels. I don't hate Boneworks or anything, but to me it feels like a tech demo, it does a lot of cool things, and a lot of things that don't work so well, feels like its something that could be taken and refined. I think TWD did a much better job of being immersive without making the game kind of a drag to play.

I love H3VR though, it's easily the game I've spent the most time with in VR. I think I have 45 hours in it so far, and like maybe 8 in Boneworks and 4 in The Walking Dead. I'm a bit of a gun enthusiast so I love the attention to detail on some of the guns, like that you can rack the slide of your pistol off the environment, or I've even had chunks of sosig hit my pistol, rack the slide, and eject a round. Or having to operate two seperate switches to engage full auto on the Kriss Vector or L95. So good.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
Yeah having just the hands interact with things would be fine. Having the environment jostle my characters body around any time I bump into something was nauseating, I hated climbing in Boneworks because your guy just weeble wobbles all over the place, bouncing about, and his arms can get stuck in shit, or it would push my face into whatever I'm trying to climb and make it hard to see, it just made me not want to explore the levels. I don't hate Boneworks or anything, but to me it feels like a tech demo, it does a lot of cool things, and a lot of things that don't work so well, feels like its something that could be taken and refined. I think TWD did a much better job of being immersive without making the game kind of a drag to play.

I love H3VR though, it's easily the game I've spent the most time with in VR. I think I have 45 hours in it so far, and like maybe 8 in Boneworks and 4 in The Walking Dead. I'm a bit of a gun enthusiast so I love the attention to detail on some of the guns, like that you can rack the slide of your pistol off the environment, or I've even had chunks of sosig hit my pistol, rack the slide, and eject a round. Or having to operate two seperate switches to engage full auto on the Kriss Vector or L95. So good.

Yeah the attention to detail is amazing on some of the weapons. I really appreciate the subtlety of the aiming angles especially with the handguns. Like the Colt Python has a super-aggressive aiming point with this chunky 90-degree angle grip whereas something like a PX4 or G17 have a really nice, relaxed and natural angle like you'd expect. I actually own both a Glock and a Python and these angles are about as accurate as you can get with a controller.
Another nice detail is the travel distance on bolt-action rifles, with the modern stuff like an 8400 having a smooth, low-movement action versus a 1894 Mosin which practically travels 180-degrees. Really makes a difference when you're firing from the hip or chest in close quarters.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah the attention to detail is amazing on some of the weapons. I really appreciate the subtlety of the aiming angles especially with the handguns. Like the Colt Python has a super-aggressive aiming point with this chunky 90-degree angle grip whereas something like a PX4 or G17 have a really nice, relaxed and natural angle like you'd expect. I actually own both a Glock and a Python and these angles are about as accurate as you can get with a controller.
Another nice detail is the travel distance on bolt-action rifles, with the modern stuff like an 8400 having a smooth, low-movement action versus a 1894 Mosin which practically travels 180-degrees. Really makes a difference when you're firing from the hip or chest in close quarters.
It's been too cold lately (and I'm too busy with work) to want to actually go to the range, so having a fun little virtual gun range has been great. My only real beefs have been minor things, like there's no bolt release on the M14 or FN FAL as far as I'm aware (that isn't just pulling the charging handle), but you have that function on the controller as though they do. Then I wish with the SKS you could open the magazine to drop out the rounds like you can on the real thing. I really look forward to whatever the new Take and Hold map is like though, I think Anton said it would be a bit longer range and more outdoors?

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's been too cold lately (and I'm too busy with work) to want to actually go to the range, so having a fun little virtual gun range has been great. My only real beefs have been minor things, like there's no bolt release on the M14 or FN FAL as far as I'm aware (that isn't just pulling the charging handle), but you have that function on the controller as though they do. Then I wish with the SKS you could open the magazine to drop out the rounds like you can on the real thing. I really look forward to whatever the new Take and Hold map is like though, I think Anton said it would be a bit longer range and more outdoors?

I can't really comment on the accuracy of the rifles - I have a lot of pistol experience but haven't ever owned a rifle. A friend of mine was into collecting Soviet Bloc weapons and I did shoot his SKS but that was back in like ... 2008. Can't remember a lot about it.

The new Take and Hold map can't come soon enough. I'm at about 80 hours of play time with probably 60-65 of those in Take and Hold. I'm burning out on it and in a game with 200+ extremely detailed guns, it's telling when you've used them all too much.

Anton did mention that the map will be outdoors and feature longer range engagements which will be a nice change. I just hope they tweak the accuracy of the Sosigs. I've been playing a lot of one-hit-kill health and even at like 30m+ in those long hallways the AI can snipe you with basic pistols.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
I can't really comment on the accuracy of the rifles - I have a lot of pistol experience but haven't ever owned a rifle. A friend of mine was into collecting Soviet Bloc weapons and I did shoot his SKS but that was back in like ... 2008. Can't remember a lot about it.

The new Take and Hold map can't come soon enough. I'm at about 80 hours of play time with probably 60-65 of those in Take and Hold. I'm burning out on it and in a game with 200+ extremely detailed guns, it's telling when you've used them all too much.

Anton did mention that the map will be outdoors and feature longer range engagements which will be a nice change. I just hope they tweak the accuracy of the Sosigs. I've been playing a lot of one-hit-kill health and even at like 30m+ in those long hallways the AI can snipe you with basic pistols.
Yeah I hope they fix that, sometimes I am pulling up a rifle to shoot something all the way down a hallway and i get tagged immediately by a pistol or something.

1 gift from xJavontax

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from Teamocil Teamocil!

This is a raffle that will expire in 12 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

Teamocil said:
Play through Budget Cuts 1 before jumping into Budget Cuts 2!

These are our awesome prizes:

• Steam Steam: Budget Cuts - Won by Jamesac68 Jamesac68 (18 entries)

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Hey do the index controllers work well with the vive or would it be better to trade up for the index?
running the Index controllers with the Vive since they released and it works great, I mean, they're basically just another set of controllers that needs to be paired with the HMD, and SteamVR takes care of the rest (well, Walking Dead had issues, but that was cause the devs, it was quickly fixed).

Though, since you're loaded and can afford it a full index kit might be more your thing.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017

I have experience with a variety of irl firearms, pistols, SKS, AR, Kar98, etc. I was mistaken about the FAL, and the M14 has a bolt hold open tab which could maybe also release the bolt if you awkwardly press it right but it isn't meant to be used as such, though you can get aftermarket bolt releases for it. I'm just nitpicking mainly but I'd prefer to go through the real motions of reloading the rifle, not that I can't but I feel inclined to use the quick bolt release on my knuckles controllers because it's faster, but it takes a bit of the immersion away from me a little bit. I know this is ironic when it's a game about shooting hotdogs lmao.

I seriously look forward to that new take and hold map though. As much as I love the mode it is getting a bit stale, though the new characters did definitely breathe some life in, I find the cowboy one really difficult compared to the others, the enemy numbers get pretty overwhelming when you're largely using manual action guns. I also kinda hope at some point that Anton does some improvements to the horror mode, meat grinder I think it was? I've played a bit in that and it's fun, though I've never actually beat it.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
So I finally set my supersampling stuff in STeamVR right and Skyrim runs and looks a lot better now. It was the only game I was kinda unhappy with the overall performance but now it seems fine.

Are there any "hidden" (not really hidden but lets call it "not very obvious" options. The SteamVR UI is pretty poor IMHO) options like that in the Oculus Link software? Might give Asgard's Wrath another shot then before a new patch arrives.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have experience with a variety of irl firearms, pistols, SKS, AR, Kar98, etc. I was mistaken about the FAL, and the M14 has a bolt hold open tab which could maybe also release the bolt if you awkwardly press it right but it isn't meant to be used as such, though you can get aftermarket bolt releases for it. I'm just nitpicking mainly but I'd prefer to go through the real motions of reloading the rifle, not that I can't but I feel inclined to use the quick bolt release on my knuckles controllers because it's faster, but it takes a bit of the immersion away from me a little bit. I know this is ironic when it's a game about shooting hotdogs lmao.

I seriously look forward to that new take and hold map though. As much as I love the mode it is getting a bit stale, though the new characters did definitely breathe some life in, I find the cowboy one really difficult compared to the others, the enemy numbers get pretty overwhelming when you're largely using manual action guns. I also kinda hope at some point that Anton does some improvements to the horror mode, meat grinder I think it was? I've played a bit in that and it's fun, though I've never actually beat it.

Yeah the cowboy weaponry is extremely tough. You really need to hit all your shots and a lot of the guns aren't very accurate. If I survive a few holds though I love having a whole belt full of revolvers. Instead of reloading, just whip out a fresh one. Really gives a gunslinger feel.

I've been enjoying the Mercenary playlist a lot - the one with guns from 48-89. Not only are those some all time classic weapons, something about the aesthetic of the map/ the new olive drab Sosigs really give it a Goldeneye-meets-XIII vibe and I love it. The final tier of ARs dropped me an M60A1 and nothing stood a chance on the final round.

Werd

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Got a Quest + 3rd party (PartyLink) cable a couple weeks ago, of course got the Humble VR Bundle. Moss was great! I thought the VR added a lot despite being very minimal with your controller tracking input. High fiving after puzzles is absurdly cute, as are most of Quill's animations in general. Nice change of pace after mostly Beat Saber and several FPS. Wish it were longer but can't complain since I got it so cheap, hope there is a sequel on the way.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Gorn was fun for like 5 minutes, but I don't see the appeal? Maybe I should play a bit more. Why exactly are the weapons made of rubber?
Still not a fan of Space Pirate Trainer, already tried that on PSVR back then but it feels a bit to hectic.

Finished Beat Saber! That was kinda hard towards the end but you really feel that you get better and better. Something I still don't feel for Pistol Whip. I like this game as a "Gun God" simulator with awesome music, but the scoring doesn't click with me. I still feel the aiming is off and I can't really get in the "rythm" for getting max points. Feels too random.

Arrived in Rifton in Skyrim. Oh boy, this world feels so massive and alive.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Gorn was fun for like 5 minutes, but I don't see the appeal? Maybe I should play a bit more. Why exactly are the weapons made of rubber?
Still not a fan of Space Pirate Trainer, already tried that on PSVR back then but it feels a bit to hectic.

Finished Beat Saber! That was kinda hard towards the end but you really feel that you get better and better. Something I still don't feel for Pistol Whip. I like this game as a "Gun God" simulator with awesome music, but the scoring doesn't click with me. I still feel the aiming is off and I can't really get in the "rythm" for getting max points. Feels too random.

Kind of feel the same about Pistol Whip. I feel like it needs to be more overt visually about what the beat of the music and clearer about when you should be shooting to maximize your score. There are songs where the music drops out entirely for moments, or enemies appear before the music has even really started and there's almost no way to know if you're shooting on time because there's no other obvious indication of what the beat is.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

If you finished Beat Saber, it is time to add custom songs.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of feel the same about Pistol Whip. I feel like it needs to be more overt visually about what the beat of the music and clearer about when you should be shooting to maximize your score. There are songs where the music drops out entirely for moments, or enemies appear before the music has even really started and there's almost no way to know if you're shooting on time because there's no other obvious indication of what the beat is.
Good to have someone who feels the same. I was told that I have to watch for the visuals on the enemies, but even when trying that (what can be really hard when a lot of stuff goes on) I don't feel like really "hitting" it. Audica does this a lot better or at least "feels" a lot better to me.
If you finished Beat Saber, it is time to add custom songs.
Still have to beat a lot of highscores from my wife, lol. And there are a lot of free packs and we bought the Monster Pack Vol 1. And I have to play Dance Collider and Audica as well. So, for now, I am good!

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Good to have someone who feels the same. I was told that I have to watch for the visuals on the enemies, but even when trying that (what can be really hard when a lot of stuff goes on) I don't feel like really "hitting" it. Audica does this a lot better or at least "feels" a lot better to me.
Still have to beat a lot of highscores from my wife, lol. And there are a lot of free packs and we bought the Monster Pack Vol 1. And I have to play Dance Collider and Audica as well. So, for now, I am good!
Yeah. Like things are reacting to and on the beat, but the information doesn't feel clear about specific timing and it comes across as just (visual) noise. Reading some comments on Steam, apparently there is a haptic metronome you can activate that I didn't know about. I should give that a try.

s2398jgi2jf

Feb 5, 2020
I registered (and waited over a week) to post this.

I do not think Beat Saber is worth it. Had I not paid full price ($42) I wouldn't post this but at full price the game has now left a slightly sour taste and I get annoyed so many people recommend it. I beat the campaign (and had enough fun) for the 5 hours it took me. I spent another hour playing with custom songs and I'd say I'm now finished with the game. I do not recommend it.

Now, Lone Echo, Boneworks and TWD:Saints & Sinners all get my approval at full price.

Superhot VR while fun and a great introduction initially, is short and I wont go back to it again. get it for half price or less as your first game.

Hopefully Boneworks hasn't ruined me for Half Life: Alyx. It's the game for interaction and VR immersion. Janky-ness included. It's amazing.

KiKaL

Oct 26, 2017

I do not think Beat Saber is worth it. Had I not paid full price ($42) I wouldn't post this but at full price the game has now left a slightly sour taste and I get annoyed so many people recommend it. I beat the campaign (and had enough fun) for the 5 hours it took me. I spent another hour playing with custom songs and I'd say I'm now finished with the game. I do not recommend it.

Do you enjoy Music Rhythm games? I am getting the feeling you don't. I have 20+ hours in Beat Saber (nothing too crazy) and have barely touched the Campaign. It's all about playing songs you like, enjoying the mustic and getting better and better moving up on difficulty.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Now, Lone Echo, Boneworks and TWD:Saints & Sinners all get my approval at full price.

Superhot VR while fun and a great introduction initially, is short and I wont go back to it again. get it for half price or less as your first game.

Hopefully Boneworks hasn't ruined me for Half Life: Alyx. It's the game for interaction and VR immersion. Janky-ness included. It's amazing.

I enjoy rhythm games and I feel the same way. I've got about 15 hours in Beat Saber and am extremely underwhelmed. It feels like a cheap trick, a toy, whereas I am into VR more for immersive experiences rather than simple, gamey games. I also couldn't stand Superhot VR despite loving the pancake version and despite it being a critical darling and VR fan-favorite.

And you know what? That's actually pretty amazing to me. VR has come a long way as a medium in a short time and offers a ton of content for everyone's tastes. I'm pumped people love those two games. Meanwhile my favorite VR games are Elite: Dangerous and Hotdogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades - two games I would have trouble recommending to anyone let alone someone new to the medium. It's awesome there are such diverse experiences available.

Also - welcome to the forum!

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
Yeah, Beat Saber is god tier to me, but I'm a rhythm game fanatic, so it's not that surprising I suppose.

I will say that my wife, who has isn't a gamer but has indulged me in playing rhythm games in the past, is LOVING Beat Saber. I didn't even know if she'd care to try VR, but for Beat Saber she's setting it up herself and playing for hours. So for me, this game has been worth the price of VR alone. As fun as the campaign is, though, custom songs are where it's at.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Audica, Beat Saber and Dance Collider are equally fun for me for different reasons. But Beat Saber is probably the most "pick up and play" title of those three.

There is another deal going on for various VR games at humblebundle. I am thinking about getting Skybound Kingdom Brawl for the campaign and Sairento VR. How is Sairento VR with Oculus Quest? It's still 17€ but I like the premise of the game. Is it anywhere similar to Raw Data? That one I really liked on PSVR.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Audica, Beat Saber and Dance Collider are equally fun for me for different reasons. But Beat Saber is probably the most "pick up and play" title of those three.

There is another deal going on for various VR games at humblebundle. I am thinking about getting Skybound Kingdom Brawl for the campaign and Sairento VR. How is Sairento VR with Oculus Quest? It's still 17€ but I like the premise of the game. Is it anywhere similar to Raw Data? That one I really liked on PSVR.
Haven't played Sairento on Quest, but it's pretty fun. Especially so on a wireless set up. It's not quite as polished an experience as Raw Data, but imo it's more fun since you have more options in combat. If you have an iron stomach you can get real crazy (like shooting while doing slow motion backflips off wall jumps crazy).

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't played Sairento on Quest, but it's pretty fun. Especially so on a wireless set up. It's not quite as polished an experience as Raw Data, but imo it's more fun since you have more options in combat. If you have an iron stomach you can get real crazy (like shooting while doing slow motion backflips off wall jumps crazy).
Thanks, bought it. Will try out later. I also got Skybound.

Played more of Gorn and it's actually kinda fun. Guess I just needed to get used to all the wonkyness :D

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone picked up a free game or bought anything from the epic store during their winter sale you might still have a $10 off $14.99 coupon. If you do, Falcon Age is currently $14.99 so with coupon it becomes $4.99

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Sairento really is a lot of fun. It lacks polish and the weapons lack a bit of feedback, but movement options are a lot of fun.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still trying out the different weapons. Are there more to unlock and if yes, how?

All weapons are unlocked at the start. There are relics which you can attach to the weapons that give them properties like multishot, explosives or whatever.

There is a weapons dlc pack for $4 that gives you a plasma smg, melee claws with the additional ability to eject the claws, and a sickle and chain which looks really fun, I haven't purchase the dlc yet.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
All weapons are unlocked at the start. There are relics which you can attach to the weapons that give them properties like multishot, explosives or whatever.

There is a weapons dlc pack for $4 that gives you a plasma smg, melee claws with the additional ability to eject the claws, and a sickle and chain which looks really fun, I haven't purchase the dlc yet.
Must have overseen the Bow then. And it says 1/2 SMGs, but there is only the Tempest available. Currently I have the most fun with Katana and SMG.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Must have overseen the Bow then. And it says 1/2 SMGs, but there is only the Tempest available. Currently I have the most fun with Katana and SMG.

Only real thing I hate is that for the weapons holstered on your hip it's wonky to grip them, It's like the opposite of robo recall where in that game the sensitivity of weapons are so high that I can have them equip without my hands being near my hip. While in Sairento I have a hard time equipping the pistols.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Only real thing I hate is that for the weapons holstered on your hip it's wonky to grip them, It's like the opposite of robo recall where in that game the sensitivity of weapons are so high that I can have them equip without my hands being near my hip. While in Sairento I have a hard time equipping the pistols.
Works great for me. Had more problems with that in other games where it grabbed the wrong items. But the game lost tracking a few times which never happened in other games so far. I think there are still regular patches for this one so things might still improve.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Just picked up Until You Fall in the humble VR sale and am super impressed. This game just feels really good and snappy. It's like a Dead Cells for VR.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Is it an arena fighter or do you actually move through some space?

You move through space, either with dashing around (dashing into enemies is like a fight opener) or you can move with the stick. The areas are small though and you have to warp from one to the next when you finish an area, so it's not one continuous thing.

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
Hey guys! My Rift S arrives on monday and I am excited to dive into VR! Now I am getting Beat Saber for sure, its one of the main reason why I wanted a Rift. Now seeing how I just spend $399 on the rift and $30 i'm planning on spending on Beat Saber, I don't really want to spend TOO much more on VR for this month lol. That being said, I want to get 1 or 2 more games by the time my Rift arrives. Any suggestions? So far I am thinking about Asgard's Wrath and one other.

Oh and is the Humble Bundle VR worth getting? Moss looks cute but I don't know about the other games.

s2398jgi2jf

Feb 5, 2020
Hey guys! My Rift S arrives on monday and I am excited to dive into VR! Now I am getting Beat Saber for sure, its one of the main reason why I wanted a Rift. Now seeing how I just spend $399 on the rift and $30 i'm planning on spending on Beat Saber, I don't really want to spend TOO much more on VR for this month lol. That being said, I want to get 1 or 2 more games by the time my Rift arrives. Any suggestions? So far I am thinking about Asgard's Wrath and one other.

Oh and is the Humble Bundle VR worth getting? Moss looks cute but I don't know about the other games.

I've only been in the VR space since December (also bought a Rift S) and out of the games I own and played, can highly recommend Lone Echo, Boneworks and TWD: SS.

Superhot VR is fun for an introduction to VR but I doubt I'll ever go back to it. If you pick it up cheap, sure.

Other games I've played but wouldn't recommend: Beat Saber is boring, Skyrim has terrible combat. I'm annoyed that I bought those last two.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I've only been in the VR space since December (also bought a Rift S) and out of the games I own and played, can highly recommend Lone Echo, Boneworks and TWD: SS.

Superhot VR is fun for an introduction to VR but I doubt I'll ever go back to it. If you pick it up cheap, sure.

Other games I've played but wouldn't recommend: Beat Saber is boring, Skyrim has terrible combat. I'm annoyed that I bought those last two.

Alternate take, Beat Saber is incredible, and Skyrim is incredibly immersive. I recommend both.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'd recommend at least trying Beat Saber on Steam for an hour and refunding it if it's not to your liking. I personally love it and the custom songs gave it so much staying power, I honestly would have gotten tired of it if it weren't for them.

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
uhhh how accurate is the recommended memory section in the oculus store for their games? A few of the games I'm interested has their recommended memory at 16GB. That's like all the ram I have at the moment lol. Is VR big on memory? I might have to up my ram size if so.