• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
I just got a gaming computer for my Oculus Quest. everything works great with the cable I have but I was wondering if VorpX is worth $40? I mainly want to play for GTA VR but would probably get more in the future.
I think vorpX is worth it if you have have a large library of supported games (and unofficial ones) as well as the time and patience to learn how to make it work for you.

However, for GTA V as well as some other PC games, you don't actually need vorpX. I'd recommend trying out some of the mods that convert non-VR games such as GTA V (and those you may already own) into VR first. As an aside, I've had a ton of fun with the OG DOOM titles.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god, do you mean the section in the dirty room with the "VR fan"? Because that honestly gave me the heebie jeebies. I just wanted to get out of the room immediately because of how creeped out I felt. I sat through the RE7 demo on PSVR and didn't so much as flinch, but that section of Accounting+ just left me in a state of horrified revulsion, haha.

It gets even worse from there. At one point I ended up on a dark beach next to a baby stroller with the sound of a crying baby and I noped the fuck outta there.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think vorpX is worth it if you have have a large library of supported games (and unofficial ones) as well as the time and patience to learn how to make it work for you.

However, for GTA V as well as some other PC games, you don't actually need vorpX. I'd recommend trying out some of the mods that convert non-VR games such as GTA V (and those you may already own) into VR first. As an aside, I've had a ton of fun with the OG DOOM titles.

Thank you so much, I just bought a $1400 PC and did not want to buy more shit just yet. Will try this when I get home

Haha then yeah buy VorpX. I just assumed you were new to it.

It's great on a lot of games and janky as hell on others. Definitely fun to experiment with though. In fact I think someone here posted a lot of VorpX game testing a few pages back.
Thanks! Ok, I'm going to get that next check.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I bought a bunch of VR games, got my setup over Link working nicely with a ceiling cable system, then promptly got a chest cold. Turns out aerobic activity and chest colds don't mix.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Eleven Table Tennis in my opinion is a VR must have that barely anyone ever mentions. Never ceases to impress me to be able to play a somewhat accurate simulation of table tennis like that against someone across the world where you see his gestures 1:1 (through his floating headset and controllers/paddle), I get completely transported into it like I'm really there in front of a real table with someone on the other side of it. So much fun.

edit-
steam page

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
Eleven Table Tennis in my opinion is a VR must have that barely anyone ever mentions. Never ceases to impress me to be able to play a somewhat accurate simulation of table tennis like that against someone across the world where you see his gestures 1:1 (through his floating headset and controllers/paddle), I get completely transported into it like I'm really there in front of a real table with someone on the other side of it. So much fun.

edit-
steam page
Totally agree, I actually mentioned it last sale to someone in here as a must buy. My first game was with a guy in NC (I am in VA) and we just chatted and hit around for an hour, was really awesome. My number 1 game I want to play with friends whenever they get VR along with Golf.

Oct 25, 2017
I think it somewhat helps to pretend like you're holding the weight of the real world equivalent object that you're using in game as that's what the devs tried to go for, but like you said the pantomiming doesn't always translate so well.

I think the thing they messed up on aside from general level design is forcing weapons being discarded at end of levels, like I get it they wanted to shoehorn in that ridiculous vending machine mechanic at the beginning of new areas but I suspect most players aren't taking the time to feed clip after clip of ammo just to get something they probably already used in an earlier area. Constantly stripping people of their arsenal and forcing them to rebuild it again each level is just annoying. Like maybe their thinking is they want you to improvise using the physics but I'm not sure if that really works most of the time outside of things like during the Streets level using trashcan lids for deflecting turret fire. Not really helpful against the moving enemies with guns.

Thanks to a *lot* of your suggestions, I was able to sit down here before work and finish the Streets level in the game. It helped immensely to actually slow down my actions and make my movements more nuanced and 'weighty looking' rather than actually increasing my speed; I really wish the game could have explained it as well as you did.

Also, once I got a gun the moment-to-moment gameplay felt a lot better for me, since I think so far the gunplay stuff is shockingly well implemented; I really feel like I'm interacting with real weapons, and aiming down the sight (even closing an eye, just as I would at a range). I do wish there was feedback from the controllers, but overall it feels great.

Definitely seeing what you're talking about with taking weapons away. I started feeding ammo into the machine in the next area and wound up not getting the thing I wanted because I didn't have enough :\

Overall, I feel like I've finally found out how to deal with Boneworks. Even felt a lot more comfortable today moving around; didn't get any cold sweats or weird feelings despite a lot of silly things happening to my body in game. I really appreciate what Boneworks is doing, but I have to say, I'm looking forward to Alyx even more now (and my hype levels were already through the roof, since I got an Index for the game in the first place) since I think I am starting to prefer warping / room scale movement with non-IK interactions a bit more than Bonework's take. I bet they will complement each other well, though.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017

edit-
steam page

Yup! I constantly have to remind myself to not lean on the table while reaching for a shot. The beta plays very well un-tethered on the Quest too.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else here have analog stick drift on their Index controller? My stick drifts backwards and maxing out the deadzone in SteamVR doesn't help :\ Gonna need to RMA these

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else here have analog stick drift on their Index controller? My stick drifts backwards and maxing out the deadzone in SteamVR doesn't help :\ Gonna need to RMA these

I have a very slight drift when I move my stick but it only appears in pavlov.....so I dunno if that's just something with the game or my controllers.

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mine wasn't that bad before but it got worse over time :\

Honestly yeah I think in about a year it's probably gonna get real noticeable to the point where I'm gonna have to send it in. Especially since I just got the index a couple of days before Christmas. We'll see though if this progresses further.

Anyways after Echo Combat I've been eying some other stuff from the oculus store mainly Asgards Wrath, Stormlands, and Robo Recall. How are those games through Revive?

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Seems to be pretty widespread on the Index Reddit. They've raised the analog stick on the left controller. It fixes the click issue. It'll be interesting to see if it fixes all the drift problems they're having.
I'd read about the reports but was trying to hold off until Valve fixed it. Hopefully they did indeed fix it but we won't really know until people have had 2 or 3 months with the new sticks. Gonna suck having to RMA a second time if its still fucked

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
Honestly yeah I think in about a year it's probably gonna get real noticeable to the point where I'm gonna have to send it in. Especially since I just got the index a couple of days before Christmas. We'll see though if this progresses further.

Anyways after Echo Combat I've been eying some other stuff from the oculus store mainly Asgards Wrath, Stormlands, and Robo Recall. How are those games through Revive?

I have a Rift so it's not first hand experience, but Robo Recall was one of the first exclusives that performed well with ReVive. I've heard mixed reviews on Asgard's Wrath on non-Oculus platforms but it's also kind of a bitchy game if it's not on an SSD so your mileage may vary.

Dunno about Stormlands performance but I want it.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
I have a Rift so it's not first hand experience, but Robo Recall was one of the first exclusives that performed well with ReVive. I've heard mixed reviews on Asgard's Wrath on non-Oculus platforms but it's also kind of a bitchy game if it's not on an SSD so your mileage may vary.

I have been reading the same things. It sounds like asgard's wrath is really demanding due to the difference in the Oculus and Index. I think people were saying trying to push 90hz or up over the 80hz of the Oculus requires a pretty beefy GPU. I only have a 1080 so I think I'm going to hold off at least until the 30 series from Nvidia drops.

I did pull the trigger on walking dead saints and sinners but I have a strong feeling it's not going to run particularly well on the index.

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I have been reading the same things. It sounds like asgard's wrath is really demanding due to the difference in the Oculus and Index. I think people were saying trying to push 90hz or up over the 80hz of the Oculus requires a pretty beefy GPU. I only have a 1080 so I think I'm going to hold off at least until the 30 series from Nvidia drops.

I did pull the trigger on walking dead saints and sinners but I have a strong feeling it's not going to run particularly well on the index.

Yeah I kinda figured that it would be the rig tester in terms of VR games. At least Half Life Alyx might not be as intense in terms of specs but I guess that just depends on how well my 6700k will handle it. I'll definitely check out the other two games and maybe pick up that walking dead game coming in like 2 days depending on how well it reviews.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Don't sleep on the Luger pistol in H3VR. I started a game last night and had the good fortune of getting incendiary AP rounds for it on my second hold. I also had the terrible luck of getting no other viable weapons and that little pistol took me into the fifth hold. I had written it off as an antique 9mm but with an 8+1 capacity and AP rounds the thing was taking down Sosigs in full body armor with two shots. It's also very quick to reload and has surprising accuracy at greater than 5m which, while I love the 1911, that gun does not. Fun little pistol.

Crocodilelogic

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

just sent my month old controller back for the same reason. Good luck steam support is painfully slow.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
so figured I'd go back and replay HL2 for the first time in ages, so I'll get ep1 and ep2 out of the way before Alyx, and starting HL2 up, and going into video settings I saw this:

hcKZ7zx.png

How long has "virtual reality mode" been in the settings?

edit: ok, it started once with showing something resembling a VR view (2 rendered windows) but on the desktop only even though it started SteamVR when I selected that option, and subsequent starts of the game with SteamVR running already only starts the game in some Bigscreen mode.
Ohwell, thought they'd hid some VR mode with an update now to get more hype for Alyx.

Last edited:

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
so figured I'd go back and replay HL2 for the first time in ages, so I'll get ep1 and ep2 out of the way before Alyx, and starting HL2 up, and going into video settings I saw this:

How long has "virtual reality mode" been in the settings?

edit: ok, it started once with showing something resembling a VR view (2 rendered windows) but on the desktop only even though it started SteamVR when I selected that option, and subsequent starts of the game with SteamVR running already only starts the game in some Bigscreen mode.
Ohwell, thought they'd hid some VR mode with an update now to get more hype for Alyx.
IIRC, it (and I think Team Fortress 2) used to have a rudimentary/experimental VR mode for the Oculus DK1 that they patched out for a number of reasons including that the CV1 broke compatibility with all DK1 (maybe even 2?) games. Maybe they didn't even patch it out, it's just that it doesn't work with anything current and was never updated.

There are some mods out there to get a decent amount of Half-Life 2 playable with motion controls through Gary's Mod. Haven't tried them though.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Playing TF2 and HL2 on the DK1 was definitely one of the highlights of those early days, just exploring the train station alone and having npcs meet your gaze was a real uncanny feeling for the time.

Probably one of the last videos before launch tomorrow, some good info in here particularly how flexible and emergent the quest system is, can kill anyone at any time even during dialogue, any human npcs can turn into zombies. I need this game.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Embargo for Saints and Sinners lifts at 7PM GMT tomorrow btw, so like 20 hours 20 minutes from now. Still not finished the game so my review won't be ready but I'll post some extensive impressions on here. Can't wait to talk about it :)

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Embargo for Saints and Sinners lifts at 7PM GMT tomorrow btw, so like 20 hours 20 minutes from now. Still not finished the game so my review won't be ready but I'll post some extensive impressions on here. Can't wait to talk about it :)

So, hypothetically speaking, if you were Rick Grimes, and if Rick Grimes were also into good VR games, would you enter an abandoned building full of walkers to save the last existing copy of Saints and Sinners? Or would you let it be lost to history? 😇

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
How's Budget Cuts 2?

I remember that everybody freaked out over the original tech demo but then were super cold on the actual release.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Is it a slim chance? I guess I haven't really been paying much attention. I just assumed most titles released as cross-buy. I get why certain older games didn't want it, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of benefit for new games to avoid it. It's a good selling point.

Everyone was speculating it wouldn't be, but man I made a bad purchase decision since I bought it off GMG and they just announced it will be. Oh well, live and learn. I wish they would announce these things sooner.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
How's Budget Cuts 2?

I remember that everybody freaked out over the original tech demo but then were super cold on the actual release.

The original wasn't bad, it was just severely lacking in variety. The fact that the demo had a crossbow and the final _only_ had throwing weapons was really disappointing. It does seem that BC2 fixes that though, they even just patched in smooth locomotion and lots of non-canonical weapons to play with.

I haven't picked it up yet but I probably will after a sale, €15-20 would probably be worth it.

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
After moving and spending quite a bit of time not using VR, I'm looking to get my VR legs back. I have a few games to choose from, any thoughts on what I might want to start with to avoid sickness and rebuild tolerance?

Shadow Point
Journey of the Gods
Damaged Core
Lone Echo

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just gonna play the regular version. Maybe I'll revisit the mod in a year when it's more complete
Yeah I started replaying HL2 this week in preparation for HLA, I though about doing it in VR but decided just to enjoy it how it came out =) I will tag team HL2 normal and Saints and Sinners for my VR fix starting today :O

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
yeah, I've tried the mod, it had some stuttering in the train ride for me, and the locomotion acceleration wasn't really doing it for me, so I quit pretty early on.

I assume it doesn't have any comfort aides?

The HL1 mod for the Oculus Quest was originally a huge no for me. But Dr. Beef eventually added a comfort mask, that if it's just the right size and distracts my peripheral vision, does a good job in making it playable for me.

Deleted member 13148

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any opinions on The Curious Tale of the Stolen Pets?

This seems to be the first time it's been on sale, and it looks pretty cute.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Apparently the embargo lifted early - I can say that Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners is definitely worth buying. Combat is a lot of fun, the game is super tense and atmospheric but also gives you breathing room also. Crafting is fun and it feels surprisingly substantial overall.

Negatives are mainly some of the environments feeling a bit repetitive and some mild jank. But unless it gets worse in the next few hours, I'm probably scoring it an 8/10.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Started the RMA process for my Index controllers and it looks like I lucked out and got an advanced RMA
unknown.png

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
I assume it doesn't have any comfort aides?

The HL1 mod for the Oculus Quest was originally a huge no for me. But Dr. Beef eventually added a comfort mask, that if it's just the right size and distracts my peripheral vision, does a good job in making it playable for me.
None that I recall, it doesn't have the easiest options to navigate, I think some changes have to be made through ini.

Mind you, it's a small install, and easy to drop in the HLVR files into your half-life install, so if anyones curious, they should try it.

Anyway, I'm Downloading Saints and Sinners now, lets see how this works.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Just looked through the huge Oculus sale on Rift games (there's also a Quest specific sale)

It's actually fucking impressive that none of the games on my Wishlist are on sale haha

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a quick tutorial on how to use FPSVR anywhere? I just purchased it this morning but can't figure out how to get the display to popup in game and also how to minimize it, is it possible to bind it to a button?