• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Just received a Metroid Prime scanning ability in Stormland which is quite satisfying (I'm still early in the game).
It's such a little gameplay thing but scanning various object, with a progress-bar loading the information, and then cataloging it... it is very pleasing. It was cool in Metroid Prime, it was cool in Beyond Good & Evil and similarly here. In VR it's arguably cooler since you actually press your temple to activate/de-activate the mode.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just received a Metroid Prime scanning ability in Stormland which is quite satisfying (I'm still early in the game).
It's such a little gameplay thing but scanning various object, with a progress-bar loading the information, and then cataloging it... it is very pleasing. It was cool in Metroid Prime, it was cool in Beyond Good & Evil and similarly here. In VR it's arguably cooler since you actually press your temple to activate/de-activate the mode.

NMS has this, too. Not the pressing the temple to do it, though.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Only 4 more days till this comes out, I'm really excited for it, really hope it doesn't disappoint.

I hope it's good, too. I really don't want to watch the video. Part of my love of VR is experiencing moments fresh without trying to anticipate when something is going to happen based on footage I've watched.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I pre-ordered Walking Dead with the 20% off promo yesterday... I hope it's good too!

I really don't care about the bigger WD lore (haven't watched the show since the first season) but the game looks really fun

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
I pre-ordered Walking Dead with the 20% off promo yesterday... I hope it's good too!

I really don't care about the bigger WD lore (haven't watched the show since the first season) but the game looks really fun

Man I'm tempted to do this too but I have about 20 VR games I haven't even started yet including stuff like Beat Saber and stuff people rave about. I'm going to try and make a dent in that this year. I hope it's really good though!

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Man I'm tempted to do this too but I have about 20 VR games I haven't even started yet including stuff like Beat Saber and stuff people rave about. I'm going to try and make a dent in that this year. I hope it's really good though!
Yeah... I have a well documented disease that consists of buying way too many games all the time....

On a completely unrelated subject... I'm thinking of buying an Oculus game... Not sure between Lone Echo or Stormland...

MikeE21286

Oct 27, 2017
Hey everyone, new Oculus Quest owner here, have previously owned a Vive and currently own a psvr.

I've got the Oculus Link running pretty good with a 10' Anker cable, however I'm looking for a solution that makes it more comfortable to use the Quest when linked up to the PC. The cable just dangling out in front of the headset is very distracting, and quite frankly nearly unusable IMO.

This may have been asked/answered previously, and any advice is really appreciated! I can't find anything from what I've searched on the internet.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone, new Oculus Quest owner here, have previously owned a Vive and currently own a psvr.

I've got the Oculus Link running pretty good with a 10' Anker cable, however I'm looking for a solution that makes it more comfortable to use the Quest when linked up to the PC. The cable just dangling out in front of the headset is very distracting, and quite frankly nearly unusable IMO.

This may have been asked/answered previously, and any advice is really appreciated! I can't find anything from what I've searched on the internet.
I use simple velcro tie-wraps. I can't feel them on the back of my head and they do the job just fine.

And by pure coincidence they happened to match Beatsaber's colors haha

gO2i5S7.jpg

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

the official link cable is thinner, more flexible, has a 90 degree end to relieve stress and comes with a clip that makes it so that it runs behind you instead of to the side.

minus side it's $80 and goes in and out of stock.

but if you don't want to go that way you can just clip the cord on somehow, like with a twist tie from a pack of bread :P

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah... I have a well documented disease that consists of buying way too many games all the time....

On a completely unrelated subject... I'm thinking of buying an Oculus game... Not sure between Lone Echo or Stormland...

Haha! I own Lone Echo but haven't booted it and Stormland is on my wishlist on the Oculus Store.

That being said, id grab Lone Echo as a sequel is in the works and it's getting a little old. Might want to play it before it feels dated - although the way everyone talks about how amazing it is might mean it has more longevity.

I could see myself thinking stuff like Arizona Sunshine was really cool but I played it for the first time over the summer and it just felt super outdated. A year in VR seems like an eternity with the speed the industry is moving.

Edit - have you considered Asgard's Wrath? It's very good.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

Tempted with this but wondering if I should wait for the Quest version and hope for the slim chance it's also cross buy...

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

I use a USB-c right angle adapter to attach it to the headset.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Tempted with this but wondering if I should wait for the Quest version and hope for the slim chance it's also cross buy...

Is it a slim chance? I guess I haven't really been paying much attention. I just assumed most titles released as cross-buy. I get why certain older games didn't want it, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of benefit for new games to avoid it. It's a good selling point.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Is it a slim chance? I guess I haven't really been paying much attention. I just assumed most titles released as cross-buy. I get why certain older games didn't want it, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of benefit for new games to avoid it. It's a good selling point.

Really depends on how much additional asset work and optimization they have to do.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
And then I bought Asgard's Wrath. Looking forward to see what it's all about.

Hope you like it, I'm still stunned by its production values for a VR game. Just hanging out in the tavern area alone is a trip, the detail they put into that environment in particular is crazy. The character designs, animation, shaders, texture art, it's all top notch. Eager to see what the devs do next.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Asgard has some very nice production values. Great first impression. Will see how it fares after a few hours but by all accounts this seems very polished and tuned. It's hard not to step on the toes of other games being Norse and all but it has a certain amount of style to it so feels fine.

Oct 25, 2017
Been putting some time into Boneworks since I got it. I find the game intensely frustrating; the tutorial sort of promises some interesting combat stuff, but the opening area is mostly painfully dull, running around trying to bash the ugly looking AI with bricks and stuff. It sounds cool, but man, it doesn't actually *feel* good to do any of this. Picking physics objects up at first is such a cool, and novel thing, but the application here is dangerous in my opinion; I've slammed the knuckle controllers together and in my face more than a few times just trying to get the game to do what should be easy. It takes things way too far in my opinion, and ultimately is a pretty shitty game even if the mechanical stuff is innovative. Since there's no saving ability and I didn't have time to finish the first level I'll most likely have to restart. Again.

Sigh.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
The level design in Boneworks is very wanting particularly the puzzles, but I still love the art style and general atmosphere of the simulation dystopia plus the ost is fantastic. The game shines as a sandbox to muck about in first and foremost. I keep coming back to it for the sandbox mode and spawning in the human npc and treating it like a much more goofy Blade & Sorcery. Also those giant crablets are the thing nightmares are made of.

I highly recommend searching for a 100 % save file off the Boneworks subreddit that includes everything unlocked. The spawn gun (can spawn in any weapon or enemy) especially in single player makes it a lot more fun overall. SLZ has plans to add more sandbox arenas plus mid level saves this month so I wouldn't give up on it yet. I can see how others won't enjoy it as much but what can I say I love it jank and all.

It is pretty interesting though seeing something like Saints and Sinners coming out so soon after BW that appears to be going for similar IK interaction complexity and looks a lot more polished. Shame it isn't getting nearly the amount of attention BW did up until launch, but I get it those NODE videos have a wide reach.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I got my Oculus Quest today and a new PC will follow in the next days/weeks.
I am eager to play No Man's Sky and Subnautica in VR. But both games had bad performance problems, at least when their VR patches launched. I can't find much about how it works today. How is the overall VR experience in these games? Did they ever patch the performance issues? I found some workarounds to get better performance but that doesn't work for everyone.

Oct 25, 2017
The level design in Boneworks is very wanting particularly the puzzles, but I still love the art style and general atmosphere of the simulation dystopia plus the ost is fantastic. The game shines as a sandbox to muck about in first and foremost. I keep coming back to it for the sandbox mode and spawning in the human npc and treating it like a much more goofy Blade & Sorcery. Also those giant crablets are the thing nightmares are made of.

I highly recommend searching for a 100 % save file off the Boneworks subreddit that includes everything unlocked. The spawn gun (can spawn in any weapon or enemy) especially in single player makes it a lot more fun overall. SLZ has plans to add more sandbox arenas plus mid level saves this month so I wouldn't give up on it yet. I can see how others won't enjoy it as much but what can I say I love it jank and all.

It is pretty interesting though seeing something like Saints and Sinners coming out so soon after BW that appears to be going for similar IK interaction complexity and looks a lot more polished. Shame it isn't getting nearly the amount of attention BW did up until launch, but I get it those NODE videos have a wide reach.

I most likely won't give up on it. One thing I've already identified is that I need to increase my walking space a bit for this game if I want to do room-scale; wildly thrashing about with limited space is not my wisest plan.

I do wish the game would let the player use guns sooner; I very much dislike the melee stuff because the game goes a bit crazy with the pantomining being, well, literally heavy handed. Like there are plenty of doors covered by wood planks where I feel like I really have to break my back swinging at things before the wood will break; I'm probably 'doing it wrong', because I've found at least one or two cases where I'm 100% doing things the wrong way and when I go with the grain it's all suddenly better. The puzzles themselves range from "okay, that's weirdly silly and stupid" to "what in the actual fuck am I supposed to do here?" and that's just on the first level. It's... not so much the games fault as it is the puzzles themselves relying on genuinely new mechanics, so as a gamer, your first instinct is not "Oh, I'll smash *every single box* until I find the key." I will, when I have time, make a mad dash through the first large level here so I can unlock a sandbox mode for it, because I can see having a lot of fun with that, especially because the gunplay is really the stuff that appeals to me.

The visual design of the game -- well I don't love it. It reminds me too much of, well, an unfinished game, which is almost certainly what they are going for it being a virtual world and all, but it doesn't seem very full-bodied to me.

I should consider myself lucky that nomatter what weird stuff has happened to me in the game so far, the worst I've encountered is some cold sweats; I don't get "sick" from VR games, but when they make me feel out of sorts a bit I do get this funny physical reaction to that which is little more than a signal that the game is doing weird stuff. It bodes well for me, I suppose: I don't think Boneworks will make me ill even at its worst.

I'll definitely be getting the Saints and Sinners game. It looks like a done of fun and a bit less crazy than Boneworks, which may be what I need to acclimate a bit more.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I got my Oculus Quest today and a new PC will follow in the next days/weeks.
I am eager to play No Man's Sky and Subnautica in VR. But both games had bad performance problems, at least when their VR patches launched. I can't find much about how it works today. How is the overall VR experience in these games? Did they ever patch the performance issues? I found some workarounds to get better performance but that doesn't work for everyone.
Just from a performance perspective, NMS got a lot better. Still not great, but better. I'm not sure if the newest update affected that though. I have a lot of issues personally with the actual VR implementation but, if you can get over some IMO rather large hurdles, it becomes really engaging and considering how big it is and the fact it wasn't built to be a VR game in the first place, it's amazing it works as well as it does.

Subnautica I haven't played so I can't comment on that. The fact that it's regular controller only and my fear of the ocean has kept me from giving it a try.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Just from a performance perspective, NMS got a lot better. Still not great, but better. I'm not sure if the newest update affected that though. I have a lot of issues personally with the actual VR implementation but, if you can get over some IMO rather large hurdles, it becomes really engaging and considering how big it is and the fact it wasn't built to be a VR game in the first place, it's amazing it works as well as it does.

Subnautica I haven't played so I can't comment on that. The fact that it's regular controller only and my fear of the ocean has kept me from giving it a try.
Regular Controller is no issue for me, can even be a plus. For example I enjoyed Skyrim way more with a controller than with move controls. Thanks for the impressions. I also have fear of the ocean but I WANT to explore and craft and I keep telling myself that it's just cartoonish graphics, lol.

What are the hurdles with No Mans Sky and what is the stuff you don't like a bout it in VR? The thing is I am looking for fully fledged, big VR games that I can put a lot of hours and long sessions into. I just want to get lost in these world like I did in Skyrim. I plan to get Asgard's Wrath as well.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
What are the hurdles with No Mans Sky and what is the stuff you don't like a bout it in VR? The thing is I am looking for fully fledged, big VR games that I can put a lot of hours and long sessions into. I just want to get lost in these world like I did in Skyrim. I plan to get Asgard's Wrath as well.
There's a laundry list of minor issues, but I think the biggest one is that it doesn't have true room scale. You can tell they built it for PSVR's forward facing camera and didn't go further for PC. That means any time you step outside the center of your space, you get this huge box telling you to step back in (this includes crouching). Luckily you can mod that out but the forward facing only philosophy also applies to where your character is facing. Your character doesn't technically turn around in game unless you use the right stick/pad to snap/smooth turn. You can look around and even move around while physically turning, but your HUD won't follow you and whenever you use your jetpack to jump forward, you always jump towards your HUD. Now if you don't mind playing seated, a lot of that won't affect you, except the snap turning is set at pretty large intervals and there are no options to change it (this left me walking around diagonally a lot of the time lol). If you can handle smooth turning that also won't be an issue though (hurdle jumped). Personally, playing in a chair outside the vehicles kind of ruined my immersion a decent amount but it's probably the best way to play currently. Mileage will vary based on how you feel about seated VR for these types of games.

Some of the other things include stuff like the flight/vehicle controls not feeling very good (they're virtual sticks), the camera being hijacked to place you in different perspectives when interacting with things, text and menu elements appearing in walls or the floor, UI markers breaking the 3D immersion since they're always placed at fixed distances, along with a bunch of other things.

ALL THAT SAID, even with all those issues, I kept coming back and found a lot of enjoyment exploring for the most part. It's just that I can see the potential in how much better it could be with a few not so impossible changes and that bums me out a bit.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
There's a laundry list of minor issues, but I think the biggest one is that it doesn't have true room scale. You can tell they built it for PSVR's forward facing camera and didn't go further for PC. That means any time you step outside the center of your space, you get this huge box telling you to step back in (this includes crouching). Luckily you can mod that out but the forward facing only philosophy also applies to where your character is facing. Your character doesn't technically turn around in game unless you use the right stick/pad to snap/smooth turn. You can look around and even move around while physically turning, but your HUD won't follow you and whenever you use your jetpack to jump forward, you always jump towards your HUD. Now if you don't mind playing seated, a lot of that won't affect you, except the snap turning is set at pretty large intervals and there are no options to change it (this left me walking around diagonally a lot of the time lol). If you can handle smooth turning that also won't be an issue though (hurdle jumped). Personally, playing in a chair outside the vehicles kind of ruined my immersion a decent amount but it's probably the best way to play currently. Mileage will vary based on how you feel about seated VR for these types of games.

Some of the other things include stuff like the flight/vehicle controls not feeling very good (they're virtual sticks), the camera being hijacked to place you in different perspectives when interacting with things, text and menu elements appearing in walls or the floor, UI markers breaking the 3D immersion since they're always placed at fixed distances, along with a bunch of other things.

ALL THAT SAID, even with all those issues, I kept coming back and found a lot of enjoyment exploring for the most part. It's just that I can see the potential in how much better it could be with a few not so impossible changes and that bums me out a bit.
Okay thanks for the explanation. As far as I understand this I can just play it seated with a controller but in VR. Just like Skyrim, which it totally fine for me because that is pretty much all I want. It already adds a lot to the immersion when you are able to look around freely. HUD not following sucks though.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Okay thanks for the explanation. As far as I understand this I can just play it seated with a controller but in VR. Just like Skyrim, which it totally fine for me because that is pretty much all I want. It already adds a lot to the immersion when you are able to look around freely. HUD not following sucks though.
Actually, I don't think it has regular controller support for VR. Only motion control. Last time I checked at least.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Actually, I don't think it has regular controller support for VR. Only motion control. Last time I checked at least.
Oh, that sucks. Just checked the steam board and they didn't add it yet. Afair it's possible on PlayStation. Well, maybe I'll just wait for the next big update then and concentrate on the other games I mentioned. Thanks for the warning.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, that sucks. Just checkes the steam board and they didn't add it yet. Afair it's possible on PlayStation. Well, maybe I'll just wait for the next big update then and concentrate on the other games I mentioned. Thanks for the warning.
Yeah, like I said, you can tell the PSVR version was their first priority since all of the design decisions seem to be based on that. It's understandable, but still a bit of a bummer.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I most likely won't give up on it. One thing I've already identified is that I need to increase my walking space a bit for this game if I want to do room-scale; wildly thrashing about with limited space is not my wisest plan.

I do wish the game would let the player use guns sooner; I very much dislike the melee stuff because the game goes a bit crazy with the pantomining being, well, literally heavy handed. Like there are plenty of doors covered by wood planks where I feel like I really have to break my back swinging at things before the wood will break; I'm probably 'doing it wrong', because I've found at least one or two cases where I'm 100% doing things the wrong way and when I go with the grain it's all suddenly better. The puzzles themselves range from "okay, that's weirdly silly and stupid" to "what in the actual fuck am I supposed to do here?" and that's just on the first level. It's... not so much the games fault as it is the puzzles themselves relying on genuinely new mechanics, so as a gamer, your first instinct is not "Oh, I'll smash *every single box* until I find the key." I will, when I have time, make a mad dash through the first large level here so I can unlock a sandbox mode for it, because I can see having a lot of fun with that, especially because the gunplay is really the stuff that appeals to me.

The visual design of the game -- well I don't love it. It reminds me too much of, well, an unfinished game, which is almost certainly what they are going for it being a virtual world and all, but it doesn't seem very full-bodied to me.

I should consider myself lucky that nomatter what weird stuff has happened to me in the game so far, the worst I've encountered is some cold sweats; I don't get "sick" from VR games, but when they make me feel out of sorts a bit I do get this funny physical reaction to that which is little more than a signal that the game is doing weird stuff. It bodes well for me, I suppose: I don't think Boneworks will make me ill even at its worst.

I'll definitely be getting the Saints and Sinners game. It looks like a done of fun and a bit less crazy than Boneworks, which may be what I need to acclimate a bit more.

I completely agree on the melee, most of them aside from bladed weapons feel too clunky to use against enemies, and jesus padlocks are a pain in the ass especially in a later area where you've got mobs of enemies all around as you're trying to bust locked doors open. I think it somewhat helps to pretend like you're holding the weight of the real world equivalent object that you're using in game as that's what the devs tried to go for, but like you said the pantomiming doesn't always translate so well.

Also if you ever get a crowbar hang on to it for dear life as it's probably the most versatile and balanced melee weapon in the game, use the non bent end for two handed spear like jabbing motions as that seems to take down enemies the most efficiently and it's also best for breaking boxes . The curved part can be used to assist with climbing but of course it's a bit janky like everything else :P

I think the thing they messed up on aside from general level design is forcing weapons being discarded at end of levels, like I get it they wanted to shoehorn in that ridiculous vending machine mechanic at the beginning of new areas but I suspect most players aren't taking the time to feed clip after clip of ammo just to get something they probably already used in an earlier area. Constantly stripping people of their arsenal and forcing them to rebuild it again each level is just annoying. Like maybe their thinking is they want you to improvise using the physics but I'm not sure if that really works most of the time outside of things like during the Streets level using trashcan lids for deflecting turret fire. Not really helpful against the moving enemies with guns.

Boneworks is probably the first VR game in years that made me feel nausea, I've adjusted to it now but my first few days with it were a bit rough, also got a headache that lasted for awhile after playing too at one point. It's kind of strange how disconnected SLZ is from the issue, obviously these are die-hard VR devs that have been working in the medium since before the Vive launch with Hover Junkers, so sure they're more adjusted to the effects of motion sickness, but you'd think at one point in development they'd have demoed it to enough friends, colleagues, or acquaintances to realize "hmm maybe we should adjust the movement here a bit". Or maybe they really are that insular and either didn't show it to many outside the office or chalked up complaints to them not having their VR legs or whatever. Regardless they should think about decoupling the head from the IK body to reduce the vestibular disconnect.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope TWD isn't too scary. I can't handle VR horror at all. Way too freaky for me. I peaced out of Accounting+ because it gets pretty damn creepy.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I just hope TWD isn't too scary. I can't handle VR horror at all. Way too freaky for me. I peaced out of Accounting+ because it gets pretty damn creepy.

Well now I'm curious what section you're referring to, I only ever beat the original Accounting and have played through some of Plus but don't remember anything that creepy in there. Might have to boot it up again now and check it out.

On that note while this is Quest only currently there's apparently a pretty well done alpha demo of a survival horror game on Sidequest called Project Terminus. Non-spoilerish trailer from the devs (which also did High Seas another Sidequest release):

Last edited:

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018

Oh god, do you mean the section in the dirty room with the "VR fan"? Because that honestly gave me the heebie jeebies. I just wanted to get out of the room immediately because of how creeped out I felt. I sat through the RE7 demo on PSVR and didn't so much as flinch, but that section of Accounting+ just left me in a state of horrified revulsion, haha.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
It's a few days old but didn't see this one posted yet:

Didn't know about the eating requirements for stamina until now, this is looking pleasantly more fleshed out for a survival game than I expected.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
I just got a gaming computer for my Oculus Quest. everything works great with the cable I have but I was wondering if VorpX is worth $40? I mainly want to play for GTA VR but would probably get more in the future.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just got a gaming computer for my Oculus Quest. everything works great with the cable I have but I was wondering if VorpX is worth $40? I mainly want to play for GTA VR but would probably get more in the future.

Its a great program to have in your wheelhouse if you're going to be serious about PCVR but if you're new to it I'd give it some time and focus on the growing number of great games that are developed for VR. You may think you're all about VR right now, but a lot of people kind of drop it after the initial honeymoon period.

In short, play a bunch of games now and see where you're at in a couple of months and if you're still in love the medium.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
Its a great program to have in your wheelhouse if you're going to be serious about PCVR but if you're new to it I'd give it some time and focus on the growing number of great games that are developed for VR. You may think you're all about VR right now, but a lot of people kind of drop it after the initial honeymoon period.

In short, play a bunch of games now and see where you're at in a couple of months and if you're still in love the medium.
I've had VR for 3 years and am still in the honeymoon phase. It is the only way of gaming that excites me anymore.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My Valve Index came in and it's giving me some trouble. For some reason, it won't let me change my refresh rate. I noticed there are updates available for the HMD, so I've been trying to get that to work. Every time it just says Updated Failed and to restart Steam VR and unplug the device and plug it back in. Still doesn't work. Anyone have any ideas on how to solve this?