• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
Why does your body in VR games have to be disembodied hands?

Because it never looks fully right when it includes the arms.

Some games do it OK, but there is a slight disconnect at the very best between where your elbows are and where they are in game. I like floating hands much better than the estimated arm positions.

Violater

Nov 19, 2017
Because it never looks fully right when it includes the arms.

Some games do it OK, but there is a slight disconnect at the very best between where your elbows are and where they are in game. I like floating hands much better than the estimated arm positions.
It just always seems a little immersion breaking to me.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
It just always seems a little immersion breaking to me.
Try Boneworks and see your elbow bounce out of an object and your whole body shift around before of dodgy physics. Full body is way way worse for immersion breaking.

The thing about VR is your brain is really good at filling in the gaps in stuff. It's more about things working as they should rather than having full visual fidelity. You can be '100% in' a game that's super cartoony, because when you pick something up, or throw something, it reacts as you expect. Your hand is where your brain thinks it is.

One of the more interesting things about VR is that, as long as your brain doesn't have contrary information, it can have incorrect information. For instance, if you reach out to grab a door handle, or hold a two handed gun, as long as your hand doesn't do something like hit a wall or move in a weird way, the visual information of where your hand is in the game can be different to the actual position of your hand. It lets VR devs do stuff like add weight to weapons so your hands move slower than they do in real life, or as I said, emulate holding the stock of a gun.

But it's when that information clashes with the real world that things get really iffy with immersion. That's why full bodies actually hurt the experience, rather than help it; it's just more things that the game will likely get really wrong.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
LOL I just played through all the levels on Normal with Dual Wielding. Was fun. Got a bit annoyed with some of the pillars as my playspace isn't huge but it was fun and not too difficult. But yeah I can feel the burn in my legs lmao
Beat Saber is the arm workout while Pistol Whip is leg day :P

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone use a ceiling pulley system for their wired headset? If so, which one?
Kiwi Pro one. I used a customer pulley and older model of this one before and it worked alright, had some links and twisting occasionally. This is much better though.

Kiwi Pro Version Cable Management

Much less prime to tangling and just better tuned overall. Let me know if you have any questions setting it up. I've been through the whole process twice.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have the 32ft of this (it's gone up in price from when I ordered a little)

and the 10ft of this (looks like red is the only color available right now)

But yeah, they work great together.
So, the cable they provided us for charging on the quest. Isn't 3.1 correct? What is the cable we got?

Basically what I'm asking is what is the reason we can't use the cable provided for the quest for link? I have extra 5gps speed USB C cables that will work. Just wondering.

Last edited:

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
So, the cable they provided us for charging on the quest. Isn't 3.1 correct? What is the cable we got?

Basically what I'm asking is what is the reason we can't use the cable provided for the quest for link? I have extra 5gps speed USB C cables that will work. Just wondering.

It's USB 2.0. Third party cables are a bit of a crapshoot. Some work, some don't. If it doesn't, make sure to check all the ports on your mobo before moving onto another.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's USB 2.0. Third party cables are a bit of a crapshoot. Some work, some don't. If it doesn't, make sure to check all the ports on your mobo before moving onto another.
Why would they provide us with a USB 2.0 cable. That's insane to me.

I got an active 3.0 repeater and Anker power line cable in the meantime. What Tyriel Wood uses as I generally trust his videos.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Why would they provide us with a USB 2.0 cable. That's insane to me.

I got an active 3.0 repeater and Anker power line cable in the meantime. What Tyriel Woods uses as I generally trust his videos.

Maybe for the thinness and flexibility? It's really all I got. The USB 3 cables are definitely thicker and more rigid.

When I first got my Quest, I was amazed at just how awful the file transfer speeds were. Thankfully somebody on Reddit pointed out a USB 3 cable made things a lot faster.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Just played through The Curious Tale of the Stolen Pets - anyone else played it? Really cute and fun if you want a relaxing little 90 minute VR game.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Kiwi Pro one. I used a customer pulley and older model of this one before and it worked alright, had some links and twisting occasionally. This is much better though.

Kiwi Pro Version Cable Management

Much less prime to tangling and just better tuned overall. Let me know if you have any questions setting it up. I've been through the whole process twice.

How much area does it actually let you cover? My room gives me at least 10ft x 10ft, so I'm wondering how well it would handle that. Do you use the "ring" method that is included? Our ceiling is slightly raised at about 9 ft, so I'm wondering if that would make any difference, too.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
So my Rift S came in the other day and scared me to death when I plugged it in and the sensors weren't reading. I troubleshooted for a while and tried different USB ports but nothing worked. Then I tried the front USB port and boom, it worked. Of course the cable could not reach both that port and the DP so after a few tears I try it one more time in the rear USB ports and it worked. It's like the front ports gave it a jump start.

Anyway, I've played a lot of VR back when the first OR kits were sold and games are so much better now. VR has come a long way in just a few years. Beat Saber may be the most fun I've had in a game in a long time.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
I don't know how many of you enjoy Pavlov and all its mods, but I just saw someone has remade Hidden Source in Pavlov. I don't know if anyone really has it downloaded yet, but I just checked out the Hospital map and it looks great. I feel like this will be properly scary in VR, one of my favourite source mods back in the day.

Two maps so far:

Hospital by Kennithh
Docks by Mottflyer, who also remade the mod for Pavlov.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Pistol Whip makes you feel like a gun-fu god...

...until you turn off auto-aim and realize you're a gun-fu scrub.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
On that tip, I think more VR action shooters should have Pistol Whip's auto aim as an option. Though I think having to actually aim accurately is cool, that level of precision isn't what I'm usually looking for unless it's a gun range or PvP or horror experience. If it's more run and gun like Sairento or maybe like the Medal of Honor game coming up or a hypothetical Wolfenstein New Order VR for instance , I'd rather be able to play in to the power fantasy more with a little aim assistance. Again, as an option of course.

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On that tip, I think more VR action shooters should have Pistol Whip's auto aim as an option. Though I think having to actually aim accurately is cool, that level of precision isn't what I'm usually looking for unless it's a gun range or PvP or horror experience. If it's more run and gun like Sairento or maybe like the Medal of Honor game coming up or a hypothetical Wolfenstein New Order VR for instance , I'd rather be able to play in to the power fantasy more with a little aim assistance. Again, as an option of course.
Some optional aim assist in games could be a good option, though Pistol Whip's would be a bit extreme for a lot of games. Adjusting how much aim assist you get could be a good option for difficulty levels in games.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How much area does it actually let you cover? My room gives me at least 10ft x 10ft, so I'm wondering how well it would handle that. Do you use the "ring" method that is included? Our ceiling is slightly raised at about 9 ft, so I'm wondering if that would make any difference, too.
So my ceiling is as high, around 9 ft. But my play area is only like 6*8 ft. I don't have any issues as the cable depending on how you setup can pull more through. I haven't tried a 10*10 yet
Let me get back to you on this. My play area is only like 6*8, there's different configurations that give you some extra slack though.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Heads up to anyone with an Oculus device and NVidia hardware on PC: I've found an issue with Oculus and NVidia DSR.

If you enable NVidia DSR (supersampling), it forces your primary monitor to the highest DSR resolution on the desktop while the Oculus service is running. If you try to change the desktop resolution, nothing will happen. The only thing you can do is either stop the Oculus service or disable DSR.

I haven't found a fix for it yet. If only I could set my primary Oculus monitor to a different display than my main gaming display.

This issue seems to have gone unnoticed online.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States

Serious Sam 1 has a lot of crazy mods that are worth checking out.

Robinson: The Journey is a mixed bag but very pretty.

GORN is interesting but ultimately worse than Blade & Sorcery.

Superhot is a VR darling but I fucking despised it.

Arizona Sunshine was one of the first big VR shooters but already feels dated.

I Expect You To Die is a lot of fun and very inventive especially if you play with friends.

Duck Season and A Fisherman's Tale are incredible single player experiences that really push VR forward as a storytelling medium.

Sairento is great if you've ever wanted to be a ninja.

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you have people to play with, Star Trek Bridge Crew is essential.

I still need to play The Talos Principle VR, but I loved the flat version. The Croteam VR games I've played have been great, so I'd expect Talos to be a good conversion.

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
Here's another recommendation for the Serious Sam VR games and Star Trek: Bridge Crew.

If you can wait for the next Steam sale (whenever that is), the Croteam VR Bundle usually goes for $15.95. The Serious Sam VR games have various mods available for them via Serious Sam Fusion 2017 (beta), which you get for free from owning one of the supported games. However, several mods--with the notable exception of the Duke Nukem 3D mod--require that you also own the 2D version of the Serious Sam 3 DLC, Jewel of the Nile, which isn't included with Serious Sam 3 VR.

Dutch Masters

Jun 7, 2018
Hey guys, I just got my Valve Index and I'm raring to give Skyrim VR a go. I'm worried though because I read a lot of comments saying my current set up won't be able to handle it well.

GTX 1060 3gb
I7-9700K
16gb RAM

Does anyone have any experience with Skyrim VR with this type of set up? Looking to see what type of texture mods I'll be able to put in while keeping an overall smooth experience (if any).

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, I just got my Valve Index and I'm raring to give Skyrim VR a go. I'm worried though because I read a lot of comments saying my current set up won't be able to handle it well.

GTX 1060 3gb
I7-9700K
16gb RAM

Does anyone have any experience with Skyrim VR with this type of set up? Looking to see what type of texture mods I'll be able to put in while keeping an overall smooth experience (if any).
Pretty sure you'll be fine with at least the base experience. Min spec is a 970. Texture mods will probably lower performance but it depends on how heavy you get and I'm pretty sure there are a few mods that combine and simplify meshes that will help with performance as well.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
Thank god finally they give this as an option

img]

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I know the answer is probably, "just Steam" but do any of these by chance redeem on the Oculus store? I want Star Trek, but I'd like the cross-buy version so I can play natively on my Quest, too.

Pretty sure it'll mention Oculus if that's an option (see Arizona Sunshine):

Usually when these cheap cross buy options become available, they make the front page of the Quest Reddit. I'm not seeing any talk, so I'd assume it's a no go.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I got an email from Green Man Gaming saying that there's a 20% off promo on the Walking Dead Saints and Sinners pre-order....

Is that the good WD game coming out soon or the bad one? The whole WD games thing has been super confusing...

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
I got an email from Green Man Gaming saying that there's a 20% off promo on the Walking Dead Saints and Sinners pre-order....

Is that the good WD game coming out soon or the bad one? The whole WD games thing has been super confusing...
On the one hand 20% discount, on the other hand, no refunding possible if it turns out boring.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017

To be fair, we don't know if either is going to be good, but Saints & Sinners is the one that looks more promising to me personally.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Back into PCVR after one year as I've been busy changing homes (also I sold my Vive once rumors of Valve Index started surfacing, which I never ended up buying due to house renovations). I'm back thanks to the Oculus Quest w/Link and having received the official cable today. I am still positively surprised by Oculus and how plug-and-play they make the PC experience unlike SteamVR which has been iffy over the years imo (having a Quest with no external sensors surely helps in that regard).

My GTX 980 Ti and 6700K runs Lone Echo flawlessly. I'm thinking about picking up Stormland and/or Asgard's Wrath as they are probably good indicators to test if my aging rig can handle Half-Life: Alyx.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Woah... Stormland is wonderful. The scale is huge and the mobility is awesome.
Insomniac's VR effort has come a long way since Edge of Nowhere. This feels like a mix between an open world Ratchet & Clank and Unreal Tournament.
Love the techno music and the colors when I'm speeding around the vistas. Feels very polished.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda feel the itch to buy a new VR game but I'm not sure what...

I've tried most of the big games (and used a shameful amount of refunds in the last few weeks...).

I'm really curious about Lone Echo but I feel like the full price is a bit much right now for an older game...

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Woah... Stormland is wonderful. The scale is huge and the mobility is awesome.
Insomniac's VR effort has come a long way since Edge of Nowhere. This feels like a mix between an open world Ratchet & Clank and Unreal Tournament.
Love the techno music and the colors when I'm speeding around the vistas. Feels very polished.

I'm buying it this weekend.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I remember seeing it on Giant Bomb and thinking it looked cool and fucked up
I'm not really into horror, but I've always wanted duck hunt remade in VR... and I like the idea of not only doing that but turning it into a horror game as that damn dog haunted my nightmares as a kid :P

seems to have pretty good reviews as well.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I kinda feel the itch to buy a new VR game but I'm not sure what...

I've tried most of the big games (and used a shameful amount of refunds in the last few weeks...).

I'm really curious about Lone Echo but I feel like the full price is a bit much right now for an older game...
You can always play Echo VR, the multiplayer component, for free. Echo Combat is a $10 expansion as well for the FPS mode.