• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I gotta say... One thing that never gets old with VR is when you put on the headset and then see the two controllers rendered in the 3D world while they are on the floor or on a table in front of you and you can just go and grab them just like if you were really seeing them... Like the 3D is (mostly) good enough to fool your brain into thinking the controllers are exactly where you think they are.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Duh I fixed my Oculus Link issue... Turns out they are not actually releasing an update to the Quest Firmware... The update today was just for the Windows software on the PTC branch so I had to disable the PTC toggle to keep the versions in sync between windows and the headset...
I disabled ptc on my pc, but it still dosen't detect my pc, tells me I need an update for the quest but there is none? Did have to do anything besides disabling ptc?

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I disabled ptc on my pc, but it still dosen't detect my pc, tells me I need an update for the quest but there is none? Did have to do anything besides disabling ptc?
Did you get an update on the software after disabling the PTC? You need to update the software to rollback to the old version. Try restarting the software if the update hasn't downloaded yet.

After the rollback on the PC software everything went back to normal for me.

The software needs to be at version 12

This is what I see when I go into Settings and the General and scroll all the way down

T0T4wWz.png

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Did you get an update on the software after disabling the PTC? You need to update the software to rollback to the old version. Try restarting the software if the update hasn't downloaded yet.

After the rollback on the PC software everything went back to normal for me.
na didnt get any update, will restart if that dosent fix ill just delete and redownload oculus on my pc, thanks

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
I gotta say... One thing that never gets old with VR is when you put on the headset and then see the two controllers rendered in the 3D world while they are on the floor or on a table in front of you and you can just go and grab them just like if you were really seeing them... Like the 3D is (mostly) good enough to fool your brain into thinking the controllers are exactly where you think they are.

Ha, yes, I love this too. Sometimes I put it on and think, wait, where the heck did I put my controllers? Only to see them rendered floating in the air (on my desk) and I just reach out and grab them. Small thing, but still rad.

InsanezX2

Oct 28, 2017
I agree, it makes it easy to put everything on without worrying about losing sight of things. Except for that one time I left the controllers on the stairs and smashed my face into the railing when I reached to pick them up.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
So I had some fun finally putting my last mod onto my HTC Vive. The FrankenVive is complete, pretty much everything replaced. Already attached the deluxe audio strap, then replaced the foam in both the head strap and headset with VR Cover foam, and today I replaced the default lenses with gear vr lenses. I picked up the lenses from an etsy seller who already had the lenses installed into the adapter already. The vendor also modifies the lenses as well so you don't need to install any distortion software. The process was a little scary at first having to pop out the original lenses with a flat head screwdriver, but they actually come out pretty easily with a little force. Installing the new lenses with the adapter is a piece of cake too. Pops right in and easy to remove. Because you will have to remove them a couple times to make sure all dust is gone. Not that big of a deal. Get some lens cleaner wipes and a portable air puffer and this can be done in five minutes. I'm definitely a believer too after getting these new lenses installed. The amount of clarity I now have across the entire field of view is fantastic. No more major blurriness on the edges. The edges are slightly blurry but it's way on the edge that blurs and it is still better than before. Fantastic upgrade that looks to have almost the same FoV as before but much clearer. Now I can keep this until there is an Index 2 or perhaps Index with wireless support built in. Very happy with this setup. If you glasses you might have to move out the headset one slot because I think the gear VR lenses with the adapter stick out more, but it also depends what face cover you have too. If it is thicker like the vr cover one I own then the lenses sticking out more isn't as big of a deal.

I also grabbed a booster cover for my index controllers from etsy as well, alongside a stand to put my controllers in. The stand doubles as a charger too, just need to buy magnetic usb c cables from amazon, but I'm purely just using it as a stand for now. The nice thing is the controllers with the boosters attached fit in the stand easily. I snapped a couple photos of the finished product. Here is the stand and controllers with the boosters attached (got them in portal colors):

dx4hIYh.jpg

The stand I bought from here:

Also bought the boosters from the same vendor. Purchased the PETG version (that are currently 17 dollars):

The boosters give me a better grip on each controller and allow my hands to move freely between the analog stick, track pad, and buttons on top. Don't have a major issue anymore moving my thumbs up top to use everything.

Snapped a couple photos with the lenses attached and the VR Covers as well.

sFNWNWM.jpg

5FGIf05.jpg

This is the seller for the lens replacement on etsy for the vive and vive pro(has a separate listing for the vive cosmos):

The vr cover foam was the 14mm foam (was on sale for black friday, not on sale anymore it seems):

I ordered the 20mm deluxe audio strap cover too (which was also on sale for black friday):

Having both the vr cover headset foam and the deluxe audio strap foam helps give a nice snug fit too without hurting your head. Feels very comfy to wear. The HTC Vive can be a good headset if you spend the money and time to modify it. :/ As long as I get a couple more years out of this that is all I ask for!

Last edited:

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
Did my first "real workout" with my VR set. I usually go to the gym.

30min Beat Saber
30min nonstop Box VR
15min Super Hot

This was awesome to limber up and my fitness tracker told me I burned something like 300 cal.
After that some strength training without VR and I was done.

I think I will cross off 1 Gym day a week and do a VR session at home.

This was way more effective than expected. I am feeling some muscle ache in the lower back area from all the ducking and dodging in Box VR.
I am actually thinking of getting some weight bracelets to make beatsaber and Box VR more taxing.

Also really loving my new index controllers. Soooo much more comfortable that OG vive ones. The Finger tracking is a bit finicky for me though.
When I make a fist my index finger is only tracked when I actually touch/press the trigger button. Feels wired when you are just holding the controller, not pressing the index finger on the trigger and your ingame hands show a fully extended index finger....

Last edited:

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Did my first "real workout" with my VR set. I usually go to the gym.

30min Beat Saber
30min nonstop Box VR
15min Super Hot

This was awesome to limber up and my fitness tracker told me I burned something like 300 cal.
After that some strength training without VR and I was done.

I think I will cross off 1 Gym day a week and do a VR session at home.

This was way more effective than expected. I am feeling some muscle ache in the lower back area from all the ducking and dodging in Box VR.
I am actually thinking of getting some weight bracelets to make beatsaber and Box VR more taxing.

Also really loving my new index controllers. Soooo much more comfortable that OG vive ones. The Finger tracking is a bit finicky for me though.
When I make a fist my index finger is only tracked when I actually touch/press the trigger button. Feels wired when you are just holding the controller, not pressing the index finger on the trigger and your ingame hands show a fully extended index finger....

How difficult of Beat Saber songs were you playing? I'm not sure weights are really a great idea with how fast you have to move on some Expert+ songs.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
So I had some fun finally putting my last mod onto my HTC Vive. The FrankenVive is complete, pretty much everything replaced. Already attached the deluxe audio strap, then replaced the foam in both the head strap and headset with VR Cover foam, and today I replaced the default lenses with gear vr lenses. I picked up the lenses from an etsy seller who already had the lenses installed into the adapter already. The vendor also modifies the lenses as well so you don't need to install any distortion software. The process was a little scary at first having to pop out the original lenses with a flat head screwdriver, but they actually come out pretty easily with a little force. Installing the new lenses with the adapter is a piece of cake too. Pops right in and easy to remove. Because you will have to remove them a couple times to make sure all dust is gone. Not that big of a deal. Get some lens cleaner wipes and a portable air puffer and this can be done in five minutes. I'm definitely a believer too after getting these new lenses installed. The amount of clarity I now have across the entire field of view is fantastic. No more major blurriness on the edges. The edges are slightly blurry but it's way on the edge that blurs and it is still better than before. Fantastic upgrade that looks to have almost the same FoV as before but much clearer. Now I can keep this until there is an Index 2 or perhaps Index with wireless support built in. Very happy with this setup. If you glasses you might have to move out the headset one slot because I think the gear VR lenses with the adapter stick out more, but it also depends what face cover you have too. If it is thicker like the vr cover one I own then the lenses sticking out more isn't as big of a deal.

I also grabbed a booster cover for my index controllers from etsy as well, alongside a stand to put my controllers in. The stand doubles as a charger too, just need to buy magnetic usb c cables from amazon, but I'm purely just using it as a stand for now. The nice thing is the controllers with the boosters attached fit in the stand easily. I snapped a couple photos of the finished product. Here is the stand and controllers with the boosters attached (got them in portal colors):

dx4hIYh.jpg

The stand I bought from here:

Also bought the boosters from the same vendor. Purchased the PETG version (that are currently 17 dollars):

The boosters give me a better grip on each controller and allow my hands to move freely between the analog stick, track pad, and buttons on top. Don't have a major issue anymore moving my thumbs up top to use everything.

Snapped a couple photos with the lenses attached and the VR Covers as well.

sFNWNWM.jpg

5FGIf05.jpg

This is the seller for the lens replacement on etsy for the vive and vive pro(has a separate listing for the vive cosmos):

The vr cover foam was the 14mm foam (was on sale for black friday, not on sale anymore it seems):

I ordered the 20mm deluxe audio strap cover too (which was also on sale for black friday):

Having both the vr cover headset foam and the deluxe audio strap foam helps give a nice snug fit too without hurting your head. Feels very comfy to wear. The HTC Vive can be a good headset if you spend the money and time to modify it. :/ As long as I get a couple more years out of this that is all I ask for!

If I had all that for my Vive, I'd execute the final maneuver and get the wireless adapter for it.

Last edited:

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
So this is dumb... I requested a refund of a game on the Oculus Store... It was approved in like 20min (which is great) but then when I go and try to uninstall the game from the library it says "Unable to uninstall unknown library game" and it's also not in the Windows App & Feature window.... So... I guess I'll just go delete the folder from the HDD?

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
FINALLY got my Rift S working again by manually rolling back the Nvidia drivers to an earlier version. Oculus should be fucking ashamed for their terrible support with all the recent Rift S issues though.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have the Valve Index VR cover interface and foam replacement? I love the default foam on my index. But I have issues where it slides down my face even when tightened. So it ends up resting a bit too low and throwing off my sweet spot. Want to get some impressions before I buy.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have the Valve Index VR cover interface and foam replacement? I love the default foam on my index. But I have issues where it slides down my face even when tightened. So it ends up resting a bit too low and throwing off my sweet spot. Want to get some impressions before I buy.
You mean the one Valve sells? I thought it was just the same as the original?

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Getting my link cable next week. Haven't played any pcvr yet.

What's everyone's top pcvr experience right now? Asgards Wrath? Stormland? Lone Echo? Looking for something that's just gonna blow my socks off.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Christmas tree is down. My VR space has been entirely reclaimed. Time to do some serious Link play now. Awwww yeah.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
FINALLY got my Rift S working again by manually rolling back the Nvidia drivers to an earlier version. Oculus should be fucking ashamed for their terrible support with all the recent Rift S issues though.
I got frustrated today that I returned my Rift S to best buy. The official forums are full of people have the same issue I had and that is when you turn on your computer and load the software it says the headset is not connected. You have to unplug it and then plug it back in and then it works. If you have to restart your computer it happens again and you have to unplug and plug it back in. I am not sure when this started...but the forums are just full of posts about this issue. I recently built a new rig..my old one I had to buy a separate USB 3.1 card to make it work and had zero issues. On the new Rig this started a week ago. I decided to add that USB 3.1 card I had on the old computer and while it says it is connected and all is well, the headset just displays the Oculus logo. When I go to device set up it says it can't do tracking and has me disconnect and reconnect and still does not work. When I put it back to one of the motherboards USB 3.0 it works, but if I restart the computer I have to unplug everything for the headset and re-plug them in for it to work.

So yeah...I just got fed up with it and took it back. It was great when it worked like it should, but most are stating an update caused this issue. So hopefully they fix it..but I only had a few days left for my return window and I just don't trust Oculus support of the Rift S. They seem to be solely concerned in supporting the Quest...which is something I may get instead since I am hearing great things about the Oculus Link. BTW...what is the latest on the Beta software? Last I heard it was suppose to come out of Beta sometime in end of December, but reading that it is still in Beta.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Where's the best place to keep up with VR releases? I'm trying to check out all the VR games I missed over the last few months but it's hard to find a comprehensive list.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I got frustrated today that I returned my Rift S to best buy. The official forums are full of people have the same issue I had and that is when you turn on your computer and load the software it says the headset is not connected. You have to unplug it and then plug it back in and then it works. If you have to restart your computer it happens again and you have to unplug and plug it back in. I am not sure when this started...but the forums are just full of posts about this issue. I recently built a new rig..my old one I had to buy a separate USB 3.1 card to make it work and had zero issues. On the new Rig this started a week ago. I decided to add that USB 3.1 card I had on the old computer and while it says it is connected and all is well, the headset just displays the Oculus logo. When I go to device set up it says it can't do tracking and has me disconnect and reconnect and still does not work. When I put it back to one of the motherboards USB 3.0 it works, but if I restart the computer I have to unplug everything for the headset and re-plug them in for it to work.

So yeah...I just got fed up with it and took it back. It was great when it worked like it should, but most are stating an update caused this issue. So hopefully they fix it..but I only had a few days left for my return window and I just don't trust Oculus support of the Rift S. They seem to be solely concerned in supporting the Quest...which is something I may get instead since I am hearing great things about the Oculus Link. BTW...what is the latest on the Beta software? Last I heard it was suppose to come out of Beta sometime in end of December, but reading that it is still in Beta.

What do you mean by beta? The Quest and Link? I'm not sure it'll be leaving beta anytime soon. I think they've got a lot more long term plans for it (wifi, using the full bandwidth of USB 3.1). They did introduce the Oculus tools that allowed you to up the bandwidth and raise the output resolution in the December update, though. So IQ is definitely better than the launch videos that people had with Link.

Jan 15, 2018
Finally got my Index, it took around 35 days for it to change from processing to shipped. I've gotta say, valve shipped it out fast, I found out it shipped on monday and had it in my hands Thursday morning.

Played Boneworks, it's a little rough, my body definitely didn't like how movement works at first, but I'm pretty much used it now. Really love how it plays otherwise though.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Getting my link cable next week. Haven't played any pcvr yet.

What's everyone's top pcvr experience right now? Asgards Wrath? Stormland? Lone Echo? Looking for something that's just gonna blow my socks off.
I've heard currently an active 3.0 and high speed (5gbps) cable are able to provide the same experience. Currently right. But that might change later with updates as they improve the link cables capabilities

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Anyone played Pistol Whip? Gonna start it today now my Rift is working :)
Yeah it's pretty great, although pretty intense.

Speaking of, I finally got around to giving Hellblade VR a go and fucking hell that's not something that you want to go into lightly. If you liked the game I think it's absolutely worth trying, because it puts you into that world so much more immediately, but it's really intense and heavy.

Curiously, the third person works pretty great, and I'd love to see some more experimentation in that space. Moss does third person really well too, but the default to first person feels like we're missing some interesting experimental space. I remember there being a VR bullet hell where your hand was a space ship, and I think there's a lot more that could be done there.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017

Speaking of, I finally got around to giving Hellblade VR a go and fucking hell that's not something that you want to go into lightly. If you liked the game I think it's absolutely worth trying, because it puts you into that world so much more immediately, but it's really intense and heavy.

Curiously, the third person works pretty great, and I'd love to see some more experimentation in that space. Moss does third person really well too, but the default to first person feels like we're missing some interesting experimental space. I remember there being a VR bullet hell where your hand was a space ship, and I think there's a lot more that could be done there.
Yeah that's why Astro Bot is so good. They really used your perspective and the inherit interactivity of VR with a 3rd person view amazingly. I played Astro Bot first so Moss seems like a downgrade now that I am playing it 😣

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

It's also great because most people have zero issue with smooth locomotion this way. I personally find 3rd person just as immersive as 1st person, too. Wish all the major games did this. The Tomb Raider games had crazy atmosphere even with just stereo 3D. Can't imagine what they would have been like with real VR support.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Hi guys! So, I got an Oculus Quest and have been upgrading my PC, and I'm wondering if someone can tell me if this should be good enough for an Oculus Link setup:

GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER
Intel i7-7700 Processor
16gb RAM

Don't have my exact motherboard model on hand if that would have anything to do with it (I'm not really a super knowledgeable hardware guy).

I just want to know what people think before I spend the money to get the Oculus Link cable.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Hi guys! So, I got an Oculus Quest and have been upgrading my PC, and I'm wondering if someone can tell me if this should be good enough for an Oculus Link setup:

GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER
Intel i7-7700 Processor
16gb RAM

Don't have my exact motherboard model on hand if that would have anything to do with it (I'm not really a super knowledgeable hardware guy).

I just want to know what people think before I spend the money to get the Oculus Link cable.

You're more than good enough.

As for the actual Link cable, I spent $30 less and have a cable that gives me ~45ft to work with and my setup hasn't had any issues.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you! and that's awesome. Any chance you have a link to the cable you got? I'd love to check it out.

I have the 32ft of this (it's gone up in price from when I ordered a little)

and the 10ft of this (looks like red is the only color available right now)

But yeah, they work great together.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone knows of a good stand for the Index headset? I really need to find a way to keep it in a presentable state while between play sessions!