• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I've had the Vive for over three years, but I've recently gotten spoiled by how you just hold down the menu button on the Touch controllers, and everything re-calibrates to your current position. Does SteamVR have an add-on that allows this functionality? Or are you completely reliant on a game programming this in for SteamVR?

Only thing keeping me from being hyped is understanding when the Oculus Link will be available. Otherwise, it does look like a great title.

Are you talking the official cable or the service? Because speculation is the 11th for the service. People have already spotted code in the PC software and a quickly pulled store item was hinting at the 11th.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
does anyone know if you can connect Samsung Gear VR controllers to a PC without using a phone or Gear VR? I bought some controllers for cheap and was hoping to use them as foot trackers using Natural Locomotion.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Which company would you see is leading the way and innovating VR?

Oculus IMO. Look at everything the Quest is doing. The hand tracking/poses they're going to incorporate early next year is going to have real limitations because of the low refresh rate of the cameras, but 2nd gen Quest is going to be amazing. That thing should have full body tracking and be a wireless hybrid with zero compromises. This is the future and it's going to be tuff for anyone to compete with their second gen stuff when others aren't even laying any of this necessary groundwork this gen.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Finally dusted off my Samsung Odyssey+ and getting into Beat Saber to get into shape during the Fall/Winter.
I love games like Dance Central that make me feel like I'm actually dancing. All the Youtube videos I've seen (outside of that Beat Saber Queen Korean girl), are all stationary and hardly what I call "dancing". Is Audio Trip the closes to actually feeling like you're dancing instead of just waggling?

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Oculus IMO. Look at everything the Quest is doing. The hand tracking/poses they're going to incorporate early next year is going to have real limitations because of the low refresh rate of the cameras, but 2nd gen Quest is going to be amazing. That thing should have full body tracking and be a wireless hybrid with zero compromises. This is the future and it's going to be tuff for anyone to compete with their second gen stuff when others aren't even laying any of this necessary groundwork this gen.
Yeah, Valve inarguably has the most complete premium package on the market at the moment but, from what's been shown to the public at least, Oculus seems to be innovating more between the Quest, face tracking, varifocal lenses, etc. Wouldn't be surprised if Valve is also doing some of that behind closed doors, but even they don't have the resources Oculus does.

Finally dusted off my Samsung Odyssey+ and getting into Beat Saber to get into shape during the Fall/Winter.
I love games like Dance Central that make me feel like I'm actually dancing. All the Youtube videos I've seen (outside of that Beat Saber Queen Korean girl), are all stationary and hardly what I call "dancing". Is Audio Trip the closes to actually feeling like you're dancing instead of just waggling?
Yep. That's why I'm enjoying it.

Last edited:

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely Oculus. So much so in fact that I'm afraid that they'll end up taking over the PC market. HTCs products are outdated now and their most recent offering (Cosmos) is expensive and arguably inferior to the Rift S. The Index while amazing is waaay too expensive for the average consumer. WMR doesn't have the best reputation either with only having 2 front facing cameras and lackluster controlles.

Unless MS releases a new version of WMR I think there's going to end up being a vacuum for mid priced SteamVR devices. Rift S has already has surpassed the market share of WMR on SteamVR and it'll only continue to grow. Oculus needs better competition in the mid priced VR range because as it stands right now there's basically none

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
So, anybody else hyped for Stormland on the 14th? It's become my most anticipated VR title of the year. Good looking visuals, big open procedural generated world, cool movement system, guns and explosions, upgrades, co-op, seemingly decent story, Insomniac Games.
I should be way more hyped, but I'm admittedly becoming a lazy entitled spoiled brat with the wireless Vive and now Quest. Where's 5G standalone VR when you need it?

Enordash

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
New music pack for Beat Saber out today. Looks like there's something wrong with the bundle on Steam at the moment, but you can still purchase each song individually.

Edit: The link for the bundle is now working.

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017
I believe that Pistol Whip music beat game is also out today, interested to hear impressions. Looks cool.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Pistol Whip embargo is up. Ten songs, slightly wonky rhythm tracking at launch, but gosh, is it a blast. Here's my review at Ars:

Pistol Whip's secret sauce is its clever level design, since enemies constantly pop out from left to right and from top to bottom while you automatically glide forward. Cloudhead Games proves its VR development chops with Pistol Whip's levels. For one, they're grounded with what I like to call "anchoring" geometry at all times, with a sense of a central horizon point and a high-contrast color palette that favors bold-yet-cool colors. You won't get sick auto-moving through these worlds, and it's a remarkable feat.

Additionally, that forced-movement perspective lets the designers telegraph each upcoming threat. It quickly becomes second nature to read certain block and cover formations from a distance. A floating block next to nothing else? An enemy will probably spawn on that and start shooting. A sharp break in geometry near the floor? That's a good hint of an exposed basement section below to come, which will almost certainly hide a few easy kills. There's a neat choreography to how a good Pistol Whip level works. Its geometry organically forces your gaze to scan rapidly yet smoothly, as opposed to all over the place in a dreadful hurry.

The result feels more like a top-notch '90s arcade shooter than pretty much any VR fare that has launched thus far. When an interesting Pistol Whip level element unveils itself, often with a surprise reveal of gun-wielding goons, I get the same rush I remember from turning a crazy corner in a classic House of the Dead shooting sequence.

KiKaL

Oct 26, 2017
Great review. I only have played 30 minutes but that matches my thoughts. So far it's been a lot of fun. It hasn't really felt like a rhythm game but maybe I am just missing something. Highly recommend so far.

You will definitely work up a sweat playing it.

Enordash

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
Yea, the rhythm of Pistol Whip feels a little strange, but I am enjoying the hell out of it. I know people throw around the whole "it makes you feel like John Wick" rhetoric quite a bit, but honestly, it earns it here in my opinion.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
Yup loving Pistol Whip. I have been asking for two games to be remade in VR since VR became a thing, Virtua Racing and Virtua Cop. This game is Virtua Cop set to music in a John Wick aesthetic and its awesome. You move more than you do in Beatsaber and as you play the harder stages they get more creative with enemy placement.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
Not really enjoying Pistol Whip like I thought I would. None of the music is very good in my opinion and the rhythm just feels bizarre to shoot in step to. Maybe all the previews overhyped it a little bit too much as the next Beat Saber or something.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
Boneworks release date is going to be announced today.
Yes, finally!

t1573236000z4.png

Oct 25, 2017
I believe that Pistol Whip music beat game is also out today, interested to hear impressions. Looks cool.

Played through the first few levels. Quick impressions are that this game is legit. It really does make you sweat more than I thought it would. Have no issues with timing my shots to the rhythm of the music. Only becomes hard when shit goes a little crazy and I move to reaction mode. This will definitely be a fun game to demo to family and friends.

Only stopping because I don't want to be soaked in sweat for an appointment I have coming up, but looking forward to playing through more levels.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Will it be announced to be bought by Valve, and the game renamed to HL VR?
No, because HLVR is Source 2 and Boneworks is Unity. Some people keep thinking Boneworks is a Half Life game in disguise with the big reveal of the real assets still to come, but that's just wishful thinking.

Actually it's better this way, because we get HLVR and Boneworks instead of just the one - and HLVR will use lessons learned from Boneworks anyway. (and vice versa I imagine)

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, and with all due respect to the people behind Boneworks, if Valve releases a Half-Life game that looks like an indie Unity game I'll fly into a full on Gamer Rage. Boneworks looks cool, but in no way does it look like a AAA title made by a large company with deep pockets.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
To be honest, and with all due respect to the people behind Boneworks, if Valve releases a Half-Life game that looks like an indie Unity game I'll fly into a full on Gamer Rage. Boneworks looks cool, but in no way does it look like a AAA title made by a large company with deep pockets.
The expectation these people have is that all the assets are temporary and that it will get a complete visual overhaul to bring it to AAA standards. It's a bit of a stretch though.

Supposedly, Half Life VR will be one of the best looking VR games. I'd be surprised if it wasn't the most graphically impressive really.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
So, whats this about?
Nb8t4cN.png

Mostly see 3rd party EULA when there's been a second launcher (Uplay for instance).

Edit: ok, apparantly not that uncomon.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
Boneworks! Yesssss

I realize the game was developed with the Index "knuckles" in mind, but do we know how subpar of an experience it will be on Oculus? Will it be a subpar experience?
It will almost certainly work pretty much just as well. The Rift controllers are excelent and this game was designed to fully support WindowsMR, Oculus, Vive and Index.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So how convinving is the 3D effect in PSVR?, I am looking into getting one this BF. Is it best to get a set of good wireless headphones for it?, can I listen to it using my home theater audio instead?, is it cool to play regular PS4 movies on it using cinema mode or watch movies on it?, how scary is it if you're playing Resi 7 and somebody touches you while you play?

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So how convinving is the 3D effect in PSVR?, I am looking into getting one this BF. Is it best to get a set of good wireless headphones for it?, can I listen to it using my home theater audio instead?, is it cool to play regular PS4 movies on it using cinema mode or watch movies on it?, how scary is it if you're playing Resi 7 and somebody touches you while you play?
You came to the wrong neighborhood pal :P

As long as you have two working eyes the 3D feels life like and almost like you're really there. There's still room for improvement but it'll blow your mind the first time you experience the 3D and depth

You can listen to a surround sound system but its very much not recommended. Almost all games are designed specifically around headphones and that PSVR processing box handles the 3D/positional audio which probably wouldn't translate well to surround sound.

I personally don't enjoy using the cinema mode on PSVR. I know a ton of people do tho so your mileage may very. You're able to view 3D Blu Rays on it too.
Don't know if you can view 3D videos off a USB stick or not. You can install littlestar to play 3D videos off a USB stick but I've heard its a pain to use but the option is available to you. Think they may have made it a paid feature recently too?

RE7 is very spooky. I played it entirely in PSVR over the course of a 24 hour period. I didn't have anyone touch me while playing it but I made my friend who watched me play swear to not do anything to me lol.
Took me 10 hours from start to finish with breaks and it was hands down one of the best gaming experiences I've had. Wish they brought it over to PC tho since the PS4 struggles with it (can look pretty blurry at times) but it's an absolute must play.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018

You came to the wrong neighborhood pal :P

As long as you have two working eyes the 3D feels life like and almost like you're really there. There's still room for improvement but it'll blow your mind the first time you experience the 3D and depth

You can listen to a surround sound system but its very much not recommended. Almost all games are designed specifically around headphones and that PSVR processing box handles the 3D/positional audio which probably wouldn't translate well to surround sound.

I personally don't enjoy using the cinema mode on PSVR. I know a ton of people do tho so your mileage may very. You're able to view 3D Blu Rays on it too.
Don't know if you can view 3D videos off a USB stick or not. You can install littlestar to play 3D videos off a USB stick but I've heard its a pain to use but the option is available to you. Think they may have made it a paid feature recently too?

RE7 is very spooky. I played it entirely in PSVR over the course of a 24 hour period. I didn't have anyone touch me while playing it but I made my friend who watched me play swear to not do anything to me lol.
Took me 10 hours from start to finish with breaks and it was hands down one of the best gaming experiences I've had. Wish they brought it over to PC tho since the PS4 struggles with it (can look pretty blurry at times) but it's an absolute must play.

The 3D effect is WAY beyond 3D cinema and TV's if that's what you're getting at, but PSVR specifically is not really "life like". It comes pretty close, but the sense of scale is never quite right, in my experience usually appearing maybe 20% off. I'm guessing it's some combination of PSVR having no awareness of the real world floor or player height, it's lack of physical IPD adjustment (relying on software correction that most developers either don't use or translate wrong), and the related/associated lens distortion/artifacts for anyone outside of the 63mm sweet spot. It's still an insanely cool experience though and that 6 game Black Friday bundle will almost assuredly be the best $199 you've ever spent.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Not to "throw you out" or anything, and the community here is as you see quite helpful, but you might get more relevant answers in the PSVR thread: