• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Has to be Asgard's Wrath since releases this week. I remember reading impressions from E3 (?) saying it wasn't very fun, but maybe it's been cleaned up a lot since then.
Why would the review come out next week if the game is out this week?

Is it possible Boneworks is going to have a stealth release? It was initially put down as coming out around this time.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Why would the review come out next week if the game is out this week?

Is it possible Boneworks is going to have a stealth release? It was initially put down as coming out around this time.

Boneworks makes the most sense (assuming the dates eliminate Asgard's Wrath).

People are hyping themselves up for a Valve game, but that makes literally zero sense. And he also says it's a game we know about. Valve won't even tell us the title of their supposed title that's releasing this year. I don't consider that a known game.

Yes but there's not a decades long back catalog so sales are less frequent and usually not as steep.

I don't know my IPD number anyway so I just move it until it feels ok.

Right their with you. Quest kind of gives you a grid in one of the setup programs. Adjust to the spot that gives you the sharpest picture over the fullest area. What if I have sunken eyes and I'm abnormally far from the lens? Or what if my facial structure allows me to be abnormally close to the lens? Surely distance from the lens plays some role. I've always felt it's best to just adjust based on what gives the highest clarity and not worry about the number.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
More tweets:

The embodied interactions part makes me think of Boneworks, though Asgard does apparently have a strong emphasis on IK movements. All this teasing and a week plus wait! I need to know.

edit: And this:

EGTja09U4AAPbHO

An existing IP would rule out Asgard and Boneworks. Metroidvania, sim lite...I got nothin lol.

Last edited:

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know good games to get used to walking in VR with the thumbstick?

I'm playing Serious Sam and it's a ton of fun but it fucks me up. Doesn't help that I'm prone to motion sickness.

I already got my VR legs when it comes to playing in general (would get dizzy at first, now I can play for extended periods) but walking with a thumbstick is still an issue.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH

I'm playing Serious Sam and it's a ton of fun but it fucks me up. Doesn't help that I'm prone to motion sickness.

I already got my VR legs when it comes to playing in general (would get dizzy at first, now I can play for extended periods) but walking with a thumbstick is still an issue.

No Man's Sky is a good one...other than that I think the popular multiplayer shooters do it the best. Onward, Pavlov, Contractors. None of them are too fast paced...just don't used smooth turning with the right thumbstick. Make sure you keep snap turn on.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

Because of the existing IP, I was going to suggest Borderlands. But LOL. That tweet would never describe that.

Out of curiosity, have you gone into the comfort settings? The Croteam games are amazing for this. I have trouble with locomotion too, but if I crank up the vignetting in the options menus, it's great. If you really dial everything towards comfort, these games should be as tame as you're going to find.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
No Man's Sky is a good one...other than that I think the popular multiplayer shooters do it the best. Onward, Pavlov, Contractors. None of them are too fast paced...just don't used smooth turning with the right thumbstick. Make sure you keep snap turn on.

That's great to hear! I've been meaning to try the game out as well but I was worried about walking. Thanks!

Out of curiosity, have you gone into the comfort settings? The Croteam games are amazing for this. I have trouble with locomotion too, but if I crank up the vignetting in the options menus, it's great. If you really dial everything towards comfort, these games should be as tame as you're going to find.

Hmm, I'll have to check out more of their options to be honest, I didn't mess around with them too much. (I also love how many options Crotream allows in their games but it can be overwhelming sometimes lol).

Thanks!

Try something slower paced. Gorn or Compound maybe?

Yeah I'm fine in GORN but I'm sure that's because of the weird walking system haha. I'll look into Compound, thank you!

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

There are various different locomotion settings you can use for Serious Sam. You can switch to teleport if you want

Albin

Jun 29, 2018
Ok, so Mod Saber isn't working anymore? Which mod-program can I use now? Tried Beat Drop, but that doesn't seem to work with 1.4 :(

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently there's a Predator VR game on the way. Looks not bad. Has a single player campaign mode, Predator v humans multiplayer, and a mode that sounds like you just go beast as the Predator on AI.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I tried that (I use it for Talos) and it worked fine but that's not Serious Sam to me. It's one of THE run n gun games.

Yeah. It's not natural. As I said, though, Croteam is a great training tool. There should be some level of vignetting (when moving) that won't make you sick. And you could gradually reduce it (ideally) as you got more and more comfortable. In that sense, these are great games to start with.

Also, either disable joystick turning or at least switch to snap turning.

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017

Onward was one of the first VR games that had only smooth locomotion and it worked.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017

Now I'm back to thinking this is Asgard's Wrath he's talking about...the review embargo for it lifts at 1AM PST on 10/9, and given that's not very far away and his comment on not fielding questions so he can get it published sooner to meet the embargo it kinda lines up. Also someone thinks the prior tweet about it being an existing IP may have been a joke related to Norse mythology themed games in general sooo...we'll find out soon enough I suppose.

Kinda surprised Facebook/Oculus hasn't put more press behind this release, its a 30 hour action rpg with a whopping 121 gb install size. You'd think a game of this magnitude would be a big deal for VR and Oculus and want to promote it more heavily. I get it small install base and what have you just think this would at least get more chatter from some of the bigger outlets ahead of release. Maybe they're saving their push for it post release which is one way to do it I suppose.

edit: And now I just saw this one so don't know what to think. Back to square one I guess.

Last edited:

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
I'm glad some people are having fun with all that but it does nothing for me: I'm not a fan of these embargoed hype-filled teases that somehow always end up disappointing the same people.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Now I'm back to thinking this is Asgard's Wrath he's talking about...the review embargo for it lifts at 1AM PST on 10/9, and given that's not very far away and his comment on not fielding questions so he can get it published sooner to meet the embargo it kinda lines up. Also someone thinks the prior tweet about it being an existing IP may have been a joke related to Norse mythology themed games in general sooo...we'll find out soon enough I suppose.

Kinda surprised Facebook/Oculus hasn't put more press behind this release, its a 30 hour action rpg with a whopping 121 gb install size. You'd think a game of this magnitude would be a big deal for VR and Oculus and want to promote it more heavily. I get it small install base and what have you just think this would at least get more chatter from some of the bigger outlets ahead of release. Maybe they're saving their push for it post release which is one way to do it I suppose.

edit: And now I just saw this one so don't know what to think. Back to square one I guess.

I'm guessing it's Boneworks since it's getting a release date soon

edit: reading the comments and maybe it is Asgards Wrath lol

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of feel like Oculus have given up promoting their Rift games after Marvel bombed. Defector came out in the summer and they barely did any promotion for it outside of posting a few tiny gameplay clips to reddit.

DuppoloGAF

Oct 28, 2017
im out of vr for some times...they will let oculus wireless magic to have some kind of hand recognition such as the one for the index? could i be playing boneworks with oculus? is it an open system where i can easily buy on steam and play on oculus or not?

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
I really like my PSVR, but image quality is terrible in most games.
So, I was thinking about using my pc (8700k + 1080ti) for VR.
However, I cannot decide if I should buy Kinect v2 (to enable 6dof on a pc) and use PSVR+moves for playing or buy a new headset.

I think that I could supersample most games to 1080p (and get better IQ on PSVR), but if you think it's better to go a different route, please tell.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking at gameplay for Asgard's Wrath and this can't be what he's praising so much, can it? Maybe it's a real looks can be deceiving kind of game.

Well it probably isn't seeing as the reviews for Asgard at Upload VR and Road to VR (where he's published reviews) aren't written by him. Though who knows maybe he's writing it for a different outlet, the reviews for Asgard are pretty positive so far, with the Upload VR one calling it the best VR game to date and it also mentions Metroidvania elements.

Asgard's Wrath is not only a step forward for Sanzaru Games as a development studio, but also a fundamental advancement for VR games in general. It's a captivating experience full of enchanting adventure from start to finish. When people buy a headset with the idea of visiting strange, beautiful, and rich new worlds full of exciting things they can only do in VR, this is the type of game they're imagining. There are some small gripes here and there and it's not perfect by any means, but it's certainly the best VR game yet that I've played. After over 25 hours of questing through the realms of Norse mythology, all I can think about is the laundry list of things I've still yet to discover. Asgard's Wrath is, from top to bottom, an extraordinary accomplishment.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
The game is fully playable with any SteamVR compatible VR headset and tracked controllers.
It works with any pair of Vive wands, Oculus Touch controllers or Valve Index knuckles.

oh good, the trailer looked fun but the finger movement kinda made me worry.

I wish I could play Asgards Wrath on my vive though.
Looks like it'll be a lot of fun.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well it probably isn't seeing as the reviews for Asgard at Upload VR and Road to VR (where he's published reviews) aren't written by him. Though who knows maybe he's writing it for a different outlet, the reviews for Asgard are pretty positive so far, with the Upload VR one calling it the best VR game to date and it also mentions Metroidvania elements.

That sounds great. Looks like the initial impression is off to a good start

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just pre-purchase Asgard's Wrath. The fomo is getting to me, and there are some pre-purchase exclusive weapons

Albin

Jun 29, 2018
Tips on short horror games to show a group of people new to VR? I'm thinking Dont Blink and Emily Wants to Play, but are there any other games?

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
The combat system in Asgard sounds a bit deeper than I expected, this is from an Oculus rep (may be a dev on it too not sure):

Physics are a part of the combat system, but there's much more going on under the hood than a pure physics simulation. I don't believe that a pure physics simulation could sustain a game this long. I think people would get bored, or they'd find one thing that works and exploit it. We've done a ton of work to prevent exploits. For example, if you hold your arm out and wiggle your wrist quickly, not only does it not count as a hit, but you're going to trigger an enemy attack that disarms you.

I'll copy what I've posted elsewhere about combat:

There are several enemy types throughout the game. At the most basic level they either have runic shields or they don't.

An enemy without runic shields is vulnerable and can be taken out however you want. Their health is represented by the green bar above their head.

An enemy with runic shields (the blue bar above their head) has to have them removed before they are vulnerable.

To make the shields vulnerable, you have to parry an enemies signature attack with velocity. Signature attacks have a blue visual effect around them. It is not enough to just block them.

Enemies also have a red bar above their head. This is their rage meter. Filling it up is the only way to trigger a signature attack from an enemy. You can fill it up by blocking attacks, dodging lethal attacks which have red visual fx and are unblockable, or by attacking the enemy with certain weaponry, like ranged weapons.

If you're hit with a signature or lethal attack it disarms you. Weapons can immediately be re-equipped from the location that you had them slotted on your avatar - we don't expect you to look for them on the ground.

Once a signature attack has been parried, you have a brief window to strike the enemy to remove on of their runic shield charges. Enemies can have up to 5.

Attacks that cause status ailments, like poison, bleed, burn, etc. will damage an enemies green health bar without removing their shields, but you can't kill enemies this way.

Each playable hero has upgrades to their signature weapons that unlock additional combat abilities. These require charges to use. Charges can be earned by killing enemies or via a special potion. Some of the more powerful weapon abilities will instantly put enemies in a stun state, allowing you to quickly dispatch their shields. Also, later weapon upgrades can remove two shield charges at once.

The intent of the whole system is to require the player to go toe to toe with the enemies. Blocking, dodging, and parrying is key to success. Crafting upgrades makes you much more effective if you know how to use them.

We've done a lot of work to prevent and punish exploits. You can't just wiggle your arm and be successful. If you try that not only will it not work, but you're usually immediately disarmed.

There are lots of items that can buff you and your animal followers in combat.

We realize that not everyone wants an experience this deep and may just want to experience the story / world / puzzles. We have three difficulty settings. The lowest one removes the parry requirement. You can go pure hack n slash on the shields this way. The highest difficulty requires more velocity on parries, speeds the enemies up, and increases their damage output making for a more difficult experience.

We also give you the option to turn off the enemy indicator UI if you prefer immersion and want to play based on visual tells alone.

Good to hear you can't cheese melee combat with waggling.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Rift S is getting delivered today, what's considered some of the best online multiplayer games?

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that there are so many games to rule out

I bet this feels even more badass to play. Is there a scoring system explanation somewhere?

Not sure, the uploadVR article just mentions perfecting a level run for higher scores. Also did you mean to write something more after "rule out"?

This guy is givin me a headache at this point...

RmsRELI.png

The Oculus rep that's been doing PR on reddit for Asgard seems convinced its a review for that. Not sure why Gabriel would still be silent on what it was for if it was Asgard since the embargo is up for that. Are we gonna get a surprise media blowout for something else tomorrow? Would be odd timing with the Asgard release. I mean hey I'm all for a surprise shadow drop don't get me wrong, just find this teasing a bit odd since there doesn't seem to be any other press rumblings for something VR related coming from anyone else.