• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Reading these recommendations. I already bought a couple but going to get artika.1 and to the top for sure. Can anyone recommend ArchAngel? The concept seems neat and it is available as a daily deal in the oculus store today.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
tbh this is probably a good thing. Power through it. Exposure is the best therapy for anxiety and you know it's much easier to bail in this than real life engagements. So you can build skills here to help you tackle it irl.

I really think VR is gonna be an amazing tool for Psychologists. You can expose people to things without risks.

Yeah, I've been trying to. Although there have been immediate improvements in other games, I went to play FFXIV about a day later, and I have social anxiety in that game too, but when I compared it to VRchat it felt like a drop in a bucket, and kinda helped me get over some small social anxieties I had always had difficulties with in that game.

Is there a name for the feeling when you come out of a multi-hour VR session and real life seems weird and dizzy?

Almost everyone I know has had that moment when they get out of VR, and suddenly typing is REALLY hard because you're used to how your hands look in VR, and feel like your real hands are fake. It actually made a few hilarious moments due to our reactions.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Lone Echo working fine on Revive without any fidgeting on my part. Just set graphics to High and that's it.
Noticed a couple of re-projection skips at one point but was so insignificant I don't feel need to look into it (we'll see later in the game as I guess things gets increasingly dramatic).

Lakuza

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Uploaded the 3rd part to my 2nd playthrough of Chronos:

A couple of deaths, beat the boss on my first attempt though :D

Lone Echo working fine on Revive without any fidgeting on my part. Just set graphics to High and that's it.
Noticed a couple of re-projection skips at one point but was so insignificant I don't feel need to look into it (we'll see later in the game as I guess things gets increasingly dramatic).

glad to hear its working, hope you enjoy it :D

EDIT:
Arktika.1 and archangel are the current daily flash sale.

Last edited:

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
So what's the word and/or chances for a new edition from Vive or Oculus this year?

1st order if business is to get some ventilation inside these headsets and more of a crown-like head support.
2nd is that we need 'official' wireless support (I would totally understand it being an add-on as it will help them reach a wider audience with a cheaper base-headset).
3rd is to lift the screen resolution to be ~2K per eye (from today's ~1K).
4th is to have built-in headphones like the Rift (and Vive premium add-on).
Oculus Touch is fine and The Vive Knuckles seems like they're about ready to go.

It would really tighten up the overall product if those were part of the default package.
Eyetracking and such will be cool but I would be quite satisfied with the above for version 2.

Lakuza

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So what's the word and/or chances for a new edition from Vive or Oculus this year?

1st order if business is to get some ventilation inside these headsets and more of a crown-like head support.
2nd is that we need 'official' wireless support (I would totally understand it being an add-on as it will help them reach a wider audience with a cheaper base-headset).
Oculus Touch is fine and The Vive Knuckles seems like they're about ready to go.

It would really tighten up the overall product if those were part of the default package.
Eyetracking and such will be cool but I would be quite satisfied with the above for version 2.

I don't know if we'll get a vive 2, not sure if valve want to make one with openVR being supported by multiple companies now, they've kinda done what they wanted to which is to provide the platform and tech for companies use for their own headsets.

Oculus, I can't see them releasing any new rift headset within the same year they announce it. At best I think we'll get an announcment at OC5 conference around october saying they're working on a new one with a potential release for 2019 or 2020, thats being super optimistic though since their focus is on the mobile headsets right now.

Deleted member 11832

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Organ Quarter is flooring me. A must have. It is a full fledged survival horror game in the vein of Silent Hill. While the production value isn't high (it often ogles toward low-end PS2 graphicwise), the gameplay execution is absolutely on point, and the ambiance is there.

I just finished it (took me about 4 hours) and I've been thoroughly impressed. It's not about cheap "scary" jumpscares, it's all about the immersion into the world, combat that is about saving your scarce resources, and good level exploration and puzzles. I did not expect anything coming in, it ended up being my favorite single player game so far. Quite the surprise hit.

I heartily recommend it.

Last edited:

Iorv3th

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks all.

It's interesting, I rarely ever get simulation sickness but after long sessions I get this, sort of a opposite of simulation sickness

The feeling where everything seems like your still in VR but your not and your brain is confused? I have that happen after long sessions.

I also recently had a weird dream where I kept 'toggling' from real life to VR and got so mad I couldn't just turn the VR off but then I woke up.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My prescription Vive lenses finally came in today:

DRyQl8CUEAAj5Gx.jpg:large

My vive is now pretty damn decked out:

DRySdxxVoAAz_RJ.jpg

-TpCast running OpenTPCast firmware
-Deluxe Audio Strap
-Vive n Chill coolers
-Prescription VRLens.eu lenses

about to test it out

Crash331

Oct 28, 2017
I just picked up Sairento. Holy cow, how is nobody talking about this game? It's at the top of my favorite list along with Lone Echo and RE7. Granted, I've only played about an hour of it, but if it's just more of this and with upgrades, I'm sold.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, those VR prescription lenses make an enormous difference! Everything is way, way more crisp and clear in my vive. Just like wearing my glasses IRL, it's night and damn day in VR. I'm floored.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, those VR prescription lenses make an enormous difference! Everything is way, way more crisp and clear in my vive. Just like wearing my glasses IRL, it's night and damn day in VR. I'm floored.

Yep! First accessory I purchased for my Vive way back when, and a super important. Required purchase for anyone who's nearsighted imo, unless they wear contacts.

Edit: Looks at thread title... :(

Y'know, trying to separate hardware and software PCVR threads was a valiant effort, but I think it may be an unwinnable battle.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep! First accessory I purchased for my Vive way back when, and a super important. Required purchase for anyone who's nearsighted imo, unless they wear contacts.

I'm not nearsighted, but I have bad astigmatism. I'm really shocked at how clear the display is now. These are from VRLens.eu, not VRLensLab. I went with VRLens.eu because they use concave lenses that don't cause barrel distortion.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not nearsighted, but I have bad astigmatism. I'm really shocked at how clear the display is now. These are from VRLens.eu, not VRLensLab. I went with VRLens.eu because they use concave lenses that don't cause barrel distortion.

Yep, I've actually owned both because VRLens.eu didn't used to exist. VRLens.eu is waaaaay better.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just picked up Sairento. Holy cow, how is nobody talking about this game? It's at the top of my favorite list along with Lone Echo and RE7. Granted, I've only played about an hour of it, but if it's just more of this and with upgrades, I'm sold.
Indeed, Sairento VR needs more talk. I think lots of other VR games need attention too with their quality.
I was on board the early access for quite a long while, there's a new update for it recently too.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017

I'm not sure how you do this, since you have to prevent light from getting in. You can try to make the part that actually covers your face smaller, but I think that's going to be especially hard as we aim for bigger FOVs.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm browsing the thread but am really looking for a game that is similar to Batman Arkham VR - more about being in a super realistic space dripping with detail, atmosphere, story, etc. No movement other than your own (plus teleporting). Any suggestions there?

I still return to Arkham VR a lot and haven't found anything that comes close to it yet. I'll hang out on that title screen for like 10 minutes straight.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017

Oculus wont release a new Rift until foveated rendering is good to go, they don't want to release a minor revision with only slightly higher resolution lenses. I'd imagine it will have foveated rendering, 4k lenses, wider FOV, updated Touch controllers, perhaps some combination of inside out tracking + external sensor? Foveated rendering is a huge necessity for next gen headsets, otherwise everyone will need 1180/2080 Ampere/Volta next gen Nvidia cards just to run the headsets without constant reprojection/ASW.

I am not so sure if they will make it wireless, that would add an extra $200-300 to the cost of the headset, adds weight and has a battery life. VR headset sales didn't take off until Oculus lowered their price to $400 and Vive to $600, wireless options would mean launching for over $1k in price.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm browsing the thread but am really looking for a game that is similar to Batman Arkham VR - more about being in a super realistic space dripping with detail, atmosphere, story, etc. No movement other than your own (plus teleporting). Any suggestions there?

I still return to Arkham VR a lot and haven't found anything that comes close to it yet. I'll hang out on that title screen for like 10 minutes straight.
I think LA Noire The VR Case Files is great. The initial case or two is limiting (designed more for dipping your feet into the game), and the 3rd case onwards you get to access the huge open world. The NPCs walking around, the traffic with the cars etc, its a living city where you can just drive or roam around.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
why is job simulator so praised? Hadn't been very fun or funny. Does infinite overtime change the game into something amazing? Feel like I wasted 20 bucks.

Crash331

Oct 28, 2017
Indeed, Sairento VR needs more talk. I think lots of other VR games need attention too with their quality.
I was on board the early access for quite a long while, there's a new update for it recently too.

I bought a ton of Steam cards at Target during their B1G1 25% off sale and I'm adding titles to my wishlist. What else should I look at? So far I have picked up Gorn, H3VR, Pavlov, Onward, Sparc and The Wizards.

Blabadon

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Probably the cost man. It's an indie game in a crowded storefront that needs to break that cycle of expensive indie VR games.

Crash331

Oct 28, 2017
Probably the cost man. It's an indie game in a crowded storefront that needs to break that cycle of expensive indie VR games.

$25 is too costly? You already spent $400-800 on a VR headset and at least $500 on a PC and then another $100+ on a GPU.

If you want games priced like mobile games (<$10) then you can't bitch when they are all "VR Shovelware".

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
why is job simulator so praised? Hadn't been very fun or funny. Does infinite overtime change the game into something amazing? Feel like I wasted 20 bucks.

One of the first "good" VR games, it's also a good demo game for non gamers or in groups. Otherwise there's been much more exciting games released since.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I think Sairento gets talked about pretty frequently actually. It is on the Vive subreddit at least. Just about as much as Raw Data due to the action similarities.

Eh. Depends on how near-sighted you are. I am, but wearing glasses doesn't have any effect for me in the headset. If I remember correctly I think I read somewhere the focal distance in current hmds is around 1.5 meters which would check out since that's about as far as I can see clearly without glasses.

Last edited:

Crash331

Oct 28, 2017
Just did another hour in sairento. I am usually a super wuss about getting sick in VR. I get hot, sweaty and pukey if anything is fast-paced at all. Not so with Sairento. I know I sound like a fanboy cheerleader, but aside from driving games, this is the most I have been able to play VR without getting queasy.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
If you keep playing more of it you'll probably find it will improve your tolerance in other fast paced games as well.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Just did another hour in sairento. I am usually a super wuss about getting sick in VR. I get hot, sweaty and pukey if anything is fast-paced at all. Not so with Sairento. I know I sound like a fanboy cheerleader, but aside from driving games, this is the most I have been able to play VR without getting queasy.

I got really sweaty using the sliding. Granted, it was in the beginning of my VR gaming so that might be the reason.

Crash331

Oct 28, 2017
I got really sweaty using the sliding. Granted, it was in the beginning of my VR gaming so that might be the reason.

I had back surgery a few years ago (it's one reason I appreciate options like snap turning and the ability to play some games seated) so I don't get to do a lot of crouching or things like that in VR. I love that Sairento lets you set the crouching position. I can just barely bend my knees and it triggers a crouch. I wish more games did this.

Although there was 1 skill that mentioned a ground pound activated by crouching with a hand near the floor. I haven't tried that yet, but it will be a bummer if I'm physically locked out of that skill.

Lakuza

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Onward is on 40% discount, which I think is the biggest discount to date. I only played in coop PvE with friends, but it's been fun. Especially the evac mode gets really hectic.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/496240/Onward/
it was cheaper when it was on the oculus flash sale which I stupidly missed out on. Will most likely get this before the sale ends but pavlov is cheaper right now so might get that 1st in prep for the battle royale mode.

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017
It was cheaper because it's inferior ;)
SteamVR version is both OculusVR and OpenVR compatible (so Windows Mixed Reality, Pimax, etc), while Oculus Store version is only compatible with Oculus.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think LA Noire The VR Case Files is great. The initial case or two is limiting (designed more for dipping your feet into the game), and the 3rd case onwards you get to access the huge open world. The NPCs walking around, the traffic with the cars etc, its a living city where you can just drive or roam around.

I was wondering about this game precisely. It's even a detective game, too, so right up my alley. Truly hope we see a lot more of these types of experiences where you essentially investigate highly detailed, moody environments.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Is there a huge difference from just wearing your glasses?

I mean, I mostly use contact lenses for VR (and in general) but I wouldn't think that there would be a big difference (other than comfort) with VR-specific lenses instead of glasses.

Lucky Forward

Oct 27, 2017
Eh. Depends on how near-sighted you are. I am, but wearing glasses doesn't have any effect for me in the headset. If I remember correctly I think I read somewhere the focal distance in current hmds is around 1.5 meters which would check out since that's about as far as I can see clearly without glasses.

FWIW, this reddit poster measured the focal distance at 75cm:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4gbhny/vive_focus_distance_is_75_cm/

I wear progressive lenses which won't really work for VR because of the way the focal distance varies continuously from the top of the lens (distance) to the bottom (reading). Before I bought my Vive I checked my unaided eyes at that 75cm distance, and luckily for me that is my sweet spot where text on my monitor is very sharp. So I took the plunge, bought my Vive, and I found that I can see the individual pixels of the SDE in sharp focus (although I forget about seeing pixels when I'm immersed in a game.) So I guess I'm fortunate in that regard and I don't know if buying VR lenses could possibly improve the experience for me.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, that explains the massive difference you've seen. Congrats on your new-found clarity!

That said, I'd still be interested in a comparison between Vive with glasses and with the custom lenses. As I said, I'd expect that to be primarily a comfort difference rather than an optical one.

Well i just tried and i can squeeze my glasses into the vive headset, although i have no need to now, but my father wears bigger glasses and has never been able to wear them in any vr headset hes tried, so he just uses his vr headsets without glasses. And his vision is way worse than mine, so his prescription lenses are pretty essential.

Whats weird about these lenses is that i can make out what i call the texture of the screen now. Where are black was before just a dark smear, there is now a texture to it. Not distracting but noticeable. Everything else is also way, way crisper. Even text seems easier to read.

Blabadon

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
From Other Suns at $20 and Racket Fury (which I just refunded) is $4 today as part of Oculus' daily deals. I might get Racket Fury again lol.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Well i just tried and i can squeeze my glasses into the vive headset, although i have no need to now, but my father wears bigger glasses and has never been able to wear them in any vr headset hes tried, so he just uses his vr headsets without glasses. And his vision is way worse than mine, so his prescription lenses are pretty essential.

Whats weird about these lenses is that i can make out what i call the texture of the screen now. Where are black was before just a dark smear, there is now a texture to it. Not distracting but noticeable. Everything else is also way, way crisper. Even text seems easier to read.
I think what you mean by texture is the illuminated green sub-pixels. Those don't turn off completely. Turning them off entirely and then on again has some small associated delay, resulting in smearing, so they keep them lit at the lowest possible intensity.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
FWIW, this reddit poster measured the focal distance at 75cm:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4gbhny/vive_focus_distance_is_75_cm/

I wear progressive lenses which won't really work for VR because of the way the focal distance varies continuously from the top of the lens (distance) to the bottom (reading). Before I bought my Vive I checked my unaided eyes at that 75cm distance, and luckily for me that is my sweet spot where text on my monitor is very sharp. So I took the plunge, bought my Vive, and I found that I can see the individual pixels of the SDE in sharp focus (although I forget about seeing pixels when I'm immersed in a game.) So I guess I'm fortunate in that regard and I don't know if buying VR lenses could possibly improve the experience for me.
Cool. Thanks for the link.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My 67 year old dad dropped by to try his new prescription lenses:

DR1RfiwVQAAi-YX.jpg

He's playing rez. He'd played rez before, but without his glasses. He said that before, all the particle effects smeared together into what looked like a translucent mist. With the lenses, he got to see Rez the way it's supposed to look. His mouth went agape several times during his play session, lol. Also, he was much better at rez this time for some reason, getting a 94% shoot down ratio.

Definitely recommend the lenses.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think what you mean by texture is the illuminated green sub-pixels. Those don't turn off completely. Turning them off entirely and then on again has some small associated delay, resulting in smearing, so they keep them lit at the lowest possible intensity.

Perhaps. It's not uniform, it almost looks like really dark clouds, if that's descriptive. I can also discern individual pixels better than I could before when they are illuminated, so that sounds logical.

I know I keep raving about these prescription lenses but this is really cool shit to me. Prescription lenses are something that I'd been talking about for VR since the DK1 days, it's nice to have them finally come to fruition and for them to meet my expectations. I feel really good buying from a small business, too. VRLens.eu is a tiny company, and these are even 3D printed at home.

All this really reminds me of the early days of home computing, back in the 1980's and early 90s. I'm actually in the middle of an Amiga 1200 towerization project, and my dad and I have been geeking out about how fun and much more hardcore being a hobbyist computer fan was back in the day. Like, we are soldering custom components onto our amiga and building a tower from scratch, because thats what was expected if you were a power users back in those days. Being able to buy 3D printed parts and disassembling TPCast to install custom firmwares... something almost romantic about it.