• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I dont think it needs reminder but just in case, Beat Saber vol 2, vol 3 and campaign is already available

The only thing holding me back from buying the dlc is that I'm hoping for an announcement for the Quest. I don't think we'll get cross buy and I'd rather have everything on that platform if I'm going to get (I'm pretty sure I will).

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Has Beat Saber update broken mods? Took multiple restarts to figure out custom songs seems to be on the bottom bar now, but I can't find the song browser

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Yes download the latest release and hit update.

https://github.com/lolPants/modsaber-installer/releases/tag/v1.4.2

It doesn't let you download songs in-game right now but you can still manually download them from beat saver and use the custom songs you already have.

Yeah updated to get existing songs back but not browser

Can I still download with a chrome extension or have to do it manually for now?

Edit: hold on, i'm Using Beat Saber mod installer - latest is for December I think. There are different mod managers? Argh. Anyway I got custom songs back for now

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
It will be interesting to see what the Oculus Rift S ends up being (to be formally announced next week) : https://uploadvr.com/oculus-email-rift-s/

"Rift S was first revealed in a TechCrunch report in October of last year. The report revealed the headset would be an iterative update, increasing resolution and changing to the same inside-out tracking system as the upcoming Oculus Quest VR console. Last month, we discovered references in the Oculus PC software code to a 'Rift S' with onboard cameras. Our findings also suggest that Rift S will have software-based IPD handling, as opposed to lens separation adjustment found on the current Rift."

Will it include chipset for processing the camera feeds? If not then this device is doomed to be wired. No way there's bandwidth to send camera feeds in both directions. Releasing a wired-only device now seems pretty short-sighted and would signal that Oculus is not taking the PC market that seriously.

If it includes chipset however for internal processing: Will there be a wireless option/add-on from day one?

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
It will be interesting to see what the Oculus Rift S ends up being (to be formally announced next week) : https://uploadvr.com/oculus-email-rift-s/

"Rift S was first revealed in a TechCrunch report in October of last year. The report revealed the headset would be an iterative update, increasing resolution and changing to the same inside-out tracking system as the upcoming Oculus Quest VR console. Last month, we discovered references in the Oculus PC software code to a 'Rift S' with onboard cameras. Our findings also suggest that Rift S will have software-based IPD handling, as opposed to lens separation adjustment found on the current Rift."

Will it include chipset for processing the camera feeds? If not then this device is doomed to be wired. No way there's bandwidth to send camera feeds in both directions. Releasing a wired-only device now seems pretty short-sighted and would signal that Oculus is not taking the PC market that seriously.

If it includes chipset however for internal processing: Will there be a wireless option/add-on from day one?
Kind of want a Rift just so I can play their games more natively without Revive. Very curious to see the real details and price on this. Personally I don't think it will be cheaper though.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I may end up getting both but a little conflicted over whether to get S or Quest depending on how final feature specs end up shaking out on the former. S is certainly looking more tempting if it has inside-out tracking plus a wireless option or add-on.

Also potential Knuckles release (or pre-orders) this week too is making me feel giddy about VR release hype in a way I haven't felt since CV1 for Rift/Vive. That alongside Google console reveal is making for one exciting GDC.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I just saw that -- I have no time to create a thread for it though there should probably be one.

JarrodL

Oct 27, 2017
Me 1 hour ago: Let's try Knockout League, looks like fun and I could use a workout.

Me now:

1FYD.gif

What ... the hell ... was I ... thinking?

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I just saw that -- I have no time to create a thread for it though there should probably be one.

Did you find it odd that every single major player was quoted minus Valve. Joe Ludwig was basically carrying this thing on his back when it first started and there's not a single quote in that press release. Very peculiar to say the least.

Last edited:

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Going from OLED -> LCD; 90hz -> 80hz; lesser tracking system; lower quality headphones...

Seems like an out & out downgrade, or rather a lower-end grade. I don't think I'm the target audience at all. Hopefully Oculus has a high end HMD somewhere down the line. But I wasn't one scrabbling for a new headset anyways.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Already own an Oculus Rift but thinking of picking up an Oculus Quest? Don't worry; you probably won't have to pay for the same app twice.

Oculus today confirmed that games and experiences appearing on both platforms can support cross-buy and cross-play. Cross-buy means if you've bought a game on Rift over the past few years that's coming to Quest when it launches this Spring, your Oculus account will recognize the previous purchase and let you download the Quest version free of charge. Similarly if, after a bit of Quest ownership, you decide to pick up a PC VR headset suchs as the newly-announced Oculus Rift S, your PC Oculus Store account will already have your pre-bought Quest games waiting to be played again.

At a GDC event earlier this week VP of Content Jason Rubin explained that the decision to support cross-buy was ultimately up to developers. That said, Rubin noted Oculus expected most to support the scheme. Games with more sizable differences between Quest and Rift may opt to charge for both, though.

https://uploadvr.com/rift-quest-cross-buy/

I'll wait until they release a full list of titles that will be cross buy but this makes me a lot more interested in picking up the Quest.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Space Junkies open beta is really fun! I played the closed beta and it's much improved, highly recommend it. People are rating it low because they don't know how to link your ubisoft account...like, just look it up, lol.

atom519

Oct 28, 2017
Space Junkies open beta is really fun! I played the closed beta and it's much improved, highly recommend it. People are rating it low because they don't know how to link your ubisoft account...like, just look it up, lol.

Next day I could barely lift my arms over my head... Next couple of sessions weren't so bad.

I shilled for that game pretty hard while in early access, I absolutely love it and think they did a fantastic job of making a punch out equivalent in VR.

Edit:. Accidentally quoted the wrong post - was meant for Knockout League.

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
which of the serious sam game is the best? I'm mainly interested in The Last Hope, don't care much about 1-3, is The Last Hope good?

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
GDC was a bit of a bummer overall for VR news, the Rift S is a whatever upgrade aside from the inside out tracking inclusion, and outside that HP headset nothing looked that great. We already knew general impressions on the Quest from the last Oculus Connect, and I was hopeful for at least pre-orders to go up for it. Also Valve being MIA yet again for Knuckles or anything VR news related is frustrating. Grain of salt obviously but reading a supposed dev's post in r/vive earlier gave me some hope, they mentioned Knuckles was pretty much in the final phases of testing and outside some breakage issues with straps and clips it's more or less ready for primetime. With Valve though who knows.

It threw me for a loop reading earlier that the last Steam Dev Days was in 2016, and then Valve said something along the lines of "nobody will be disappointed" by what they have to show for the following year's Dev Days wrt the three VR games they'd been working on. Valve Time amirite :/

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
Is Rift CV1 getting straight up discontinued or what. Reading its going out of stock all over but on the webpage I'm looking at I can still buy it directly from Oculus.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Is Rift CV1 getting straight up discontinued or what. Reading its going out of stock all over but on the webpage I'm looking at I can still buy it directly from Oculus.

Personally I'm worried this may be the case, although I'm not sure. I'd suspect the Rift S is a lot more profitable.

VirtualCloud

Aug 3, 2018
made a quick overview and impressions video on space junkies open beta was wondering if anyone here has played it and if so what did you think? i really enjoyed my time with the game its very well polished but i certainly hope theres more content at launch, 6 maps is well in the low end if you ask me but over all it felt really polished and more importantly i didnt get any sort of motion sickness playing it

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
made a quick overview and impressions video on space junkies open beta was wondering if anyone here has played it and if so what did you think? i really enjoyed my time with the game its very well polished but i certainly hope theres more content at launch, 6 maps is well in the low end if you ask me but over all it felt really polished and more importantly i didnt get any sort of motion sickness playing it

Same as you, I really enjoyed it, but won't buy it unless there is considerably more content. Even if there is more content, the price worries me. Ubisoft doesn't seem to know how to price their VR games; all the successful multiplayer games with decent populations are about 20 bucks and under. I know people don't like microtransactins, but I think they could have struck a better balance. Maybe 20 bucks for the game, and purchasable skins and characters that would otherwise take some time to grind for. At least it's cross-play, that might help considerably.

I also wish the game was at least 6 players. 2v2 works fine, but arena shooters are supposed to be crazy.

Last edited:

VirtualCloud

Aug 3, 2018
Same as you, I really enjoyed it, but won't buy it unless there is considerably more content. Even if there is more content, the price worries me. Ubisoft doesn't seem to know how to price their VR games; all the successful multiplayer games with decent populations are about 20 bucks and under. I know people don't like microtransactins, but I think they could have struck a better balance. Maybe 20 bucks for the game, and purchasable skins and characters that would otherwise take some time to grind for. At least it's cross-play, that might help considerably.

I also wish the game was at least 6 players. 2v2 works fine, but arena shooters are supposed to be crazy.

the 4 player limit really lets me down and i just found out that the psvr version dosn't support move controllers... so they have to play with dualshocks. i cant imagine thats going to go well with most of the player base there

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
You can't really project growth for VR from looking at data that currently only reflects 3 year old headsets and their respective price drops and slowly growing libraries. Standalone, wireless, inside out tracking, and bigger games are a necessary step to be able to observe a change in sales data.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
the 4 player limit really lets me down and i just found out that the psvr version dosn't support move controllers... so they have to play with dualshocks. i cant imagine thats going to go well with most of the player base there

Move controllers are a such a blight on PSVR. Shitty tracking aside, if they would have just added analog sticks the games would be much more cross-compatible.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
From what I read the DS4 is used as a pointer, and dual wielding is ironically easier because you don't have to bother aiming two hands independently. This isn't the first time an inferior input gets a competitive advantage on console- see gamepads with autoaim.

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can't really project growth for VR from looking at data that currently only reflects 3 year old headsets and their respective price drops and slowly growing libraries. Standalone, wireless, inside out tracking, and bigger games are a necessary step to be able to observe a change in sales data.

Not just looking at sales data (which has been and remains not great). Also looking at player engagement data we collect via 5k sample size survey, and even looking at peripheral numbers like Google Trends. Interest peaked in early 2017 and continues to fall off, despite innovations and lower priced headsets entering the market.

Maybe those things you mention will move the needle. Guessing none of those are going to make gaming VR a mass market success. Doesn't mean it can't find a nice niche in the market. Just a whole lot of money still being dumped into gaming VR and I can't figure out why. That money could fund a whole assortment of gaming products that have a higher likelihood of ROI.

Same old shit from him, not really info.

Consistency is key. Means my analysis has been on the right track for some time.