• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
How would PC hold anything back when there are a lot of graphical options on the PC side? All mainstream pc games cater to low end (weaker than next gen) and high end (stronger than next gen) users. This just seems like a dick waving contest claiming someone's is going to be bigger for a short period of time.

Md Ray

Oct 29, 2017
Chennai, India
He's wrong, PS5 and Scarlett support framerates UP to 120fps, but no developer will ever make a console game running at 120fps, EVER.

I love how early marketing buzzword are making people believing literally anything.
You know VR games run at above 60fps right?

But sure, claim I'm falling for marketing "buzzwords" when my own PC with an octacore Zen processor runs numerous games at 200fps + at ultra graphics at even 1440p

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Actually I am holding my pc right at this moment from beating the shit out of my ps4 pro.
On a more serious note, cross gen development will hold it back.

Oct 26, 2017
You know VR games run at above 60fps right?

But sure, claim I'm falling for marketing "buzzwords" when my own PC with an octacore Zen processor runs numerous games at 200fps + at ultra graphics at even 1440p

Are you for real? Why are you talking about PC when the argument is consoles? LMAO
If you think PS5 will run games at 120fps you are smoking some nice weed.

Keep moving goalposts, we are talking about consoles and you are bringing PC into the discussion.

Md Ray

Oct 29, 2017
Chennai, India
Are you for real? Why are you talking about PC when the argument is consoles? LMAO
If you think PS5 will run games at 120fps you are smoking some nice weed.

Keep moving goalposts, we are talking about consoles and you are bringing PC into the discussion.
PS VR runs games above 60fps.

You're getting ignored by me. You are too ignorant.

Oct 26, 2017
Md Ray
You really need to train your english

"We are looking at framerate UP to 120fps" is completely different from "We are looking at framerate of 120fps on some games"

PS VR runs games above 60fps.

You're getting ignored by me. You are too ignorant.

SO CUTE.

You are moving goalposts, you don't understand the difference between up to 120fps and games running at 120fps ON consoles and you are ignoring me because you can't have a proper discussion. No one ever mentioned VR, but congratz once again, and i'm the ignorant one.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
I truly hope yall don't believe next-gen games are gonna be 120fps. Marketing nonsense, 60fps is all we can hope for.

Md Ray

Oct 29, 2017
Chennai, India
So they weren't confirmed, got it.
What more confirmation do you need other than the official Xbox Scarlett youtube announcement video?

The game console isn't out yet. Time travel doesn't exist. 120fps is not impossible on an octacore Zen 2 CPU and Navi graphics. I could do 120fps on a decade old PC. There's nothing preventing every game on PS5/Xbox from being 120fps if the developers want 120fps to be the target

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 and Xbox Scarlett were confirmed to target 120fps for some games.

I bet a lot of crossgen titles will have a 120FPS mode in 1080p or 1440p
Most tvs arent even 120Hz, as well as most games right now cant even run at 60fps. There wont be a 120fps mode.

This is similar to how last gen everyone thought games would target 60fps (they dont). Devs will find something more eye candy than framerate to sell games.

I can run some games at 120fps on an old PC from 2002 and you think 120fps is marketing nonsense.

He says it is marketing nonsense that consoles would let you do that. The marketing was that the console support HDMI code that allows for either 4k or 120fps. That doesnt mean that the console will be able to produce that.

Oct 29, 2017
Man I must be really dirt poor then, I thought midrange was something like an i5-8400 paired with something around a 1070 or 2070 at best
I see the 8400 as something that is probably more often paired with a 1060. I would imagine that people who buy GTX xx70 probably at least have a i5 x600K and up.

That said, nothing stops someone with a budget CPU from getting whatever GPU they please. How does one classify a system with a 8400 and a 2080ti?

Md Ray

Oct 29, 2017
Chennai, India
Most tvs arent even 120Hz, as well as most games right now cant even run at 60fps. There wont be a 120fps mode.

This is similar to how last gen everyone thought games would target 60fps (they dont). Devs will find something more eye candy than framerate to sell games.
Uh plenty of PS3 and Xbox 360 games were 60fps. Just because the majority were 30fps doesn't change the facts.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Uh plenty of PS3 and Xbox 360 games were 60fps. Just because the majority were 30fps doesn't change the facts.
OK, tentpole games, which are the ones that he is talking about (because those are the ones made to exploit the maximum the power of the console / PC), were not and are not nowadays mostly 60fps. Framerate is (sadly) almost never a selling point compared to more eyecandy / stuff.

These threads happen every time leading up to new consoles. This next year before they release is going to be amazing.
Yep, people forget that this gen everything was supposed to be 1080p / 60 fps (it wasnt even at launch).

Md Ray

Oct 29, 2017
Chennai, India
He says it is marketing nonsense that consoles would let you do that. The marketing was that the console support HDMI code that allows for either 4k or 120fps. That doesnt mean that the console will be able to produce that.
Any developer can develop a game that runs at 120fps on any modern computer.

The game doesn't need to have ray traced graphics, voxel GI, pixel perfect shaders for it to be relevant. Games like Resogun would easily run at 200fps on a PS5/Xbox.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Killzone Shadow Fall multiplayer was 1080p 60fps.
It wasnt (checkered solution).

Edit: My whole point is that AAA devs will go for more eyecandy over framerate in the vast majority of cases. We had Naughty Dog saying how great 60fps was when making TLOU:Remaster, only to go the 30 fps once they made games from the ground up in PS4.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I'd really like to see these people plan out a console build with a 499 US$ MSRP pricepoint, especially those who believe that we'll get a 3700X-like CPU inside the PS5 and/or Xbox Scarlett. A CPU that alone costs over 300 US$.

Good luck trying to add the other components and still be under499 US$ MSRP, which is the most assumed price for PS5/Xbox Scarlett on this board.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I consider it mid-range even if nvidia's monopolistic pricing model seems out of balance in comparison. The 8700K was "last year's model" in late 2018. The 2080 is the upper end of mid-range - as has been the case with all previous x80 non-Ti models. The top end Ti models are high-end while the Titans have been dumb...I mean "enthusiast level" for 3 generations now.

If you don't take the GPU pricing into consideration a 8700K + 2080 is indeed mid-range from a performance perspective.

Who honestly even factors in an actual Titan when making these comparisons? And besides that, the 2080 Ti is a Titan in every way but name anyway for gaming. The 2080 Ti is the flagship GPU followed directly by the 2080 Super, which is barely an upgrade to the 2080, which is itself barely an upgrade (and sometimes not even outside of ray tracing) to the 1080 Ti, which was a flagship GPU until September of 2018. Even now you can't actually call a 1080 Ti a mid-range card just because Nvidia got lazy and greedy.

I get your logic as far as technology goes, but you can't simply discount the price because you don't agree with the value and then arbitrarily put GPUs in whatever class you think they belong.

Man I must be really dirt poor then, I thought midrange was something like an i5-8400 paired with something around a 1070 or 2070 at best

That is much closer to reality.

He's wrong, PS5 and Scarlett support framerates UP to 120fps, but no developer will ever make a console game running at 120fps, EVER.

I love how early marketing buzzword are making people believing literally anything.

Yeah, no shit. And just because it will "support" up to 8K, that likely has absolutely nothing to do with gaming. Even if it did, it would be relegated to relatively simple games. It's the same thing every gen. People having these strange fantasies that 60fps with become the norm, but graphics will always be the priority, and they will always be pushed as high as they can go while still aiming for 30fps.

Because you know, you can't market frame rates as art.

Last edited:

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I'd really like to see these people plan out a console build with a 499 US$ MSRP pricepoint, especially those who believe that we'll get a 3700X-like CPU inside the PS5 and/or Xbox Scarlett. A CPU that alone costs over 300 US$.

Good luck trying to add the other components and still be under499 US$ MSRP, which is the most assumed price for PS5/Xbox Scarlett on this board.
I'm sure neither MS nor Sony buys components near retail price, but your point still stands.

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
giphy.gif

Md Ray

Oct 29, 2017
Chennai, India
It wasnt (checkered solution).

Edit: My whole point is that AAA devs will go for more eyecandy over framerate in the vast majority of cases. We had Naughty Dog saying how great 60fps was when making TLOU:Remaster, only to go the 30 fps once they made games from the ground up in PS4.
The court case was a failure with the judge dismissing it. The game runs at 1920*1080p.

And ND chose 30fps for The Last of Us part 2 to push the game's complexity. Every game can run at 60fps on any modern computer if you design the game for that framerate.

Status
Not open for further replies.