• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
And you don't even have his laptop so how can you prove it's a lie when nobody knows?

Just because *your* SSD loads Word/Excel faster does not mean *all* computers will load it just as fast.

Because we dont need to give any real throught to a stupid hyperbole? Anymore then someone claiming it takes 20 minute to toast their bread in a traditional toaster so wait for my revolutionary product that does it normally.

I repeat myself, you are fanboying.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
The combination of : faster SSD than is currently common on PC; more GDDR ram than is common in any current GPU; and relatively fast 8/16 CPU will potentially stretch the requirements of many current PC configs

CPU alone? Can upgrade or clock speeds can maybe brute force
SSDram alone? Larger system memory can act as a mitigation

All three together are a potent combination and will really help move things forward. The actual GPU performance is arguably less important this time round

By the time these consoles are out (assuming they actually have all the listed stuff) PCs will have no problems since they can use them too.... It is not like conosoles are going to have some magical monopoly on faster SSDs and CPU cores.

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
my advice again is to just wait for DDR5, maybe PCIe 5.0 (I think 4.0 is really just a stopgap)
Yeah I have to see what comes out of Computex honestly. I still like to build out systems and make adjustments as things progress and I hear rumblings of whats coming. Though it really all comes down to a few parts that usually do not release late into the year for me so if that comes late 2020 and PCIe is 2021 and depending on what Intel does if they make a release Q4 2020 I will be right where I want to be. Everything is always up in the air.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I have seen a lot of PC people ask if their systems will need further improvements to handle next gen games.

Never noticed a lot of that in the build up to other generations.
That's always been the case, though it's funny seeing some PC gamers say if they need to upgrade their 5ghz i9, i think the hype is overblown.

Last edited:

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
Is there away to set a reminder for say.... 2 years on a topic so I can get a good laugh in 2 years at this topic?

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
User Warned: platform wars
Sorry OP for your sustained exposure to the sophisticated sarcasm of the master race; they may lack social grace but they do get great benchmarking scores.

You are of course absolutely wrong particularly in regard to the high end and upper mid machines that over privileged era users take for granted. I myself still rock a 980ti which I carefully selected back in the day in anticipation of what I would likely need for PS4-era gaming and it still gives very good service. I haven't needed to upgrade since and won't until I have made a similar determination with PS5. So it's a simple obvious fact that new consoles are a catalyst for raising the mean spec bar even for average pc gamers like myself.

None of which will challenge the top or mid top Pc market.

Still on a crude level I'm far more excited about the potential of next gen consoles than I was the last. Native 4K with ray tracing and standard SSD and hopefully VRR? That a damn good proposition especially against a background of hideous component inflation and diminishing performance in the pc market.

OP
OP
DonMigs85

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Funniest post in a while, good work OP
W8aMjiOS2buPh80ZlL_gAdTBzv0-bpALTTQf583Cvk0GHIZApTpgitxfG7Y67ZiM2lW19RD9X-CuxCi59MdUmmIaDlAluScTHAxmUk7x61-jBP1byte2fv33sjkVo4DBz2yivE-t

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
So, in a generation in which next-gen console will co-exist with Switch you are worried about PCs holding them back. Ok.

giphy.gif

Here is a more reasonable take: A common 2018 mid-range PC (8700K + RTX2080) will SHRED the 2020 consoles.

So wait, it was common for mid-range PCs to have an RTX2080 in 2018, even when they launched in the third week of September? Sometimes I think people get confused on what is entry level, low-end, mid-range, high end and enthusiast level. Did you happen to forget how much the 2080 was at launch? Even now the 2080 isn't exactly a mid-range card, even with the price drop. I mean yeah, a system like that will be more than capable with next gen games, but I think you're underestimating those specs.

Last edited:

EGOMON

Nov 5, 2017
Earth
User Banned (5 days): Trolling, metacommentary and platform whining + previous ban for platform warring
The replies in this topic are pathetic.

I feel sorry for you OP, I have learned to avoid to argue with two fanbase in this website; PC and Nintendo. You will get dogpiled on and your point will be dismissed with so many jokes it got diluted to the point a mod will say fuck it they either ban you or close the thread

Last edited:
OP
OP
DonMigs85

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The replys in this topic are pathetic.

I feel sorry for you OP, I have learned to avoid to argue with two fanbase in this website; PC and Nintendo. You will get dogpiled on and your point will be dismissed with so many joked it got diluted to the point a mod will say fuck it they either ban you or close the thread
thanks for the kind words, my friend

Saty

Oct 27, 2017
Let's say it's true: So? After all the years consoles 'held back' games it will a refreshing break. Which will be quickly over.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus, ERA echo chamber, can you be more obvious? OP isn't entirely wrong. Can you buy top of the line $1000 PC CPUs right now that are miles better than what PS5/XboxNext will have? Yes, you can. Does every PC gamer have them? No, they do not.

The situation right now is as follows:
VNxYSvk.png

Big majority of PC gamer CPUs right now are 4 and 2 physical cores. It will be many years before 6 and 8 cores is majority. So yes, OP is correct, PC spec fragmentation will hold games back next gen. This actually reminds me a lot of last gen when 360 came out which destroyed average gaming PC in CPU department. There were many PC ports that received inferior version on PC as compared to 360.

So again, in the end it's AVERAGE PC spec that decides what is and isn't holding back, not the absolute top of the line 0.001% specs.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
We don't even know the bus speeds, cache sizes, or really anything besides 8c/16t. An 8700K still outperforms the 3700X in games despite having fewer cores/threads. Unless you're going for workstation stuff like video encoding or heavy compression, single-core performance is for the time being the most important thing.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Lol at that first page, i dont know if its funny or sad.

But i feel for you OP, this can be a harsh community sometimes.

Peterc

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Next gen this time have to deliver graphics wise, otherwise they can go home. I'm sick of having slightly upgrades.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
This whole post is funny. We don't know almost anything of next-gen consoles but "consoles will have procs with more cores/threads than anything available at PC right nao" lmao

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, ERA echo chamber, can you be more obvious? OP isn't entirely wrong. Can you buy top of the line $1000 PC CPUs right now that are miles better than what PS5/XboxNext will have? Yes, you can. Does every PC gamer have them? No, they do not.

VNxYSvk.png

Big majority of PC gamer CPUs right now are 4 and 2 physical cores. It will be many years before 6 and 8 cores is majority. So yes, OP is correct, PC spec fragmentation will hold games next gen. This is actually reminds me a lot of last gen when 360 came out which destroyed average gaming PC in CPU department. There were many PC ports that received inferior version on PC as compared to 360.

So again, in the end it's AVERAGE PC spec that decides what is and isn't holding back, not the absolute top of the line 0.001% specs.

And the average console user will have a much worse spec machine comparatively going into 2020-2022.

And yet we barely hear the argument that the base PS4 or Xbox one will be holding back the next generation, but somehow much higher spec midrange PCs will?

So again, in the end it's AVERAGE Console spec that decides what is and isn't holding back, not the absolute top of the line 0.001% specs.

Unless you think Sony and Microsoft will instantly abandoned the nearly 200 million consoles out in the market now? Or somehow 100 million consoles are going to be sold in 2 years, much less manufactured?

gattotimo

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think they will. New multiplat games just won't run at best settings on pcs for a while. And exclusives, which will be the major selling point of 2 out of 3 consoles once again, won't obviously care about pc specs

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And the average console user will have a much worse spec machine comparatively going into 2020-2022.

And yet we barely hear the argument that the base PS4 or Xbox one will be holding back the next generation, but somehow much higher spec midrange PCs will?

So again, in the end it's AVERAGE Console spec that decides what is and isn't holding back, not the absolute top of the line 0.001% specs.

Unless you think Sony and Microsoft will instantly abandoned the nearly 200 million consoles out in the market now? Or somehow 100 million consoles are going to be sold in 2 years, much less manufactured?
PS4 had crappy mobile chip. PS5 will not. See the difference? And also, not sure why people keep talking about 2022? PS5 is coming in 1 year from now (give or take a few months)! Are you telling me everyone who has PC will suddenly buy 8 core 16 thread CPUs in 1 year? Bull...

Oct 26, 2017
The replys in this topic are pathetic.

I feel sorry for you OP, I have learned to avoid to argue with two fanbase in this website; PC and Nintendo. You will get dogpiled on and your point will be dismissed with so many joked it got diluted to the point a mod will say fuck it they either ban you or close the thread

Well no shit, if you make a thread with dubious points and you add to your thread:
Actually I think there's a fairly good chance the PS5 can come reasonably close to an RTX 2080.

Of course you will get dogpiled lmao

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 had crappy mobile chip. PS5 will not. See the difference? And also, not sure why people keep talking about 2022? PS5 is coming in 1 year from now (give or take a few months)! Are you telling me everyone who has PC will suddenly buy 8 core 16 thread CPUs in 1 year? Bull...

In a year, developpers wont stop supporting 130M consoles.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 had crappy mobile chip. PS5 will not. See the difference? And also, not sure why people keep talking about 2022? PS5 is coming it 1 year from now (give or take a few months)!

You. Dont. Get. it.

Those Millions upon millions of PS4s dont suddenly stop existing once the PS5 launches. Unless you think AAA developers can subsisted on just a few hundred thousand consoles during the first year.

And Sony is not going to be making anywhere close to the number of consoles to even replace all of those PS4s within 2-4 years, much less sell them.

If mid to lower ranged PCs are going to hold back gaming, then the millions upon millions of existing PS4s and Xbox Ones, which are on another level of weaker, will be even more of a hold back on future gaming.

This is basic logistics and economics.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
you laugh but like I said, Shadow of the Tomb Raider stutters and gets low FPS in the main hub area if you have less than their recommended requirements (i7 4770K or Ryzen 5 1600). And both those CPUs are far more powerful than all 8 Jaguar cores in PS4 Pro/Xbone X. You always have to account for overhead and increased draw calls on PC even with the benefit of DirectX 12
And it's a game targeted to run at 30fps@900p on a1.3Tf Xbox One. Next-gen software could be made with 9-12Tf under the pedal.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

VNxYSvk.png

Big majority of PC gamer CPUs right now are 4 and 2 physical cores. It will be many years before 6 and 8 cores is majority. So yes, OP is correct, PC spec fragmentation will hold games back next gen. This actually reminds me a lot of last gen when 360 came out which destroyed average gaming PC in CPU department. There were many PC ports that received inferior version on PC as compared to 360.

I'm still at a loss as to how someone's PC would ever be relevant, especially when a lot of people who "game on PC" aren't actually all that serious about it anyway and are usually playing shit like Farmville, which runs on anything. You may as well be saying that console games are being held back by mobile gaming for how much sense that makes. As for the bolded part, I just had this argument, but apparently it was a single game, and only bad optimization that was the cause.

Manwell

Oct 25, 2017
USA

VNxYSvk.png

Number of cores is only one factor of a CPU's overall performance.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Actually I think there's a fairly good chance the PS5 can come reasonably close to an RTX 2080. Plus it won't be limited to a pool of just 8GB for VRAM

It's possible, but you have to define what you mean by "reasonably close." Within 20%, around a 2070 level? Probably! Within 10%, like the 2070 Super? Would be very surprising.

kratos2412

Nov 3, 2018
Germany
Since 70-80 % are on Dual Cores/ Quad Cores (Steam), playing Sweeper and some MS Paint (/s)....OP could not be completely wrong.

Im with you OP ,interesting thought .

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017

VNxYSvk.png

Your mistake is thinking that PC like consoles is market with single unified audience.
That isn't true at all. PC audience is very varied.

Those who play graphical showcase games are going to have higher end specs

Those with low end 2 core CPUs aren't interested in these games (on PC).
There are plenty of people who play single game, or only indie games that have very low requirements etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.