• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
When people say it's competition, what they're actually saying is, the developer (see: publisher that actually made the deal) is getting a larger cut than they would on Steam, so it's fine that the consumer is getting fucked over in the process.

Precisely.

There is always disingenuous people on these threads unfortunately.

Yeah so like my common sense thought, I wasn't the crazy one not seeing something that was obvious to everyone else.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
They could put up a fight in several ways that isn't "moneyhatting". They could adjust developer pay to be more competitive. They could hire support staff to respond more rapidly to issues with their storefront. They could install a single layer of quality control that stops games like Rape Day from even getting a store page. They could hire someone to put our regular PR messages to press and influencers in an effort to be more open about what they're doing.

Any one of those things would be a massive improvement and give me more confidence in their continued place in the maket. It's not the early 2000s anymore, they're not some rebellious media darling taking on the man. They're running a business and they're running it poorly.

All concerns that likely matter to devs, I'm sure. None of which affect me as a consumer.

Been using Steam for over a decade now. Never saw a hate-promoting game or an asset flip game except in Jim Sterling videos.
Only tags I filter out are " visual novel", "multi-player" and "early access" . I opted in to be shown adult content.

Steam's not perfect, but as far as I'm concerned, it functions adequately. Most of the games I have on Steam come from resellers anyway.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
It's not about the revenue cut and it never was. It''s solely the money hat, nothing more. If Steam started matching the cut tomorrow, Epic would still throwing money hats around.

Right now I agree with you, but I think it's just in the shortterm. I doubt Epic will keep "buying" exclusives if they can't make her plataform appealing on its own, both to developers and consumers.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
epic stopped putting things on pc they said because of piracy
Epic released their own games on PC. Games that were published by Microsoft didn't come to PC, and considering Halo mysteriously went AWOL on PC around the same time, I think the finger can be pointed at MS there. Epic went multiplatform because piracy was a huge problem for them and because game budgets were rising and rising. They eventually left traditional AAA development behind because they came to view it as unsustainable. It's why they declined to make Gears of War 4.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
and for people touting the dumb "but it benefits developers" argument:

https://steamdb.info/app/578650/history/
achievements got added to the Steam version one hour ago. The devs are not even aware yet that their game is going to be a exclusive. They're not going to see a single cent from it.

I actually feel for Obsidian here. They had success with south park (which were good games) but I can still remember the royal screwing they received from Bethesda on the Metacritic bonus.

GoodGamerGuy

Nov 15, 2017
I don't get the complaints about Steams 'asset flip' and 'bad taste games. I don't really ever see them and I ever play them if I do see them, so what's the issue. Proper games usually are fairly well advertised, along with being shown by curators and other ways of discovery. Sounds like people moaning about something because they want to hate Steam.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
So you're saying if Outer Worlds wasn't exclusive to EGS, it wouldn't be pirated? I have a bridge I'd like to sell you...

Outer Worlds is not available in China, Steams 3rd biggest market nowadays. If a Chinese, if the game is exclusive, wants to play it and not wait 1 year they only can pirate it (or install a VPN and buy it for no regional pricing from US/EU, which is also against chinese law).

The downloaded copies will be higher.

Look at Dawn of Men. Indie Darling. The devs said 60% of their sales come from China. Now take away the choice to buy the game (which they could on Steam) and you lose buyers.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
As someone mentioned earlier, maybe it's referring to The Outer Wilds instead? Since Outer Worlds just had an update on Steam... The only source here is a tweet, no way to know for now.

Jiffy Smooth

Dec 12, 2018
I like the idea that news outlets have these prewritten for all upcoming games like real news outlets have obituaries and they accidentally post sometimes

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Steam doesn't give a shit about this. They only care about money hats when they are involved with new, growing platforms like VR. This here only bothers gamers like me.

And yet MCC can be played across both steam and windows store. Cross play for those work. And it was MICROSOFT that did all the work, but it's not like they blocked it.

Steam/valve may not be the greatest company when you look at what they have been doing the past couple years. Far from it, their store is a mess with shit games that should never be allowed on it. They also don't give a good split to developers.

But they don't block the sale of a third party site that sells a game thats on their store.

And honestly once developers unionize i feel that will make a better environment than what epic is trying to do.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
As someone mentioned earlier, maybe it's referring to The Outer Wilds instead? Since Outer Worlds just had an update on Steam... The only source here is a tweet, no way to know for now.
Outer Wilds is already in Epic store, and it's not that big of a game to be highlighted in the caption. There are more than one titles to be announced, not just Outer Worlds.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A hahahaha wow. Absolutely shameless if true.

But I guess it also gives me a year or so before I need to get it, so maybe the modding community will have plenty by then.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Steam/valve may not be the greatest company when you look at what they have been doing the past couple years.

But they have been doing far more than anyone else in the PC-Gaming sector as a "plattform" itself.

VR
Proton
Family Sharing
SteamLink
Controllers
New server technologies

People seem to forget all about that when they read about "Rape Day" or how some bad indie title didnt sell.

unknownspectator

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
so, off topic, I had to delete the epic store manually cause somehow windows can't do it through the control panel. I deleted every trace of it, or so I thought, but it's still on the list of programs to uninstall. wtf?

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I guess this is Epics strategy:

1. Secure exclusives in one way or another
  2. Generate user and traffic
  3. Implement more functions to launcher
  4. Continue to secure exclusives to get a "big enough" amount of users
  5. Somewhere here stop funding (via money) exclusives
  6. Maintenance and support of EGS
I agree with them, on a strategic level, to generate users you need the games, everything else is secondary by a far margin.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They could put up a fight in several ways that isn't "moneyhatting". They could adjust developer pay to be more competitive. They could hire support staff to respond more rapidly to issues with their storefront. They could install a single layer of quality control that stops games like Rape Day from even getting a store page. They could hire someone to put our regular PR messages to press and influencers in an effort to be more open about what they're doing.

Any one of those things would be a massive improvement and give me more confidence in their continued place in the market. It's not the early 2000s anymore, they're not some rebellious media darling taking on the man. They're running a business and they're running it poorly.
This is all smokescreen bullshit. Some has been addressed years ago (steam support is stellar), some is mediadriven outrage nonsense (Rapeday, trollgame nobody would ever heard of if media did not publicize its existence), they regularly publish detailed article about what they are doing, which you would have known if you were genuine. And of course, most important point of all, all those companies that are doing exclusivity are doing it for the big wad of cash they get upfront. Not for the "friendlier" revenue split. Valve could drop revenue split 90/10 and they would still go with Epic as long as Epic pays upfront.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Most of you have made it very clear that even if you had to pay more to play on steam, you would, because that's where your library already is. This is what Epic are up against. They know their only chance is to force people onto their store for a while. If it were on 3 stores, then almost everyone would still buy on steam regardless of price.

Nope, if Epic offered something, anything to make their store worthwhile to me as a consumer than I would've been there. How do you thing GOG became a thing? Because they offered something worthwhile. No one is complaining about GOG being a thing as well.

juventino13

Oct 27, 2017
Walmart
I guess this is Epics strategy:

1. Secure exclusives in one way or another
  2. Generate user and traffic
  3. Implement more functions to launcher
  4. Continue to secure exclusives to get a "big enough" amount of users
  5. Somewhere here stop funding (via money) exclusives
  6. Maintenance and support of EGS
I agree with them, on a strategic level, to generate users you need the games, everything else is secondary by a far margin.
That is exactly what they are going for, and its going to work it seems

MJnR

Mar 13, 2019

Any one of those things would be a massive improvement and give me more confidence in their continued place in the market. It's not the early 2000s anymore, they're not some rebellious media darling taking on the man. They're running a business and they're running it poorly.
New split agreement, that while not perfect, it shows that Valve is working on it: https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/30...rketplace-revenue-split-new-rules-competition
Is Steam support so bad? Take a look at its stats: https://store.steampowered.com/stats/support
Filters so you would never have to see Rape Day in your frontpage: https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/325976/Valves_new_Steam_content_filters_have_finally_arrived.php
Valve also reports their future plans for Steam in GDCs and publish blog posts along the year to reflect in what is happening over Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/app/593110/allnews/

You have also been replied by other users that listed a bunch of improvements that Steam got in the past months, and given that there's a new layout coming for the store, we will be definitely seeing more this year. So, in my opinion, Valve doesn't need to put a fight as they kept improving with or without EGS. Maybe EGS should try putting a fight instead of you know, moneyhatting publishers, while making their users wait 6 months for a shopping cart feature.

Cyn

Oct 31, 2017
I was gonna pick it up on GOG as I prefer DRM free options, but if I have to pick it up on EGS, so be it. I'm a big Obsidian fan and I want to support them. It makes little difference to me personally.

Steam is not without it's controversies either, I'm not seeing any kick back about Steam exclusives.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, and then Gabe made himself a sandwich and laughed at me, it was very humiliating.

I didn't have it downloaded so lost access to it, despite paying for it.

You could've download it you know.
Cause I did back then.
When a game.is delisted on Steam, you can always download it as much as you want.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019

This would be beyond hilarious, since the Rapid Fire interviewer from Game Informer made a joke about similar sounding names

"Have you ever come home from the office just to realize you've been working on The Outer Wilds all day?"

There's also "outward" published by Deep Silver, releasing next week... Hough I think the devs confirmed it's still coming to Steam.

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
I was gonna pick it up on GOG as I prefer DRM free options, but if I have to pick it up on EGS, so be it. I'm a big Obsidian fan and I want to support them. It makes little difference to me personally.

Steam is not without it's controversies either, I'm not seeing any kick back about Steam exclusives.

What "Steam exclusives"?

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Currently weighing the options of locking this/leaving it open, since all we have right now is a tweet that seems like it either went out too early or was wrong

Lock and wait for more news or let it ride, thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.