• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fits quite nicely with that thread asking if completing a game is obligatory to review it.

Apparently you don't even need to launch it!

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
No words for this. A review is a review, but a port needs to cover everything that's new. Tell us how the port fares against the console versions, hows the framerate on mid-range to high PCs. Does it make the game better? Does the port have PC-centric options? Can we tweak the game settings or is it bare bones? Stuff like that. There's zero need to do the same review if it's pretty much word for word from a previous review.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This is like reviewing pokemon sword using your review of pokemon shield. They're the same game.

In that case, on the console versions of RDR2 can I rebind the keyboard controls? And how is the mouse and keyboard control feel on those versions anyway?

There's a lot of PC specific information that I quite like to hear when something is ported from consoles. I already know what the game is like on consoles because it was reviewed ages ago.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
What's the point if you're just reviewing the console version?
PC players want to read about performance as well as the included settings.

A PC centric site should know better, but I guess they had to rush to be first, with a review that isn't even for PC.

kintaris

Jul 24, 2018
Head to Google News in a private/incog window and type "Red Dead Redemption 2 PC review". That's why.

You'll notice VG 24/7 have republished their 2018 console review as well, and appear in the same search terms.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
marzoo are you not aware that this is normal? Sites typically don't do a separate review where they have played spot-the-difference With a PS4 copy, an Xbox One copy, Xbox One X modes, PS4 Pro modes, PC modes, etc.

They beat one version and post the review everywhere. When a Blu-Ray comes to 4K, sites often don't rewatch the whole movie over again and rewrite a brand new review. They often just link their old review with a disclosure that it was reviewed on Blu. When they get a chance they may add some technical impressions, but no, they don't rewrite and replay all over again.

Csr

Nov 6, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2 PC review-in-progress – a monumental achievement

That is the title of the article. After you click on it it becomes obvious that he has not spent any time with the PC version. It is clickbait.
I would be fine if it was more clear in the title what this was.

Maybe mouse controls are bad, maybe there is stuttering, maybe it is badly optimised.
Should sites start having reviews in progress for the PS5 versions, or for switch versions that don't exist?

I avoid the site anyway. This just enhances my stance.

edit: i think the "-in-progress" was added later, which makes the original title even more misleading.

Last edited:

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
marzoo are you not aware that this is normal? Sites typically don't do a separate review where they have played spot-the-difference With a PS4 copy, an Xbox One copy, Xbox One X modes, PS4 Pro modes, PC modes, etc.

They beat one version and post the review everywhere. When a Blu-Ray comes to 4K, sites often don't rewatch the whole movie over again and rewrite a brand new review. They often just link their old review with a disclosure that it was reviewed on Blu. When they get a chance they may add some technical impressions, but no, they don't rewrite and replay all over again.
BAD take.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Terrible. Reeks of greed in wanting clicks. They could have just not published anything until they had played it but they chose to do this instead.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know i wouldn't replay the game 100 hours when i know all is the same. When a multiplatform game releases 99% of the time reviewers will say something like 'graphics are great, especially on a pc!" and that would be about it. They won't make a seperate review between versions. It would be classy to fiddle around a bit with it and maybe add some more things to the review like controls and tech, but i don't think it's that weird to be honest. If all versions would release at the same time there would be 1 review for all as well.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Expecting anything more than them adding a paragraph on PC settings later is just bizarre to me. They don't need to pretend they never played the game before just because a new platform got it.
They dont need to pretend they are review the PC copy of the game. On a site called PCGames.

Csr

Nov 6, 2017

In that case they at least spent some time with the other versions to ensure that they report any differences or at least they should do that.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
People ITT Talking about creating seperate Reviews for seperate versions are also comically missing the point that this is PCGamesN, they probably didn't even had a review before.

_ _ _ _

Let's Play a game.
I call it, "spot the console gamer!"

This is like reviewing pokemon sword using your review of pokemon shield. They're the same game.

Found one!

Last edited:

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
Expecting anything more than them adding a paragraph on PC settings later is just bizarre to me. They don't need to pretend they never played the game before just because a new platform got it.
So we should just assume this will be a good port, with good mouse and keyboard controls, no technical issues etc?

I can read over 150 console reviews if I want to know anything about the gameplay/story.

This is just click bait nonsense.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Next time

reggie_play_the_game_by_digi_matrix-db1jll5.gif

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
The technical details – graphical, performance, all of that – will come as soon as possible, once I've had some time to play around with everything. After all, that's the big new difference here; I could go on for a long time about the almost unbelievable natural wonder of this game's world, but there's no point until I've seen how improved it is over the admittedly excellent native 4K version I played through last year on Xbox One X.

It's also silly to discuss the mechanics. After all, with increased frame rate capability and the options for mouse and keyboard support, the Red Dead Redemption 2 that hits PC could feel very different than the console versions. Much discussion was had last year around the original release's issues with input lag and latency, but we're expecting that to be drastically improved thanks to 60fps and above (if your PC can handle it), and with the increased accuracy and precision of PC's control set.

I don't see the problem.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Normally I wouldn't think that it's too much of an issue, but for a platform-specific outlet -- especially one as varied as PC -- I feel like you should really be reviewing it on that platform.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
"pcgamesn"

Yet the review doesnt contain a single word about the port.
"Not a single change".

I dunno. I'd expect a PC PUBLICATION to extensively cover all the graphical options, what they bring, what they cost and run a lot of benchmarks on multiple systems.

But hey, it's just me !

This is hilariously bad from a PC specific outlet.

There is TONS to talk about with the PC version, whether comparatively to consoles or not.
Of particular significance is the graphics settings - of which there are tons.

Not even a mention of the Vulkan and DX12 support, which you can switch between - which could have been ascertained just from the installer!
unknown.png

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Man, to think i could have hustled money by reviewing the witcher 3 switch port as a worlds first.
Shouldn't have been a problem given that i already played the PC version

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
I really doubt Rockstar will publish a broken port of one of their most anticipated games on PC.

That said, yes. They should've waited to test it out a bit.

GTA Online crashes like every 2 hours of playtime and penalizes the player since it's seen as bad player behavior to "quit" out of jobs without completing them, regardless if the quitting was done voluntarily on the player part.

Story Mode for GTAV also had a fair share of issues. I almost dropped really going through campaign again since I couldn't complete the Merryweather heist setup.

So yeah, tho some people argue it's Nvidia drivers, that's been a thing that's been happening to the PC version of GTAV for a while, hence why at least personally I am super interested in the stability of the RDR2 port since while GTAV runs really well, it also likes to frequently crash for me and many others.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
I really doubt Rockstar will publish a broken port of one of their most anticipated games on PC.

That said, yes. They should've waited to test it out a bit.
Considering for the last two hours when I click play in the Rockstar Games Launcher the launcher immediately crashes and game doesn't start. It seems pretty damn broken to me. Even after uninstalling and reinstalling everything, disabling my antivirus and updating windows. But yeah PC version is still great I guess...

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
They could at least make sure the PC version works properly... Before you know, recommending to buy it.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

The largest aspect of this game is that its the PC version.
Any PC user is also interested in the typical PC features and flexibility they come to expect.

This game has TONS of that. Any PC review exploring this in "a paragraph" has utterly failed in their critique of this version

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
The people defending this would sharp change their tune if sites had released a review for The Witcher 3's switch port but only went off their experience on PC or consoles.

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine being upset about this

They give full disclosure up front and there were no review copies sent out and it's going to be updated

Jun 17, 2018
"pcgamesn"

Yet the review doesnt contain a single word about the port.
"Not a single change".

I dunno. I'd expect a PC PUBLICATION to extensively cover all the graphical options, what they bring, what they cost and run a lot of benchmarks on multiple systems.

But hey, it's just me !

Isn't that basically what digital foundry do? I'd expect the PC outlet to say whether or not the game runs well on the minimum hardware requirements and whether or not the port is adequate. Not sure they would necessarily go into that level of detail..