• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jun 1, 2018

Red Dead Redemption 2 PC review – a monumental achievement
Dropping GTA's acidic snark, Rockstar delivers its most mature, heartfelt story yet on a beautiful Western stage

First, full disclosure; the PC version of Red Dead Redemption 2 has not been available for press to play ahead of time. With that in mind, this introductory part of our review concerns the game as it has existed until today – on consoles. However, with over 100 hours of in-game experience to date, and with the PC version changing very little of the creative fundamentals that underpin the game, it feels right to discuss why it's such a monumental achievement.

I dont even know what to say.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Well, the game is the same as on consoles with a few bonuses on top. What's the problem?

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
"pcgamesn"

Yet the review doesnt contain a single word about the port.
"Not a single change".

I dunno. I'd expect a PC PUBLICATION to extensively cover all the graphical options, what they bring, what they cost and run a lot of benchmarks on multiple systems.

But hey, it's just me !

Sep 12, 2018
1514597818755.gif

Imagine somebody reviewing Witcher 3 on Switch by saying "well we played it on PC and it's obviously great so"

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
They've been a pretty bad website for a while.

PC reviews usually mention port performance and graphic options

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I think the review is not particularly useful, but it's not like they tried to hide what they did.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
At least they provided a full disclosure. On other hand, maybe you should wait to play the PC version first...

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
they didn't give it a score and they say they're going to continue updating it and it's only the first part

i guess I don't understand why it exists but it's not like they hid it or anything

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
On one hand, I get why this is weird. But also consider the labor that would go into rushing a replay of this game on PC just to be like "sick, it's the same thing but prettier." If it means they dont have to crunch 50 hours for a review of a year old game, I'd rather the person take their time reviewing the core of it on console before the PC one is available and them updating it with PC specific impressions, which I'm sure they'll do asap. Also, they were totally transparent about it so I don't see the issue at all

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I mean I wouldn't expect that they go through the whole game again on PC, but at least wait and talk about the PC performance.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
This reminds me of a paper magazine that reviewed the demo of Flight Unlimited and tried to pass it as a review of the full game (world exclusive!!!!). Gaming magazines did a lot of shady shit back in the 90s.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really doubt Rockstar will publish a broken port of one of their most anticipated games on PC.

That said, yes. They should've waited to test it out a bit.

You don't know that.

There can always be weird performance issues on the PC. You should at least wait to play the fucking game.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
they didn't give it a score and they say they're going to continue updating it and it's only the first part

i guess I don't understand why it exists but it's not like they hid it or anything

This. It exist because sites need traffic to stay profitable and relevant and this is the biggest release of the week.

The site clearly states what they were doing, they didn't post a review number and they've made it clear the areas that are different will get unique attention. I mean what more do you expect? The other major review sites won't be playing this game to 100% if they already did on consoles, they are going to do the same thing as this site and Probably just not tell you.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Maybe we should stop putting so much stock in the perceived quality of games based on measurements designed primarily to drive traffic to websites.

Abuguet

Apr 23, 2019
I don't like this. People already know about RDR2. At this point the PC review should focus on the quality of the port and the new features/options.

I think "it's basically the same game" is an excuse to publish the review early and get more clicks by beating everyone else to the punch. That's not the way you should review things. Learn from Arkham Knight, for crying out loud!

Two options here:
1. Label your review properly (RDR2 PS4 review or whatever).
2. Wait and do a proper review of the PC port focusing on, you know, the PC port.

My 2 cents. Now back to you ERA.

Last edited:

Abuguet

Apr 23, 2019
I really doubt Rockstar will publish a broken port of one of their most anticipated games on PC.

That said, yes. They should've waited to test it out a bit.
Agreed, but I doubted Rocksteady would publish whatever the hell Arkham Knight's PC port was, and here I am waiting for my PC Batmobile edition. 😞

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that the title says PC review in the article makes it disingenuous and literally there to bait people in. It doesn't matter if they state it later in the article (which is 4 paragraphs in). This is pretty scummy. Don't label it as a PC review then.

Abuguet

Apr 23, 2019
This. It exist because sites need traffic to stay profitable and relevant and this is the biggest release of the week.

Yeah, but do they need this kind of traffic and relevancy? There are other ways (better I would argue) to drive traffic and be relevant orher than "yeah, that's the site that passes console reviews for PC".

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I could understand it if they played a chunk of the game and seen that it's technically sound, but to not play it at all seems somewhat brazen.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Considering it's a great game and Rockstars past PC games run great on all hardware, what's the issue?

When I read a review of a PC port of a game I would expect to find some information about the PC port of the game. I mean, why publish a review at all if you're just going to assume it's fine based on previous products?