• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.pcgamesn.com/the-witcher-3/sales
44.5% of The Witcher 3 sales came through PC, trailed by PlayStation 4 at 39.5% and Xbox One at 15.5% – all accounting for some rounding funkiness, of course. The info comes from CD Projekt's 2018 financial report, so the numbers account for everything from the game's launch in 2015 until the end of the most recent fiscal year. (Apparently, the folks at PC Games Insider like to dig through old financial reports.)

While PC has grown to be the most popular platform, it was actually in a pretty distant second place back in 2015. If you combine Xbox and PlayStation platforms, that means a slim majority of lifetime players are on console – about 55%.

In 2015, sales were predominantly on PlayStation 4 – 48% over PC's 31% – and it wasn't until 2016 that the PC version managed to overtake the console platforms.

Shoozle

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
UK
While I imagine that will be due to the ridiculous value of dollar per hour for the GOTY version when it's on sale, I wonder how many people bought it a second time if they ever made the transition from console to PC gaming.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly surprised PS4 sales are that high given neither of the previous games were on Playstation

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
And there's the reason why PlayStation youtube channel has recently started promoting CDPRed.

CDPRed knows where their marketing will reach most console gamers.

PS4 had some exclusive content initially no?
I don't think so. The game was fully promoted by Xbox, to the point that they did not show the game running on PS4 until days before release.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
While I imagine that will be due to the ridiculous value of dollar per hour for the GOTY version when it's on sale, I wonder how many people bought it a second time if they ever made the transition from console to PC gaming.
I own it on everything. Having played it at least a bit on all both consoles, it's a shame the number isn't higher on Xbox. It's quite good on One X, though OC is obviously ideal if you have the option.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Honestly surprised PS4 sales are that high given neither of the previous games were on Playstation
PS4 users when playing the Witcher 3
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Microsoft paid for their version to be most visible, if I remember correctly.

PS4 amounting to 40% of the sales of the Witcher 3 is the biggest highlight here.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Been tempted to pick it up on PC myself since I need to play Blood and and Wine, but I have a save on PS4 that's probably almost 100 hrs in and I dunno if I want to just abandon that to start fresh.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
only 45% for PC seem low? I thought this franchise was always based as PC-gaming?

I thought it would be something like Civilization or XCOM. where console versions exist, but a very low percent

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
but someone told me that pc is always a third distant in games sales
That'd be absolutely unrealistic considering the big user base Steam alone has. To me The Witcher always seemed like a primarily PC focused franchise, so it's not exactly shocking. Depending on the game that split can also favor consoles - I imagine CoD sales are considerably higher on consoles. That doesn't reflect the overall state of a platform but it tells you more about the audience of that particular title. PC has many successful games which aren't performing well on consoles at all.

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
I only finished the game three times. First time on PC GOG. Then two times on PS4. Bought it three times. +500 hours ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

WZ71Hna.png

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
only 45% for PC seem low? I thought this franchise was always based as PC-gaming?
It never sold really amazing on PC. It was big, one of the rare high profile "pc exclusives", but it did not easily pass over 2M.

W3 was a big "relaunch" of the franchise, it brought many new players [who now believe that Geralt has to wear beard always :D].

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
I mean its not surprising older titles tend to gain ground based on the deep discounts found on the PC/Steam vs consoles. Still surprised when I see year+ old titles still selling at full price on PSN.

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
I bought it on PS4 originally, it was much cheaper to own a PS4 that could run the game admirably than update my hardware to play it on PC. I think I still had a 6950 back then.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I believe the ratio turn over in favor of PC compared to PS4 is because of the really good Complete Edition deals on Steam.

Or is it revenue based?

I wonder where the game is sitting right now LTTD? 20 milliob? 25 million?

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
+2 from me for the Complete Edition.

Bought it on X1 and then proceeded to play almost 200 hours of it despite making it barely past the Bloody Baron quest line (I play RPG's incredibly slowly), burnt my self out, built a gaming PC and bought it there and then only played about 2 hours of it because the X1X patch was announced and so I am now playing it back on my X1X again. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Risev

Oct 27, 2017
PS4 users when playing the Witcher 3
giphy.gif
Honestly I was surprised by how accessible the game was considering it's a sequel to two games, both of which are sequels to like a dozen of books. That's a positive by the way. The game doesn't shy away from using all those years of lore, but everything is usually very calmly explained and character motivations are never a mystery unless intentional. Besides, those white dialogue options that expand on whatever topic is being discussed, as well as the always updating glossary do a great job at catching people up.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
quite a lot of sales probably helped...but i'm suprised at that xbox ratio considering it has a longer history on console via 360, and the second game is even BC with Xbox one...and the promotions are always on xbox too. This is a good metric for PS4 as well considering W3 is the first witcher anything on Sony platforms...i wonder why it hit so hard? I didnt expect it to sell much on PS4 in general at the time considering its part of a series, despite the heavy marketing aimed at console users

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly am surprised console sales are that high since the first two games were only on Pc.

In 2015, sales were predominantly on PlayStation 4 – 48% over PC's 31% – and it wasn't until 2016 that the PC version managed to overtake the console platforms.

So revenue wise PS4/PC are possibly similar or maybe PS4 has the edge ?

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017
I mean its not surprising older titles tend to gain ground based on the deep discounts found on the PC/Steam vs consoles. Still surprised when I see year+ old titles still selling at full price on PSN.

I believe the ratio turn over in favor of PC compared to PS4 is because of the really good Complete Edition deals on Steam.

Or is it revenue based?

I wonder where the game is sitting right now LTTD? 20 milliob? 25 million?

Guys, it's 2019. Games drop just as fast and deep nowadays on console, sometimes the physical copies drop even faster. We're not in 2010 anymore...Almost all publishers mirror their sales over the various digital storefronts anyway.

Honestly am surprised console sales are that high since the first two games were only on Pc.

So revenue wise PS4/PC are possibly similar or maybe PS4 has the edge ?
https://www.dualshockers.com/the-wi...-of-games-revenue-other-sales-stats-revealed/

Don't forget CDPR owns GOG so they got 100% revenue for any GOG copies.

Witcher 2 was actually ported to X360 after it launched on PC.

Last edited:

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
quite a lot of sales probably helped...but i'm suprised at that xbox ratio considering it has a longer history on console via 360, and the second game is even BC with Xbox one...and the promotions are always on xbox too. This is a good metric for PS4 as well considering W3 is the first witcher anything on Sony platforms...i wonder why it hit so hard? I didnt expect it to sell much on PS4 in general at the time considering its part of a series, despite the heavy marketing aimed at console users
CD Projekt were pretty smart with the branding, so it doesn't look like "The Witcher 3" on the boxart, so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people didn't even know it's a part 3 when they bought it. It being a pretty great as a standalone game also helps I'd imagine.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Great to hear that a pro-consumer company that sells DRM-free games has sold so well on PC, it's almost like if you treat consumers with respect they pay it back with loyalty.

I didn't even particularly like the Witcher, haven't finished Witcher 3 yet but I bought the game because I feel like they deserve it for not only the quality of their games but also their approach to consumers.

Doctor Mario

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 12, 2019
That's low for XBO, even considering that PS4 is much more successful worldwide, the gap is bigger than the install base diff.

Maybe big sales on PC impact more negatively the Xbox One than PS4? I'm just speculating.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty shocked at the high PS4 sales and low XB1 tbh, for such a pc centric franchise (historically speaking), and 2 (as well as 3) having had such a huge Xbox marketing push.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
More. Witcher 2 was released in 2011. By 2014, Witcher 1 & 2 had sold a combined 7 million copies. By march 2018, we know its 33 million combined for all 3 games. I very much doubt that 1 & 2 have combined for more than 12 million of that total, and thats being generous. That still leaves Witcher 3 with over 20 million as of march 2018. We know that the game has unusually long legs for an SP game, as it was still on steams platinum tier along with games like PUGB and DOTA2 even as late as 2017, so the number probably is notably higher today, my guess would be around 25 mil.

ToKre

Mar 11, 2018
the jump on PC remembers these past years is amazing , since i joined in 2014 it feels like it doubled in numbers.