• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
TSMC, the world's largest semiconductor manufacturer, has been enacting emergency drills this week to prepare its workforce for a fight against the elements. The current water scarcity plaguing Taiwan has the potential to severely stunt production from the leading manufacturer's foundries, but TSMC has a truck or two up its sleeve—no that wasn't a typo.

TSMC is a monster wafer company, one that caters to all the top players such as Intel, AMD, Apple, Samsung, and Nvidia, to name a few. With high demand rolling in, the company undoubtedly uses a whole lot of water and energy to meet the needs of its customers.

According to local sources (via ComputerBase), as of tomorrow the region of Tainan—where two of the company's Gigafabs, a smaller wafer fabrication plant, and an advanced backend factory are situated—will be on orange alert. That's the second-highest alert level, and TSMC is going to have to take fast action should the drought start affecting production.

To be precise, an orange alert means a rollout of initial water rationing measures that would limit "total water use as well as reducing water supplies," while a red alert would mean "water supplies only being available to certain areas at certain times."

Thankfully, the Vanguard International Semiconductor Corporation (VIS) and the United Microelectronics Corp (UMC) have arranged for emergency water tankers to make deliveries to TSMC, in order to alleviate stresses in the event of a red alert. Emergency manoeuvre testing has been underway over the past week, but there is no note on whether the test runs have been a success.

www.pcgamer.com

World-leading chip makers TSMC threatened by Taiwan water crisis

Lack of typhoons could see the megafoundry drowning in orders it can't fill, come red alert.

I guess good luck with finding any hardware anytime soon.

ejoshua

Oct 27, 2017
I was gonna hold off on a Series X but I may go ahead and get one next time I see them available, otherwise who knows when it could be.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm more concerned about people not getting the water than need than whether chips get produced, to be honest.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, this is the first I'm hearing about water scarcity in Taiwan. Hope the best for everyone there.

OrangePulp

Jul 21, 2020
I'm more concerned about people not getting the water than need than whether chips get produced, to be honest.
According to the original source article:
To date, water levels in several of Taiwan's central and southern reservoirs, including the Zengwen Reservoir, all currently stand at below 20 percent, according to WRA statistics.

That ain't good. Makes me wonder if the emergency water tankers TSMC is going to get from other semiconductor companies could be used to, you know, hydrate the Taiwanese people.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
According to the original source article:

That ain't good. Makes me wonder if the emergency water tankers TSMC is going to get from other semiconductor companies could be used to, you know, hydrate the Taiwanese people.

Yeah. Electronics can wait. Going to keep a look out for Taiwan news regarding this water crisis.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
tenor.gif

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
Lots of people here have it right.
This article came from PC Gamer - so its obviously video game focused - but the impact of a semiconductor shortage is profound.
New cars are not being produced at the rate the manufacturers want. Television production is slowed.

And this says nothing of the people & jobs impacted in those industries.
And now a drought in Taiwan? Man.....

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Boy, the semiconductor supply chain seems really limited by a small number of high-end players and physical foundries.

I wonder if there are any plans - from TSMC or others - to spin-up new foundries to alleviate this ongoing constraint? Obviously that's a tremendous undertaking, particularly if you're a TSMC competitor given their apparent lead over other foundries, but this situation is quickly becoming untenable, and you'd think there would be immense pressure from your Microsofts, Sonys, etc. to get something done in this regard.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
This is the danger of relying on only one company to supply the world's demand for chips. Samsung and Intel needs to step it up.

Oct 25, 2017
Boy, the semiconductor supply chain seems really limited by a small number of high-end players and physical foundries.

I wonder if there are any plans - from TSMC or others - to spin-up new foundries to alleviate this ongoing constraint? Obviously that's a tremendous undertaking, particularly if you're a TSMC competitor given their apparent lead over other foundries, but this situation is quickly becoming untenable, and you'd think there would be immense pressure from your Microsofts, Sonys, etc. to get something done in this regard.

There are.

www.resetera.com

Bloomberg: "EU Weighs Deal With TSMC, Samsung for Semiconductor Foundry" News

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-11/europe-weighs-semiconductor-foundry-to-fix-supply-chain-risk

www.resetera.com

Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co(TSMC) to spend US$3.5b on Arizona subsidiary News

https://focustaiwan.tw/business/202011100030

Oct 26, 2017
It's less "All of them" and more "Everything". Their chips are everywhere and they can barely keep demand as they are.
This might affect several electronic devices.
All three, yeah. TSMC handles AMD processors and GPUs, as well as the Switch SOC. NVIDIA is running their current GPUs through Samsung, and Intel has it's own fabs, but TSMC does pretty much everything else.
pretty much everything is effected. From the PS5 to a pair of headphones to cars to TVs.
I see, thanks everyone. :)

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Dag nabbit. I thought putting all of your eggs in one basket was the way to go.

Everyone (really not overstating that) has leaned too heavily on TSMC for their bleeding edge manufacturing needs. Global foundries... Intel... Samsung... whoever else... get your shit together.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
yeah this was my first thought. We shouldn't be worried about chips being made. I mean its good to know they will be affected. But emergency water should not be used for chip production but for the people being affected.

Sonicfan1373

Nov 24, 2017
So far much of what I have read has to do with the economic impact. What has the human impact of this crisis been for the people of Taiwan?

msboo001

Oct 25, 2017
really feels like we are reaching peak electronics/silicon in a way folks where worried about with peak oil

ohlawd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantagrande
reading the posts itt it feels like people are more concerned about the lack of chips than fucking people facing difficulty getting water

you know, that shit you need to live?

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Damn, I didn't even know there was a water crisis in Taiwan. Those poor people.

Forget the chips, focus on the people instead.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
This is apparently due to low rainfall.
focustaiwan.tw

TSMC buying trucked-in water in preparation for supply shortages - Focus Taiwan

Taipei, Feb. 23 (CNA) Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. (TSMC) began buying water by the truckload on Tuesday for some of its foundries in Taiwan, as reservoirs in parts of the country face dwindling water levels following months of scant rainfall.

Taipei, Feb. 23 (CNA) Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. (TSMC) began buying water by the truckload on Tuesday for some of its foundries in Taiwan, as reservoirs in parts of the country face dwindling water levels following months of scant rainfall... To date, water levels in several of Taiwan's central and southern reservoirs, including the Zengwen Reservoir, all currently stand at below 20 percent, according to WRA statistics.