• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Remember Hyper Scape? Ubisoft's entry into the battle royale sweepstakes went into open beta in July, and while the publisher was "thrilled with the response," it didn't exactly reshape the competitive shooter landscape. In an update posted today, Ubisoft acknowledged that "we were not able to achieve the high expectations we set for ourselves" with the full release on consoles that followed in August, and that players felt the same way.

Because of that, Ubisoft is restructuring its development team into a "cell-based format," similar to the setup used by developers on Rainbow Six Siege. Each development cell will be focused on one of five "pillars" that Ubisoft has determined are the key priorities to a successful future for Hyper Scape.

• Combat Comfort We always intended for Hyper Scape to have a high skill ceiling, but it is clear from our data that the floor is also too high. This results in a difficult experience for new players. Currently, it is too hard to aim, track and consistently damage players and eliminate them, especially on consoles.

• Onboarding The game does not currently provide enough time and opportunities for new players to learn and succeed. We need to protect newcomers and provide training activities to help them become proficient with the game.

• Game Modes Our core game mode, Crown Rush, can be quite unforgiving, so we want to provide players with a variety of formats in terms of activity and match size. This will start with introducing respawn systems in the game and "deathmatch" style game modes. We are also rethinking how we manage limited time modes and the player base split that is required to support multiple modes at once.

• Player goals Currently, there are not enough medium and long-term goals for players to stick around in the Hyper Scape. We are introducing first version of our Player Ranking system in Season 2, and we will bring more progression systems and match-to-match flow improvements as well.

• Cross Play While Cross Play has always been intended for the game, we want to add it earlier than planned to help address the current issues of lobby size.

www.pcgamer.com

Ubisoft admits Hyper Scape is too hard and kind of boring, promises big changes

Cross play is also on the way, sooner rather than later.

Udreif

May 29, 2020
I'll care when they add a "Getting rid of the abusers in our company" cell.

BuggeryBugz

Oct 29, 2017
At least their admitting it I suppose.

I think it's a good game at it's core so hopefully these changes can make it better.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
The rollout of the game plays a pivotal role in how the game never even remotely begun to achieve momentum. A PC only beta then dropping the console versions way later with no sign of the advertised cross-play just made a staggered slow rollout even more dragged out. It was a bafflingly fumbled launch plan especially considering where the genre is at.

The game obviously has other reasons why it's yet to catch on. But it is actually pretty fun.... there's something there, it's just not actually there yet.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say it's that hard compared to battle royale games that have taken off, but goddamn is it boring and the character designs just utterly bland.

Deleted member 70824

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2020
I've only watched videos of the game. To me, it looks like a fan made addon mode which got taken over by hackers.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I beta tested it during their streamer preview weekend and never touched it again. It was so uninspired and lacked anything enjoyable.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
somehow I've literally never heard of this game. Breaking into the battle royale genre seems like a really tough thing to do. Guess everyone is looking t that fortnite money and really wants in on it

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
That's probably going to bum my friend out. He loves playing HyperScape and likes the high skill ceiling.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Hope they can fix it. What a shame too as the game is developed by Singapore studio and feature a Malaysian character.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I tried this for like 5 minutes before I uninstalled it. The weird screen shake effects when shooting were absolutely nauseating, don't know what in the fuck they were thinking there.

Shame, since I liked the idea and the map looked cool too.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Oh wow. I've completely missed the game. Not sure how as it's from a big publiser like Ubisoft. I need to look into it.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
The traversal is great (although it should get wall running as a movement option). The shooting is kaka wee-wee. I'm a noob but I played over 50 games and managed 2 kills total.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I played one match and was so uninterested I deleted it lol. Neat idea, but doesn't feel like something that should've been out of Beta (It's not in Beta right? Regardless, I mean it should've been more limited so they could take in more feedback to make things better before a "big" release).

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are too many skill pickups that allow an enemy to escape damage.

While not the same in practice, the defense-focused concept of this game is also why I don't really like the gameplay in Fortnite.

TheBeardedDM

May 30, 2019
Good idea, very poorly executed. Game is not that hard but it isn't appealing in any way (considering my pov ofc). Dull, dull, dull.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
It feels pretty miserable to play, and doesn't even have things like "how do doors work" and "what abilities fit the game's style/play-space" thought through.

They did a disservice to everyone involved to push it into the spotlight in the state it's in.

Moksha

Jan 29, 2019
I wanted to like this. I enjoyed watching the PC beta. But as a console player, it controled very poorly, and it seems by their own admission that it still does.
I like to think I'd give it another chance if they improved the controls, but with games that feel as good to play as Apex it might not be worth my time.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
i played a few rounds and it was tough for me to differentiate where i was on the map. i know there were landmarks and things but everything just felt very samey. whereas in apex and warzone every area is pretty distinguishable even if buildings often have the same layout

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
With Warzone, PUBG, Fortnite and Apex Legends, there really is no room for another BR. Battlefield has a chance due to the built in player base. Firestorm had potential but without it being free it stood no chance