• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
nope. i just call it what it is.

Most games are derivative though. All ideas are built from others, and Pokemon itself took a lot of ideas from other games. Even semi recently I would say Mega evolution was a direct copy of the short term evolutions presented in Digimon (even using the name Mega evolution).

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Did I ever say that Temtem couldn't be good? Actually, did I ever say Temtem wasn't good? I don't remember saying that. I remember criticizing a specific aspect of the game that I did not like and thought could be better which you seem to have a big problem with. On the other hand, I really don't mind that you like the game for what it is. I'm glad people can enjoy it. In fact, I actually would be happy if the game somehow motivated Game Freak to improve Pokemon.

And I did explain how the game implements the things it copies from Pokemon poorly. I've done it multiple times both in this thread and the last one about with the same topic. I'm getting a bit tired of explaining it over and over especially since you don't seem to understand me at all. Like, I literally explained to you how I really liked the world building but disliked that the potential of it seemed a bit limited by forcing a bunch of Pokemon tropes into it but here you are acting like I never mentioned anything of the sort. Not sure what you want me to say that will satisfy you but I haven't exactly voiced my opinion here to convince you of anything.

Then just explain it. Because no you really haven't. Don't fall back on a: "I feel like explaining it again".

The closest you've gotten to is this:

What bothers me more is creative choices like there being dojos which are just gyms by a different name or an evil team but instead it's an evil clan. There are a lot of things of that nature that don't necessarily need to be there to make the type of gameplay you want. I just find myself wishing the game had its own identity but it only exists in relation to Pokemon.

Which again boils down to: "It's bad because Pokemon did it and Temtem shouldn't have done it."

Like even going as far as explaining stuff like:
  • Is the writing bad and not give justification for them existing?
  • Are the dojo leaders not interesting?
  • Are their difficulty too easy or too hard?
  • Are the fights in the dojo's actually any good?

Feb 20, 2019
But it's not. There's so much more differences that I noticed. What could be considered "copying" are these things:
-Starters handed to you by a scientist
-Patches of grass
-Rival
I didn't buy the game as of now but that's everything I noticed so far with gameplays and threads

No, catching monsters to train them isn't ripping off pokémon. No, healing your monsters with a futuristic device isn't ripping off pokémon. No, having type disadvantages and advantages isn't ripping off pokémon. No breeding your monsters isn't ripping off pokémon.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
I wanna try it out so bad. From what I read, it fixes a lot of issues that I have with current Pokemon. This won't dethrone Pokemon in any way, that is impossible, but I hope it fosters a good community of fans that support the game.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
It's fine to disagree with that but remember, my only issue is with you saying that people needed to play the game to have that opinion. I don't think they need to, there's plenty of the game online to take a good look yourself. I agree we're going in circles now though. I think I've made my point pretty clear as have you.

If Pokemon is going to sell no matter what, that simply reinforces the idea that people shouldn't criticize it because why should they change anything? "Why should they change anything" is just a bad counter argument. You just made a bad argument against criticism. That's all.

I would argue that the quality of a video game is very much tied to the quality of its creativity and ideas as much as the gameplay is. If the game was pure gameplay with some text on a white screen for us to understand what was going on, it would not have the same appeal. I've been pretty clear that I'm criticizing that one aspect of the game.

Also I did describe how these elements they copied from Pokemon are implemented poorly. I described how they basically just dropped them in because Pokemon does it without much thought otherwise. Believe it or not, a creative work being too derivative can make easily effect its quality - context matters. Because Temtem copies certain things from Pokemon without really considering how it makes sense in the world they crafted, it ends up feeling like an inferior version of Pokemon, like an off-brand cereal. It has those elements but they don't really click in the way Pokemon does which makes it look worse. I'd try to view Temtem in a vacuum but that's impossible because they leaned HARD into the Pokemon trappings.
IMO you are completelying glossing over the MMO part over the similarities from pokemon.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
I still cant believe everyone was calling the latest pokemon an indie looking game in aesthetic and quality followed by a super indie game in early access surpassing them no problem. Seems like people disappointed were proven correct very quickly.

People mad at Temtem should be mad at Gamefreak/Nintendo for making such stale games with such a big IP.

Jomatto

Oct 25, 2017
Good writing and a harder difficulty is pretty much all I want from Pokemon and it seems like this game is delivering on that. I'm down to check it out for myself.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
If they did that, people would then be bitching about how the game's creatures look too much like Pokémon.

The game is already getting flak for being too close to Pokemon for some people, to the point that it's being called a ripoff. This would make it even worse lol.

Considering what the thread's about, I don't think it would make much of a difference at this point. They could have at least bought the rights for the fire rabbit and grass monkey.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Temtem has horrible monster designs, and a generally unappealing art style. That alone is enough to write it off as any Pokémon competitor.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Every body listen! I have a controversial opinion that i dont think your ready for! Dont click this article if you don't wanna be shaken"

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Considering what the thread's about, I don't think it would make much of a difference at this point. They could have at least bought the rights for the fire rabbit and grass monkey.

Oh I'm not disagreeing with you, I love the design of the Platypet and the other two looked great. Just saying it would make the current situation even worse with how it's already being judged.

AbsoluteZ3R0

Feb 5, 2019
Have not played sword/shield but so far the game is definitely better than sun and moon. Can't believe how much of a difference having double battle and harder difficulty makers in terms battle. Aside from that, character and story is much much better than pokemon and you actually have a proper rival. Dungeons so far have also been better than latest pokemon entries. While I agree they might have borrowed a bit too much from pokemon; at this point, pokemon is so bottom of the barrel that even just adding higher difficulty, better writting and decent dungeon makes it much better than pokemon

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
TemTem is def doing better things then the last 3 pokemon gens, but that's not really hard to beat.

Nov 17, 2017
Then just explain it. Because no you really haven't. Don't fall back on a: "I feel like explaining it again".

The closest you've gotten to is this:

Which again boils down to: "It's bad because Pokemon did it and Temtem shouldn't have done it."

Like even going as far as explaining stuff like:
  • Is the writing bad and not give justification for them existing?
  • Are the dojo leaders not interesting?
  • Are their difficulty too easy or too hard?
  • Are the fights in the dojo's actually any good?
That's not the closest I've gotten, you've just decided that yourself. You've misrepresented my arguments several times at this point when I've literally explained myself multiple times here. I mean, at this point you aren't going to accept any reasoning I give you. Which is fine, I'm not here to convince you to agree with me. This is my opinion if that wasn't clear. I just think it's silly that you're so fixated on me having a criticism of the game compared to Pokemon when the topic of the thread is comparing the game to Pokémon. At this point you just need to accept that not everyone is going to love the game and all the decisions made on it and that's ok.

IMO you are completelying glossing over the MMO part over the similarities from pokemon.
You're right. I am. That's because I'm not talking about the gameplay for the most part but what surrounds it. It's not a criticism of every aspect of the game. I've stated multiple times that I'm addressing one aspect of the game and I've even said I don't think the actual gameplay should be that different from what it is. Not sure how I can be any clearer on this. I should probably just bow out of the discussion as I feel some people (not you) are a bit sensitive about this game being compared poorly to Pokémon.

Yunsar

Oct 27, 2017
Thank god there's someone here that knows how to argue
Personally my favorite monsters are well monsters: ugly creatures one which you point your fingers. Venusaur, Exploud, Galisopod... They're freaky beasts and I love them for that disgusting aspect ( all hail Garbodor ). That's why my least favorite mons are Ninetales, or Arcanine. They're based on not so monstrous real life things which would be okay if they were turned into abominations by the designers yet they're just, well... Foxes, and Doggos.

Actually, your mention of Garbodor reminded me of another reason why I think Pokemon still has the edge over Temtem: Pokemon has monsters based on inanimate objects, whereas Temtem doesn't.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Actually, your mention of Garbodor reminded me of another reason why I think Pokemon still has the edge over Temtem: Pokemon has monsters based on inanimate objects, whereas Temtem doesn't.

They still have 80+ to add to Temtem between now and full release, so there's still opportunity for them to do such a thing and that would be nice to see for variety.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
basically, what I'm trying to say is temtem is the gwent to pokemon's hearthstone.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
You're right. I am. That's because I'm not talking about the gameplay for the most part but what surrounds it. It's not a criticism of every aspect of the game. I've stated multiple times that I'm addressing one aspect of the game and I've even said I don't think the actual gameplay should be that different from what it is. Not sure how I can be any clearer on this. I should probably just bow out of the discussion as I feel some people (not you) are a bit sensitive about this game being compared poorly to Pokémon.
The bold is why i am saying you are completely ignoring the MMO. Just the fact that i can do the "entire" story by battling in CO-OP with my partner makes it a fundamentally very different experience. Fighting a gym in co-op would be very different to just having the gym.

you are supposedly laser focused in what surrounds the gameplay but are completely forgetting that the interaction between the gameplay and what surrounds it is different. This isn't the solitary experience of Pokemon where multiplayer is relegated to a building. IMO you saying something like " elements they copied from Pokemon are implemented poorly. " despite the fact that many of those elements for example can be interacted in CO-OP feels intentionally neglectful.

From my reading comprehension most of your comments read like you don't like X tem tem feature because pokemon did it before. Rather then you don't like X tem tem feature because pokemon does it better. That said IMO those 2 opinions will always be kinda mean since this is supposedly a much lower budget title and currently costs less than half of what pokemon costs.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
I dont know, i feel like people said stuff like this 30 years ago when another FPS besides Doom released. I feel like 'monster catching' is a genre, and it should be explored by other (maybe better) developers.

But obviously the first thing you think when seeing it play is Pokemon, its kinda hard not to.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had more fun in one day of playing TemTem than I had in my entire playthrough of Sword.

So yeah they're 100% right. Gameplay is 200x better. Dialogue is actually built for an adult and it's actually funny. World is beautiful graphics are better.

Only thing that Pokemon does better is the mon designs but it's not like every PKMN design is better than ever Tem's. It's close enough that all the other things TemTem does better means TemTem still comes out ahead.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
Can't shake the feeling that this is what The Surge was to Dark Souls.

However, I'm not at all opposed to other developers rolling with the formula. Yokai Watch was great as well, for instance.

I do wish they would have done a little bit more to distinguish themselves from Pokemon artistically.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had more fun in one day of playing TemTem than I had in my entire playthrough of Sword.

So yeah they're 100% right. Gameplay is 200x better. Dialogue is actually built for an adult and it's actually funny. World is beautiful graphics are better.

Only thing that Pokemon does better is the mon designs but it's not like every PKMN design is better than ever Tem's. It's close enough that all the other things TemTem does better means TemTem still comes out ahead.
I dont think the dialogue is especially written "for adults", but its just well written. Incredibly charming too.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
Can't shake the feeling that this is what The Surge was to Dark Souls.

However, I'm not at all opposed to other developers rolling with the formula. Yokai Watch was great as well, for instance.

I do wish they would have done a little bit more to distinguish themselves from Pokemon artistically.

the problem with this comparison is that Pokemon (especially S/S) was not anywhere close to Dark Souls. It's more like Code Vein to the Surge.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
the problem with this comparison is that Pokemon (especially S/S) was not anywhere close to Dark Souls. It's more like Code Vein to the Surge.
Now let's not be silly.

Pokémon is genre-defining and has been for decades. There's an argument to be made that it's gotten stale, but they OWN the genre and its tropes.

My point to the comparison, as many posts itt will attest, is that it, on the surface, appears to be too similar to the source material.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I still cant believe everyone was calling the latest pokemon an indie looking game in aesthetic and quality followed by a super indie game in early access surpassing them no problem. Seems like people disappointed were proven correct very quickly.

People mad at Temtem should be mad at Gamefreak/Nintendo for making such stale games with such a big IP.
PC vs Switch. If Temtem doesnt look better than Pokemon the devs are doing something wrong. let's see how this runs on a switch before doing this lazy dev rhetoric.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched the DF video on this game last night, I like that Pokemon is getting some more competition, but I don't like the fact that this game is a wholesale ripoff of Pokemon down to the number of monsters in your party and the number of moves available to each monster. Wish they tried to differentiate the game a bit.

Astior

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 15, 2020
User Warned: lazy dev rhetoric
PC vs Switch. If Temtem doesnt look better than Pokemon the devs are doing something wrong. let's see how this runs on a switch before doing this lazy dev rhetoric.

I think in your effort to defend Gf lazy work you are selling the switch short, we already saw what graphic powerhouse the switch is when you put the effort, problems is, they didn't.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont think the dialogue is especially written "for adults", but its just well written. Incredibly charming too.

In Pokemon if I mashed A through conversations I felt like I wasn't missing anything.

In TemTem that's not true. That's basically a microcosm of Pokemon vs TemTem for me. Pokemon is living off it's legacy. If they both came out for the first time today TemTem, imo, would be the more successful game.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think in your effort to defend Gf lazy work you are selling the switch short, we already saw what graphic powerhouse the switch is when you put the effort, problems is, they didn't.
It can be true, but you can't say that an indie deve is doing better than then by comparing the PC version of their game with Pokemon
In TemTem that's not true. That's basically a microcosm of Pokemon vs TemTem for me. Pokemon is living off it's legacy. If they both came out for the first time today TemTem, imo, would be the more successful game.
Considering that without Pokemon there wouldnt be TemTem this comparison doesnt make much sense. It also ignores the whole multimedia aspect that pokemon has and TemTem doesnt.

Astior

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 15, 2020
It can be true, but you can't say that an indie deve is doing better than then by comparing the PC version of their game with Pokemon

Considering that without Pokemon there wouldnt be TemTem this comparison doesnt make much sense. It also ignores the whole multimedia aspect that pokemon has and TemTem doesnt.

I think you can, having a game which is moving low poly stuff like you find in pokemon and manages to have laggy zones (raids) is the equivalent of it being laggy on pc, my suspect (given how this problem does not occur in every switch game and as such is probably hardware indipendent) seems to be related to poor coding and lack of optimization. If temtem did that on pc probably raw power could not brute force a solution. I could actually argue that being on pc with not a fixed hardware is probably more difficult that optimizing on a console.

BradenAndEggs

Jan 8, 2018
TemTem seems to lack all of the charm that Pokemon still has. It's missing the "x" factor Pokemon was able to land on when it was first released.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mean that's the point lol. You're looking at as a brand. I'm looking at it purely as this game vs that game. TemTem is still early access, maybe they fuck it all up. But if rest of the game is as good as the first island and a half it would be the superior game.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Echoing this. It'll be fair to compare Pokemon and Temtem's graphical fidelity when Temtem is out on Switch.

Counterpoint, I do feel that Temtem feels more polished than Pokemon visually, but more in ways that aren't tied to processing power or performance, and more to the time, finesse and attention to detail that was put into developing the art assets. Things like the very flashy and well-made visual FX that are used for attacks, and the lack of any kind of moves where the creature's model is shifted around like Pokemon has. Temtem feels more cohesive and consistent in this aspect, even taking into account the moves that have obvious placeholder animations.

Last edited: