• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
alcremie.jpg

polteageist.jpg

Get it? The British love their tea and strawberries and cream.
I love both these pokemon. So if you're throwing shade, we can take this outside. Wus gud fam?

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just glad I can experience a monster collection game again, this time on PC. Last time I played one was Pokemon Sapphire so this really scratches that itch.

The cherry on top is the game is genuinely fun and has a surprising amount of polish for being in EA.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Temtem is a fantastic game already. Comparisons just bring out the worst in fanbases so I won't make any but the game is really, really good with polish and love poured into every aspect of it. Only half the content is in so far and many features are still missing yet the game is already something special.

Nov 17, 2017
Don't get me wrong, I believe the game is ok, but they should try to make their own version instead of just copy paste and add a few layers of paint.
Yeah, I feel the same way. I wish the game had its own identity instead of just being a blatant, uninspired clone. So much about it is relative to Pokemon that instead of seeing mechanics or plot/setting elements for what they are, it's just "oh this is Temtem's version of ____ from Pokemon." So much stuff is just literally Pokemon but with the names switched. "Gotta go beat all the gyms- er- I mean dojos. Oh, maybe I'll try and catch a shin- cough- LUMA. Looks like Team - no - Clan Belsoto is up to no good again!"

I've been disappointed in Pokemon since Gen 6 and think the series needs a serious shot in the arm but this kind of uninspired work puts me off the game from a creative perspective. I'd actually love for a game to light a fire under Pokemon's ass by being a similar type of game but I wish it had its own unique identity instead of standing on Pokemon's shoulder and saying it's taller. It seems to me at least that the devs want to target lapsed Pokemon fans who are dissatisfied with the stagnation and simplification of the series so they're content with just making the same game and then building on top of it. That kind of approach just isn't for me. I do hope the game does well enough to make Game Freak improve Pokemon though I doubt it will regardless of its own success. If it does happen, I'd just play that Pokemon game lol

they absolutely do not. Sword and Shield has some of the strongest designs in the entire franchise.

there are better and worse pokemon but on average they are miles ahead of any temtem. i mean i'm not blaming them for not living up to pokemon but even among clone games their designs are very poor. i've played plenty of rom hacks with nicer designs.
Yeah, it's kind of funny how one of the most popular creatures from the game (from what I've seen) was originally a fakemon made by a fan artist to look like a leaked starter Pokemon.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I hope TemTem does well and I'll probably try it when it's fully released, but yeah the monster designs are really uninteresting. It really kills a lot of my interest and I hope they improve it moving forward.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, as a Pokémon fan, I'm all for Temtem success. It's alway nice to see people trying their hand on monster catching games and variety is good.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Can't remember the last time I got really into a Pokemon game (Pearl?), but this looks pretty okay. I'm gonna hold off until it's out of EA though.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
YOU LEAVE ALCREMIE ALONE ALCREMIE DID NOTHING WRONG.

I think I will jump into Temtem at some point, but I admit that the biggest hurdle for me at the moment is the look, which also happens to be the part of the game I think is most distinctive. Temtem's first town has a colour scheme it very much sticks to, all teal and purple and yellow and whatnot, and for some reason I can't get into it as much. I also don't love the artstyle used for the human characters.

The world could use a few more solid Pokemon competitors though, and if anything I hope Temtem finds way to diverge even further from the Pokemon model in meaningful and creative ways.

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't played Pokémon in a while so I can't speak about their quality in the most recent entries, but I can't respect temtem for being such a blatant rip off either.
The article generated this discussion so I guess ultimately the writer won, we are talking about it.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
In some ways but not in most ways. The color palette really put me off. I'm not even a Pokemon fanboy either having only played 3 of the games and never watching the show.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
It's almost unfair Temtem is being put in this position because it's invetibly going to disappointment with these expectations. The scale is very ambitious for an indie game and it offers something different to Pokémon with its MMO elements. The greater design elements though are very hard to compete with, Temtem's creature designs for instance are decent for what they are but they aren't on the level of Pokémon - and creature design is a major pilar of what makes these games so good.

I hope the developers do well for themselves. I don't think they should have to be competing head to head with a media giant.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Im waiting to buy when they add the rest of their creatures to the game but it look promising from what I have seen. The art style is no Pokemon and I think the trainers are kinda bad looking but its cute enough.

Nov 26, 2017
Considering today's news, if not for the fact that PokeMMO exists I'd say TemTem is looking pretty appealing right now.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Zzzzz. This would be like if someone who exclusively wrote about wrestling claimed the XFL was better than the NFL because it builds on what the NFL does! A loaded statement from an incredibly biased party.

I like a handful of Temtem's designs. Saipat, Ganki, Smazee are all adorable and I'd love to have plushies of them irl.

The main problem with Temtem's design philosophy at the moment is that they don't take enough risk, particularly with evolutions. A lot of the evos so far suffer from "it just gets bigger" syndrome. No changes in color or anything. Also a lot of the designs are just [element] animal, akin to the issue that Gamefreak had with designs back in Gen 1. Hopefully over time their art team feels more comfortable with branching out with design inspiration and devising more dramatic changes with evolutions.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
You make it sound like creatures inspired by elements that are relevant to the geographical locations they're based on is a bad thing. Plus those are just good designs in general.
It feels like Pokemon's been leaning into those kinds of designs a bit more each generation. It's subjective, but I know plenty of people don't find them very interesting.
I know I've heard that Crema isn't going to have any "object" Temtem, and I'd imagine that extends to not having Temtem that are very heavily based on popular culture things.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I don't feel like people understand that LOTS of people play Pokemon for the competitive battling, the single player "easy" adventure is for the every-man. People who want a "Pokemon Hard Mode" play the game online.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of platform warriors projecting ITT.
I'm sure the fine folks of PC Gamer can appreciate a game for reasons other than it being on PC.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I mean if there was a series screaming for someone to come make it better, it was certainly pokemon. As soon as I saw it I knew it was going to be a better game.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I mean as a consumer between TemTem and Pokemon its a matter of marketing appeal and character designs vs strong single player content at this point and right now I'm not sure I give a fuck about marketing appeal.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
I mean... it looks 100% exactly the same ... how can it be better when it's literally the same old thing... but new?

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I really want to try out this game but cmon , it's never going to beat Pokémon, pokemon is just too big now to be "dethroned" in this genre.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
I mean... it looks 100% exactly the same ... how can it be better when it's literally the same old thing... but new?
It's an mmo, it literally cannot be the same old thing. The complete game will have ranked matchmaking, clans battles, auction house on top of being able to trade/challenge/play coop with people around you/friendlist.
Can you play coop in pokemon? Legitimate question cause i dont know.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It does look good. I wish it was cheaper though. I don't really do 30€ experiments.

edit: Then again, I guess I could return it?

rrost

Banned
Jul 20, 2018
Serious Question - Does any average consumer buy pokemon game for anything other than new pokemons and brand familiarity?
You can make as high production value clone as you want. It will never become pokemon.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to try out this game but cmon , it's never going to beat Pokémon, pokemon is just too big now to be "dethroned" in this genre.
A game doesn't have to dethrone another game to be a better experience. Pokemon has hollywood movies for marketing, that would be a tough thing to overcome.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Enjoy while you can, TemTem fans.

It's all fun and games now, but by gen 3 the wunners will come...

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
That's great and all, except one problem...

Not a single one of those creatures are as cool as Pokemon.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It certainly caters to those who want a more modern approach to the formular. And it's a bit telling that a kickstarter game does a lot of things better than the biggest media franchise in existence. It's not hard to understand why some people side with the underdog in this case.

Feb 20, 2019
I love threads were people get angry against each other for something purely subjective. You can't say the game is bad just because you don't like the designs, at least come up with some arguments to justify WHY they're bad designs and then we'll talk. Why the fuck would you post a picture of a pokemon/temtem with the term "eew" written under it when it's just your opinion and not your basis for objectively reviewing a video game?

MikeH

Dec 3, 2018
Thinking TemTem is going to be the Pokemon killer is like thinking some random comic writer is going to put Marvel out of business.

And for the record, I think SuMo and SwSh are terrible games.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I like the design of the world, the costumes and hair you can pick, and the graphics/performance. Running it at max monitor framerates with no sweat. It should be 60fps at the least on consoles, and maybe 120 for PS5/Xbox Series X?

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Main problem here is mmo.

I don't want people walking around, even if I don't talk to them.

OmniStrife

Dec 11, 2017
Haven't tried Temtem yet, but being a better Pokemon than Pokemon doesn't sound like such a difficult task anymore to be honest.