• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I'm repeating myself, but how could you name your game TemTem?
That alone will hinder the success of this game, in my opinion.
Aside from the fact that most of the probably 20 million people that bought Sword/Shield liked it and aren't really interested in a lower budget, more hardcore and competetive version of it.
It was an indie kickstarter from 2018, I don't think they anticipated the level of mainstream coverage they have been getting lately.

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
From what I've played of the ingame stuff, yeah I like the campagin so far in temtem more in Sword and Shield, there's an actual difficulty there!

Hard to say on the competitive side though, as I don't quite have a handle on it yet. However, I think the breeding mechanics sound worse, and the current way to "EV train" (called TVs in this game) is really awful and grindy. Granted, competitive Pokemon is my main concern, and I realize I'm a pretty niche part of that audience.

Still, Temtem has a lot of potential, I like what I've played thus far!

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
a game can be a rip off without infringing on the source material's copyright. you know that, right?
You call it a "blatant rip off" based on what, your subjective bias without probably even having played the game? Maybe you should try the game first or something.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, that's weak. Look at this perfection:

j6vygiszzfd41.png
Hahah, Oh my gosh.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You do realize Temtem has been quite the success already thus far, right?

People being very transparent.
They're not wrong though. The game's success and general appraisal is directly adjacent to how much it's standing on the shoulders of giants. Personally, nothing of the game has sold me on the individuality of its presentation, which even that was something SwSh managed to nail in one fell swoop despite its mechanical shortcomings.

As a backer that has been playing this game since Alpha and loving it, PLEASE stop making Temtem out to be what it isn't. I don't want people coming to an EA release expecting the second coming of christ when it's currently an in-progress game.

May 13, 2019
All this talk about competition for Pokemon. There has been a better, and honestly more "viable" competitor in Yokai Watch. Even came with a cartoon also.

Not trying to sound mean, but i'll be surprised if this game last long enough for the next Pokemon gen to come.
Indeed but Level 5 happened and now Yokai Watch is all but dead and gone. At least globally.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
you think it has had that success based on its own merits, or people's curiosity about what a pokemon clone made by someone other than game freak plays like?

Well considering the playerbase didn't drop off a cliff. I'd say so.

It's been having incredibly good word of mouth since it launched.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but if they are even a bit serious about it they should've put more effort in the naming/branding.
Names grow on people. My nephew says it a lot. It does sound weird, but I'm glad he's enjoying the game. He doesn't have a switch and I remember buying him Pokemon XY or something (weren't there pokemon that looked like a x and y). He had a great PC though so this was perfect.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
When the best thing you can say about a game is that it's better than the thing they are trying to copy, you aren't praising anything.

This headline is trying to sell the article harder than they trying to sell the game.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
I will say that at least Temtem acknowledges that non-straight people exist. And clothes aren't locked by gender.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Slightly off topic, but does anyone know if Temtem ever plans on having a monthly fee?

They do not plan on having one.

In terms of a business model to support the game we know there will eventually be a cosmetic shop where you will be able to buy outfits for your tamer. Though you can also buy outfits with ingame currency it's just really expensive.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its funny seeing so many people correlating a product from a company thats being notoriously stagnant for the last decade to their own childhoods, defending it against all harm.

Nostalgia alone will probably make sure that Temtem will never as big as Pokemon, but its an undeniable fact that what we got so far from this early access is incredibly good game, oozing charm both in its presentation, music and writing.

I will say that at least Temtem acknowledges that non-straight people exist. And clothes aren't locked by gender.

Plus this. So refreshing seeing the sheer amount of queer represenation.

CaseyVGCx

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
The devs of Temtem were pretty smart to capitalize on the Sw/Sh fiasco, I hope they do well and this game is not just a fad. Personally, the game really isn't for me. Mainly because I really don't like the art style of the Temtems, the NPC, and the graphics in general.

Let's be honest, if Sw/Sh wasn't as much of a shitshow, people wouldn't be looking for alternatives. Temtem just happens to be at the right place at the right time. It wouldn't be this popular on its own.

May 13, 2019
The position in which Yokai Watch right now is pretty much irrelevant, because even at it's prime and prior to Level 5 being Level 5, it just never reached Pokemon. And that while it was positioned to be a solid rival.
That's right. Hell, methinks the YW anime beating Pokemon anime in ratings was the kick in the pants the show needed, hence all the noticeable improvements in the Alola seasons.

VirtualCloud

Aug 3, 2018
Man the amount of defensive people here is crazy. So what if its using the Pokemon formula? Good let them fill the void game freak doesn't want to cater to. Temtem will never be more popular than Pokemon but it doesn't have to be to prove its a success.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
You are cementing it as a copy instead of a thing of it's own. Pathetic.

Every time in the past these copies came out, they failed miserably in having any long impact.
If it's a better copy and will be available on all platforms it's not so bad. Plus, no subscription fees.

Though online-only and expensive cosmetics are a shame.

QuinchoOsito

Oct 10, 2018
They do not plan on having one.

In terms of a business model to support the game we know there will eventually be a cosmetic shop where you will be able to buy outfits for your tamer. Though you can also buy outfits with ingame currency it's just really expensive.
Cool, thanks. That's what it seemed like but it's good to have confirmation.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Not with those designs it ain't
I think there's something to be said when people say that the best Temtem is Platypet, you know the one that was originally was part of a fake starter leak about Sun/Moon that only got in the game because one of the backers bought the rights from the original creator

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hate the style and think the monster design is mediocre. Glad to hear it's mechanically sound at least

AzVal

May 7, 2018
I am genuinely curious about the current and future reception in Japan, thats where Yokai Watch had bigger pressence and is now dead right?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
The position in which Yokai Watch right now is pretty much irrelevant, because even at it's prime and prior to Level 5 being Level 5, it just never reached Pokemon. And that while it was positioned to be a solid rival.

Level 5 is such a waste of potential, still hope they can get their shit together

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think there's something to be said when people say that the best Temtem is Platypet, you know the one that was originally was part of a fake starter leak about Sun/Moon that only got in the game because one of the backers bought the rights from the original creator
That's really the only one that stands out to me unfortunately, yeah. Very few of the creatures or characters in the game feel like they really hit upon a strong, impressionable design. Half of the time when new Pokémon or Gym Leaders were revealed for SwSh I was instantly compelled to draw fan art but nothing has quite evoked that for me with Temtem.