• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I always laugh when people say this. Most of them are uninspired tosh.
it's objectively not true. most of them are well designed, full of charm and you can tell by looking at them what they are all about and what type they are.

that's absolutely not true for temtem, again i'm not blaming a small indie dev. for not reaching the level of pokemon designers but even compared to other small pokemon-like games their designs are bad.

Jan 9, 2018
10000% agreed . Played 20 hours over 2 and a half days . Makes you use your entire team. Types actually matter. World and paths feel alive and fleshed out. Interesting characters and side quests, story twists against the norms of the genre. Temtem take a lot of effort to improve it's not all about overpowering. One move can save your entire battle. Going to be high up on my best games of 2020

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does it though? Feels like those people just aren't the market for Pokemon anymore.

Sword/Shield is straight up not good. Like, at all. It lives or dies on individual monster design + how invested the player is in catching them because there's nothing else going for it. The story is *shockingly* terrible; the "kid's game" excuse doesn't even hold up here. The villain's motivation is so bad and so stupid that the script literally questions itself at a key moment. Like... I know good stories exist in children's media. This is not it. I don't need to go into how bad the wild area is.

Temtem is definitely not perfect but even after 2 hours with the game it's abundantly clear that this genre can be done so much better than what GF has been doing.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Given how far they've progressed with Pokemon since the original, it's not surprising that an indie would eventually take over. If we had something like a UE4 open-world full 3D pokemon + pokemon snap built-in this wouldn't have happened. They've just been milking the franchise without taking it to new heights.

Anything that pushes them further into doing that is good by me as otherwise it won't happen for another 40 years the way they've been going. Competition is good and I hope Temtem is very successful.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
Sword/Shield is straight up not good. Like, at all. It lives or dies on individual monster design + how invested the player is in catching them because there's nothing else going for it. The story is *shockingly* terrible; the "kid's game" excuse doesn't even hold up here. The villain's motivation is so bad and so stupid that the script literally questions itself at a key moment. Like... I know good stories exist in children's media. This is not it. I don't need to go into how bad the wild area is.

Temtem is definitely not perfect but even after 2 hours with the game it's abundantly clear that this genre can be done so much better than what GF has been doing.

Okay but the game sold really well and seems to have good word of mouth in general.
It's fine if you don't like it but it's not a bad game at all.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of how Tem Tem turns out, watching Pokemon fans get defensive never gets old.
tenor.gif

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Just balance thing out and make it overall more challenging and you will gain a lot of pokemon older fan that drop the series like me.
Challenge isn't even the main issue. The real issue is how playing the game feels like a chore. The game is designed to make it seem you have freedom to explore, but in reality you don't have any freedom apart from what Pokemon you use. It was super obvious in Unova, Kalos and now Galar. It's almost as if it's on rails. And the game always tries to handhold you, exasperating the 'challenge' issue.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
After all the hyperbole surrounding The Outer Worlds I'll check out people's opinions later.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay but the game sold really well and seems to have good word of mouth in general.
It's fine if you don't like it but it's not a bad game at all.

Like I said, I think it really lives or dies on how invested someone is in the designs + desire to catch.

If anyone thinks these games are legitimately good for any other reason, I would be surprised.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I've only played 5 hours of temtem and close to 200 hours of Pokemon Sword, but honestly temtem isn't even close to being the better game. There are a plethora of issues and all the game has offered so far is an uninspired rip off of Pokemon stats and moves. I was convinced to buy it via the resetera thread and articles like the one in the op but I really regret my purchase. Temtem isn't doing a single thing new and exciting and as a seasoned Pokemon vet I appreciate how game freak at least does new things every gen that keep it fresh.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
The worst thing about Temtem threads is that the game is rarely discussed. Just people disagreeing over Pokémon issues.

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
I remember when people also said this about Yokai Watch.

Also by virtue of being always online and those trash designs it isn't.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The worst thing about Temtem threads is that the game is rarely discussed. Just people disagreeing over Pokémon issues.
most people obviously don't care about temtem on its own, but only in relation to pokemon. that's why the articles have to use clickbait titles to get people to click and care, otherwise they'd be like "what's a temtem?".

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao some people in here are so defensive.
It's a small indie developper improving the Pokemon formula, it's fine.
It isnt fine treating this like a fact, I bet people that are "defensive" played more of pokemon and temtem than PCGamer, that is literally a PC publication, to judge

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think it's too early to tell which is better out of Temtem and Sword/Shield. One's a blatantly unfinished game that needs more development but might yet be saved by future content. The other one's Temtem.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
most people obviously don't care about temtem on its own, but only in relation to pokemon. that's why the articles have to use clickbait titles to get people to click and care, otherwise they'd be like "what's a temtem?".

You do realize Temtem has been quite the success already thus far, right?

People being very transparent.

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
Just looked at the full list of temtems, they are pretty charming in most case outside of a few bland one but none really look bad. At least there's no flying ice cream and the likes, i'd say it's a win.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of those designs, and that in the end for me is the #1 reason to play these games, so ehhhhh...

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Anahir can get things back on track, stunning everyone with perfection.

From reddit, this is my motivational wallpaper.
lfmtlqg49xc41.png

I like using the lightning snake that can heal itself with chain lightning. A full enemy group damage + heal at the same time, so good. Though the stamina usage makes it so it can't be spammed, tactical use for big serious battles, especially if the enemy isn't weak to lightning, or worse, gets healed by lightning.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Why are people so defensive? GF stands for Game Freak not Girl Friend. People are allowed a different opinion.. nothing here is stated as a fact.

Jan 2, 2018
I'm repeating myself, but how could you name your game TemTem?
That alone will hinder the success of this game, in my opinion.
Aside from the fact that most of the probably 20 million people that bought Sword/Shield liked it and aren't really interested in a lower budget, more hardcore and competetive version of it.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think that Temtem is the Stardew Valley moment for the Pokemon Harvest Moon. I dont think the franchise will ever catch up (hohoho), Temtem is already miles ahead in every department and its only going to grow over time.

Hero Prinny

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly overall I'd say temtem is the better game overall. My biggest issue with temtem atm is that there arent no AMAZING creatures but that comes down to preference. Thats also an issue that can be resolved with "gen 2" if they hire different artists or just go with a different style. It still has a lot it can improve on though.