• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
it's not just a 'clone' inspired by Pokémon but it's a successful game in its own right and a big part of this is because Temtem addresses many of Pokémon's shortcomings.

Temtem tries to improve on Pokémon's traditional grind. Characters throughout the world have various sidequests that make you traverse between towns. You still need to fight a little, but at least you can see three or four other people running around in circles in the same grass patch, which at least makes you feel that little less silly.

Its foundations are built from Nintendo's creature collecting RPG but then it expands upon it into something different, and better.

Full article: https://www.pcgamer.com/temtem-is-even-better-than-pokemon-on-pc/

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
PCGamer says that PC clone of Pokemon is better than Pokemon, we will continue informing.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to see an analysis of competitive players.

I dont really care about the pokemon campaigns, but if the PVP is fun I might try it.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Temtem looks surprisingly good, especially from a small developer but...

Temtem tries to improve on Pokémon's traditional grind. Characters throughout the world have various sidequests that make you traverse between towns. You still need to fight a little, but at least you can see three or four other people running around in circles in the same grass patch, which at least makes you feel that little less silly.

this made me laugh. I am not sure this is as strong an argument as the writer thinks it is.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
It's about time Pokemon had some serious competition.
Might light a fire under their arse.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
You know what, it looks leagues better based on previews and trailers so I'm inclined to agree. Stuff like this is going to push me over the edge to buy.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This'll be interesting.

177.gif

This thread will be double the fun now that we just got the Pokemon Home news drop. Temtem is certainly nicer on your wallet at least.

I got a copy of Temtem but haven't had the time to dive into it yet. So you'll need to wait before my opinion on the matter.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Haven't played Temtem yet but from what i'm hearing it's pretty good. Hope it lights a fire under the pokemon franchise. It has been stale for some time

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It really is, Pokémon is awful right now, the Pokémon Home news doesn't help either.

Temtem feels fresh and amazing while also feeling familiar.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I think the combat system was tweaked in some really great ways to make it a lot more fun PvE.

Honestly I don't think it's that crazy to say it's better. Monster variety is way lower obviously, but my first impression of the battling is that it seems really damn good compared to regular Pokemon.

Last edited:

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon stopped being good years ago so it is not hard to be better at Pokemon in 2020.
Yeah... Sun and Moon was my reintroduction to the series after my last Pokemon game was Platinum, and I couldn't even bear to complete it. Temtem has none of the problems I had with Sun/Moon, and that I hear Sword/Shield have even worse.

AdamE

3D Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
The game does nothing to appeal to me, but I am genuinely glad it exists and people are arguing that It's better than Pokémon. Maybe that'll provide some inspiration for adding more fresh new ideas in Pokémon?

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
After playing the game for 20 hours - no lies detected.

It definitely has some glaring flaws - Pokemon just has even bigger ones.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I dunno.

Like, half the fun of Pokemon lies with the great monster designs, and regardless of gameplay, Temtem's monsters look pretty bad.

Oct 29, 2017
PCGamer says that PC clone of Pokemon is better than Pokemon, we will continue informing.
This was my thought, too... I'd imagine that the writer of the article had access to Pokemon but the fact that this is the first time that a "real" Pokemon style game (and not a rom hack or fangame) has been released on PC is playing into this. The improvements alone are not enough to make it necessarily "replace" Pokemon for me yet.

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
I'm only 10 hours in but that's a big no for me.

Maybe it's just me, the only thing that i really appreciates from Temtem is the difficulty, but it's absurd at the same time.

Yes it's early access and I'm sure many of these features will be added down the line but saying the game is better than Pokemon is just... no.
The map design is not good, it makes you walk around without any real indication, they ask you to visit certain town or areas but the map doesn't show location name. And many of the quest requires you to walk way too far.
The balancing pisses me off. I'm having trouble killing level 15 stuff with level 20, you do have to really understand the weakness chart but I constantly have to run back to healing station and that's just not fun.
The NPC/conversation is just god awful. Every NPC talks too much, I have to click through, averagely, 10 times for every NPC to battle them. And every conversation are pointless.

I will definitely return for more and I'm excited for the future of this game, it's rather promising. But this game made me appreciate SwSh a whole lot more, I was pretty much having fun throughout my playthrough of SwSh, and so far my experience with Temtem is quite the opposite. Just boring grinding to progress.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Temtem's increased difficulty over Pokémon (especially recent games like Sun/Moon and Sword/Shield) is greatly appreciated. I like a lot of the battle changes (stamina gauge, and the way that some moves are stronger if your second Temtem is a certain type) as well.

I think there's room for both to coexist and learn from each other. I hope Game Freak takes note of people's interest in Temtem, sees why they're interested, and makes changes accordingly in their own games.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
if the temtems looked decent i might be interested but they look absolutely terrible. i have no interest in collecting them.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I think there are definitely areas in which it is better than Pokémon because it's designed to address fan feedback instead of ignoring it like Pokémon. I hope it succeeds.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
That so many people consider an early access game an improvement over the biggest gaming IP says something about the state of the latter.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
All this talk about competition for Pokemon. There has been a better, and honestly more "viable" competitor in Yokai Watch. Even came with a cartoon also.

Not trying to sound mean, but i'll be surprised if this game last long enough for the next Pokemon gen to come.

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
I mean PC gamer isn't wrong. For anyone who has actually played tem tem (vs. just watching gameplay clips), it's pretty evident.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
I'm only 10 hours in but that's a big no for me.

Maybe it's just me, the only thing that i really appreciates from Temtem is the difficulty, but it's absurd at the same time.

Yes it's early access and I'm sure many of these features will be added down the line but saying the game is better than Pokemon is just... no.
The map design is not good, it makes you walk around without any real indication, they ask you to visit certain town or areas but the map doesn't show location name. And many of the quest requires you to walk way too far.
The balancing pisses me off. I'm having trouble killing level 15 stuff with level 20, you do have to really understand the weakness chart but I constantly have to run back to healing station and that's just not fun.
The NPC/conversation is just god awful. Every NPC talks too much, I have to click through, averagely, 10 times for every NPC to battle them. And every conversation are pointless.

I will definitely return for more and I'm excited for the future of this game, it's rather promising. But this game made me appreciate SwSh a whole lot more, I was pretty much having fun throughout my playthrough of SwSh, and so far my experience with Temtem is quite the opposite. Just boring grinding to progress.

These were god awful in Sw/Sh too

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Don't get me wrong, I believe the game is ok, but they should try to make their own version instead of just copy paste and add a few layers of paint.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
i watched some stream of the beginning and this was the biggest issue i had, the dialogue and the NPCs are god awful.

Nah. The dialogue is pretty fun and they actually let you inject personality into your character.

It's kid friendly writing but unlike Pokemon doesn't think that everyone is an idiot and requires it to be so simple that it's insulting.