• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not about recommending unpopular stuff, the issue is it recommends UNRELEASED stuff less now. So that dev with an upcoming game that was getting tons of wishlists two weeks ago is now getting a lot less visitors to his page, supposedly.

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
Popular =/= quality

I guess leading users to big publishers and popular indie games may avoid those to leave steam on favor of EGS, but not sure how homogenitization of the market is good for videogames from a cultural and diversity standpoint.
The same goes to unpopular=/=quality.

We could be all the day discussing this. The only option is not to depend of an algorithm and have more human curation but with the release schedule Steam has it would require a lot of manpower (and they should as it will make that 30% cut to actually make sense). And right now, Epic only chases popular indies.

Last edited:

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I hope we end up getting complete numbers so we can properly judge if that change was a good or bad change as a whole. Maybe it was a zero sum game, maybe it actually decreased or increased the overall number of game bought or wishlisted.
One thing for sure is that I do appreciate going for more visibility for released game over upcoming games ( regardless of EGS exclusivity thingy, thought I do give bonus points for that ).

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Popular =/= quality

I guess leading users to big publishers and popular indie games may avoid those to leave steam on favor of EGS, but not sure how homogenitization of the market is good for videogames from a cultural and diversity standpoint.

I never talked about quality though.

It's also not homogenizing the market, you still get unknown indie breakout hits every year like before. It's just more spread out across several games instead of one making the millions upon millions like last decade. You also have several option at your disposal if you want to discover something new and different.

I really don't see how we can expect Valve to not only push quality games to its users but also quality games that aren't very popular. How can you do that unless you play everything out there? You need some kind of basis in reality to recommend a worthwhile game to a particular user, be it by what his friend list is playing, games from similar genre, or what's popular.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The same goes to unpopular=/=quality.

We could be all the day discussing this. And right now, Epic only chases popular indies.

I never said that Epic does not chase popular stuff, actually that's why I argued many times in Epic threads, that they aim to popular indie/big publishers. That's why I always stated that Epic's model is a doubled edged sword. Instead of making the market more competitive is making it more homogeneous. Valve is reacting, but what people thought to become a competitive field for all these poor indie devs to thrive and raise is actually the contrary.

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
I never said that Epic does not chase popular stuff, actually that's why I argued many times in Epic threads, that they aim to popular indie/big publishers. That's why I always stated that Epic's model is a doubled edged sword. Instead of making the market more competitive is making it more homogeneous. Valve is reacting, but what people thought to become a competitive field for all these poor indie devs to thrive and raise is actually the contrary.
Yeah, sorry I misread that last line. :/

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
It's not about recommending unpopular stuff, the issue is it recommends UNRELEASED stuff less now. So that dev with an upcoming game that was getting tons of wishlists two weeks ago is now getting a lot less visitors to his page, supposedly.
Yeah, recommending released games instead of unreleased ones seems like a good change to me.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never talked about quality though.

It's also not homogenizing the market, you still get unknown indie breakout hits every year like before. It's just more spread out across several games instead of one making the millions upon millions like last decade. You also have several option at your disposal if you want to discover something new and different.

I really don't see how we can expect Valve to not only push quality games to its users but also quality games that aren't very popular. How can you do that unless you play everything out there? You need some kind of basis in reality to recommend a worthwhile game to a particular user, be it by what his friend list is playing, games from similar genre, or what's popular.

An indie breakthrough doesn't mean is not following popular trends from other successful products. Is something that happens already enough and this will further exacerbate the issue. If only what deemed popular can succeed, indie devs will likely to follow trends and what Steam recommends to people so they can get in the "recommended" section. Why take risks on genres not popular if Steam is gonna marginalize your game in favor of popular genres and other similar games?

On a industry already hard on risks this is making the problem worse. Precisely, what indie games, specifically succeeded, is to separate itself from what the publishers was dictating and make their own way and games. Steam was the platform that, mostly, allowed that. Not anymore.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You really can't separate the two though.

And helping game already released and in actual need of resources (more than a game in development) should be a good thing for the development side as well.

Why would a game that's been released need more resources than one in development? It's the polar opposite, especially when the system is recommending popular stuff, which obviously doesn't need resources because it's already successful.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Having the most comprehensive discovery tools doesn't mean having the best. I'm not sure that many people actually bother to use them, I also don't get the idea the algorithm cares that much for games I've played and wishlisted. It mostly still just shows new and popular games, regardless of if they're of any interest to me, except they also sprinkle in a couple of games from curators I follow in there sometimes.

Which platform has the best discovery tools in your opinion?

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
An indie breakthrough doesn't mean is not following popular trends from other successful products. Is something that happens already enough and this will further exacerbate the issue. If only what deemed popular can succeed, indie devs will likely to follow trends and what Steam recommends to people so they can get in the "recommended" section. Why take risks on genres not popular if Steam is gonna marginalize your game in favor of popular genres and other similar games?

On a industry already hard on risks this is making the problem worse. Precisely, what indie games, specifically succeeded, is to separate itself from what the publishers was dictating and make their own way and games. Steam was the platform that, mostly, allowed that. Not anymore.

You can't expect Steam (or any platform really) to shape the gaming landscape. People will play what they like, the best Steam can do is make it as painless as possible to find what you're looking for. Everything is readily available, people in need of new experiences are often people playing dozens of games a year and are well informed on the medium. They have several ways to find that content.

Why would a game that's been released need more resources than one in development? It's the polar opposite, especially when the system is recommending popular stuff, which obviously doesn't need resources because it's already successful.

Because if they're not successful they're in need of additional revenue, a game still in development is working on a set budget that should last them until the game is released.

Kareha

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
United Kingdom
It is not easy to browse or search on Steam unless you already know the name of the game.

As a customer it really frustrates me how Steam works. Often I use other sites to look up games and then when I know the title I can get it on Steam.

This should not be happening.

When I used to buy games in shops years ago there was this concept of browsing, which is like searching, and I don't recall people complaining about this back then.
People nowadays just want everything done for them as they don't want to put the effort in themselves.

Spectone

When I used to buy games in shops years ago there was this concept of browsing, which is like searching, and I don't recall people complaining about this back then.
People nowadays just want everything done for them as they don't want to put the effort in themselves.

Which is weird because browsing in shops is exactly what I was comparing it in my mind to. When I go to the local supermarket I can wander around the aisles and see what is available. On Steam it is like picking items from a ten thousand page catalogue written in small print.

Browsing and searching are actually completely different tasks.

Also what is this bullshit about people wanting everything done for them? Do you have no idea how commerce works?

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Which is weird because browsing in shops is exactly what I was comparing it in my mind to. When I go to the local supermarket I can wander around the aisles and see what is available. On Steam it is like picking items from a ten thousand page catalogue written in small print.

Also what is this bullshit about people wanting everything done for them? Do you have no idea how commerce works?
Steam has literally aisles that you browse, called "tags". And even different store sections as well.

Edit: I remember your avatar from other EGS threads. Naaaah, not worth it.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not going to say that I'm someone who knows every indie game ever made but I would definitely say I generally am on top of releases pretty well even if I (understandably) don't touch everything. Having said that, I've never heard of Thomas Altenburger, Flying Oak Games, or their roguelike ScourgeBringer. I don't think any store front will ever have an algorithm that will be consistently good about recommending a game from total obscurity that is also at least 2 months old (that might also be in early access?).

Rock Paper Shotgun says its Dead Cells meets Celeste which could not be a more unappealing combo for me personally but it seems like a well made game for the people who like those kinds of games (and it looks nice). That article is also the closest thing to a major critic review that I could find. Anyway, I guess my point in all of this is that it sucks that it seems like the changes Valve made to Steam might be negatively impacting some indies and Valve definitely need to do better but also there will never be a storefront that figures this out. There will always be some that do it better than others but completely fixing storefront algorithms is just an absolutely impossible task thanks to how many games come out in a year.

Spectone

You can scroll the main page and get a huge amount of games recommended without searching for anything.

Which works great if you want to see every genre/category.

If you select one of the built in genres from the Games dropdown you can't actually browse that by scrolling down
If you choose to look at a popular tag you can't browse that by scrolling down
If you choose to browse more from those pages or do a custom search you end back at the list of games which is not helpful

The problem with the list is that it does not contain enough information on each title and the space given is way smaller.

Why does everything have to be so small?

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

If you select one of the built in genres from the Games dropdown you can't actually browse that by scrolling down
If you choose to browse more from those pages or do a custom search you end back at the list of games which is not helpful

The problem with the list is that it does not contain enough information on each title and the space given is way smaller.

You can click on "show more" at the bottom of a tag or a genre list and get the adequate list of games with hundred of pages. You can do that based on new release, best selling, popular or upcoming.

HappyTask

Nov 5, 2017
hmm maybe something can fill the gap and help the visibility these indie games.
like some kind of gaming sites?

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

If you hover over a game a pop-up window comes up with screenshots, tags, the game's review rating and any recommendations of that game from your friends. What other information would you like to have?

Spectone

You can click on "show more" at the bottom of a tag or a genre list and get the adequate list of games with hundred of pages. You can do that based on new release, best selling, popular or upcoming.
True you can do that but the only way to see all titles is by looking in Most Popular which sorts only by Most Popular (you can't refine this list)

I think it should be more like the content in the top banner (a bit smaller) but browseable. Steam wants to give me a list with small tiles and little information about the game.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which platform has the best discovery tools in your opinion?
Dunno about best, each has plenty of problems. The PlayStation Store is incredibly slow and bloated, I don't have an Xbox One so can't comment on that store, the Switch eShop is basically just a list of everything which tbh is more than other stores do but still isn't great, EGS has the same problem except it's worse cause it's literally just a giant page, Steam has a bunch of different systems but none really do a great job recommending stuff beyond what's already popular and it expects too much effort from the user before it really does anywhere near a decent job featuring stuff you might like.

I think itch.io's front page is surprisingly good. Of course the site mainly only sells niche indie stuff already so that's all it's going to show anyway, but they do a good job showing a variety of fun and interesting looking games on there. It's also just simple and clean.

Deleted member 1055

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
True you can do that but the only way to see all titles is by looking in Most Popular which sorts only by Most Popular (you can't refine this list)

I think it should be more like the content in the top banner (a bit smaller) but browseable. Steam wants to give me a list with small tiles and little information about the game.
This page does most of what you want, I think:

The "Browse All New Releases" link will show you every single release on Steam, which you can then filter by any number of tags (and other criteria), and the "Browse All Upcoming Releases" link under the Upcoming tab will show you yet to be released titles.

OP
OP

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Waking up and seeing how the discussion has gone overnight in this thread is very disheartening to me on a personal level.

Vyrak

Banned
Jan 12, 2018

You actually don't know what you are talking about.

You can browse based on individual tags, multiple tags at the same time and sort them in multiple different ways and are given dozens or hundreds of pages depending on your criteria.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Only two of those are actual awards they won though. Neither of which get much attention from the general public (how many people here have even heard of the Gamescom Indie Arena? Looking it up on Youtube shows that videos about it don't get much views also). The others are just for being nominated, in one case it's just for having been showcased at an event.

What has "awards winning" to do with more exposure? You get exposure regardless if you win the award or not. These are not the Oscars that get reported in all of the media, just getting the name out is exposure, winning the award gets you no yes on CNN or the Washington Post.

Oct 25, 2017
Waking up and seeing how the discussion has gone overnight in this thread is very disheartening to me on a personal level.
To be straight up I don't know what you expected.
All I can say is I hope the potential damage to devs livelihoods is limited to non-existent. This isn't a "solvable" problem this system necessitates winners and losers and can never be tuned to the mutual satisfaction of all involved parties they just can't we're so far past that point.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Dunno about best, each has plenty of problems. The PlayStation Store is incredibly slow and bloated, I don't have an Xbox One so can't comment on that store, the Switch eShop is basically just a list of everything which tbh is more than other stores do but still isn't great, EGS has the same problem except it's worse cause it's literally just a giant page, Steam has a bunch of different systems but none really do a great job recommending stuff beyond what's already popular and it expects too much effort from the user before it really does anywhere near a decent job featuring stuff you might like.

I think itch.io's front page is surprisingly good. Of course the site mainly only sells niche indie stuff already so that's all it's going to show anyway, but they do a good job showing a variety of fun and interesting looking games on there. It's also just simple and clean.

Itch.io does looks nice but it also features half as much games as Steam's front page. Right now I counted 53 games on Itch.io's homepage compared to 106 on Steam (without going into the infinite scrolling section).

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Itch.io does looks nice but it also features half as much games as Steam's front page. Right now I counted 53 games on Itch.io's homepage compared to 106 on Steam (without going into the infinite scrolling section).
I don't think that's a bad thing. I think the more important thing also is that itch.io's front page design isn't a bloated mess.

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
It might not inherently be "better" for consumers as the algorithm isn't inherently trying to make their experience better, butto get the consumer to buy more game (not to imply that this is evil or bad. They wouldn't be implementing this feature if they didnt think it would aid in them getting more money)

I think indie devs have just as much right to voice complaints about a sudden change in business that affects their livelihood and they're marketing strategies, especially with a algorithm they have literally no control over.

If indie devs had control over the algorithm we would just get a big fat cover photo of a single game and nothing else. The control cant be in the hands of developers, it needs to be as fair as possible, but there will always be winners and losers.

Or this:

Indie devs' preferred algorithm:

If (me) = true,
If (you) = false

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Its his schtick. He starts a thread about steam, and if it doesnt go his way he screams, bad community.

That's pretty uncalled for. Regardless of if you think the thread went the right way or not, this seems pretty close to a personal attack. :/

More on-topic, here's a way to deal with discovery and the number of games per month being released on Steam:

Amazon owns both Goodreads and IMDB. Amazon (the store) pushes recommendations based on purchases and browsing of specific items, but it also pushes upcoming books and movies/TV via Goodreads and IMDB. At the very least Goodreads sends out a monthly email picking out the top books of each genre for the coming month, and that's just the basic newsletter. IMDB pushes trailers for upcoming movies and TV series alongside interviews, random shit and "Upcoming".

Where is the PC gaming version of this? Youtube? Fuck Youtube, with its shitty algorithm and stressing of creators to churn content and clickbait.

Valve - or Epic, or EA, or Ubi, or someone - needs to start the Goodreads and IMDB of gaming, police it strictly for racism, sexism and hate, and allow editorial independence so that recommendations for every PC store can be shown. Trailers and video content on one, interviews, news, and reviews on the other.

It would be a start, at least.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

Why? Everyone is being polite and there's substantive discussion.

Do you not have the same complaint of Amazon? Why are we comparing steam to a brick and mortar store?

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Amazon owns both Goodreads and IMDB. Amazon (the store) pushes recommendations based on purchases and browsing of specific items, but it also pushes upcoming books and movies/TV via Goodreads and IMDB. At the very least Goodreads sends out a monthly email picking out the top books of each genre for the coming month, and that's just the basic newsletter. IMDB pushes trailers for upcoming movies and TV series alongside interviews, random shit and "Upcoming".

Where is the PC gaming version of this? Youtube? Fuck Youtube, with its shitty algorithm and stressing of creators to churn content and clickbait.
Steam got heavily (!) criticized from basically every Indie Dev in the world for promoting hand selected games, basically choosing the winners and losers.
Thats the reason why there is no curation on Steam anymore because everyone deserves an equal chance of winning.

Last edited:

Plum

May 31, 2018

You can't expect everyone to just ignore the elephant in the room that is the EGS and what it represents when it comes to negative Steam threads like this, especially when there isn't a proper place to discuss the EGS on this site. The community's mostly fine so far, it just isn't what you specifically want it to be.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think that's a bad thing. I think the more important thing also is that itch.io's front page design isn't a bloated mess.

Sure, but how do you think that developers would feel if tomorrow Valve announced that it's cutting the number of games on the front page by 50% for the sake of making the page cleaner? Itch.io can afford to be cleaner because no one is counting on itch.io for their livelihood.

Kareha

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
United Kingdom
If people are to lazy to scroll through the list of New and Upcoming releases on Steam then that's your own fault. I don't have a problem doing that as it's not hard work.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty uncalled for. Regardless of if you think the thread went the right way or not, this seems pretty close to a personal attack. :/

More on-topic, here's a way to deal with discovery and the number of games per month being released on Steam:

Valve - or Epic, or EA, or Ubi, or someone - needs to start the Goodreads and IMDB of gaming, police it strictly for racism, sexism and hate, and allow editorial independence so that recommendations for every PC store can be shown. Trailers and video content on one, interviews, news, and reviews on the other.

It would be a start, at least.

That would give Steam even more power in picking out the winners, also I think they're already pretty good at highlighting popular games, the issue here is that some developers are negatively impacted because they're showing popular games even more.

An IMDB/Goodreads of gaming would probably be pretty similar to what Valve is already showing.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but how do you think that developers would feel if tomorrow Valve announced that it's cutting the number of games on the front page by 50% for the sake of making the page cleaner? Itch.io can afford to be cleaner because no one is counting on itch.io for their livelihood.
If Steam would show 50% less games on their front page, but in exchange would have a better design causing more people to actually look at the games it shows on there, plus if like itch they made an effort to show a good variety of stuff on there, then I don't think developers would mind. If anything it'd likely cause people to explore games on the store more.