• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I grew up with controllers and not KB/M
I'm now a primary PC player for over 7 years and still use a controller for all games outside of strategy and MMO's
I'm a 5.0 K/d in COD on pc with a controller in terms of aiming

Edit: I should be more specific, if an FPS game isn't super fast like COD and has fewer keys for various stuff I will use KB/M, so something like Overwatch where there's your standard WASD and like 3 other buttons
I tend to keybind those other buttons to the mouse, but overwatch is so mechanically simple from a controls standpoint I don't really even do that
Singpleplayer FPS games depend on the amount of useable buttons as well for control input for me

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Its really not hard to precision move with WASD tho just like its not hard to aim with controller with heavy aim assist. You preferring one over the other isn't the same it being bad or difficult to do.
You don't even need heavy aim assist for solid aiming on a pad, especially if the game features fairly slow moving targets. I'm playing TLOU2 which doesn't feature any auto-aim (or so little that it's imperceptible) and it's an absolute joy to aim in that game.

I don't think I'll ever get my head around only being able to move digitally in four directions as opposed to fully analog 360 degree movement with a stick.

Even if you preferred a mouse over the right stick (which I don't) you surely can't argue that you prefer WASD over the left stick.

And that's not even getting into analog triggers, proper buttons instead of keys on a board, gyro, rumble.

To me using M&KB for gaming on a PC would be like a placeholder solution until I bought a pad, "yeah, it just about works repurposing the mouse and keyboard but it's far from ideal".

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
Reminds me threads we read here, about people jumping into desktop gaming but having hard times with M/KB, something none of us could have think about, but it's absolutely logic. A keyboard hasn't been designed to be a gaming peripheral.

And the focus on "aiming" on this article also show its age when Fortnite or PUBG aren't FPS, and there are a very efficient ways to use movement to target in TPS (you mainly don't move the reticle but your char and the camera just to make slight correction).

Aiming is still much more precise with a mouse in TPSs. A lot of TPSs are wildly easier on PC (getting those headshots in GTAV is crazy easy) and a lot of console games (Horizon, TLOU2, Breath of the Wild, probably more I haven't played) have slow-mo aiming either as an option or directly integrated to make up for the inherent jank. Probably also a reason why so many TPSs are cover-based so the player doesn't have to worry about moving and aiming at the same time.

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
I grew up with controllers and not KB/M
I'm now a primary PC player for over 7 years and still use a controller for all games outside of strategy and MMO's
I'm a 5.0 K/d in COD on pc with a controller in terms of aiming

The truth is it all depends on the game. CoD obviously has a gameplay conceived around stick aiming. Something like Quake, not so much...

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia

Huehhuehhueh

i use whatever the game is designed for

This is the best answer.

IMO I only ever feel like I'm suffering from bad aim when using a controller is FPS (and even then I'm not so bad that it renders games unplayable) and just generally prefer kB/m for strategy games if I can't use a touchscreen for them.

Pretty much everything else I'm more than happy to use something I hold rather than have to sit a desk to use or balance my kB/m on my lap like a TV dinner.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
How in the hell do you precision move with WASD?

There. Equally shitty argument.
I mean, there are games focused around precision movement on PC:
youtu.be

DeFRaG World Cup 2019 (Official Movie)

HD Download link: kabcorp.fr/defrag_movies/ ======================================== Go now on: www.q3df.org www.dfcomps.ru www.discord.me/defrag ===========...

I cant think about anything similar on this skill level on consoles.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I genuinly cant aim in FPS games on a controller as well. Sole reason I have a beefy PC tbh so I can play those there.

Jun 2, 2019
Aiming is still much more precise with a mouse in TPSs. A lot of TPSs are wildly easier on PC (getting those headshots in GTAV is crazy easy) and a lot of console games (Horizon, TLOU2, Breath of the Wild, probably more I haven't played) have slow-mo aiming either as an option or directly integrated to make up for the inherent jank. Probably also a reason why so many TPSs are cover-based so the player doesn't have to worry about moving and aiming at the same time.

Er... Breath of the Wild only has slow mo when aiming while jumping. Not the same as Horizon

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me threads we read here, about people jumping into desktop gaming but having hard times with M/KB, something none of us could have think about, but it's absolutely logic. A keyboard hasn't been designed to be a gaming peripheral.

And the focus on "aiming" on this article also show its age when Fortnite or PUBG aren't FPS, and there are a very efficient ways to use movement to target in TPS (you mainly don't move the reticle but your char and the camera just to make slight correction).
I still have an easier time on kb+m on third person shooters. Hell, Division 2's raids on console were much harder on launch (no idea if they've been adjusted since) than PC because it was so much harder to precisely aim at weakspots. Tons of people were complaining how the game's balance wasn't adjusted for controller aim at all.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
just got doom eternal on steam sale.
and comparing to console experience, it controls like a dream with kb/m tbh.
i can actually raise the difficulty now and still be much better.
yeah it can make a huge difference on game to game basis.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I didn't read the article, but it seems so click baity. There are certain games for me that feel weird with controllers, even with steam input, like Quake; there are also games that feel bad with kB+m like MCC. It's not a one size fit all argument.

nickfrancis86

Nov 10, 2017
I was always pretty rubbish with a controller and just assumed I was just bad at FPP games. Started PC gaming a few years ago and I rarely use a controller now. Mostly TPP games, but I'll always try with a mouse first though, RDR2 with a mouse isn't a great experience but I really like RE2/3 with a mouse.

I do agree there are certain aspects of each method that are superior to its counterpart though. Each to their own I, find what works for you.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why they'd drudge up this old articled by retweeting in, unless one of the PCGamer editors got upset he died because he died in a PS4 game or something.

I find it so much easier to aim with mouse/keyboard, but even still I generally prefer to play with a controller on my PC because I can play in a "more relaxed posture" if you know what I'm sayin'...

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Spray and pray.

Is that actually a thing?
Other's were mentioned above, and there is also reWASD. It seems better than Steam Input, allows for 2x Joycons, Controller + Mouse + keyboard configs (all together as one, like 2x joycons) and it it's separate from a game launcher (Steam Input can be a pain to get working for non Steam games). Though it has a price.

Observable

Oct 27, 2017
Weird to see the article being reposted, must have needed some clicks.

I will say though, Fortnite recently reduced Aim Assist by 75% for players on PC with high framerates, and after adjusting for a couple of nights, my aim is pretty much back to normal. Aiming is perfectly possible even without gyro and little to no aim assist as long as your aim doesn't have to be pixel perfect and you have little to no input delay. Games like Fortnite, Call of Duty, Battlefield should be no problem. Counter Strike at a high level though? No.

softtack

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Other's were mentioned above, and there is also reWASD. It seems better than Steam Input, allows for 2x Joycons, Controller + Mouse + keyboard configs (all together as one, like 2x joycons) and it it's separate from a game launcher (Steam Input can be a pain to get working for non Steam games). Though it has a price.

Thanks, I'll have a look into it.

Res-bot

Nov 11, 2017
Oh crap, they found us out. Console Gamers have really just been faking it this whole time. We just sit in front of the tv for a bit admiring the game menu. Sometimes we waggle the controller around pretend playing while watching a game trailer then we go on forums and brag about our 'gaming'.

Verchod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just don't be a Twat.

I use both. The only thing better about using KB+M is the mouse bit. Keyboard is shit. Yeah you have loads of extra keys for stuff but it's not ergonomic, half the keys are miles away.

The fact that you have two analogue joysticks makes the gamepad superior for me for most games. That's more important. Not speed

Oct 26, 2017
Gamepad FPS controls are indeed pretty trash. I'm kind of interested in the flickstick stuff that people keep hyping. God knows the console space could use a revolution in aim controls... speaking of Revolution.... I've got to admit shooters on the Wii controlled far better in general than dual thumbstick garbo.

The DualShock becoming the de facto layout for gaming is great for multiplatform standardization but harmful for just about everything else. It's the "Homer designs a car" of gaming input.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
I can use a pad perfectly ok for basic stuff, but as soon as involves something complex then I am completely useless. Playing anything other than easy is just pure frustration for me. Where I can use a M+K no problems but the vast majority of gaming life has been using PC's .

Castia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm shit at shooters on consoles these days, too many years playing m&kb on PC.

Pads are great for some games though especially driving/sports game and single player 3rd person games etc.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
trap and lock with a combination of character movement and camera control, and then firing when the targeting reticle is over the target.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
KB&M is obviously more accurate for aiming, but it's just so damn uncomfortable for long periods.

Plus any time couch gaming comes up someone will undoubtedly bring up some dumbass idea like "oh just put your KB&M on this plank of wood over the arms of your couch!!" like that isn't the weirdest thing ever.

Oct 27, 2017
I grew up using Gamepads instead of KBM (didn't own a PC until college) so obviously that colors my preference. I exclusively use Gamepads on PC no matter what game it is including shooters and RTS/strategy games. Great thing about gaming is that there are options so to each their own.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
How in the hell do you precision move with WASD?

There. Equally shitty argument.

Shitty? Honestly I think thats perfectly reasonable? As a PC gamer the mouse is just so granular and accurate, but unless I use an analog addon (which is easy enough) I wholesale lose that analog movement that I can get with a controller. The two having things they do better versus the other save for additional hardware or options seems reasonable to me.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
I really do hope they make shooting more comfortable on next gen consoles though. Gyro aiming would be great Can't really play newest games on my potato PC and don't really care for upgrading it.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Who remembers an article/game review, a really old one where they were talking about aiming with the analog stick for the first time or something? I think it was a gamespot review.

But seriously I play Doom Eternal without auto aim like a champ, I don't get this take.
WASD is more wonky to me.

Jun 2, 2019
With the D-pad Duh.

But as someone pointed it out this article is a year old.

Even one year ago it was a stupid article to make

One year ago Steam Input was already working in full force. One year ago, i was playing Doom 2016, Quake and Quake II with a Dual Shock 4, using gyro and massacring otherworldly beings like it's nothing.

I have read the "article" and it reeks of ignorance and preaching to the PC mashtahrrace choir.

While i agree on Dual Stick aiming being clunky and imprecise, if you have a gyro enabled controller, aiming shouldn't be an issue.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Sony really needs to standardize gyro aiming on the PS5 - and show Microsoft how bad a decision they made by excluding one from the XSX controller.
That alone would convince me to buy a PS5 instead of an XSX if I was deciding between the two.

Analog sticks are just frustrating to use for aiming. With a keyboard and mouse, I'm never thinking about my inputs - it's completely natural.

KB&M is obviously more accurate for aiming, but it's just so damn uncomfortable for long periods.
Plus any time couch gaming comes up someone will undoubtedly bring up some dumbass idea like "oh just put your KB&M on this plank of wood over the arms of your couch!!" like that isn't the weirdest thing ever.
indexvfkki.jpg

🤷‍♀️(Corsair K63 lapboard)

I feel like there used to be a thing Razer made that had a thumb stick for movement.
Edit: Yeah the Razr Tartarus!
I've thought about the Tartarus. If I went full ham on PC gaming, I'd probably give one a go. Once Apex goes cross play/cross progression this fall, I might do it. It probably doesn't help I have a mushy $20 Microsoft keyboard lol
FYI these Razer devices use a microswitched thumb pad, not an analog stick.
You're still going to be using WASD for movement - that thumb pad is for things like weapon selection (mapped to 1-8).
And you probably wouldn't want an analog stick there either. Logitech's G13 had one, and the ergonomics were bad.

That could help a great deal with third person Resident Evil games. Thanks, I may have to try that.
Unfortunately the recent Resident Evil games, both 2 and 3, have deadzones and bad negative acceleration - which really makes mouse aiming (and thus gyro aiming) far worse than it should be.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Playing a FPS on a controller for the first time was difficult for me, looking at the ground, just moving the left stick and trying to land the reticle that way but you soon get over that hill and it's fine.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Literally who gives a shit as long as it's enjoyable. Mouse and keyboard have always been better and everyone knows this.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Controller FPS is really pointless unless you play with everyone who has a controller or are in a single player game. I am surprised the peripherals for consoles hasn't evolved yet.