• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm use to aiming with a controller but I tend to always use auto-aim at the highest level if given the option.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Console gamers have never experienced the thrill of a headshot. that's incredibly sad.

Jul 26, 2018
I remember being able to aim so well with a controller back in 2018. Then got my 1st PC, and now, i can't even use my controller for FPS anymore.

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
They should ask my brother he plays shooters on his PC with a Xbox controller.

May 15, 2019
Right stick + aim assist >>>>> Ever using WASD.

Shame more games aren't adapting motion control though, the real superior form of aiming.

The worst was the COD games on the Nintendo DS.
WASD let's you make immediate, straight movements where you don't have to worry about acceleration or your angle being off. In any competitive shooter I would much rather have WASD than a stick. Only shooter where analog movement is a perk is stealth games like Metal Gear, where I'd never want to play with a keyboard.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Polar opposite over here, in that Velocity based Aim + No aim assist >>>>>>>>>>>> everything analogue stick. It's always been far more enjoyable and engaging for me. I'm keen however to have left stick control for analogue movement where it feels important (eg 3D platformers / third person action etc), and thankfully Steam Controller has been a godsend for having the best of all of it

I sympathise a little with whoever wrote the PCG opinion, as I've experience something similar spending so much time M&KB, or the last few years with the Steam Controller's velocity based aim without aim assists. Steam Input has also supported Gyro for years now. Since it's inclusion via Steam Controller and subsequently Steam Input, it's pretty common place amongst players binding choices

Im not sure what velocity based aim is, and I ain't sued a steam controller.

But I assume you mean the sort of mouse joypad things the steam controller has in which case I must admit that, our of everything I tried I had the easiest time aiming on the COD mobile game.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
I mean I play a lot of console games but yeah, aiming with analogue sticks is like being blackout drunk compared to aiming with M+KB. I kinda hope XSX/PS5 have compatibility for M+KB.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
LOL, that is me for every first-person shooter. I just play any game that requires any modicum of precision in first-person on my desktop PC with a mouse. Strategy games as well, but that's more for convenience than out of a necessity. Everything else I'll typically use a DS4 with either at the desk, or on my TV.

I actually prefer controller, aim assist is a good thing.

It's basically there because of how imprecise controllers are (deadzones are an issue too), and feels like a crutch to me. That's another reason I don't like using a controller with most first-person games (stuff like RE7 was fine though). Aim assist seems to mess up head shots, or get really wonky when trying to navigate multiple targets that are in somewhat close proximity.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Aiming horizontally was ok for me but fuck trying to aim vertically. And fuck Pharah.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
With training? I mean, I used to feet the same but that was maybe ten years ago? Controllers are a big thing for PC not only since yesterday.

I just started to learn the claw playstyle because there are some drawbacks indeed without being able to use your right thumb for looking and other actions simultaneously and I don't want to spend 100 bucks or more for controller that has triggers on the back.

A friend of mine is probably asking the same question about KBM because he plays on console for 15 years now.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
WASD let's you make immediate, straight movements where you don't have to worry about acceleration or your angle being off. In any competitive shooter I would much rather have WASD than a stick. Only shooter where analog movement is a perk is stealth games like Metal Gear, where I'd never want to play with a keyboard.

Not to be dismissive but it's significantly quick and easy to flick a stick. Like microseconds. In a shooter it's always the aiming that lets me down, never the movement.

Trying to do FPS jumping puzzles or advanced diagonal movements on a keyboard is a nightmare everytime.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
well, I used to play PC shooters using the keyboard to aim until around 2000 when someone told me that using the mouse to aim on half life was better than what I was doing lol

I think aiming with the gamepad works OK if it's well adjusted (with decent aim assist and so on)...

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This tweet's reminded me it's been a long time since I've given gyro aiming a go and I thought it was pretty fantastic when I played through Bioshock Infinite with a Steam Controller. Let's mix things up and throw a flick stick set-up together for Destiny 2. I can't imagine my precision accuracy with sniper rifles getting any worse.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
IIT: console players handheld with aim assist saying, "Its not that hard lol".

I love gyro aiming in games like BotW and I realllly liked pointer controls in titles like in the Metroid Prime series. I enjoyed setting up my Switch Pro controller to get gyro in Assassin's Creed Odyssey on Steam too! But man...as someone that plays a ton of FPS titles on PC, it's hard for me to say there's any comparison to M+KB.

Also PC Gamer is sorta crap in general and the tone of that article is silly.
Should check out steam controller. It does gyro aiming better than ps4 and switch.

Ivory Samoan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
LOL, that is me for every first-person shooter. I just play any game that requires any modicum of precision in first-person on my desktop PC with a mouse. Strategy games as well, but that's more for convenience than out of a necessity. Everything else I'll typically use a DS4 with either at the desk, or on my TV.

It's basically there because of how imprecise controllers are (deadzones are an issue too), and feels like a crutch to me. That's another reason I don't like using a controller with most first-person games (stuff like RE7 was fine though). Aim assist seems to mess up head shots, or get really wonky when trying to navigate multiple targets that are in somewhat close proximity.
Do you turn off AA on controller? I think it's full necessary and not a crutch, but it's own thing (I prefer squeezing a trigger in shooters especially vs mouse click): just feels better to me weirdly.

I have a mean KB+M setup too.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
KB+M is objectively more effective, but let people use what they prefer. The important part about gaming is playing the way you want to.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Meanwhile I'm over here trying to figure out how people actually play on keyboard with wasd movement and hitting all these other keys without getting horrible wrist problems. I can play like 5 minutes before my whole wrist feels like exploding. The movement just feels terrible to me.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It is done through the illusion that the player is actually a precise shot through a shit ton of aim assist.

Birbos

Alt Account
Banned
May 15, 2020
Never playing another multiplayer game with a controller ever again. It's fine for single player when you're taking your time. I like using my entire hand to control my camera instead. Nice and fluid.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
Games like Titanfall 2 are COMPLETELY different on KB+M.

That said, I have been using Steam Controller this past week, and it's awesome. It's such a shame that the new Xbox controller doesn't have gyro, and the new PS5 controller doesn't have paddles.
This 2015 controller got a lot right on the first try!

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Do you turn off AA on controller? I think it's full necessary and not a crutch, but it's own thing (I prefer squeezing a trigger in shooters especially vs mouse click): just feels better to me weirdly.

I have a mean KB+M setup too.

I feel like it's fully necessary as well, but it's also a crutch just by the nature of analog aiming. I don't like playing with it, but can't do shit without it, so I simply don't even bother and play with a mouse instead.

Oct 27, 2017
Right stick + aim assist >>>>> Ever using WASD.

Shame more games aren't adapting motion control though, the real superior form of aiming.

The worst was the COD games on the Nintendo DS.

WASD is for movement. The mouse is used for precise aiming/looking.

If you're saying you would rather sacrifice superior aiming instead of ever using WASD for movement then I'm going to have to disagree there too as you can really find a sweet spot when using the M/KB in conjunction while adjusting the sensitivity/DPI to find that sweet spot. I use a Razer Tartarus V2 keypad as well with some games. The customization and amount of options different control types offer is great.

That said, I use an Xbox Elite Controller for some games that actually do feel better with a controller like some third person games, racers, etc. Controller feels great for anything 60+ FPS too but M/KB for shooters just can't be beaten for me anyways.

Last edited:

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just gonna say it. I'm starting to lean more towards a controller nowadays. Playing on PC against young people who still have high reactions can be rough. I feel like the handicap of a controller puts us all on a level playing field in a way.

Birbos

Alt Account
Banned
May 15, 2020
I'm just gonna say it. I'm starting to lean more towards a controller nowadays. Playing on PC against young people who still have high reactions can be rough. I feel like the handicap of a controller puts us all on a level playing field in a way.
Yeah cause using a controller is like using a crank to move your camera so it's not all just hand eye coordination but also the controller slowing you down.

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
Poorly, that's how. Controllers are objectively bad for everything requiring precision (when shooting is concerned)

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
dQy45Js.png

Here's a short explanation of how it works

Oct 27, 2017
What advanced diagonal movements are you doing in your FPS? FPS known for advanced movement techniques are few and far between, but mostly lie in the PC space.
For one example, Destiny has jumping stuff generally in Raids, special missions, etc that are more puzzle-like that could cause some getting used to and/or adjusting on M/KB.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A year old take on a 15 year old debate

If I'm doing some competitive I use mouse and keyboard. Otherwise I use my dualshock on pc

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
They are right. And I say that as someone that dislikes mouse + keyboard.

Games need to start making use of gyro and IR pointers (Wiimote style).

This has been posted before: