• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Feb 1, 2018
GRAPES is such a middle school acronym lol Sounds like something your teacher will tell you on Day 1 not to mention about or you get detention

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
It seems more like a thing to make moderating the forum easier. Now they'll only have to deals with fanboys instead haha

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The crazy thing is somebody is actually opening a message board in the year 2020

like nobody does that shit anymore

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, I guess it applies to usernames as well.

XwpDjHa.png

ResetEra: "banning topics because of trolls is stupid"
also ResetEra: "I got banned for trolling"

Monolith

Oct 25, 2017
The rules seems to have been updated and they removed Grape. That was a fast resolution. Anyone here plan to go check it out now? I always find it fun to be part of an early community in a forum. I'm still a bit skeptical of that place so I'll wait and see for there.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like a nightmare

What do you do in topics of games like Disco Elysium?

Seems the rules are gone but it's obvious you would be able to discuss the game? Seems like people are being obtuse on purpose. They probably didn't want thread about off topics stuff that rile up people against each others and contaminate the whole board.

Nekro

Oct 30, 2017
Why you people are against it? Whats wrong about it? Why do videogames discussions have to include politics etc?
Its their choice what they permit, they aint hurning anybody.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Why you people are against it? Whats wrong about it? Why do videogames discussions have to include politics etc?
I mostly just think that it seemed like a policy that would, regardless of intent, attract an undesirable crowd. The type of person that thinks anything outside of the status quo is injecting politics into games.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They can talk about everyone's favorite recent apolitical games like Death Stranding which has absolutely nothing to do with the divides in the US caused by the Trump Presidency

Nekro

Oct 30, 2017
Games have politics in them

I am pretty sure, from what i read on the twitter post, that the rules exclude ingame politics and ingame themes.

Usually forums dont allow real life politics, religion stuff etc because they are very sensitive subjects and they turn the discussions to shit posting and harassment.

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well I don't agree with a ton of the rules here.

Anything sexual is basically forbidden, it runs to America's puritanical watch.

People get banned for nonsense reasons, discussions get shut down because they're "heated" and in general the place is overmoderated.

So I mean bit of a glass fucking house like.

What PC Gamer is doing is shite, but it's not in another universe.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am pretty sure, from what i read on the twitter post, that the rules exclude ingame politics and ingame themes.

Usually forums dont allow real life politics, religion stuff etc because they are very sensitive subjects and they turn the discussions to shit posting and harassment.
A reminder that Death Stranding was literally made as a response to Brexit and Trump, and that this type of thing isn't rare because politics always affects culture which in turn always effects art, and all art is inherently political anyways

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017

No? It's written that you can if it was covered by PCGamer in the rules posted in the OP and they've reviewed the game and talked about it a lot. Same thing with the dumb posts in the first page that stated they can't talk about COD because there are guns in them.

Rules are now gone anyway.

My guess is a lot of people are going ballistic because they've read the rules in the OP as a "we don't want it to be like ResetEra".

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil

Politics present in games are usually metaphors or similes to real world politics. When you discuss one thing, you are discussing the other. You can't separate these things.

Nekro

Oct 30, 2017
They can talk about everyone's favorite recent apolitical games like Death Stranding which has absolutely nothing to do with the divides in the US caused by the Trump Presidency
A reminder that Death Stranding was literally made as a response to Brexit and Trump, and that this type of thing isn't rare because politics always affects culture which in turn always effects art, and all art is inherently political anyways

I think people are obsessed with politics in video games tbh. I have no idea if death stranding is about trump and whatever but this kinda of stuff is what turn discussions from a game and its mechanics to a shitty discussion about politics and personal beliefs.

Also art is subjective, anyone can interpret it however they want. Some will see trump and brexit, some other will see something else entirely. If not then its not art and its a statement. I like to see games as art.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No? It's written that you can if it was covered by PCGamer in the rules posted in the OP and they've reviewed the game and talked about it a lot. Same thing with the dumb posts in the first page that stated they can't talk about COD because there are guns in them.

My guess is a lot of people are going ballistic because they've read the rules in the OP as a "we don't want it to be like ResetEra".
or maybe because discouraging conversation on real world issues is inherently problematic, especially in the context of media which is literally made to inform and encourage certain world views. People who say "let's not get political" are inherently people interested in the status quo, which is why they always say it in reference to things like creating more minority or female protagonists because somehow white male protagonists aren't inherently political (they are)

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

No, it's because there are many places (like the old place) where "no politics" turned to "only right-wing politics"

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think people are obsessed with politics in video games tbh. I have no idea if death stranding is about trump and whatever but this kinda of stuff is what turn discussions from a game and its mechanics to a shitty discussion about politics and personal beliefs.

Also art is subjective, anyone can interpret it however they want. Some will see trump and brexit, some other will see something else entirely. If not then its not art and its a statement. I like to see games as art.
That Death Stranding is a response to Trump and Brexit isn't subjective, it's literally Kojima's stated reason for creating the game in its current form

Oct 25, 2017
Too many subsections. What I liked about GAF and Era is the simplicity of just having "Gaming/Community, Offtopic/Community". And even then a good chunk of the Community section ends up dead anyway, and that's with a shitton of users.

There's no way there will be enough activity for all these subforums in the PC Gamer board.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Too many subsections. What I liked about GAF and Era is the simplicity of just having "Gaming/Community, Offtopic/Community". And even then a good chunk of the Community section ends up dead anyway, and that's with a shitton of users.

There's no way there will be enough activity for all these subforums in the PC Gamer board.
Do they have an anime section where they can talk about famous apolitical anime like Mobile Suit Gundam or Legend of the Galatic Heroes that have absolutely nothing to do with real world politics whatsoever and are clearly just cool space shit with nothing to say about the world we currently live in whatsoever

Nekro

Oct 30, 2017
That Death Stranding is a response to Trump and Brexit isn't subjective, it's literally Kojima's stated reason for creating the game in its current form

And if he never told that then how many people would really made that connection? Is the words "trump" and "brexit" in the game?

People who say "let's not get political" are inherently people interested in the status quo, which is why they always say it in reference to things like creating more minority or female protagonists because somehow white male protagonists aren't inherently political (they are)

So if i dont want political discussions i am a conservative racist and also white male protagonists are a political statement huh?

I stop here because you can see that even this thread turned into a political discussions. It only needs a small spark and its all going to shit. Thats why i said people are obsessed with politics. And its fine for me because i see resetera as a videogames/politics forum. What i see is people dont like if someone decides they dont want to bring politics on their site and even get a bit mad, people need to realise that some people just might not care.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And if he never told that then how many people would really made that connection? Is the words "trump" and "brexit" in the game?

So if i dont want political discussions i am a conservative racist and also white male protagonists are a political statement huh?

I stop here because you can see that even this thread turned into a political discussions. It only needs a small spark and its all going to shit. Thats why i said people are obsessed with politics. And its fine for me because i see resetera as a videogames/politics forum. What i see is people dont like if someone decides they dont want to bring politics on their site and even get a bit mad, people need to realise that some people just might not care.
A lot probably because Kojima is incredibly unsubtle about the politics in his games lol. Like it's literally a game about reconnecting the United States that has been literally divided.

If you honestly think real world connections need to be outright stated in plain text to exist then you really need to polish your critical thinking skills and work on improving your media literacy

Oct 25, 2017
You didn't choose a great game to make your argument on. Death Stranding is very very clearly about that, you don't need Kojima to say anything.

There's not-at-all subtle dialogue about how America is fractured, and it need to be made whole again. They actually use "Make America whole again" in dialogue.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm from a different site where they've prohibited politics simply because there wasn't enough resources to moderate everything.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Why do videogames discussions have to include politics etc?

I mean, actually yes.

Unless the only thing you want to do regarding video game is discuss how excited you are for a game and not ever take a look behind the curtain in any way shape or form, you basically cannot discuss video games without discussing politics. There's so much to games and the games industry that is heaped in politics, which makes it impossible to have any sort of meaningful conversation without mentioning something of a political nature.

Saying you want to talk about video games without politics is like saying you want to talk about movies without discussing Hollywood.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Next they're going to tell me Detroit Becomes Human isn't a racial allegory, try to back it up by pointing to that quote from Cage trying to claim it's not even though anyone with half a brain can easily tell that it's an incredibly obvious racial allegory at a glance (I mean it's not a particularly good racial allegory, but that's besides the point)

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Is GRAPES a known acronym for the main sorts of "controversial" topics that cause issues on social media and forums?

LOL no,

The only place I've heard GRAPES being used as this sort of acronym is on a high school study sheet and it stood for Geography, Religion, Achievements, Political Structure, Economy, and Social Structure.

Bro, MetalGear is just a game about sweet mechs, and super-human spies.

Final Fantasy 7 is just a cool game about big swords, gun arms and huge tits!

I mean, real talk, if you don't want to discuss the politics of a game, you really don't want to talk about the plot of said game at all.

I, literally, cannot think of a game plot that doesn't have some semblance of politics in it.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

Given that the Trump wall is indirectly referenced in the game and it rams the metaphor of building bridges to connect people down your throat, it would take a special kind of brain damage not to make the connection.

It'd be like arguing that Star Wars isn't set in space. Or that cars don't drive on roads. You'd be that wrong.