• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Think the closer partnership comes at the right moment for both and creates alot of goodwill for MS at this moment with the whole EGS thing going on. I am really excited for the MS PC future with Steam.

Valve stands to benefit a lot here. In a year where it's faced competition from the Epic Games Store when it comes to exclusives on the biggest upcoming games, like The Outer Worlds and Borderlands 3, Microsoft's messaging puts Steam at the core of its plans.

In the face of competition from Epic, Steam has absolutely not lost its status as the home of huge hits this year, like Mordhau, Total War: Three Kingdoms, and Risk of Rain 2. Epic has secured some exciting games, though, and the potential impact on Steam is that it won't feel like the default place you buy all your blockbusters this year. That's why Microsoft's revised strategy is great news for Valve. It mostly makes blockbuster games, and it's made Steam a major part of its marketing message.

Here's another thing: people are treating Halo Reach on PC like it's one of the biggest new games of the year, even though it's a nine year-old (excellent) console FPS game. Over half a million people tuned in to the gameplay stream above last week, and every time we write about it on PC Gamer, I can see that excitement reflected in how many people are reading. And that excitement has no major caveats, because it's (hopefully) the PC version you've always wanted, on the platform you demanded.

Microsoft's priorities have changed in Valve's favour at just the right time. Freedom to choose where you buy your games is now important to Microsoft, following a relationship with PC gaming that's had a lot of ups and downs over the last 15 years. Spencer acknowledged this himself in last week's announcement. "We've not always lived up to our aspiration of keeping gamers at the center of everything we do when it comes to the experience they've had on Windows."

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny how Epic needs to throw money around to publishers and devs to get them on board while Steam can just wait and have Bethesda and MS come to them without throwing money around.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine a thread title like that even just a couple years ago. These are strange (but exciting) times we're in

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Valve/Steam are fine with or without MS support. Its MS that needs that PC gamer audience.
Funny how Epic needs to throw money around to publishers and devs to get them on board while Steam can just wait and have Bethesda and MS come to them without throwing money around.

And ? Of course the established and dominant market leader has to do less to get support than a new unproven competitor.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a counter of the prevailing narrative of "AAA games are all leaving Steam", along with Bethesda returning with their tail between their legs.

With that said, there was talk of Xbox Live strings inside Steamworks source code. With that, and the Halo MCC Steam page outright stating that an Xbox Live login is required, I suspect there may be a wider deal allowing Xbox Live and Steamworks SDKs to be connected to each other, primarily for cross-platform play purposes.

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think it's simply because Steam has a much larger user-base to buy their games + it's a much better product (for both customers and the developer even though maybe financially Epic offers more favorable terms to devs).

tl;dr Steam is still better than Epic, and that doesn't seem to be changing any time soon.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Bethesda was likely their launcher going awry and them negotiating with Valve behind the scenes
Microsoft's entire corporate philosophy right now is get their stuff on as many platforms/storefronts as possible, they don't care as long as you pay them

Valve definitely didn't 'need' anything but they'll fuckin' take it lol, that's a layup

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Not funny at all. Just common sense. EGS, having a much smaller userbase, has no other feasible way to attract publishers quickly other than "throwing money around".

Oct 31, 2017
Bethesda was likely their launcher going awry and them negotiating with Valve behind the scenes
Rumors were that the games were also not selling that well anymore. There was a Bethesda guy on reddit who claimed that while he didn't have detailed statistics he was told by a coworker in the team that preorders for Rage 2 were in the TWO DIGITS numbers before it got back on Steam. Which would be abysmal if confirmed.

Last edited:

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
The hilarious implication that Valve were on the ropes because of EGS that PC Gamer and a lot of gaming media love to peddle.

Halo MCC was envitable since it was highly requested by the Halo community itself and change of philosophy at Xbox on how they deliver services on as many platforms as possible as part of Microsoft's renewed business strategy.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
The hilarious implication that Valve were on the ropes because of EGS that PC Gamer and a lot of gaming media love to peddle.

Halo MCC was envitable since it was highly requested by the Halo community itself and change of philosophy at Xbox on how they deliver services on as many platforms as possible as part of Microsoft's renewed business strategy.
If you read the article there isnt any implication at all. They just said they got alot of great games but lost some blockbusters from certain publishers and with MS coming to them wich usually are big games it comes at a nice moment. And its for both a win win.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A very competitive time? Epic's strategy isn't sustainable. All Valve has to do is continue what they've been doing.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Rumors were that the games weren't also not selling thatl anymore. There was a Bethesda guy on reddit who claimed that while he didn't have detailed statistics he was told by a coworker in the team that preorders for Rage 2 were in the TWO DIGITS numbers before it got back on Steam. Which would be abysmal if confirmed.
I've also heard that Rage 2's PC pre-order numbers were bad prior to the Steam announcement, but I don't think they were that bad.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
good. maybe we can get that ufll xbox integration with windows 10. its gonna be awesome to finally see shit like this happen. fuck exclusives, fuck egs and fuck moneyhatting. crossplay, cross saves all the way.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
EpicGamer
Rumors were that the games weren't also not selling thatl anymore. There was a Bethesda guy on reddit who claimed that while he didn't have detailed statistics he was told by a coworker in the team that preorders for Rage 2 were in the TWO DIGITS numbers before it got back on Steam. Which would be abysmal if confirmed.
Lol. If the Bethesda launcher wasn't so awful it might've made it to the thousands

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Drive-by Thread Derailment
I'm pro Epic games store. I don't pc game but devs making more money per game is great.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pro Epic games store. I don't pc game

200w.webp

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I thought 88/12 is all the incentive developers/publishers needed?
I do think the long-term plan is to use the combination of 88/12, claims of being curated, exploiting developer misconceptions about Steam and "we have the Fortnite audience" to try to get developers to release games exclusively on EGS without Epic paying out a moneyhat. I suspect they'll also make EGS exclusively a requirement for anyone to use their cross-platform multiplayer SDK once that's publicly available.

Whether that's effective or not is unknown, given the small number of games available on the store, the short amount of time it's been open and the talk of the backend currently being a flaming disaster area (preventing Epic from selling their back catalogue on their own store, for example).

Last edited:

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Epic competition... What competition? Valve doesn't have plans to enter a bidding war to get exclusives in Steam. Not that they need to. Another hot take by PCGamer.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
Rumors were that the games were also not selling that well anymore. There was a Bethesda guy on reddit who claimed that while he didn't have detailed statistics he was told by a coworker in the team that preorders for Rage 2 were in the TWO DIGITS numbers before it got back on Steam. Which would be abysmal if confirmed.

I think this was a figure from someone in Eastern Europe talking about figures for that region, not worldwide. Figures are not great though

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seriously PC gamers what is your major gripe with the Epic games store? From what I have read the system isn't buggy like the MS game store and there does not seem to be any excessive DRM compared to steam. It seems like the only gripe is the fact that they pay for timed exclusives. This is not new, there are other pc game stores with actual exclusives.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
It does seem like a mutually beneficial relationship, interesting times ahead for the PC space. More options is always better. MS gonna give PC a nice bump in software diversity. Now gimme Age of Empires :p

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously PC gamers what is your major gripe with the Epic games store? From what I have read the system isn't buggy like the MS game store and there does not seem to be any excessive DRM compared to steam. It seems like the only gripe is the fact that they pay for timed exclusives. This is not new, there are other pc game stores with actual exclusives.

Bruh you really gonna bring this in here?

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Im too tired for this shit.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017

That was true (the two digit number thing), but for the Russian region only. It was higher worldwide. Still stupidly low, but higher than that.

Bruh you really gonna bring this in here?
Im too tired for this shit.

Just don't bother anymore. It's not worth it and the staff is clearly OK with it.

Nov 14, 2017
ok

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
It does seem like a mutually beneficial relationship, interesting times ahead for the PC space. More options is always better. MS gonna give PC a nice bump in software diversity. Now gimme Age of Empires :p
Age of Empires is gonna be in their E3, rumors is that AoE2:Defiinite Edition will be a surprise drop during their conference. AoE1:DE is also coming to Steam.

All of them will be crossplay between Steam and MS Store (sadly no crossbuy).

Also guys, just dont bother answer clear bait.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

This shoud be bannable.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
If you read the article there isnt any implication at all. They just said they got alot of great games but lost some blockbusters from certain publishers and with MS coming to them wich usually are big games it comes at a nice moment. And its for both a win win.

I'm speaking as someone who's excited for Halo MCC on PC and will get it on Steam, Valve does not "need" Microsoft titles to come to Steam, as great as it is.

They'll just keep trucking along focusing on Steam services, while Epic will keep pissing away millions of their Fortnite money away on an unsustainable strategy to wrestle users away from Steam. I hesitate to even call it competition.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017

The main gripe, from me, is just that it's another thing. Another company to give my info to, another program to install, another launcher to run in the background, another game library to have separated from my other ones. If this was the only thing aside from Steam, fine, maybe.... but as it now the bifurcation on PC is just becoming very annoying and offers consumers literally no benefit. My games are now spread between GOG, Steam, Uplay, Origin, Battle.net and now there is Epic too.

It's not the end of the world but after a while holding all these accounts is just a hassle that, again, offers absolutely zero benefit whatsoever.

papertowel

Nov 6, 2017

Yea guys whats the gripe!?

*ignores dozens and dozens of pages in this forum alone of people explaining their gripes*

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Not Rage 2 PC preorders in a whole, only Eastern Europe market. But yeah, they were really bad on PC, at least sales are more or less fine now in this region thanks to Steam version, nothing amazing but not a complete disaster.