• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
I've been dying for a Trilogy Remaster since 2013

EA's "no remasters" policy is such a dumb idea. They are sitting on a lot of money. So many amazing games last gen.

Thank god that they at least gave Burnout Paradise the remaster treatment

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

EA's "no remasters" policy is such a dumb idea. They are sitting on a lot of money. So many amazing games last gen.

Chiming in every time it's mentioned...

I have money burning a hole in my pocket reserved for a Trilogy Remaster, whenever EA wants it.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Personally hope they pick up after ME:A. I enjoyed my time with it quite a bit.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I would be up for either a direct sequel to ME3(preferably the Destroy one so we Reapers are behind us) or a game taking place anytime prior to ME3, before the war. Doesn't need to tell a story we already mostly know through the codex or exposure, I just want more more stories from within the Milky Way. We haven't seen enough of the alien homeworlds outside of the Quarians and Krogans, and I'd love to see a nextgen iteration of the Citadel.

Kaizer

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My biggest disappointment about ME: Andromeda was that they tried to tie it to the original Mass Effect Trilogy. I was personally hoping they were going to approach ME:Andromeda the same way Square Enix approaches a new Final Fantasy: totally new universe, new characters, new mythology, new species, etc. I wanted to see BioWare go back to the drawing board & put in the same amount of creative thought they did when conceiving the original Mass Effect for their next chapter.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
While I'll always perk up when I hear the mention of "more Mass Effect," the cynic in me overwhelmingly thinks this is feathery bullshit they're putting out there just to make us feel better about Anthem.

Facts are, Anthem basically exists at the expense of the Mass Effect series. It's what put their "C" team on it and the amount of "care" shown to such a beloved series was damning. Everything about the production/release of it shows what a shitshow it was, and even though it still sold millions of copies, they unceremoniously cancelled obvious DLC and support for the game. Seeing Mass Effect skins and whatnot in the game that basically exists at the expense of that series is just rubbing salt in the wound.

Anthem is a game that if it goes well enough, will never be "done." "After" Anthem, they still have the next Dragon Age, which sounds like it is in its infancy of development...AND THEN, maybe Mass Effect? Like seriously, if things go well, can we expect that in 2026 or something?

So yeah, their track record is shit. The huge demand for a remaster of the series seemingly fell on deaf ears (and their idiotic "no remasters" mantra ended up being bullshit as they released Burnout, which was excellent!). The myriad of ways they catastrophically bungled Mass Effect as a series and how they treated Andromeda just shows that their actions speak louder than words.

I wish video games were like sports and they could trade the Mass Effect series to someone else because I'm honestly not confident at all that they'd want to create the type of game anymore that die-hard Mass Effect fans would even want.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
After DA:I, Andromeda and Anthem, I've already lost hope that Bioware will make a game that I like. *goes replaying DA:Origins and ME2*

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Until I hear somebody with some clout at EA saying as such, BioWare will continue this yearly "we're not done with Mass Effect yet" echo from Casey and another random BioWare dev until time immemorial.

May 17, 2018

So weird how Burnout and Bulletstorm are pretty much the only remasters they did. Unless I'm missing some?

Wait, was the Bulletstorm remaster under EA?

Oct 29, 2017
3 ending is also a dead-end.

So, what else to do? Continue after Mass Effect 3 in the Milky Way, and Bioware will have to pick an ending which won't please fans at all.

Prequel is the safest option. Perhaps when Anderson was a candidate for become a Spectre.

Why would they want to continue a lacklustre story which had an unpopular ending? ME is one of, if not the best established universes in gaming, with basically infinite potential. Shepard as a character was a blank page, which had two cliche sides in different colours. His story was one of the usual saving the world type of thing that just got worse and worse.

The ME universe can be a place for anything, you could tell any story within it. Some of the very best SW stories are not about the big fight between the Sith and Jedi either.

I don't know why Shepard is considered a good character, so there's my bias in this. He is absolutely below-average (and in video games, that is telling).

So yeah, I think they had good intentions with Andromeda, they wanted to give the same sensation of exploration and discovery like the first game did, but ultimately they failed. I think the decision between Andromeda and a prequel was not an easy one for Bio, but I imagine the prequel would've been "too soon".

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wait, was the Bulletstorm remaster under EA?
Bulletstorm's remaster was NOT. Gearbox published that one (and put in the Duke Nukem version).

So, yeah, EA's still quite on their "no remasters or remakes" tear.

*sigh* My last THREE purchases were Kingdom Hearts PS4 collection, Shadow of the Colossus PS4, and Resident Evil 2 Remake.

Nostalgia is a helluva drug.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Mass Effect 4 needs to open on Marauder Shields, totally undo the ME3 ending bullshit, and just keep on going with Shepard and crew.

It would sell a metric fuckton and you all know it.

Feb 12, 2019
I really feel like Anthem should have just been set in the Mass Effect world. However, going forward I think if they really want to win fans and critics back they need to do a collected trilogy on PS4 and Xbox One.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
First thing they should do for the next game:

DON'T.
MAKE.
IT.
CENTERED.
ON.
HUMANS.

Seriously, just let us pick what race our protagonist is. That could have been easily implemented on Andromeda, yet they fucking locked the player to the most boring race in a rich universe full of way more interesting options.

I was actually talking about this with friends, Mass Effect created a universe that is way much more bigger and richer than the stories they want to tell in it.

Shadout

Oct 27, 2017
I'd gladly take more Mass Effect.
But it doesn't seem like they want to make that kind of game anymore.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

DON'T.
MAKE.
IT.
CENTERED.
ON.
HUMANS.

Seriously, just let us pick what race our protagonist is. That could have been easily implemented on Andromeda, yet they fucking locked the player to the most boring race in a rich universe full of way more interesting options.

I was actually talking about this with friends, Mass Effect created a universe that is way much more bigger and richer than the stories they want to tell in it.
Andromeda was perfect for it since EVERY race was having Pathfinders and exploring new planets at the same time. Nothing about the Ryder story demanded it be human-centric... Oh well.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017

DON'T.
MAKE.
IT.
CENTERED.
ON.
HUMANS.

as cool as this would be the reality is that would be virtually impossible to do satisfactorily. dragon age origins managed to sort of do this, but mostly because humans, elves, and dwarves can all fairly easily share the same animations (or at least, the rigging could be relatively easily changed between them) whereas mass effect has lots of aliens with vastly different body and face structures. making an RPG with the fidelity of mass effect that can account for the player being a human, turian, krogan, or volus for example would require an absurd amount of work. even cutscene framing would have to be changed pretty radically per species. that's also two more voice actors to hire per species... it really piles up. obviously loads of RPGs exist where the player does have this kind of freedom, but not in the AAA space. It's a bit easier to give players this kind of freedom in games that aren't fully voice-acted, have more abstracted interaction, etc.

it's really not a matter of "just" letting the player pick; it wouldn't be easy to implement at all. it'd be a monumental undertaking.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
whilst I'd love a new ME game, it's not going to be for a long time. I doubt we even see Dragon Age for a while yet even, sure they have their hands full with Anthem.

TiredGamer

Oct 27, 2017
And a lot of the plans they had for the game were right up my alley. Big, open, empty uncharted planets. Equipment and upgrades geared around surviving harsher conditions (like acquiring various levels of thermal protection, air filters for toxicity, etc).

Mass Effect Andromeda and No Man's Sky, now there's a tragedy in three acts.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I miss the old days when companies would outsource games if the original studio was busy doing other stuff. The modern games industry would never let stuff like Half Life: Opposing Force, FEAR: Extraction Point, KOTOR II, Fallout: New Vegas exist. Instead of entire games being outsourced to studios with the freedom to put a creative spin, we've now got publishers controlling IP with an iron fight and only allowing in-house studios or direct partners to tackle them. Outsourcing has changed meaning to studios tasked with doing grunt work for the main studio. The AAA-capable independent studio is disappearing.

Give Mass Effect to a bunch of studios. Let them create games in a variety of genres within that universe. Have some narrative insight for the sake of canon and consistency. But just make the darn games.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
If ME ever comes back, it will probably be a spin off that relies heavily on gaming services to work. Meaning micro transactions. I have very little hope for Bioware or EA games to be good. I have written them off a long time ago. The way they butchered Andromeda will never be forgivable.

Sep 26, 2018
I miss the old days when companies would outsource games if the original studio was busy doing other stuff. The modern games industry would never let stuff like Half Life: Opposing Force, FEAR: Extraction Point, KOTOR II, Fallout: New Vegas exist. Instead of entire games being outsourced to studios with the freedom to put a creative spin, we've now got publishers controlling IP with an iron fight and only allowing in-house studios or direct partners to tackle them. Outsourcing has changed meaning to studios tasked with doing grunt work for the main studio. The AAA-capable independent studio is disappearing.

Give Mass Effect to a bunch of studios. Let them create games in a variety of genres within that universe. Have some narrative insight for the sake of canon and consistency. But just make the darn games.
What studio you think would be best talent to work on mass effect and i think EA or Bioware don't trust anyone with mass effect after andromeda

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
I would rather see a Jade Empire sequel. Replayed the game recently, and I would love a sequel that expanded in the concepts of the Open Palm/Closed Fist philosophies (beyond Good & Evil trappings), and a Character Creation system.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What studio you think would be best talent to work on mass effect and i think EA or Bioware don't trust anyone with mass effect after andromeda
Any studio could make a Mass Effect game. Just as any studio could, and did, make a Star Wars game. The entire reason games like Star Wars: Jedi Knight 2 and Star Wars: Jedi Academy exist was because Lucasarts were willing to license the Jedi Knight series out to Raven Software. We got Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic because they were willing to license out to Bioware. We got KOTOR 2 because they were willing to license out to Obsidian. Gearbox did excellent work with the Half-Life series. You could give Mass Effect to Gearbox and get an excellent game in return. The pool of independent developers is shrinking. But you could cut deals with other publishers to use their development studios to make interesting games set in the Mass Effect universe instead of waiting years and years for Bioware to make something. Imagine if we had dozens of Mass Effect games in a swathe of genres. That's how you explore a universe.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a general consensus on how a follow up to ME3 should be framed? Thought Andromeda had a good setup (execution... ehhhhhh), separating itself from the main trilogy.

Do people really want them to pick a canon ending and just continue with Shepard or a story that takes place like 1000s of years later or something.

The best thing to do is remake the ending with a remastered trilogy so they are not painted into a corner.